F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Convertible Roof Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 11:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F-Type Convertible Roof Problem

Hi, I have a bit of a strange issue with my F-Type and I wondered if anyone would be able to give me any help or advice?

I went to use the convertible roof today for the first time in a couple of months. Upon operating it the windows dropped as the always did, the roof unlatches and then nothing happens. If you try moving the switch the other way to close it that also doesn't do anything and all you get is the 'roof unlatched, don't exceed 30mph' message on the instrument cluster. If you re latch the roof manually and try again, the same thing happens, it will unlatch and then just go dead with the exception of the message on the dash when trying to operate in either direction. So far I have only checked the fuses which are all fine.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I will be really grateful for any advice anyone may have before I get my pants pulled down by Jaguar! I did try searching first for someone with the same issue, and although there are a lot of people having rood issues, my one seems to be different.

Old 01-26-2020, 11:55 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Quite a common issue.

Put the battery on charge over night and try again in the morning or just start the engine.

The main latch and retract motors for the hood need a lot of current to drive them and if your battery is just a shade off 100%, they just won't be able to retract or indeed latch again until the battery voltage is raised e.g the engine is started or you give the battery a decent recharge.

Old 01-26-2020, 12:04 PM

Thanks for taking the time to reply, really appreciate it, the car does sit for a week or so sometimes as I use another car daily. I will give this a go tomorrow.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (01-26-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 09:13 AM

did that worked fine? mine has quite the same issue, roof was down and i had to close it manually. actually the mechanic is fixing the problem, but appears to be the 2 motors that broke down. the fuse breaks each time, because the motors are underwater...
the dtaining system seems not to be efficient, and rain does ruined the electrical system. for intervention, the roof has to be removed and i will take 10hrs or labor minimum...
hope your one is not similar!

Old 01-27-2020, 09:33 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Hades_357
did that worked fine? mine has quite the same issue, roof was down and i had to close it manually. actually the mechanic is fixing the problem, but appears to be the 2 motors that broke down. the fuse breaks each time, because the motors are underwater...
the dtaining system seems not to be efficient, and rain does ruined the electrical system. for intervention, the roof has to be removed and i will take 10hrs or labor minimum...
All the OP's fuses tested fine, so I don't think (hope it's not) flooded at the rear!

Old 01-27-2020, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Hades_357
This is the first time that we have heard of any issue with drains, as far as I am aware, and given the result in your car it is imperative that all the drain points in your particular car be examined.

Old 02-05-2020, 10:03 AM

Still not fixed battery charging didn’t fix the issue.

Car is currently in the garage being dismantled, but he suspects the boot is going to be full of water as there’s no communication to either motors.

Will up date when I know more

Old 06-22-2020, 07:52 AM

Hi mark, any update of your issue and the fixing solution?

Old 06-22-2020, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Had drain problem on an Audi Q7, destroyed most of infotainment system, on warranty. Audi knew of problem but only issued a service bulleton.

VinnyFranklin (06-27-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 05:11 AM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a 2014 convertible. Does anyone have pictures of the drain locations so I can check? There seems to be lots of talk about these on the forum but have yet to see
any clear info on where they are or how to check if they are clogged and a method to resolve a clog.

Any help would be great. could save someone lots of problems and money in the future.

The following 3 users liked this post by 2004XJ8:
JacksonvilleJag (06-25-2020), Spyderturbo007 (06-10-2021), VinnyFranklin (06-27-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 07:42 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

Yes, same please. I'll be wanting to check mine now too.

Old 09-05-2020, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my roof will go to within 4" of the windshield and stop dead It won't go either way up or down annoying as hell

Old 09-06-2020, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Must be a manual override. Probably a sensor.

Old 09-06-2020, 05:23 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

There is a hand crank for closing it manually - check the manual. But it may be buggered such that the crank won’t work.

Old 06-09-2021, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mark3551
Hi, I have a bit of a strange issue with my F-Type and I wondered if anyone would be able to give me any help or advice?

I went to use the convertible roof today for the first time in a couple of months. Upon operating it the windows dropped as the always did, the roof unlatches and then nothing happens. If you try moving the switch the other way to close it that also doesn't do anything and all you get is the 'roof unlatched, don't exceed 30mph' message on the instrument cluster. If you re latch the roof manually and try again, the same thing happens, it will unlatch and then just go dead with the exception of the message on the dash when trying to operate in either direction. So far I have only checked the fuses which are all fine.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I will be really grateful for any advice anyone may have before I get my pants pulled down by Jaguar! I did try searching first for someone with the same issue, and although there are a lot of people having rood issues, my one seems to be different.

hi mark,

could you fix the problem ? i got my 2013 jag on monday and it shows exactly the same message ... the OBD and the battery disconnection didn´t help, so maybe you have any advice what to check else ?

Thanks marco

Old 06-09-2021, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

If you can get the top to retract by 'helping' it (either with an assistant lifting the header while you work the switch, or with the manual tools) then you could apply some talc to the rubbers seals...sometimes the rubber will stick.

There is a Topic here somewhere about the roof drains...retract the roof about 2/3 then you can see the little drain holes. If they are blocked by debris, a wad of tape on a stick will get them out. (Or, a really long, flexible tube on a vacuum)

Sparky H (06-10-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 07:55 AM
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Drain hole photo

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
If you can get the top to retract by 'helping' it (either with an assistant lifting the header while you work the switch, or with the manual tools) then you could apply some talc to the rubbers seals...sometimes the rubber will stick.

There is a Topic here somewhere about the roof drains...retract the roof about 2/3 then you can see the little drain holes. If they are blocked by debris, a wad of tape on a stick will get them out. (Or, a really long, flexible tube on a vacuum)
Here is the photo I posted previously. Put the top about 3/4 down, about even with the headrests.
I have used a small tube and air compressor to clean the drain. I also check for debris frequently. No issues so far.
Good luck.

The following 2 users liked this post by WCats:
Sparky H (06-10-2021), Spyderturbo007 (06-10-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 01:15 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WCats
Here is the photo I posted previously. Put the top about 3/4 down, about even with the headrests.
I have used a small tube and air compressor to clean the drain. I also check for debris frequently. No issues so far.
Good luck.
Thanks for posting that picture. I want to check mine. Where does the drain exit? I'm assuming I can just pour a little water in there and check.

Old 06-10-2021, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

IThe drain exits just ahead of the rear wheels. You can't see the tubes, they stay 'inside' the plastic rocker panels.

Old 06-19-2022, 08:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Roof won’t go back up

Hi, I’ve read through many of the threads here describing the problems with the F type convertible not functioning properly. I have a 2014 convertible which has worked great up until recently. The car is garaged or covered so I have a hard time believing it’s water intrusion but….. I have the Similar symptoms to how this thread was started, I have tried the battery disconnect reconnect, charging battery, etc. all to no avail. At this point I think I need to gain access to the motors and the wiring connections to see what’s going on. Does anybody have experience with taking apart the roof and accessing these components? I am coming off a Recent Success of fixing the dash vents now they raise and lower as designed. So I’m feeling confident, the thought of taking this to the dealer and paying dealer prices it’s just not in my current budget. Any help or tutorial in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: F-Type Convertible Roof Problem