F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-type coupe almost too beautiful!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 08:41 AM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Ggraddy: My grey car cover was an expensive dealer option, like $500. Part T2R4364. To my dealers credit they tried to talk me out of it. You should look on eBay or contact Jay if he has a line on the satin covers. My cover is nice, but not $500 nice and not going to be used much.

Returning to the post, with 2,000+ miles driven now I can attest that 99% of the people don't notice (or care), for the majority of the population, cars are necessary transportation and the idea of spending $65,000+ on automotive art that can only carry 420 pounds would never occur to them. Poor souls!

For the 1% that do care, I get nothing but compliments.
Life is just better with an F-Type, long time dead you know....

The following 2 users liked this post by TR64ever:
f_in_seattle (05-15-2015), Ggraddy (05-15-2015)
Old 05-15-2015, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by TR64ever
Ggraddy: My grey car cover was an expensive dealer option, like $500. Part T2R4364. To my dealers credit they tried to talk me out of it. You should look on eBay or contact Jay if he has a line on the satin covers. My cover is nice, but not $500 nice and not going to be used much.

Returning to the post, with 2,000+ miles driven now I can attest that 99% of the people don't notice (or care), for the majority of the population, cars are necessary transportation and the idea of spending $65,000+ on automotive art that can only carry 420 pounds would never occur to them. Poor souls!

Indeed it is. Expensive that is. I too priced it out at my dealer and to his credit as well...based on the price...well, very likely not worth it. Cover King's Satin Stretch [Indoor only] Cover is quite nice and truly fits like a glove, and when I went onto their website last night, on behalf of OzRisk, they were priced at around $281 for solid black and for an additional $39 (if memory serves me correctly) a choice of many two-tone options.

And I concur that the vast majority of people in this world simply don't care what kind of car you're driving - not that that ever has mattered to me - and that there will always be a small if dedicated number of people [like us] who appreciate the beauty and maybe even the engineering of a stunning car like the F-Type.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:27 AM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

My cats oftenly enjoy sitting on my car, thats why i am looking for a thick cover that is snug on the car. Should it be loose around the car, they will try and get under the cover.

At this point i am using a home made, aluminum wrap and blue tape, redneck style cover. Cats hate aluminum foil.

Getting back on the topic, even my house cats love the big cat in the garage.

Last edited by Ggraddy; 05-15-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ggraddy
My cats oftenly enjoy sitting on my car, thats why i am looking for a thick cover that is snug on the car. Should it be loose around the car, they will try and get under the cover.

At this point i am using a home made, aluminum wrap and blue tape, redneck style cover. Cats hate aluminum foil.

Getting back on the topic, even my house cats love the big cat in the garage.
Oh my! Not sure anyone here would like to see a cat - or a dog for that matter - sitting on top of any F-Type, bare naked! [The car, not the cat/dog]. In that case, and assuming you give them free rein...then a cover is absolutely (ok, very few things are absolute) a necessity.

By the way, I too hate aluminum foil (much prefer using an alternative like parchment paper...for those cooks in the audience).

Old 05-16-2015, 12:56 AM
Veteran Member
Default Winning Moment Redux?

post deleted.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 05-16-2015 at 04:35 AM.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Well Said!

I spend lots of time admiring mine too and it's fun to wash. 2 Quotes sum it up for me:

"“The Brits really seem to nail the "car of the people" thing better than anyone else. In a Ferrari or Porsche, you're a dick. In a Jaaag or an Aston, you're a working man who has done well for himself, and everyone loves it. They're beautiful without being ostentatious. I don't think white is the best shade, but... damn the coupes are painfully sexy.” (comment on Jalopnik)
Why The Jaguar F-Type Coupe Is An Even Better Drive Than The 'Vert

And Jeremy Clarkson:

“The interior then is nicely thought out, but it is nothing compared to the exterior. I think this is one of the best looking cars ever made. So, it’s beautiful, and mad and thrilling and loud and there’s more…the chassis is epic, and so are the brakes and so’s the steering . And you’ve got tons of lock, so if you do get it out of shape, it’s easy to get it back again. In many ways it puts me in mind of a BMW M3 and that is, that is high praise. Except it’s not a BMW, it’s a Jag.”

Interesting perspective on the Jag vs. the German cars. I have looked at beautiful cars and admired the styling since I was a little boy playing stick ball in the streets, thinking...."some day I will work hard, and buy myself a beautiful car". I have been able to do this quite a bit over the years, and can safely say that I buy a car that I park, and look at and totally admire for myself. If I get that satisfied smile on my face when I see it in the parking space, I know it is a beauty, according to my standards. Never once, and i mean not for a second, do I not think of the days playing stickball in the street, and seeing the "then exotics" going by, and saying some day I will earn enough to have these for myself. It is all about what I like for me, not what others like about me.

I actually "blush" when somebody comes up to me in a gas station, or at a light, or wherever and says....nice car buddy! or thumbs up. All very nice people, but my "blue collar familial upbringing" will never leave me in a white collar career, which although not better or worse, I am very proud of. I love my car for my tastes, and if others like it or admire it, I hope they get the same joy out of it that I do. It is all part of the fun, not the "ego-driven competitive whatever" in my view.

Enjoy!!!

Old 05-17-2015, 06:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts
Talking Today's winning moment

So it was a gorgeous autumn day here in Melbourne, blue skies, no wind. Simply perfect. So what else to do but go for a cruise with a group of friends around the bay road.

We cruised in a group... Matte black Lambo Aventador, yellow Lambo Gallardo, black Aston Vantage, and a dark blue Porsche 911 cabrio. Plus a Stratus Grey F Type R.

I'm stopped at the lights with them in a line behind me when a lovingly restored Ford Falcon pulls up in the lane next to me, winds his window down and calls out, "Don't tell your mates, 'cos I don't want to ruin their day, but your car is the most beautiful of the lot... by MILES!"

Winner!

Last edited by OzRisk; 05-17-2015 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member

If that doesn't put even a little extra - the cherry on top - smile on your face...

Great little tale Oz.

Continued happy motoring mate!

Best regards,
Jay

The following users liked this post:
OzRisk (05-17-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 09:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slojotaa
Interesting perspective on the Jag vs. the German cars. I have looked at beautiful cars and admired the styling since I was a little boy playing stick ball in the streets, thinking...."some day I will work hard, and buy myself a beautiful car". I have been able to do this quite a bit over the years, and can safely say that I buy a car that I park, and look at and totally admire for myself. If I get that satisfied smile on my face when I see it in the parking space, I know it is a beauty, according to my standards. Never once, and i mean not for a second, do I not think of the days playing stickball in the street, and seeing the "then exotics" going by, and saying some day I will earn enough to have these for myself. It is all about what I like for me, not what others like about me.

I actually "blush" when somebody comes up to me in a gas station, or at a light, or wherever and says....nice car buddy! or thumbs up. All very nice people, but my "blue collar familial upbringing" will never leave me in a white collar career, which although not better or worse, I am very proud of. I love my car for my tastes, and if others like it or admire it, I hope they get the same joy out of it that I do. It is all part of the fun, not the "ego-driven competitive whatever" in my view.

Enjoy!!!
I have been surprised at the number of people that give the thumbs up or waving or say nice car. Seems every time I come out to my car in a parking lot someone or group is standing around looking at it. People will take pictures of it still and chase us in the streets to snap a picture.

I am actually a little embarrassed by the attention as I bought the vehicle because I thought it was beautiful and the performance was what I was craving. Didn't quite expect all the attention.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I have found it interesting that people comment more often than any other car I've owned and usually refer to it as "beautiful" or "gorgeous." I've had plenty of attention-getting cars before, and the comments have been more like, "wow, must be a monster," or "wicked," or "awesome."

My cars that almost never received comments were the BMWs, particularly the M's, except from another BMW driver.

Old 05-17-2015, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member

I've owned a number of cars over the years which people have commented [extremely positive] on. The difference with my F-Type is while the vast majority of people don't care what kind of car you drive those who do REALLY DO.

I've had a number of cases where people have literally bolted from their cars - in front, behind, or astride of me...often at a traffic light (they instantly had broad smiles on their faces so I immediately knew their intent) - with big thumbs up or some other wildly exuberant gesture.

Funny.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:21 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

lots of experiences at Fuel stops and intersections etc. I think i told this story in panother thread, I pulled over for fuel on the highway and went to the toilet and while standing at the trough peeing a huge hairy trucker came up to me and growled "is that your car" when I squeeked out yes he said "thats F***king beautiful mate"

Last night I was driving home top down in the CBD and had to stop to let a group of attractive young women to cross the road and they mobbed me telling me how much they liked the car etc. was fun.

Last edited by AnD3rew; 05-26-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:48 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Was on a back road near home on Mon, came around a corner, and the driver coming the other way gave me a big thumbs up. I was smiling about that, when I went around the next corner and met a black F-type with the top down - big smiles back and forth. Haven't seen that one around before, and that's the first one I've seen this year.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:43 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

While not specifically about the coupe, I had a couple of interesting experience while driving on the freeway making my way home on the day I picked up my new R convertible.

First a driver in a Mercedes SL in the lane to my right passed by me (keeping up with traffic speed), and then slowed down to match my speed (more traffic in my lane.) He drove parallel to me on the highway for a while, giving my car a long look while chatting to someone in the passenger seat, and eventually accelerated away at an exit. After that I had another driver (in a mustang with a large aftermarket hood scoop) come along side, check out the car for a bit, then slow down and pull behind me... I assume to do the same thing, and then pull back out into another lane after a few minutes.

I was amused. I owned the car for maybe a total of 30 minutes by that point.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:19 PM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
top down in the CBD and had to stop to let a group of attractive young women to cross the road and they mobbed me telling me how much they liked the car etc. was fun.
I've thought about how nice it would be to have 2-3 scantly clad SuperModels out in the drive to help me wash my F-Type. But then they would just be a distraction from the car's sexy beauty...

Anyone trade in their sheepskin wash mitt for a mink wash mitt? Do they make such a thing??

Last edited by TR64ever; 05-26-2015 at 06:21 PM.