F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F Type as a Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 02:15 PM
Received 161 Likes on 87 Posts

My wife and I have four cars between the two of us (see signature, below). I was planning on getting a Z06 Vette, but ran across a great deal on my second choice, the F-Type R, and bought it last month. Although I wanted a manual, I am not regretting the purchase in the least bit. The paddle shifts almost take the place of a real manual, and the traffic here can make you appreciate an automatic.
Living in Seattle, rain is very frequent, and I was worried the Vette (or an earlier RWD Jag) could be a handful. Like our 650i, the AWD is fantastic in the rain; launches and grips like it's dry. My SRT8 breaks the tires loose constantly in the dry... the rain is downright frustrating.
I was also initially concerned that the poor visibility would be an issue, but with the blind spot warnings and rear camera for parking I have become very comfortable parallel parking and driving it in traffic.
The storage in the boot is less than the Vette, but is good for two small suitcases and some soft luggage as well. I love the motorized open/close hatch.
Yes, you can scrape the nose on curb stops and steep driveways, but no worse than the 650i and nothing compared to the SRT8. Same for hitting potholes.
This is definitely a daily driver if you want it to be.
My gripes mostly center around the nav unit. Jag needs to step up their game on that design.

The following users liked this post:
NavyBlue (09-28-2020)
Old 01-30-2018, 03:24 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The coupe is just fine as a daily. It’s my daily. The boot is huge. Then again, I used to daily an S2000 and a Ducati. I’ve never scraped anything, and I’ve done 4 hour stints in it. It’s very comfortable. No reason not to use it as a daily.

jetsetter883 (08-08-2020)
Old 01-31-2018, 06:13 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Tork Monster

My gripes mostly center around the nav unit. Jag needs to step up their game on that design.
Agreed, although I find most integrated Sat Nav to be poor compared to stand alone or Google maps; even if the user interface is good it's only as good as the map data.

Originally Posted by IlMostro796
The coupe is just fine as a daily. It’s my daily. I’ve never scraped anything, and I’ve done 4 hour stints in it. It’s very comfortable. No reason not to use it as a daily.
No problems for me as a daily driver, always a pleasure to drive it, granted more enjoyable in warm dry weather (F Type R RWD) although recent change to MPS4 tyres does seem to improve cold and wet road grip as other owners have reported.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:39 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So I'm about one year and 11,400 miles in. It's driven every day in Miami - no snow or ice, but frequent rain and street flooding, plus hours if nonstop traffic and potholes that could swallow my old mini. It's been a fantastic daily driver, and I have almost zero complaints. Over the summer, it went on a road trip from here to NYC, partly on the auto-train (which I highly recommend) and had enough storage space to fit all the luggage for my wife and I, along with a conference booth in a hard case. Just barely. I also took it in a straight drive to Louisiana with my daughter, and it easily fit a week's worth of baggage for the two of us. It will also yell at you if you try to go faster than 168 without the tires being at (IIRC) 41PSI. For just daily driving, I never feel like it doesn't have enough room - including regular Costco trips.

Some issues I have:
  • the OEM tires are terrible, and very rough and loud.
  • The auto start/stop seems to only work when it wants to.
  • The paint is very soft, and picks up scratches easily.
  • The car kicks up dirt and stones, and I already have a rock chip on the rear passenger fender.
  • The ride can be a little harsh.
Other than that, it's a fantastic daily.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
My convertible is my daily driver and it has been extremely reliable yearly servicing and reasonable prices. Tyres can be expensive.

And boy, Nurses must be much better paid than they were in the days since I was a Nurse :-)
They should be. Nurses are like hotelier with guests that don't want to be in the hotel. LOL It's a growth industry. Hospitality, Food/Bev and Healthcare should get a huge amount of talent as retail winds down. High end hospitality, or healthcare, won't be over-automating their work force anytime soon. Sure, a few robots or algorithms here and there, but like a barber, you can't virtualize every industry, nor would you want a robot with scissors near your head. LOL

The Economist had a WONDERFUL article about the future of jobs:
https://www.economist.com/news/brief...yment-not-less

and this pic tells it all.... tell your kids to be private trainers. =)

Old 01-31-2018, 09:48 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2016 awd s

I have been daily driving my F-Type since June and have continued through (so far) the Minneapolis Winter. The Pirelli Sottozero tires are tremendous. I have a Mitsubishi Montero 4x4 for when snow is more than 2-3 inches, but the Jag has done fantastically. My wife and I drove to the north shore of Lake Superior over MLK weekend and were twice faced with near whiteout conditions. It's a good car, not just a garage queen for me.

There are minor inconveniences, mine mainly revolve around being the wrong height and my steering wheel blocking both the speedo and the digital speed readout when the wheel is where I want it. The seats can be a bit hard (sport seats). The suspension is really hard. You tend to feel the quality of your local government beneath you.

But FML if it doesn't make me smile all the time.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:07 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Lusiphur
It will also yell at you if you try to go faster than 168 without the tires being at (IIRC) 41PSI.
It's good to see owners putting miles on and enjoying the experience.

I always have a wry smile when reading comments about high speed tyre pressure warnings and wonder how many of us have seen this indicator!

My handbook states over 155mph (250 kph)

Old 02-05-2018, 11:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm coming up on a month now with my SVR, driving it in NJ where the weather has been miserable with lots of ice and the car has been awesome! I took it to Philly this weekend for dinner with friends and it was awesome ripping through the side streets in old city. Had my girl with me and most people couldn't decide what to look at her or the car!

DuhCar (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 01:25 PM
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

With regard daily driver - absolutely. Mine is just that (live in SE Florida). You learn to stay away from parking stops due to the front end. I love mine every time I fire it up.

Too funny on the tire pressures. I've been trying to tell folks they are off base worrying about tire pressures being "TOO HIGH, OMG". It's just not true - now we have other objective data to sort of validate what I've known (by dialogue with tire manufacturers when I raced) that high pressures are not an issue. Temperature is.

In the event you wish to know why this recommendation - (as I recall my discussion with the Yokohama engineers) the contact portion of a tire in motion at the road is actually an inverse U. In other words, instead of flattening out, the tire belts actually flex up then back down before leaving contact. The higher the speed, the greater the height of said standing wave. This results in greater flexing of the belts, and higher temperature input. Eventually you blow out from the weakening of the belts at too high a temperature (many materials reduce strength as temperature increases). Air pressure opposes the height of that wave, thereby reducing flex and therefore reducing heat input. Even our family's old 1969 Lincoln Continental had a recommendation in the owner's manual that when you cruised at speeds between 75 and 90 mph, add another 4 psi to the tires.

Last edited by inmanlanier; 02-11-2018 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:29 PM
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Old 02-18-2018, 07:33 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I always daily drive my Favorite car...

I have a F Type S AWD convertible, it lacks storage, but my wife has the Jaguar F Pace SUV for food shopping and stuff where we need room.

For going back and forth to work the F Type is fine and makes me want to go to work, just love the engine sound of the V6.

I will put on All-Season tires in case it starts to snow while I am at work, should do fine in 2-3 inches.

Old 09-26-2020, 12:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi all, sorry for bumping an old thread, but was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on which engine is best for daily driving between the V4 and V6..? I have a 2021 P300 on order (V4) but thinking about changing it to the V6. I live in a small town and do mostly local driving so I probably don’t -need- the two extra cylinders but boy do I love the sound and exhaust note on that thing, as do many. In any event, do you guys think that the V6 is “too much car” for a daily driver and that I would be better off sticking with the V4 that I have on order? Appreciate your thoughts!

Old 09-26-2020, 03:15 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

I'd say even the 4-pot is "too much" for a daily driver - it's a great car!
I use my V8 for every journey ...

jetsetter883 (09-26-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 04:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

When it comes to a “daily driver” consideration, it won’t matter which engine is in the car. The coupe probably serves better as a daily driver than the vert due to the substantially larger cargo capacity.

Old 09-27-2020, 11:18 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
When it comes to a “daily driver” consideration, it won’t matter which engine is in the car. The coupe probably serves better as a daily driver than the vert due to the substantially larger cargo capacity.
If you daily drive a lot of miles with no cargo the engine size may come into consideration if you don't want to pay for a lot of fuel. But in that case you wouldn't be looking at an F-Type!

Old 09-27-2020, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by jetsetter883
Hi all, sorry for bumping an old thread, but was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on which engine is best for daily driving between the V4 and V6..? I have a 2021 P300 on order (V4) but thinking about changing it to the V6. I live in a small town and do mostly local driving so I probably don’t -need- the two extra cylinders but boy do I love the sound and exhaust note on that thing, as do many. In any event, do you guys think that the V6 is “too much car” for a daily driver and that I would be better off sticking with the V4 that I have on order? Appreciate your thoughts!

The F-Type is not like a Ferrari or some other exotic that requires a serious (expensive) maintenance every XXX number of miles. With that, there is no issue putting miles on the car. The V8's seem to be more sensitive to 'not' being driven. The F-Type then is like any other car and any engine configuration is just fine. If it fits your needs and weather conditions, there is no reason you cannot drive it daily. Just maintain your normal maintenance as you would any car and enjoy.

Old 09-28-2020, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
Were you surprised in a good, or bad way about the space (or lack thereof) in the boot?
What space do you you really need? It will handle my tux and a few extra clips for the Walther PPK.

Old 09-28-2020, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member

I am not a greedy or callous human, but my thought is the value is there for the 6cyl vs the 4cyl. And you don't know how much longer we'll even have the option to buy bigger engines, anyway. As my friend's wineries and hotels burn to the ground, literally right now, I would say revel in the 6 cyclinder as a reminder of what we've done to the planet. And gallows humor and dark jokes aside (literally 2 resorts, multiple wineries, cremated overnight), the *base model* 6cyl (not S) is the greatest exhaust note in history. This is anecdotal opinion, but the 6cyl "S" sounds like someone farting in mud, like a drunk lawnmower. I've not had enough time around the 4cyl, but as a daily driver, I think the dual exhaust as a visual reminder of your choice vs the rectangle will be a constant reminder of a wise choice.

Originally Posted by jetsetter883

Old 09-28-2020, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member

I want to go on record, jokes aside, that I did a 4000 mile road trip with my wife and I, and we were able to fit everything expertly in the trunk and around the car's interiors to comfortably drive 8 - 12 hour days for weeks at a time. It's easy to make jokes about a car like this, but it's important to be practical and honest without hyperbole. The fact is, you can get truly tour in this car without panicking about luggage capacity. I also got the luggage rack that helps, but didn't use it for that trip. There's plenty of space, and it's not that annoying.

Old 09-28-2020, 11:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Appreciate the responses so far. One thing that I am curious about on the V6 is whether all of its modes are necessarily “noisy”..? While the beautiful engine note is a major reason for my considering an upgrade to the 6, I also wonder if there is a “respect the neighbors” mode or “minimal attention mode” if it will be used as a daily driver. Thanks!

Quick Reply: F Type as a Daily Driver