F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F Type as a Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F Type as a Daily Driver

So ive been eyeing the Jaguar F Type for about a year and really love the looks of it. I test drove the Coupe and was surprised at how much space there was in the boot. So, I was wondering for all you owners how does one drive as a daily driver? I live in California, in the central valley and would be driving it as my only car, for a few years. Im looking to get an F Type S either used or new if i can wrangle a good deal during tax season (end of the tax season when sales are at their lowest). Im a nurse so I can afford the occasional breakdown, but would this car need more fixes if I were to daily drive it?

Old 01-24-2018, 01:20 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts
Old 01-24-2018, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

The F type is indeed a daily and long-distance driver

The following users liked this post:
Jkel72 (05-18-2023)
Old 01-24-2018, 05:29 PM
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The F type is indeed a daily and long-distance driver
After using it in my first Northeast winter and loving it, I'm going to venture to say it may be the ultimate daily driver!

The following 2 users liked this post by shahuk:
Ernie1234 (09-27-2020), jetsetter883 (03-11-2021)
Old 01-24-2018, 07:31 PM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by xxtwisted26xx
Im a nurse so I can afford the occasional breakdown, but would this car need more fixes if I were to daily drive it?
I'm on my second Jag -- and it is my only car. Unlike you, I live in a country that has serious weather fluctuations -- serious winter snow storms, freezing weather, and summers (believe it or not) that can also get extreme. In all of this, the Jag has weathered well as a daily driver.

My only regret was buying the base model -- which I corrected by upgrading to an S (now called R-Dynamic).

You will not regret your purchase of the F-type as a daily driver.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought my SVR and its my daily... So far so good, as I find its amazing in every aspect.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:39 AM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

My convertible is my daily driver and it has been extremely reliable yearly servicing and reasonable prices. Tyres can be expensive.

And boy, Nurses must be much better paid than they were in the days since I was a Nurse :-)

Uncle Fishbits (01-31-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 02:10 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

My F-TYPE R has been my daily driver for the past 2 years and it has been great at that. I removed the spare tire from the trunk/boot and now I have a big space that is enough for 2 medium sized bags or 1 full trolley of groceries.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:58 PM
Awd
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

Hmmmm.
Each day (well several times each day ) I read the forum.
This thread has become increasingly troublesome.
So...out to the garage an hour ago, removed the cover, unhooked the CTEC, checked the tire pressures and lug nut torque, will call insurance agent in the am.
Realizing it is a car....a lovely car...but a car.
I will avoid salty days but the epiphany was enjoy it, life is uncertain "eat desert first".
I'll be enjoying "desert" again in the morning. (-8*C bare pavement, sunny )
Alan

MF 007 (02-04-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Awd
Hmmmm.
Each day (well several times each day ) I read the forum.
This thread has become increasingly troublesome.
So...out to the garage an hour ago, removed the cover, unhooked the CTEC, checked the tire pressures and lug nut torque, will call insurance agent in the am.
Realizing it is a car....a lovely car...but a car.
I will avoid salty days but the epiphany was enjoy it, life is uncertain "eat desert first".
I'll be enjoying "desert" again in the morning. (-8*C bare pavement, sunny )
Alan
Excellent.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

just for ***** and giggles I'd also mention the XKR as an option.

As a daily driver the XKR was a slightly better proposition - room behind the seats (pretend back seat, if you wish), and you could keep the spare in and still have heaps of room in the boot. Also the XKR is slightly higher so it is easier to get in and out of, and the ride is a bit more supple. On top of that the 375KW engine (same as the F Type R but a little less power) has oodles of grunt, more than you'd ever want.

But the F type looks better to me (that is subjective), it handles far better, the transmission is far better, and so is the steering. The infotainment (in the '16MY and after) is much, much better. The V6S doesnt have the outrageous factor of the big supercharged v8, but I can actually drive mine quicker and better than I could the R.

Really, the only downside to the f type as a daily driver is getting in and out, but it is well worth it.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So in all honesty this car does well as a daily driver. I will soon be selling it for a Range Rover but here are some problems you may face.

The car will scrape things.
No you cannot go over that pothole without feeling like you broke the car.
The windows will freeze and it can sometimes be very hard to get in the car as the window refuses to drop in extremely cold weather. This is very annoying for a car "tested in all types of weather"

Other than that its a great looking car that i truly enjoyed

Old 01-25-2018, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

truly the only winter downside i've had is that the wiper fluid lines (in the wipers themselves) freeze up. It's just a bad design and the XF and XJ do the same thing.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:40 PM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

i just got mine a week ago (V6S AWD) and I am using as a daily driver. Live in Ohio with snow and all types of weather... I put on a set of Micheline A/S Plus and have no issues. heated seats and steering wheel is very nice!

I agree on the getting in/out - that's a little annoying... but you forget about it the second the engine roars to life

chrisburns61 (09-29-2020)
Old 01-27-2018, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
My convertible is my daily driver and it has been extremely reliable yearly servicing and reasonable prices. Tyres can be expensive.

And boy, Nurses must be much better paid than they were in the days since I was a Nurse :-)
Ha, people kee saying that but I feel like we get paid a lot. In Cali getting paid 35, and have lots of opportunities for double time shifts. Also I bought a house and rent one of the rooms out so that helps for sure haha.

Old 01-27-2018, 04:09 PM

So ive been eyeing the Jaguar F Type for about a year and really love the looks of it. I test drove the Coupe and was surprised at how much space there was in the boot. So, I was wondering for all you owners how does one drive as a daily driver? I live in California, in the central valley and would be driving it as my only car, for a few years. Im looking to get an F Type S either used or new if i can wrangle a good deal during tax season (end of the tax season when sales are at their lowest). Im a nurse so I can afford the occasional breakdown, but would this car need more fixes if I were to daily drive it?
Also I’m buying this used for sure, 16MY it newer ha ha

Old 01-27-2018, 04:43 PM
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I wish I could, but is not the case and certainly not for any fault of the FType. The Beast is so comfortable and fantastic to be driven daily, a pride and fun. I can not wait to make time and have the conditions to make me drive it daily. At the moment, my office is very close to my home and my only free hours to drive it are rare and on the weekends, sometimes once in three weeks. A pity

Old 01-27-2018, 08:46 PM
Received 253 Likes on 171 Posts

I know I may get flamed but, I will express my opinion anyway.

I live in Connecticut, the weather is unsuitable for winter driving the F-Type, further, I don't want the salt to damage the car and I will not put the ar in the way of a poorly skilled driver that can't keep their car in their lane. So a Range Rover serves as the winter car.
In the summer, I used it quite often but to say that it's comfortable for long trips is an extreme stretch. It is NOT. That is shared by my wife as well.
Practicality... the complete lack of any real storage in the driving compartment makes it impractical for me. The only storage would be the passenger seat.

In essence it's a terrific fun toy but depending on your weather conditions, habits (passenger) comfort needs you and only you need to evaluate if the F-Type is "it".

Old 01-29-2018, 06:40 AM
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I live in a country where DAILY use for a resident in the capital city (Tirana) would mean 40 km a day here and there, getting to your office, shopping, some ring road drive, but few km overall as this are the dimensions :-)

This is why daily for us here does not mean hours of drive neither long trips. We usually have to go for 30 minutes to the closest seaside and in 1-2 hours to about everywhere or max 3 hours the southern beaches (once or twice in a year). Long distances trips abroad mean very few times a year. Borders and delays in lines make Balkan region one of the worst to plan road trips especially in summer.

So, that is why I would use F Type daily and by night every single day if I could :-)

Old 01-29-2018, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Were you surprised in a good, or bad way about the space (or lack thereof) in the boot?

Quick Reply: F Type as a Daily Driver