Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type as a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 11:52 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts
Default F-Type as a daily driver?

Hi,

I've been browsing through the boards since I'm considering a new F-Type Coupe and noticed a lot of you seem to use it as a weekend car. Is anyone using it as a daily driver? How would it suit?

For all sorts of logistical reasons I can't have two cars at the moment, so if I pick one up I'll probably be putting 12-15k miles on it a year and want to make sure I won't go crazy.

Thanks!

Old 02-05-2015, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
Hi,

I've been browsing through the boards since I'm considering a new F-Type Coupe and noticed a lot of you seem to use it as a weekend car. Is anyone using it as a daily driver? How would it suit?

For all sorts of logistical reasons I can't have two cars at the moment, so if I pick one up I'll probably be putting 12-15k miles on it a year and want to make sure I won't go crazy.

Thanks!
As a daily driver in Atlanta the coupe would be perfect. Further north, you might want a beater for those cr***y days with the ice/snow/salt. The convertible might pose a challenge for you if you have to carry anything more than a lunch box with you.

Last edited by Unhingd; 02-05-2015 at 12:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LobsterClaws (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 12:46 AM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
As a daily driver in Atlanta the coupe would be perfect. Further north, you might want a beater for those cr***y days with the ice/snow/salt. The convertible might pose a challenge for you if you have to carry anything more than a lunch box with you.
Haha yeah, when we get snow in Atlanta it's work from home day. If you ever want a good laugh, read about our Snowpocalypse a couple years ago where we had a few inches..and discovered the city of Atlanta owns 3 plows.

Thanks for the tip on the convertible. Fortunately I'm more inclined towards the coupe anyway and the vast majority of days my load is a backpack for my laptop, a book or two, and maybe some grocery bags.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

I don't daily drive but here's my take. Virtually every modern car can be daily driven. Technology/engineering has gotten to the point where you can have performance without giving up the amenities. The F-Type is a pretty comfortable car. The only things about daily driving is

1) do you care about gas mileage
2) do you want the attention
3) do you care about door dents, scratches, etc.

For me #3 is a big deal. I'm pretty **** about my car so I rather just drive a car I don't care as much daily.

alexg (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 03:25 AM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Got a Coupe R and it is my only vehicle and a daily driver. Works just fine, quite comfortable and does well in the city.

alexg (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 05:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

My R coupe is a daily driver for me and I love it. I look forward to my drive to work and my drive home. Shift is right about #3 but I am completely **** about where I park it

Old 02-05-2015, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Also a daily driver here, with the exception of days where there is frozen precipitation. Even on those days, it would be fine on snow tires, but I also have a Jeep, so it's just not worth it to invest in those for the few snow days we have here.

The convertible is NO problem for normal daily errands. The trunk is actually very wide, but it is a somewhat shallow. Having the top down doesn't take up any of the available space. You can easily get 12 or more bags of groceries, a couple of weeks worth of dry-cleaning, etc., or a few cases of your favorite beverage, etc. back there.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:36 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I use it daily. With such a beautiful car available, it would be hard for me to leave it in the garage and drive something else. It makes me happy driving it to work and home. Anyways, I have the convertible and it is fine for 90% of the time. It fits what I need from Costco, but I am single. You'll be surprised how much stuff you can pack in there.

jetsetter883 (08-03-2020)
Old 02-05-2015, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
For me #3 is a big deal. I'm pretty **** about my car so I rather just drive a car I don't care as much daily.
My 13 year old daily driver doesn't have a single scratch or door ding on it. This does require strategic parking planning, a lot of parallel parking and very long walks at the shopping mall. But the latter has significant health benefits as well.

jetsetter883 (08-03-2020)
Old 02-05-2015, 08:51 AM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I chose not to daily drive mine due to long drives on certain days since i don't want the miles to pile up. The R Coupe is fairly comfortable even compared to the 911 that i owned and found less comfy.

I also drive the range rover when temp is below 30 and i could really not enjoy the R, since i have the stock tires.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:55 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the V8 S and use mine almost as a daily driver. If it is really ugly I take my F150 - but I could easily take the jag... I love the look of the coupe, but our springs and falls made me chose the V8 S. Couldn't be happier.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:41 PM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

It also depends what car you previously had.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:12 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I almost use it as a DD though not lately thanks to crazy amount of snow.

I drive 2-3 times a week to my work in midtown Manhattan from Jersey City and despite pot hole roads, road rage traffic, etc and I like it.

I really wish the roads were better but after 9 pm driving in Holland tunnel is fun

Old 02-05-2015, 01:26 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Daily driver here, 90 miles round trip a day. Already have the first deep scratch so I guess its all down here from here on out. Rear quarter panels are getting beat from rocks thrown back by the front tires.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:29 PM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

It can be used as a daily driver.

However, it's a good commute car but it's not a good errand car. I had my XFR for 5 years as a daily driver and it was great, but I will tell you that it took a lot of work to maintain it because life is hard on cars. If you want your car to look good, then you have to spend a lot of time and money on it.

One month with the F-Type, and I went and leased a Chevy Equinox which is a perfect daily driver. I want to enjoy the F-Type and not groan getting in and out of it as I do errands on a rainy day....I don't want to be chasing door dents and scratches.....

Get a second car....it will help you enjoy the F-Type more...

Old 02-05-2015, 09:20 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

I use my F Type R as a daily driver in Atlanta. I only use my M5 when I have more than 1 passenger, or when I need to have more cargo capacity, or when I feel like a bit more coddling (e.g. If I'm sick).

Old 02-06-2015, 12:01 AM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

I use my F-Type as a daily driver and it has been great. I have managed to keep it in new condition, except for a cracked windshield damaged by a rock from another car a couple weeks ago and I am still waiting for the replacement to arrive. The car has held up remarkably well and I am impressed with the overall quality and reliability. Yes I get concerned parking it in certain places and worry about scratches and door dings, but I am very selective where I park and so far the car has mostly drawn admirers. I have my wife's car and company vehicles available to drive when practicality is an issue, but those times have been very limited. The more I drive my F-Type, the more I respect it and it would be a shame not to be able drive it every day.

The following 2 users liked this post by jmfan:
Foosh (02-06-2015), jetsetter883 (03-19-2021)
Old 02-06-2015, 07:19 PM
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

I used my F Type R as a daily for 6 months and it worked perfectly fine as that, but I have to agree with what was posted earlier. After having recently picked up an Audi S3 and using that as my 'daily' for 3-4 days a week I certainly enjoy getting into the F Type each time a bit more than I did when I was using it everyday.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:19 PM
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I like to view mine as a treat so I drive it on the weekends, mostly I just enjoy looking at the thing. Thankfully the XJ and soon to arrive Defender 110 allow me to just consider taking the F Type out as a treat

Old 02-08-2015, 09:00 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by thebigcat
I like to view mine as a treat so I drive it on the weekends, mostly I just enjoy looking at the thing.
My R is colored in Ultimate Black and it shows every little bit of dirt. I like to keep it clean so therefore don't drive it unless the weather is good. Here in the Pac NW that means I've only put 700 miles on her since picking up in November. As the thebigcat says - I just enjoy looking at the thing! Of course driving it's pretty damn fun too.

Quick Reply: F-Type as a daily driver?