F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type OR C7

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I appreciate current generation Corvette for what it is - marvelous car that is a deal at price vs. capability... but the image of a typical used Corvette's driver is such drastic negative that it outright removes the car from my consideration. I don't ever want to be mistaken for one of those.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

LOL . . . I wouldn't ever want to be the type that cares what other people think, or even worse, stereotypes others based upon the car they drive. Corvette owners are just like F-Type owners, a lot of nice people with some real jerks mixed in.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-12-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:51 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

True- while there are some stereotypical vette owners there are plenty more die hard vette lovers who are incredibly loyal (and nice). Just go to a vette show and you'll be blown away by the level of enthusiasm for the brand. You'll also meet a number of very friendly owners who love to talk about cars.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
There is a lot of respect among informed Corvette owners for the F-Type. In many ways, they are more similar than different.

The apples-to-apples comparison of an R RWD to a C7 would put them both in the "brute force" category. Interestingly enough, those two models have nearly identical power-to-weight ratios. Of course, there is no Corvette V6.
+1

Old 07-12-2016, 09:46 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitesurfer
True- while there are some stereotypical vette owners there are plenty more die hard vette lovers who are incredibly loyal (and nice). Just go to a vette show and you'll be blown away by the level of enthusiasm for the brand. You'll also meet a number of very friendly owners who love to talk about cars.
I would be one of the diehards. I've owned 6 Corvettes since 1985; two 82's, an 89 conv, 98 conv, 06 conv. (still own), and a 13 427 conv. I have a huge library of Corvette stuff plus a large collection of Corvette related paraphernalia. I'm also on my second Jaguar. The first was a 98 XJR that I had for 9 years and now my current 16 F Type R conv.

FWIW I had a choice between a new Z06 convertible or the F Type R. The F Type impressed me that much.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:34 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
I would be one of the diehards. I've owned 6 Corvettes since 1985; two 82's, an 89 conv, 98 conv, 06 conv. (still own), and a 13 427 conv. I have a huge library of Corvette stuff plus a large collection of Corvette related paraphernalia. I'm also on my second Jaguar. The first was a 98 XJR that I had for 9 years and now my current 16 F Type R conv.

FWIW I had a choice between a new Z06 convertible or the F Type R. The F Type impressed me that much.
We must be kindred spirits--my first Jag was a 98 XJR which I absolutely loved for many years--unfortunately one of the few times my wife drove it the radiator cap failed and she let the engine get too hot causing a warped cylinder or two. I have a 73 Corvette I purchased when new, and I was torn between an F-type R and the soon to be out ZO6. My R is a pleasure to drive between Memphis and Destin.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts
Default F-type or Caddy

Game changer....

Attached Thumbnails F-Type  OR   C7-8.jpg  
Old 07-13-2016, 07:27 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Tally Ho

Vette loyalty is across the board whether it be a 58 or 2016 model. Will we see the same following and level of enthusiasm among F-Type owners in the years to come? The devotion is clearly evident amongst vette owners and it's never been about buying a vette because it was the best car on the road although starting with the C6 it certainly supports the argument that modern era vette's offer the best bang for the buck.

I love my C2. Have thought about selling it now that we have the F-Type but I can't do it as I think it would fall into the thread "biggest mistake you have made with a car". And I hope we feel the same way about the F-Type down the road. It has certainly grown on us.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

The word "iconic" gets thrown around all too easily, but there's no question that the Corvette has earned its place in automotive history. As has far too many cars to even mention. The Jaguar "E" has certainly been, properly, put in that category - it's place in the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art is testament to that - and I am pleased to have bought a 2015 V6S Coupe, the first year of a coupe, and whether it, or any F-Type, finds its place in history (or deemed iconic) is yet to be seen. My guess is it will as it hits on all the "right" buttons (especially the button which makes it even louder!).

Old 07-13-2016, 03:34 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj

If I were married, I personally wouldn't want my wife driving a new Vette as a DD though unless perhaps it was a classic. The macho muscle car wifey thing. Dunno...Seems corny and rural.

For sub $100K, I'd like to see my wife perhaps drive a Tesla, a sporty Lexus, a 911 or possibly an F. Muscle car - no.
So let me get this straight. Muscle cars are rural, macho, only for men and if a woman owns one it's corny. What other things should a woman not desire or posses? How strange that you aren't married lol.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Overblown
So let me get this straight. Muscle cars are rural, macho, only for men and if a woman owns one it's corny. What other things should a woman not desire or posses? How strange that you aren't married lol.
I'm not entitled to a preference? It's not uncommon or an aberration for a wife to ask a husband, especially a car guy, for suggestions is it? You took it to the forbidding stage as if I was initiating some form of Sharia law. It's too obvious to state anybody can drive what they want - but for my wife to drive an over-the-top 600hp growling muscle car everyday seems to me, yea, a bit corny, in fact corny as hell. That's not cheating her of her desires, merely my take on her image.

Had a prospective wife ran from the alter because I offered to put her in a split window 427 Vette, I'd then question if she had the taste to spend the rest of my life with anyways.

Is it chauvanistic to have an opinion on a certain car being better suited for a woman > man?, An older woman > younger girl?, A wife > your GF? Your daughter?

What if you met a girl say at a restaurant, you walk her to her car and you see she drives a F-Type. Now Imagine you see her walk to a H1 Hummer.

Still looking. Know of anyone?

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 07-13-2016 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:51 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gotwish
We must be kindred spirits--my first Jag was a 98 XJR which I absolutely loved for many years--unfortunately one of the few times my wife drove it the radiator cap failed and she let the engine get too hot causing a warped cylinder or two. I have a 73 Corvette I purchased when new, and I was torn between an F-type R and the soon to be out ZO6. My R is a pleasure to drive between Memphis and Destin.
Next time you're headed to Destin let me know. The XJR was my wife's DD (I picked it out, though). She still misses that car. She is overjoyed with the F Type. It's actually her fault I got into the Corvette hobby. I'm glad I did. She's buying me a Challenger Hellcat next year although I think she'll be the one driving it more.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:41 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm not entitled to a preference? It's not uncommon or an aberration for a wife to ask a husband, especially a car guy, for suggestions is it? You took it to the forbidding stage as if I was initiating some form of Sharia law. It's too obvious to state anybody can drive what they want - but for my wife to drive an over-the-top 600hp growling muscle car everyday seems to me, yea, a bit corny, in fact corny as hell. That's not cheating her of her desires, merely my take on her image.

Had a prospective wife ran from the alter because I offered to put her in a split window 427 Vette, I'd then question if she had the taste to spend the rest of my life with anyways.

Is it chauvanistic to have an opinion on a certain car being better suited for a woman > man?, An older woman > younger girl?, A wife > your GF? Your daughter?

What if you met a girl say at a restaurant, you walk her to her car and you see she drives a F-Type. Now Imagine you see her walk to a H1 Hummer.

Still looking. Know of anyone?
First of all, I was just yanking your chain. A jesting rib.

Second, as for the girl in your scenario, I'd be intrigued by both actually. As a car guy, I find any enthusiasm for cars by females attractive. For instance, my favorite girlfriend has a 73 corvette, 4 speed, lopey cam and side pipes. The only part of that that sucks to me is that she doesn't wear skirts as much because you've got to wide leg it when getting in and out so as to avoid burning your legs on the pipes.

To each their own though.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Game changer....
Nope. Don't like it. It looks like your driving a kleenex box.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Game changer....
Blech!

Old 07-14-2016, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member
Default I really think the Caddy Eldo is near perfection

for what it is.

Really surprised at your take.

Attached Thumbnails F-Type  OR   C7-2016-cadillac-eldorado-side.gif  
Old 07-14-2016, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

F-Type R. This coupe feels more solid, more composed than the F-Type cabrio, and it makes a properly deranged array of noises, even if some are a mite synthetic. Convince the F to put the power to the tarmac rather than frittering its rear tyres to dust, and you’ll discover a fearsome-fast straight-line car: we clocked a 0-60mph time of 3.9 seconds. And, probably most importantly for potential buyers, the F-Type looks magnificent inside and out, even in the Strangely Brown paintjob of our test car

Old 07-14-2016, 12:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mackenzieoz
F-Type R. This coupe feels more solid, more composed than the F-Type cabrio, and it makes a properly deranged array of noises, even if some are a mite synthetic. Convince the F to put the power to the tarmac rather than frittering its rear tyres to dust, and you’ll discover a fearsome-fast straight-line car: we clocked a 0-60mph time of 3.9 seconds. And, probably most importantly for potential buyers, the F-Type looks magnificent inside and out, even in the Strangely Brown paintjob of our test car
F's come in brown? Now that is a new one on me.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jag uses the ZF which is a smart move, and its a great transmission. saves a lot of cost to develop new automatic transmissions, so they could have money to built a new performance gearbox. But on the other hand the E-DIFF in the Jag overheats when you starts doing too much powerslide. It become open diff for a while, but eventually it comes back up

Old 07-14-2016, 04:50 PM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

C7 looks cheap and plasticky.