Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Dead as a Doornail

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 03:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default F-Type Dead as a Doornail

Greetings, All. LTNS!

I went out this morning and found my 2016 F-Type stone cold dead. Won't start, no accessories working, and it won't talk to the OBDC.
Rear hatch won't open, Glove compartment won't open. Door locks don't work - I found the car unlocked, but I think it unlocked itself. Pretty sure I'd left it locked. Tried using the remote, and the Android App - no luck with either.

The car gave NO indication of any problems in advance. I was driving it yesterday, and everything was fine right up to when I parked it. Before I tear into it, or call the shop, I just wanted to check on here in case there's a quick fix or diagnostic anyone can suggest. I did check the fuse (F17) for the Engine Management System and it looked OK.

HELP! and TIA,
Jim

Old 07-30-2020, 03:48 PM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Sounds like a new battery is in order.

Old 07-30-2020, 04:02 PM
Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts

If it's unlocked, pop the hood and check the voltage at the jump start posts if you can't get into the trunk (not sure if there's a key slot in the trunk for the emergency key?). If you get 0 volts there, or 12+ volts, something other than just the battery is likely going on, but if it's low volts, battery is most likely the culprit. If that's the case I'd also try jump-starting it then checking voltage to make sure the alternator is putting out 12+v too.

Old 07-30-2020, 04:06 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by lpf4
... not sure if there's a key slot in the trunk for the emergency key? ...
AFAIK, there's no manual way into the boot - electricity needed.

Old 07-30-2020, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
AFAIK, there's no manual way into the boot - electricity needed.
Unless you’re driving around with a midget in the trunk to pull the manual release.
Apply power to the electrical terminals in the engine compartment to see if you can open the rear hatch.

Old 07-30-2020, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Reads like you are able to open the door and get into the car, in which case you can open the hood and access the charging points.
Then hook up a decently powerful battery maintainer (not a charger as they can damage the electrics) to those points and leave it going overnight.
This should "repair" the battery enough to at least open the hatch and maybe start the car, and if you are really lucky it might even completely "fix" the battery, although a completely drained battery usually doesn't fully recover.

Old 07-30-2020, 06:18 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
... hook up a decently powerful battery maintainer (not a charger as they can damage the electrics) to those points and leave it going overnight.
I believe the CTEK won't actually charge if the battery is completely flat. Other maintainers may, or may not, exhibit the same behaviour.

Old 07-30-2020, 06:19 PM
EdG
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Unless you’re driving around with a midget in the trunk to pull the manual release.
Apply power to the electrical terminals in the engine compartment to see if you can open the rear hatch.
Agree. When my battery died, I used battery booster on the terminals in engine bay to turn on electronics and that allowed me to open back to access battery. If you are going to try to jump, do it from the battery. I tried to do it from the front jump points but it didn't work.

Not sure why it would have drained overnight unless you accidentally left something on. If it was an old battery it will die fast. Hopefully it is the battery. Cheapest fix. Good luck.

Old 07-31-2020, 05:35 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by EdG
If you are going to try to jump, do it from the battery. I tried to do it from the front jump points but it didn't work.
That's interesting as the underhood points are the Jaguar recommended way to do it. Probably because it's easier to open the hood with a dead battery.

Old 08-01-2020, 04:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

By any chance did you plug in a obd2 code reader before hand? I did this with mine before and had the same issue. Something about the power modules having to be reset after plugging in a code reader. After recharging the battery I disconnected it for about 10 minutes and reconnected it. No problems since.

Old 08-02-2020, 08:27 AM
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same issue, I jump started the car with the terminal under the hood and went for a 45 minute drive and put the cetek on when I got back home. As scm said
the cetek won’t charge a flat battery , that was six months ago never had a problem since

Old 08-03-2020, 06:01 PM
EdG
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
That's interesting as the underhood points are the Jaguar recommended way to do it. Probably because it's easier to open the hood with a dead battery.
I was surprised when I figured out the engine leads didn't work as well as the battery because of what I read from Jaguar. That is why I am letting you know. The guy who came to tow my car said he has seen the same issue with other brands so it seems like it wasn't Jag specific. He suggested we try jumping from the battery and it worked. Let me drive to the dealer (still under warranty).