F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Changes by Year

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question F-Type Changes by Year

I am very interested in an F-Type, however, I would like to understand the changes by year. Is there a more comprehensive listing than what is shown in Wikipedia that I can reference? Also, are there any years that are particularly troublesome? I am currently leaning toward an S model in RWD for performance and lighter weight.

Thanks in advance for any direction you can provide.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:39 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by daschtick
I am very interested in an F-Type, however, I would like to understand the changes by year. Is there a more comprehensive listing than what is shown in Wikipedia that I can reference? Also, are there any years that are particularly troublesome? I am currently leaning toward an S model in RWD for performance and lighter weight.

RWD vs AWD is the key difference, transitioning during MY 2016. Plus incremental cosmetic tweaks that go from minor to not so great. If you care about car play you need a later model, I just BT my phone.

I went through the same analysis and decided on the V8 S as the best performing, best looking, and the cheapest F. I added a Racechip and a SC pulley for under $1000 to bring it to 560 WHP/666 BHP using VAPs 15.5% drivetrain loss as a BHP guide.

The V8 RWD cars weigh the same as the V6 AWD cars. You can go lighter still with a V6 RWD, but the V8 adds 50% more HP for a reasonable 180 lbs.

Its definitely worth getting one with very low miles so you can change the oil frequently. We have a hot SC motor with a pretty small oil sump and more GDI soot. With long-interval oil changes F-Types risk timing chain wear, bearing wear, and supercharger rattles. eDiff oil changes are important too.

Last edited by RacerX; 05-04-2020 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:43 PM
Banned

whups

Last edited by RacerX; 05-04-2020 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

which S are you talking about? The V8 or V6?

Old 05-05-2020, 12:25 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

Reading this forum will give you the best comparative information you can find.
Edmonds website gives a pretty good side by side comparison of vehicles for specifications, standard equipment, and options.

Old 05-05-2020, 12:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Go here and download all the F-Type brochures: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...5/#post2174999

Last edited by OzXFR; 05-05-2020 at 12:37 AM.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To clarify, I am located in the US, and I am leaning toward a V6 S RWD model for the lighter weight and availability. In the US, it appears that all of the V8 models from 2016 and up have AWD, which I would rather not have. To provide some context, my previous plan was to purchase a Boxster, so I am comfortable with the power of the V6, but would also prefer to keep the weight as low as possible. Also, the link to all of the brochures was extremely helpful!

Old 05-05-2020, 09:54 AM
Banned

To clarify, I am located in the US, and I am leaning toward a V6 S RWD model for the lighter weight and availability. In the US, it appears that all of the V8 models from 2016 and up have AWD, which I would rather not have. To provide some context, my previous plan was to purchase a Boxster, so I am comfortable with the power of the V6, but would also prefer to keep the weight as low as possible. Also, the link to all of the brochures was extremely helpful!
The V6 uses the same block as the V8, so the difference is something like 175 lbs. The 2014 V8 S and 2015 R have a higher power to weight than any SVR and are almost the lightest F-Types ever made. It's well worth going V8 in the F-Type market because of the big power difference and relatively minor weight difference.

Plus the V8's gearing is one of the lowest you'll find anywhere, so you are looking at idle-like hwy cruising and very low engine revolutions/wear per mile. Its debatable if the V6 gets higher mpg, not that anyone cares anymore.

Last edited by RacerX; 05-05-2020 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

Lightweight and F-Type don't belong in the same sentence. It's not a lightweight car and never will be. It will never feel like a Boxster. Shedding 140 lbs off a Boxster would be a noticeable difference. With the F-Type, not so much.

It's one of those things where you need to drive them. IMO, the weight of the AWD system is more than balanced out and it doesn't feel like a heavier car to me. Having said that, there is a huge appeal to a true RWD F-Type, but it has more to do with being a hooligan than any weight loss.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Here's a post that might help as you begin your search:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...0/#post2214773

Old 05-05-2020, 01:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I looked for quite a while to find a color with options that I wanted and gave up on finding a V6-S. Instead I bought a base V6 for $thousands less than a comparable S and for $1000 can be easily tuned by VAP to have more horsepower and torque than the S. The S still has a few items that I don't have mainly 19" wheels, slightly larger brakes, and a few cosmetic changes but for the price difference I am very happy.

Old 05-05-2020, 05:32 PM
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

I knew I wanted a V8 for sure and decided on the AWD because I wanted a car that would hook up when accelerating from a stop.
Got tired of having high horsepower cars that couldn’t use the power (aka get beat by lesser cars).

Old 05-05-2020, 09:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Poison Ivy
I knew I wanted a V8 for sure and decided on the AWD because I wanted a car that would hook up when accelerating from a stop.
Got tired of having high horsepower cars that couldn’t use the power (aka get beat by lesser cars).
Thats a good reason to go AWD. Its the only reason IMO as the RWD is a little more powerful. I'm stuck at 3.4 secs with mediocre Mich 4Ss. As soon as the tires wear a bit more and the Toyo's price hopefully halves or less, I'm going to try R888Rs. As far as losing to lesser cars, thats never happened. But hooking up is challenging with a tuned RWD. A great problem to have IMO, but the AWD will probably squirt out in front from a stop.

Also, I'm not 100% certain the RWD will lose a distance race to 60 mph. The extra weight of the AWD hurts. The RWDs on Dragy go ~30 feet farther with only a couple tenths difference.

The distance race is closer than the timed race to 60 makes it seem, because F=MA and the both the F (torque) is maybe 5% higher due to RWD vs AWD drive train losses, and Mass is 5% lower.

So AWD spends maybe 10% of its power to weight ratio on traction. For some unknown period of time in a sraight line race, that's a winning trade. On twisties or from a rolling start, all else equal, AWD is a not-insignificant disadvantage. A tune is worth around 10%, so its feelable.

Last edited by RacerX; 05-05-2020 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:33 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This is still my favorite version