F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F type comparison - competition

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 02:38 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default F type comparison - competition

Last month on business trip I rented a Maserati Ghibli - could not have been happier to get back to my Ftype R (2016). This month I rented a 370Z. Same result. The auto transmission in the 370 is horrible and for any of you mourning the fact that the R is all wheel drive should drive the 370 and see if you can get any of the power down on the road with their two rear wheels. Once again, driving these other cars has given me a great appreciation for just how good - and well thought out - the f type actually is

The following users liked this post:
IRRBrogue (01-20-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 04:00 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I wouldn't have thought really that the 370 is comparison material really (what I'm driving at the moment) with the R version
The Nissan gear box is well known for its erm.... agricultural feel
Mine is manual, I have to say, very rarely have I been unable to get the "power down" though ....... its very chuckable and lots of fun in the twisties

Old 01-20-2016, 04:04 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Similarly, not sure the Ghibli is really in the same class as the F-Type. When I was shopping competitors for the F-Type the competition I considered from Maserati was the GranTurismo.

As you probably expect, I found that the GranTurismo to be an absolutely beautiful car but it's the size of a small yacht and handles about as well as one. Also underpowered when compared to F-Type R.

Last edited by LobsterClaws; 01-20-2016 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
Similarly, not sure the Ghibli is really in the same class as the F-Type. When I was shopping competitors for the F-Type the competition I considered from Maserati was the GranTurismo.

As you probably expect, I found that the GranTurismo to be an absolutely beautiful car but it's the size of a small yacht and handles about as well as one. Also underpowered when compared to F-Type R.
That matches my feelings as well. The Ghibli was very nicely finished, sounded great, and drove quite well for a sedan, but it *is* a sedan. The Gran Turismo is more like it, but priced out of my range. It was the best sounding car of *any* I drove though. It sounds better than the F-Type V8. I haven't driven an R, but the comparing the V8S to the GT was close. The V8S was a little more raw and seemed more powerful, and the GT sounded better. The R is going to be faster yet, but the song the GT sings is wonderful.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:54 AM
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

For me the "competition" to the F-Type is the Aston Martin Vantage V8. Both gorgeous, which doesn't go out-of-style nor is ever "dated." Same wheelbase, same size, 2 seaters, similar full leather interiors even down to the center seam in the seats. Both with outdated MMI's, but who cares? FT easily outpowers the AM, but there's no lack of power, and both will go faster than I ever want to go and get you there quicker than I want to arrive. With the introduction of the AM GT 2 years ago, at $99K, the price is competitive as well. Differences? of course. You can get the manual in the AM, but not in the FT, and no AWD in the AM, I think. You gotta drive them both to decide, but I doubt you can rent either very easily on a business trip... well not easily in the US.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

My wife has the Ghibli, and a very nice car might I add. I would have, and didn't even try to compare this to the "F" type S. Two completely different machines.

I almost bought the Gran Turismo, 2014 "new" might I add 6 weeks ago. Deal was $92K, and it was damned tempting. Then my family got a hold of my senses, and I let it go. GT is a very nice car, but the technology was backwards and lacking to say the least. A good comparison to the F-Type, but as we say in NJ....."Nice but no cigar"!

Old 01-24-2016, 10:09 AM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mjm3457
For me the "competition" to the F-Type is the Aston Martin Vantage V8. Both gorgeous, which doesn't go out-of-style nor is ever "dated." Same wheelbase, same size, 2 seaters, similar full leather interiors even down to the center seam in the seats. Both with outdated MMI's, but who cares? FT easily outpowers the AM, but there's no lack of power, and both will go faster than I ever want to go and get you there quicker than I want to arrive. With the introduction of the AM GT 2 years ago, at $99K, the price is competitive as well. Differences? of course. You can get the manual in the AM, but not in the FT, and no AWD in the AM, I think. You gotta drive them both to decide, but I doubt you can rent either very easily on a business trip... well not easily in the US.
Your right, plus the design of both was overseen by Ian Callum. Both engines are "loosely" based on the AJV8, even though they went opposite directions. The Jag forced induction higher HP and torque lower rpm engine. The Aston naturally asperated lower HP and torque high rpm engine. Both have their pluses and minuses. Both beautiful.