F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type concept ; wil it be hybrid or full electric.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 262 Likes on 196 Posts
Talking F-Type concept ; wil it be hybrid or full electric.

I asked my dealer before ordering my 18.5MY 4-pot coupé if [when] there would be a hybrid or electric version... A hybrid would solve the "noisy start" problem in suburbia too...

He said there was no place to put batteries in an F-Type and the successor model would not be around before 2022... But given the P400E LR sport, and the hybrid for RR
and the defender successor, it might not be impossible to integrate the electric motor in the gearbox [BMW330e-style] , build by ZF I suppose. Same setup as used in P400E...

But what about this : a booster electric engine as a " PUSH-TO-PASS " electric "virtual nitrogen" injection... ..maybe the setup for the new 4/6/8 in line ICE engine

Last edited by Dan_NL; 03-04-2018 at 08:13 AM. Reason: wrong url
Old 03-04-2018, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Something to keep in mind: Dealers never know what's coming down the pipeline in advance. We would never tell them in advance because their job isn't to sell future product, its to sell current stuff. Typically the dealers are briefed at the same time as the media information is released.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stohlen:
NBCat (03-04-2018), ndabunka (03-04-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I think it would be interesting to see EU-based and US-based brands diverge in approach to autos. Outside California, there is simply no demand for electric vehicles in North America. So all-electric Jaguars won't sell here and with EU starting to ban non-electric cars, ICE cars won't sell there.

Old 03-04-2018, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
I think it would be interesting to see EU-based and US-based brands diverge in approach to autos. Outside California, there is simply no demand for electric vehicles in North America. So all-electric Jaguars won't sell here and with EU starting to ban non-electric cars, ICE cars won't sell there.
Detached from reality much? If there was "no market for electric in North America" then Tesla would not be in business today. Your post makes an argument that nearly 100% of Tesla's live in Cali which is ...absent from reality.

An all-electric Jag could be faster than the Telsa simply due to lighter and less metal but all the Tesla's selling are four seaters rather than the 2-seaters so I would suggest that the best fit would be in a sedan rather than a sportscar.

One other aspect that nobody seems to have yet raised in this thread is that vehicle manufacturer's are only given a set number of cars that qualify for government rebates/discounts when purchased new. In the case of Tesla that meant that buyers were getting as much as $7,500 off their cars at purchase. That government "subsidy" will soon expire so Telsa may well have to reduce their prices by that amount to remain as desirable as they have been so far. Now, once Jag DOES offer an all-electric, they will then have that subsidy for their first 200,000 vehicles so.. that IS an incentive that plays a HUGE part in peoples decision on electric.

NOTE: We have owned at least one Hybrid vehicle since the introduction of the Toyota Highlander SUV for 9 years & now a Lexus ES300h so are fans of the 35+MPG we are getting out of a luxury sedan that has more room in it than my prior BMW 750Li had with it's 19MPG restrictions.

Last edited by ndabunka; 03-04-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Detached from reality much? If there was "no market for electric in North America" then Tesla would not be in business today. Your post makes an argument that nearly 100% of Tesla's live in Cali which is ...absent from reality.

+1. Tesla’s are a dime a dozen around the DC area. Almost as ubiquitous as MINIs have become.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:50 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, even in south Texas I see Teslas, Priuses, and Volts on a daily basis.