F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type OR C7

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 06:32 PM
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Warranty correction

Correction. 2016 models have 5 year/60,000 mile factory warranty, plus 5 year/60,000 mile factory scheduled maintenance included. These features stay with the car even when it is sold to another party until the mileage or date expire.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (06-30-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahjik
I doubt he's had his C7 long enough to understand the maintenance costs just yet (which is what the OP is asking).
That's correct. I have no clue which is better from a maintenance cost standpoint because my F-Type cost me nothing in maintenance in 2 years other than an extra early oil change, and the C7 is also under warranty w/ 4 free oil changes included as a CPO extra benefit.

However, I can say having owned a C6 Z51 and a C6 Z06 that comparing the previous generation to the C7 Z51 is apples and oranges. The C7 Z51 is dramatically better in all performance respects. Looks feel are just a personal taste matter, and it's pretty damned hard to beat an F-Type on looks.

Performance wise, the base C7 is up 85HP and 120 ft lbs. of torque on the V6S, and it weighs 350-400 lbs. less than a V6s and 500 lbs. less than an R. While it's down on HP vs. the V8R, it has an equal power-to-weight ratio to the V8R because of the weight advantage.

Now the C7 Z06 is an entirely different animal.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
That's correct. I have no clue which is better from a maintenance cost standpoint because my F-Type cost me nothing in maintenance in 2 years other than an extra early oil change, and the C7 is also under warranty w/ 4 free oil changes included as a CPO extra benefit.

However, I can say having owned a C6 Z51 and a C6 Z06 that comparing the previous generation to the C7 Z51 is apples and oranges. The C7 Z51 is dramatically better in all performance respects. Looks feel are just a personal taste matter, and it's pretty damned hard to beat an F-Type on looks.

Performance wise, the base C7 is up 85HP and 120 ft lbs. of torque on the V6S, and it weighs 350-400 lbs. less than a V6s and 500 lbs. less than an R. While it's down on HP vs. the V8R, it has an equal power-to-weight ratio to the V8R because of the weight advantage.

Now the C7 Z06 is an entirely different animal.
C7 sounds like a strange choice for a wife's DD based on the supercar like numbers.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
This could be a real issue to think about.

The Jag will get her an enormous amount of attention. If you're comfortable with your wife being moved to engage in constant conversation about her car, then go Jag.

Listen to me when I say I can't go ANYWHERE without someone trying to force me into conversation about my car. When you're not in the mood, it gets very tiresome. More than you can even imagine unless you own one. I mean like driving or at stoplights, people speed forward or hang back to see the car closer and then look to see whose driving it. Literally, when a passenger sees my car next to them at a light, they will make the driver of their car look over and then start pointing. If you then make the mistake of making eye contact, they will roll down the window to ask questions or give you a thumbs up. Other people begin to start feeling like papparazzi and you start to do things like avoid driving without dark glasses on, or purposely take routes that are less populated. It's very strange. I appreciate people that acknowledge and gawk at my car but it just never ends. I can only imagine a woman with an F, she will definitely start to feel like a celebrity in the car. Vettes, however, dime a dozen, I never even look twice at them. As invisible as a Prius in California to me. In '08, I had a Bentley GT Continental. Back in '08 they were still expensive, rare and very exclusive. I honestly can't say the Bentley got any more attention than this F and the Bentley sold for twice the money. Have her be prepared...The attention will be like her driving a 66 split window Vette, not a new one.

If I were married, I personally wouldn't want my wife driving a new Vette as a DD though unless perhaps it was a classic. The macho muscle car wifey thing. Dunno...Seems corny and rural.

For sub $100K, I'd like to see my wife perhaps drive a Tesla, a sporty Lexus, a 911 or possibly an F. Muscle car - no.
ALL very appreciated observations.

Im secure enough in myself that I dont mind her getting attention, people are constantly asking for her autograph because they mistake her for Liv Tyler (I am a fortunate man). She's an exceptionally adept psychologist and is more than capable of dealing with the crowd (I often compare her to Hannibal Lector with Ta-Tas)

With that in mind...its not about what I am comfortable with her driving or want her to drive...etc. Its gonna be her car...her choice...her money. I am merely collecting infor for her to make an informed decision.

Unfortunately...now another contender has entered the game:
2015 F-Type....2016 C7....2010 XK

Horrible...horrible...first world decisions. Im still new to the "high end" market. Im a Jeep guy. Its all I need. But...happy wife...happy life.

Foosh (06-29-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

Best of luck to you, and you sound like one of the good guys.

4x4ever (06-29-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4ever
ALL very appreciated observations.

Im secure enough in myself that I dont mind her getting attention, people are constantly asking for her autograph because they mistake her for Liv Tyler (I am a fortunate man). She's an exceptionally adept psychologist and is more than capable of dealing with the crowd (I often compare her to Hannibal Lector with Ta-Tas)

With that in mind...its not about what I am comfortable with her driving or want her to drive...etc. Its gonna be her car...her choice...her money. I am merely collecting infor for her to make an informed decision.

Unfortunately...now another contender has entered the game:
2015 F-Type....2016 C7....2010 XK

Horrible...horrible...first world decisions. Im still new to the "high end" market. Im a Jeep guy. Its all I need. But...happy wife...happy life.
I didn't mean that you'd be insecure, but more if she'd want to deal with it.

I reread my post and did sound a bit chauvinistic but in the past, since I'm such a car guy, would never imagine her making a choice like this without my advice.

In your case, her being Hannibal Lector with ****, I'd leave her be to make her own decision without interference.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-29-2016 at 11:33 PM.
4x4ever (06-29-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 10:36 PM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Get an F-Type all day stand out and besides its more sexier than a Vette will ever be.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:42 PM

Buwahahahaaaaaaa........

My plot is exposed....

THANK YOU ALL. Sincerely.

I look forward to lots and lots of playful discussions to come.

Happy Trails.

Last edited by 4x4ever; 06-29-2016 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:14 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm cross-shopping the Z06 and the SVR. It's hard.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dylan Bigg
I'm cross-shopping the Z06 and the SVR. It's hard.
Yep, it is a hard choice, but for me, after 2 years of trying to convince myself I was equally happy w/ the ZF auto, which is truly a great automatic, I just couldn't live w/o an MT. Old habits die hard, so I'm back in a C7 7MT.

However, I continue to absolutely love the F-Type. I just wish it could lose 400 lbs.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:40 PM

I wouldn't really consider anything other than the SVR. I don't mind the Auto - generally I'd prefer a DCT, but I sure wouldn't ever pay over 100k for a manual car. That's just me though.
The Z06 is way faster in every way (presumably - we don't have track data on the SVR of course), looks as good (to me) sounds as good, and has at least as nice an interior (when specced right).

Old 06-29-2016, 11:54 PM
Veteran Member

No question the Z06 will be faster on the track. It holds the record for the 4th fastest production car ever at Laguna Seca.

Laguna Seca (post 1988) lap times - FastestLaps.com

Old 06-30-2016, 01:23 AM

Oh I'm well aware. Long gone are the days of "American cars can't corner". It's literally one of the fastest cars you can off the shelf, full stop. Closing in on Hypercar territory.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:15 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dylan Bigg
I wouldn't really consider anything other than the SVR. I don't mind the Auto - generally I'd prefer a DCT, but I sure wouldn't ever pay over 100k for a manual car. That's just me though.
The Z06 is way faster in every way (presumably - we don't have track data on the SVR of course), looks as good (to me) sounds as good, and has at least as nice an interior (when specced right).
The 3LT/3LZ interior is not as nice as the full leather interior of the the R. I've owned both. The SVR is at least a step ahead with as it has quilted leather.

Not only will you find better leather in the Jag, you'll find that just about everything is a little nicer, gear shift, knobs, etc. The two exceptions I would cite are the lack of real carbon fiber in the Jag and the hidden compartment in the vette.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:27 AM

Disagree, Sat in the 3LZ C7, and the extended leather R. Found the "bad" plastic switchgear bits to be equally ugly in both, but the leather coverage is better in the Vette (it actually has leather not scratchy plastic on the glovebox, as well as the entire door cards not just the upper parts with padded vinyl on the bottom like on the Jag). The Vette also has only a bit of CF (centre console like the Jag) but also has a nicer wheel (with CF) and those nice little CF seatbelt holes on the seats.
The silver bits are actually metal not plastic, and I overall find the interior layout more stylish and modern. The TFT Screens are also bigger and better. And that rad frameless mirror.

There are of course HEAPS of things I like about the SVR (the quilting will help, but hardly a game changer) - I am probably going to buy one. The interior on F-Types is really not a highlight for me though. That said, there is presumably an interior update coming in the facelift...that hopefully will kick things up a notch!

Foosh (06-30-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 09:05 AM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting! Your wife and I are probably twin spirits. You could have been describing me and my husband in your post. His Jeep is Hydro Blue with every cool add on you can imagine.

I too cross shopped a C7.R and the SVR. I went with Jaguar because of the sheer number of Corvettes on the road and my desire to be more exclusive. Jaguar also has the best warranty and maintenance going right now. In my case as I am looking at the highest trim level of each choice, I had to look really hard at paying well over 100k for a Chevy or for a Jag. I dont like to do either of course, but I have this litle problem when it comes to cars........ I WANT!!!

Old 06-30-2016, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

4X4Ever,
Since this is an F-type forum, it seems no one picked up on your final contender option, a 2010XK. Since I have a 2010XKR, I thought I'd weigh in. First if you talk price, a 2010XK (not R) with low miles can be purchased in the mid $20K range, less than half the price of even a used 2014 F type. I love the F-type, I had a convertible for a week when they first became available, and just had a blast, but found the interior too cramped, had some bits and pieces in the interior that were not up to par, and it could not pass the two golf club bag test. The sound and performance, however, were stunning. The XK/XKR is obviously larger and more relaxed inside, the coupe fits the 2 bag requirement, and with the same 5.0L engine of the F-type V-8, has plenty of scoot. I find both cars amazingly beautiful to look at, so that's a toss-up. If performance is important for your wife (or you), a 2010 XKR can be had in the low to mid $30K range. With a $1000 tune/pulley combination (as I have) you have a 600hp car with a great suspension, maybe not as sporty as an F-type, but certainly a taut, luxurious ride that is nearly unrivaled (even by the F-type). For not much more money, the 2012+ XK/XKR with the sleeker headlights w/l.e.d. halos and rearview camera makes a compelling argument.

Whichever of the cars your wife chooses of these three, I'm sure she'll have a great time, they're all terrific choices.

Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails F-Type  OR   C7-group-b-esses-speed-shots-cp4_2059-jan3015-photo_by_brian-1024x683-.jpg  
Old 06-30-2016, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by IMMD
The SVR is at least a step ahead with as it has quilted leather. .
I find that quilting to be very off-putting. It's like stepping into a coffin.

Burt Gummer (07-11-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Docmalone
Interesting! Your wife and I are probably twin spirits. You could have been describing me and my husband in your post. His Jeep is Hydro Blue with every cool add on you can imagine.

I too cross shopped a C7.R and the SVR. I went with Jaguar because of the sheer number of Corvettes on the road and my desire to be more exclusive. Jaguar also has the best warranty and maintenance going right now. In my case as I am looking at the highest trim level of each choice, I had to look really hard at paying well over 100k for a Chevy or for a Jag. I dont like to do either of course, but I have this litle problem when it comes to cars........ I WANT!!!
Howdy, Doc. Kindred Spirits, to be sure. We live in Taylor and She has a private practice that takes her everywhere from Leander to South Central Austin.....meaning she gets to play on MOPAC for far more hours than can rightfully bill. Too bad most of that time on MOPAC is spent sitting...and not prowling. LOL

My wife is also slightly put-off by the now "mundane" status of the Vette. Every now and then we would be cruising to some spot and it would occur to us out of nowhere...holy crap this is an awesome car!!! Of course, anytime we went anywhere and would get the gawking stares and compliments it would wake us from our oblivious smugness and we would be reminded of what we have accomplished. And we would remind the admirers that in the end...its still a car with a job to do. And we would thank them sincerely for their compliments.

Im sure we/she will have the same sort of exultation to begin with. And I am sure the shiny will eventually wear off the new toy and we/she will gradually become jaded and take it all for granted. And I am sure that we will once again be genuinely thankful when some student in a crappy junker pull up alon side of us and compliments the "F" and reminds us that "There WITH the grace of God DID go I."

Sometimes I miss my POS junker. Hoping I would make it to work without a SIGNIFICANT breakdown. Hoping nobody saw me pull into the parking lot. Sometimes I miss those days that somehow seem simpler but sure didnt feel that way at the time.

But, alas....it is a done deal....The ink is dry...Saturday there is to be a beautiful new(ish) kitten purring its way home. A 200 mile introduction to the Jag life.

Happy wife.

Thanks again to everyone for their input. I very truly appreciate it.

And just because I dont want to come off as too much of a poetic pansy...I do like to stirr-up the (dust) every now and then....if I was into power or performance....I would have campaigned for a Hellcat Challrngr and had ALL the pony's for half the price.....and an unlimited lifetime bumper to bumper warranty as with my Jeep. Or I would have drooled over the Tesla more blatantly. But this is HER car (wink) and she didnt ask me what I would get. (wink-again)

The deal with the bad-*** chick in the bad-*** car is simply this:
"You know I CAN, but I choose if and when."

Its kinda of like the reciprocal philosophy of the Jeep mentality:
Anyone...anytime...anywhere...anyway...Been there, done that, went back for more.

Ok....enough pontificating for today.

See yall on the streets/roads/trails

Last edited by 4x4ever; 06-30-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:00 PM
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

The C7, esp. the Z06, might be a better track/sports car, but the F-Type is the better road car in my opinion. The suspension is more compliant, and the car more comfortable to cruise long distances in. Also, the F-Type offers AWD, so it's usable even in winter time unlike the 'Vette.