Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Coupe R-S Testing at Thunderhill

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts
Default F-Type Coupe R-S Testing at Thunderhill

R-S as in R-Slow Driver I know ftypegtr took his R to the track back East, and a couple of verts have ran at Thunderhill and Laguna Seca, but I think I might be the first R on track in the West Really fun and I highly recommend. Here are some thoughts, notes, tips, etc. for those thinking about doing a HPDE event.

I did the driving school with NCRC. I've heard good things about them. The other big group in Northern California seems to be Hooked on Driving (HOD) (besides car clubs like PCA). The main difference seems to be how they approach instruction. NCRC does 2 lead-follow sessions. The first is just to get you comfortable on track, with the racing line, the station workers. The 2nd session was a point-by exercise to get you comfortable with passing. Both sessions where done at slow speeds, around 45-70 mph. My understanding is, HOD doesn't do lead-follow but has in-car instructors. Which is better? Probably the in-car instruction if the instructor is good. But I've also heard that sometimes you get a so-so instructor.

The good thing about the lead-follow at slow speeds is it's a nice, gradual introduction to the track. Otherwise you might feel overwhelm at thrown into high speeds, even with an instructor next to you.

Mixed in with the 2 lead-follow sessions were some basic classroom exercises. They were focused on safety, flags, passing. Not really driving dynamics, racing lines, threshold braking, etc. So if you're expecting to learn about early vs late apex, weight transfer, etc., it wasn't really covered in detailed (was covered, just not really the focus). I think NCRC's philosophy is to provide you with a safe environment where you can learn, but the learning is up to you. My guess is HOD is more paternal, with the instructors probably focusing a lot on driving dynamics. Neither is better, just depends on your style/preference.

After the 2 lead-follow sessions they let us loose for 3 sessions (each session is 20 minutes). Passing only in the straights with mandatory point-by. During the sessions an instructor with his blinkers on circles the track so you can follow if you want.

Things ran on time for the most part, maybe a 5-10 minute delay because of some course issue but otherwise it was pretty much on schedule. Overall thought it was well organized. The schedule and wrist bands were mailed prior to the event, so there was no morning registration. Great time saver.

I got lucky, there was only about 18 cars so at times it felt like I had the track completely to myself. Never really felt pressured by others. Never felt like others were driving dangerously. With so much open track my worry about hot heads and aggressive drivers wasn't an issue.

Didn't do anything special before the event. Car is basically new so didn't really need to do a detailed tech inspection or anything. The only thing I did was put on the included tow hook and open the parking gear release lever cover. It's in the armrest cubby, you have to pry it open and it exposes this lever for releasing the park gear so you can tow it. Doubt you'll use it, but just in case you need it towed.

Tire pressure, left it factory 36psi, seemed OK. I wasn't really driving that hard, maybe 6 tenths, as the saying goes, so the default pressure seemed fine. I wanted to make sure I got the car home in one piece because I didn't want to do an insurance claim.

Ah, insurance...I got track insurance because I'm pretty risk averse when it comes to totaling a car I'm still making payments on. The popular one seems to be Lockton. Yes, it's expensive, about $650, 3x the cost of the actual event! But it made me feel much better having that peace of mind.

Left it in Dynamic Mode + Sport. Was great for my level, just focus on driving and not shifting. Traction control did kick in a few times. Didn't try to do the TracDSC.

Time for a little show and tell.

Would have been a really nice photo except for all the blue tape!

Little photo with a Ferrari

Artsy fartsy in-car selfie

I have tons of video but frankly nothing too exciting. Quite a few people did mention they love the sound The best is the entry from pit lane. Sounds great, GoPro doesn't really capture it

Hope this helps future HPDE-ers.

The following 6 users liked this post by shift:
alexg (08-24-2014), jleuz1 (08-23-2014), Optimus812 (08-23-2014), schraderade (08-23-2014), tberg (08-23-2014), vic55 (08-23-2014) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-23-2014, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Sounds like you had a lot of fun. I have done about a dozen track events with So Cal Audi with teachers in the car. Most are very good, some are not. I find the ones that let you drive, just commenting where they feel the need get more accomplished than the ones that talk through the whole session.

I am looking forward to my first session with my (new to me) 2010 XKR next month at Buttonwillow, followed by one at Sonoma. I think my Pantera has been retired from the track, officially. Although that's the only place I've driven the old cat in the last couple of years, I guess I'll have to try and get out on some weekend country road runs.

Attached Thumbnails F-Type Coupe R-S Testing at Thunderhill-dscf1363-1280x960-.jpg   F-Type Coupe R-S Testing at Thunderhill-vp__3982-1280x853-.jpg  
Old 08-23-2014, 10:39 AM
Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts
Thumbs up

That looks like a lot of fun!
Track Masters is another group for people in the SF Bay Area.
Trackmasters Racing Home
They are convertible friendly, use in car instructors and pretty good about letting you loose on the track by yourself if they feel you are safe. The cost is very reasonable. I have driven with them at Thunderhill and had a blast besides learning alot.
They ussually run at Thunderhill, Mazda, Sonoma and occasionally other places.

Last edited by WayneB; 08-23-2014 at 10:47 AM. Reason: incomplete post
The following users liked this post:
shift (08-23-2014)
Old 08-23-2014, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
Sounds like you had a lot of fun. I have done about a dozen track events with So Cal Audi with teachers in the car. Most are very good, some are not. I find the ones that let you drive, just commenting where they feel the need get more accomplished than the ones that talk through the whole session.

I am looking forward to my first session with my (new to me) 2010 XKR next month at Buttonwillow, followed by one at Sonoma. I think my Pantera has been retired from the track, officially. Although that's the only place I've driven the old cat in the last couple of years, I guess I'll have to try and get out on some weekend country road runs.
LMK when you're out in Sonoma. Love that area, stop by to check out your XKR.

tberg (08-23-2014)
Old 08-23-2014, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WayneB
That looks like a lot of fun!
Track Masters is another group for people in the SF Bay Area.
Trackmasters Racing Home
They are convertible friendly, use in car instructors and pretty good about letting you loose on the track by yourself if they feel you are safe. The cost is very reasonable. I have driven with them at Thunderhill and had a blast besides learning alot.
They ussually run at Thunderhill, Mazda, Sonoma and occasionally other places.
oh yea, Trackmasters. I actually did my first track event with Doug 10+ years ago.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:08 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Few questions.

Why the blue tape?
Is your AC off for a reason?
How fast did you get it?

Looks like a lot of fun man!

Old 08-23-2014, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Shift,
I will look up the date of Sonoma next week (I have it at the office) and let you know. Maybe we can do a couple of back woods drives as well. I love driving through that area.
Thanks,
Ted

Attached Thumbnails F-Type Coupe R-S Testing at Thunderhill-dscf1353-1280x960-.jpg  
shift (08-23-2014)
Old 08-23-2014, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by New2Jag
Few questions.

Why the blue tape?
Is your AC off for a reason?
How fast did you get it?

Looks like a lot of fun man!
That's just blue painter's tape to protect the car from rock chips. Some people don't worry about rock chips, other people do their entire front. I just did the headlights and black plastic parts.

For safety reasons you have to drive with windows down. So no point in having the AC on. Plus AC drains power

Into turn 1 on the front I think I got to ~125 but I chickened out and lifted early. If you're a better/braver driver, the R can easily get into 135+ heading into turn 1. So much torque that even coming out of turn 15 relatively slow you can really get on it on the straight. Just how good you think you can break

Old 08-23-2014, 10:11 PM
Received 98 Likes on 56 Posts

Uggggg, that rear view mirror is in the way. Any chance of moving the camera to the windshield or possibly lower?
Love watching track videos.

Here is one of mine in the 997 TTS with the video camera mounted on the windshield.

Walt

Last edited by WaltB; 08-23-2014 at 10:15 PM.
alexg (08-24-2014)
Old 08-24-2014, 03:26 AM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by WaltB
Uggggg, that rear view mirror is in the way. Any chance of moving the camera to the windshield or possibly lower?
Love watching track videos.

Here is one of mine in the 997 TTS with the video camera mounted on the windshield.

Motorsport Ranch Cresson, Texas 1.7/ 2012 997 Turbo S - YouTube

Walt
King of the Track

Old 08-24-2014, 01:32 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Awesome! I took my R out on August 2nd to the Ridge in Shelton WA (so I may have beat you to being the first in the West :-) ). It was a blast to drive, very different than my Porsche Boxster Snyder. The Spyder was a lot more fun on the track because it is so much lighter and so flickable, but the R was just such a beast. Halfway through the straight I was over 135, and at 145 I backed off...I can't wait to take the R to the drag strip.
Hint when you use Painters tape on the Jag, the front of the car gets VERY warm. Don't remove the tape until AFTER it cools, otherwise you will have a fine sticky gooey cleaning mess to deal with... guess how I know!

Old 08-24-2014, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by abedh
Awesome! I took my R out on August 2nd to the Ridge in Shelton WA (so I may have beat you to being the first in the West :-) ). It was a blast to drive, very different than my Porsche Boxster Snyder. The Spyder was a lot more fun on the track because it is so much lighter and so flickable, but the R was just such a beast. Halfway through the straight I was over 135, and at 145 I backed off...I can't wait to take the R to the drag strip.
Hint when you use Painters tape on the Jag, the front of the car gets VERY warm. Don't remove the tape until AFTER it cools, otherwise you will have a fine sticky gooey cleaning mess to deal with... guess how I know!
didn't happen w/o photo You got me beat by 20 days. I haven't driven the Spyder but saw a video on the Cayman forum about a guy doing a 1:59 at Thunderhill in his basically stock Spyder! The 911 guys weren't happy

Old 08-25-2014, 10:14 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Picture of the car at the Ridge, sorry I don't have one on track.

Attached Thumbnails F-Type Coupe R-S Testing at Thunderhill-20140802_180836915_ios.jpg