Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type DRL Probem

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2022, 04:49 PM
K88
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F-Type DRL Probem

I recently noticed the DRL strip on the driver side was not as bright as the passenger side. I brought it into the dealership and they told me the headlight had to be replaced. Luckily it was still under warranty so I didnt have to pay for a new headlight. I was curious to know if this issue has happened to anyone else? I saw another F-type on the road with the same issue and was wondering if this is a common problem.

The following users liked this post:
goowatchi (02-20-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by K88
I recently noticed the DRL strip on the driver side was not as bright as the passenger side. I brought it into the dealership and they told me the headlight had to be replaced. Luckily it was still under warranty so I didnt have to pay for a new headlight. I was curious to know if this issue has happened to anyone else? I saw another F-type on the road with the same issue and was wondering if this is a common problem.
I have seen one or two posts on that issue randomly over time, but nothing that seems like a very common issue. They are just LED's and with age, I am sure we will start seeing more.

DC

Old 02-18-2022, 05:59 PM
K88

mine is a year 2018. sorry, should have stated that in the original post.

Old 02-19-2022, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

Dim or non-functional LEDs (on one side or another) are not unheard of across ALL vehicles...not uniquely a Jaguar thing.

Usually, you DO need to replace the assembly.

The following users liked this post:
Therock88 (02-19-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

K88, I have exactly the same problem. Mine is also a MY18 and of course out of warranty. I take it that the complete headlight needs to be replaced ? Any ideas on costs involved.
Reg
Roedies

Old 02-19-2022, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by roedies
K88, I have exactly the same problem. Mine is also a MY18 and of course out of warranty. I take it that the complete headlight needs to be replaced ? Any ideas on costs involved.
Reg
Roedies
Looks pretty steep! Have one on Ebay for less HERE (Not sure what side or model car you all have)

DC

Old 02-19-2022, 05:12 PM
K88

Originally Posted by roedies
Reg
Roedies
The person at the dealership explained that they need to replace the whole headlight. They can't just replace that strip. Also, I had to wait 2 months for them to get the headlight in due to supply chain issues from the pandemic.

Old 02-20-2022, 02:17 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Exactly the same happened to my 2018. It is still under warranty and was replaced by the dealership. I also had to wait two months for delivery of the unit.

Old 02-20-2022, 03:36 PM
K88

Originally Posted by thomasag
Exactly the same happened to my 2018. It is still under warranty and was replaced by the dealership. I also had to wait two months for delivery of the unit.
I wonder if this is just an issue with MY2018. Was it the driver or passenger side?

Old 02-20-2022, 03:40 PM

Left hand (driver) side.

Old 02-20-2022, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same issue on my 2018, drivers side as well, thank goodness it’s under warranty

Old 09-07-2022, 01:42 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine is being replaced this week because of the same issue 2018 - drivers side. Does anyone know if we can program the DRL LED so it doesn't turn on automatically?

Old 09-07-2022, 10:05 PM
Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by K88
Similar thing happened to me. Mine is a MY19 and they are a bit different to the earlier lights. Irrespective, a friend of mine I was following in the Jag, alerted me to one light being much brighter than the other.
I would never had known otherwise. It was under warranty and 7k AUD cost to replace. All is well now, for now.

Interestingly, also on the left side (from seated perspective) of the car. Seems there are quite a few failures on the same side of the car.

Last edited by P416; 09-08-2022 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-08-2022, 06:59 AM
Received 140 Likes on 86 Posts

Another case here. MY18, driver (left) side. There's a current thread in one of the FB groups on this topic with several other guys having the same issue. Seems like there's a fair few cars concerned by this now. Most, if not all, MY18 having the problem on the driver side. One of the guys has been in touch with with the light manufacturer Valeo who said something along the lines of that JLR are aware of the issue and that a dealer should be able to adjust the brightness of the LEDs. Another guy mentioned that his dealer suggested disabling the DRL so it seems like it can be programmed to be permanently off.

Costs an arm and a leg to replace and one issue is that the JLR dealers' extended warranty that's included with "Jaguar Approved" (basically what's called CPO in the US I guess) cars, at least on the German market, does not cover this.

Old 09-08-2022, 07:42 PM
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

My 18 SVR also had the left side replaced. So it seems to a widespread issue.

Old 09-09-2022, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by MajorTom
Another guy mentioned that his dealer suggested disabling the DRL so it seems like it can be programmed to be permanently off.
I had my drivers side headlight replaced today, and spoke with the service advisor and mechanic. They told me there wasn't a way to disable it from automatically coming on.

Old 09-09-2022, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Crash808
I had my drivers side headlight replaced today, and spoke with the service advisor and mechanic. They told me there wasn't a way to disable it from automatically coming on.
Ok, good to know! I'm having my checked by my supplying dealer next week and suspect they'll just say the only way is to replace it and that it's not covered by the warranty.

So they only replaced the driver's side, and the light is now identical on both sides? Apparently some dealers have claimed that both sides should be replaced to get the same color temperature and brightness on both sides, which does sound a bit like BS for this kind of lights.

Old 09-09-2022, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by MajorTom
So they only replaced the driver's side, and the light is now identical on both sides? Apparently some dealers have claimed that both sides should be replaced to get the same color temperature and brightness on both sides, which does sound a bit like BS for this kind of lights.
Yep, they only replaced the drivers side. But mine was still under warranty (until Dec), so I guess I got lucky that it happened now, and not in January. Both sides looked the same now, I'll try and snap a pic later this evening.

Old 09-09-2022, 02:54 PM

They only replaced the drivers side on mine also. It was under warranty and it now looks exactly the same as the left side.

Old 09-09-2022, 05:18 PM

Also good to know that replacing the faulty one is sufficient.

Were your cars still under the original factory warranty or some kind of additional CPO warranty?

Quick Reply: F-Type DRL Probem