Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type OR C7

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by psb1013
The C7, esp. the Z06, might be a better track/sports car, but the F-Type is the better road car in my opinion. The suspension is more compliant, and the car more comfortable to cruise long distances in. Also, the F-Type offers AWD, so it's usable even in winter time unlike the 'Vette.
I spent quite a bit of time in a C7 Z06 at the track recently, and in stock form is one of the worst track cars to buy. It's mainly down to the OEM tires. In stock form, the nannies kick in on every corner. If you disable the nannies, the car wants to swap ends every time the throttle is being used out of the corners. The car just has too much power for the OEM tires. I had seen a review comparing it to the Viper and thought the guys were crazy until I experienced it. The Grand Sport will make a much better track car when it starts hitting the streets.

Old 06-30-2016, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

That's exactly what I would have guessed. The new GS is nothing more than a Z51 w/ the Z06 wide-body and more tire. It has the same engine, trans, and other internals. I agree the Z51/GS is the ideal track car, and it's easy go to larger tires on the Z51 for the track.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-30-2016 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:05 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll chime in now that the XK is in the mix. My wife and I drive a VERY low mileage (12.5k on the clock when we bought it) 2011 XKR convertible. I was all for the Vette and my wife said "no"....let's drive a Jag. I fell in love with it instantly which I was not expecting. It is plenty fast. And in my opinion more of a touring car than the F Type. You can get 2 sets of golf clubs and 2 suitcases in the XKR.

It has all the appeal and the exclusivity that comes with driving a Jaguar. The XKR is a great choice and you can find a 2012-2014 for around $60k. You are getting an amazing car still under warranty for basically half price. An XK (non supercharged) can be had for probably $40k.

My wife gives the XKR two thumbs and she drove the F Type. She liked the F type but she loved the XKR. It is just a little more practical but will still plaster you into the back of your seat when you really want to go.

Good luck with your decision!!!!!

Old 06-30-2016, 03:48 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The XK is a much better put together car. If they were still doing the XKR-S GT, I'd be doing that instead.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:59 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The new Jags offer elite care for 5 years. That's much better than the C7. My wife really enjoys the F Type S and especially the safety features. Pick the Jag, it's a nicer ride in terms of class, safety and maintenance.

Best regards

Old 06-30-2016, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaguilar
The new Jags offer elite care for 5 years. That's much better than the C7. My wife really enjoys the F Type S and especially the safety features. Pick the Jag, it's a nicer ride in terms of class, safety and maintenance.

Best regards
Yes, I believe the general consensus across the population would be that the Jaguar F type is currently the best looking car of its type... other considerations may prevail.

Anyway, my wife would decide for herself which car she wanted and would likely resent, to some extent, if she thought I was trying to influence her to a choice that I thought she should get... and I certainly appreciate that about her. Hopefully your input will be taken well.
Lawrence

Old 06-30-2016, 05:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am careful to provide only the data she asks me to find, and only the opinions she asks me to share, and I am very clear which is which.

But, at the same time, I'm never more than a glance away...so that she doesnt have to feel like I've abandoned her to deal with all of this on her own. Present without being intrusive.

We are a pretty good team.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Pictures please.....

Old 06-30-2016, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
Pictures please.....
All I have for ya at the moment is the web-listing
2015 Jaguar F-TYPE - Park Place

We are avid amateur shutter-bugs so I have a hunch we might snap a shot here and there.

I dont wanna be "that guy" who fills up a bunch of space with photos of a car that looks pretty much like everyone else's (on this forum). But the setting and context may make a few shots worth seeing.

Im fond of juxtaposition. So I plan to try to lure her out into the desert where I play. Fear not...I wont get the kitty dirty. But I envision that deep black fuselage contrasting nicely against some of the red sandstone and pink granite....

Oooops..... My imagination wanders....

Last edited by 4x4ever; 06-30-2016 at 06:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jaguny (07-01-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Congrats to your wife! (maybe you, too.)

Old 06-30-2016, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by tberg
Congrats to your wife! (maybe you, too.)

If Its like her Vette....I'll get to drive it when she needs an oil change or something serviced.

Funny how it can take me an hour to drive a high performance car to a destination just 2-3 miles away.

Seems I get myself "lost" all too easily.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Looking forward to the photos.....redundancy doesn't get old with this car, and people can tell you about all the upgrades you should do

Old 07-11-2016, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Is the transferable warranty on the F-type 2015 models less then the 2016s?

2016 being 5 years x 60k miles? Hard to find 2015 warranty info via Google search.

Originally Posted by Jaguilar

Best regards

Old 07-11-2016, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Is the transferable warranty on the F-type 2015 models less then the 2016s?

2016 being 5 years x 60k miles? Hard to find 2015 warranty info via Google search.
'14 & '15: 4 years , 50k miles, 1st year service only

Old 07-11-2016, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts
SinF (07-12-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 09:26 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by schraderade
Don't disagree and I would prefer to watch a couple of well trained fencers BUUT, for either fighting or tree cutting If I am the one doing it and it is serious I know which one I would take

Still would choose the jag for driving though

Old 07-11-2016, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by schraderade
LOL . . . the labels in this picture are completely backwards if you're comparing the R to the C7. The C7 is by far the better handling car, and is far lighter.

I absolutely adore the F-Type for what it is, but in this case it's the RWD R which is the chain saw. The curvy track times tell the story and aren't particularly close, with the C7 substantially quicker.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-11-2016 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
LOL . . . the labels in this picture are completely backwards if you're comparing the R to the C7. The C7 is by far the better handling car, and is far lighter.

I absolutely adore the F-Type for what it is, but in this case it's the RWD R which is the chain saw. The curvy track times tell the story and aren't particularly close, with the C7 substantially quicker.
Actually the point was that the cars have different purposes. The C7 is more technically advanced and performs better functionally in almost all race respects. It is, however a more brutish car with a more brutish pedigree and reputation. Hence the chainsaw.

The F-Type is beautiful and just has a different purpose and a more refined drivers experience, although less performant. Hence the rapier.

You could say the F-type is a Holland & Holland hunting rifle and the C7 is an M16. Or the F-Type is dating Eva Green and the C7 is dating a **** star....

Mulmur (07-12-2016)
Old 07-12-2016, 12:35 PM
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

I bought a base convertible for my wife, it replaced her 2013 BMW 135is, it's her DD. She works with a very nice Guy who owns a '57 (I think) Vette and he invited us to join the local Corvette Club on a Poker run last Saturday for a worthy cause.

When we showed up there were probably 50 plus Vettes all lined up, all eyes were on us, not because our Car was any better, it's just that few had ever seen an F-Type parked amongst a huge amount of Corvettes. it was a novelty.

I like Corvettes, but know little about them, I wanted to walk around and ask questions, learn something about them, but I was pinned to ours answering questions , but we did earn a lot of compliments, so well done Jaguar!!

The route took us around Newport Coast etc, we were driving in a Caravan of 5 Corvettes, a couple of new ones. The funniest part was when we pulled into the check points to draw Cards, the comments were priceless, mostly "What the hell is THIS"!!!???

We finished the morning at a Restaurant for brunch and were told to come back next year and bring some friends with F-Types, I told them we don't have any Friends with F-Types, so next year I will post the event so fellow Jag owners can join us. As they said, it's a fund raiser, so any kind of Sports Car is welcome.

Having said that, back on topic, it's awesome to own a Car that is not only great as a DD but is also fantastic as a weekend Toy and can be taken to Car events and draw a lot of admirers. And has a 60 month warranty and complimentary service.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member

There is a lot of respect among informed Corvette owners for the F-Type. In many ways, they are more similar than different.

The apples-to-apples comparison of an R RWD to a C7 would put them both in the "brute force" category. Interestingly enough, those two models have nearly identical power-to-weight ratios. Of course, there is no Corvette V6.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-12-2016 at 05:21 PM.