F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type DRL Probem

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2022, 10:35 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MajorTom
Also good to know that replacing the faulty one is sufficient.

Were your cars still under the original factory warranty or some kind of additional CPO warranty?
Original factory for mine.

The following users liked this post:
MajorTom (09-11-2022)
Old 09-10-2022, 02:44 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

And the original factory warranty for me also.

MajorTom (09-11-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem with my MY18, left hand front DRL (and indicator) half as bright as the other side. As mentioned in an earlier post there's a Facebook group that apparently has over 30 people with this fault on their MY18 cars. Looking like an inherent problem.

Old 09-19-2022, 01:30 PM
Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Yeah. I also keep seeing new guys with MY18 cars asking about this problem on Facebook.

Last week I had two different dealers check mine. One didn't see the problem (duh) and the other concluded that the light would have to be replaced and would check with the extended warranty company which is bound to reject it.

Old 05-20-2023, 04:26 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Add my 2018 F-Type to the list of failed DRLs. Only one segment on the left DRL illuminates and the entire right DRL is dimming. The turn signals seem to work but also appear to be dimming on both sides.

One of the threads mentioned that a new control module solved the problem on a Ford F150. Who knows? Maybe the control module is the problem since so many Jaguar parts are supplied by Ford.

My 100,000 mile extended warranty expires sometime this year (the car has fewer than 34,000 miles on the odometer). I'll talk to my service advisor on Monday. Ugh.

Old 05-20-2023, 05:21 PM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ichi Ban
Add my 2018 F-Type to the list of failed DRLs. Only one segment on the left DRL illuminates and the entire right DRL is dimming. The turn signals seem to work but also appear to be dimming on both sides.

One of the threads mentioned that a new control module solved the problem on a Ford F150. Who knows? Maybe the control module is the problem since so many Jaguar parts are supplied by Ford.

My 100,000 mile extended warranty expires sometime this year (the car has fewer than 34,000 miles on the odometer). I'll talk to my service advisor on Monday. Ugh.
Interested to see what your dealer says regarding both sides having issues. Hoping your warranty saves the day, can you also update the spend from JLR to have these replaced? Thx.

Old 05-22-2023, 07:07 PM

Having spoken with my Jaguar service advisor I learned that the extended warranty on the F-Type will cover the cost of replacing both headlamps. Good thing, too, because the car won't pass annual safety inspection unless all of the turn signals function as intended...since the DRL and turn signals are one and the same. In any case, I suggested to my service advisor that the DRL control module(s) first be checked as it/they may be the problem (as suggested by another on the forum when talking about DRL failure on his Ford F150). Next week I should know whether or not the DRL control module is the cause. Regardless, the entire cost will be borne by the extended warranty and not the manufacturer's warranty. Phewwww!

DJS (05-22-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 09:53 PM

I have a 2020 Checkered Flag and the drivers side DRL is about 50%. Taking it in to the dealer. I asked them what type of equipment do they have or what is the procedure to make sure the CCT and the lumens are the same for left and right. They were clueless. It goes in the shop in the next two days. It will be interesting to see what they do. I have a long commute to get to the dealer so I'm going to call parts to see if they have a drivers side in stock. If not, I'll reschedule until they do. Since I didn't buy the car from them, they won't schedule me a loaner. So much for the "Elite"!

Old 06-14-2023, 08:09 PM

My dealer, Alexandria (Virginia) Land Rover (previously, included Jaguar) replaced the left headlamp on my wife's Ultra Blue 2018 F-Type R-Dynamic AWD coupe in one week. Amazing job! They also checked out the control module(s), software, wiring connections, and pretty much everything on both headlamps just to make sure everything checked out. I thought that I was having a similar problem with the DRL on the right headlamp but I must have been imagining how dim it was. The dealer said that all is well with the right headlamp - for now. If a problem develops I hope that it occurs prior to expiration of the extended warranty in December 2023. Otherwise, I must commend Alexandria Land Rover for their usual stellar service.

Old 07-11-2023, 01:39 AM
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Looks like I'll be taking my 2018 FTR to the dealership to schedule replacement/repair of the driver's side DRL/headlight assembly. I'm having the same problem of incomplete illumination of the DRL strip as described by everyone else above. My warranty is good through 5/24, so I shouldn't have to pay for this repair. I'll update this thread as I move through the repair process.

Old 08-07-2023, 06:46 PM
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

I took my 2018 FTR into the dealership today to have the driver's side LED headlight assembly replaced. After reading this thread, I took a closer look at my headlamps and noticed a portion of the J light beginning to fail on the driver's side. The dealership covered this repair 100% under my remaining CPO warranty ..... what a relief, as the warranty invoice itemized the headlight at 6,540 USD. My service rep told me that if I had to pay for it myself (out of warranty), the bill would have likely been over 9K for the headlight (plus labor). I am speechless ..... and can't help but wonder if the future of specialized parts like this are going to become more expensive with time, now that JLR has discontinued the F Type?

Old 08-07-2023, 07:03 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hopefully the new ones are more reliable. I'd be really pissed if I had to spend that kind of money out of warranty for a new headlight. Good luck guys, but seems like an inherent problem to me indeed.

Old 08-08-2023, 03:52 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This is obviously not the best solution, but could one reference a wiring schematic and remove power to both DRLs in order to at least even out both sides?

Old 10-04-2023, 05:26 PM
Default DRL failure - left side and dancing DRLs on right side

Hi all, yes my F-Type V6 AWD 2017 (updated lights) also has this problem. I commute to work in my car (65 miles round trip) and I must pass around 10,000 other car users on a busy motorway ring road each day but I refuse to pay for the repairs as I cannot afford them. I do love this car though, it is just a shame that from the outside it looks like a dodgy fault and the car looks like a melon when looking at the front or from someone's rear mirrors (Jaguar marketing - take note). I am out of warranty so I am now thinking now I park my car on a shared dealership entrance each weekend for 6 hours a day which leads to both Jag and BMW dealerships with my car lights turned on and displaying a sign saying "£4k for bulb replacement, a known unrecognised fault by Jaguar) - chose carefully which car!" OR at the entrance to this road which I think is highways agency anyway (so all I need is a food licence), I am considering setting up a gas BBQ and offering bacon butties, burgers and coffee to potential visitors (with hand me outs about my car) which I will continue to do until I have the revenue to pay for the repairs or Jag eventually concedes to pay them. Sorry last resorts, but it would be good to hear my plan from you all (negative or positive)?

Old 10-04-2023, 08:40 PM
Default Paste a yellow lemon on your car

On a couple occasions I've threatened to paste a big yellow lemon on the side of my vehicle telling observers to NOT buy from a particular non-Jaguar dealer. Miraculously, the problems were resolved in short order. Sometimes people believe that I'm really crazy anuff to resort to such action. In reality, I am crazy anuff. };-)

My wife and I have owned eight Jaguars - as many as five at one time - since 2016. The vehicles (E-PACE, F-PACE, F-Type, XE & XF) have been great as has our local Jaguar dealer. Unfortunately, Jaguar automotive engineers design some things that are needlessly over complicated and expensive to repair; DRLs, for example.

DJS (10-04-2023)
Old 10-07-2023, 10:26 AM
Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

It's a bit unfair to call it a bulb replacement because it simply isn't that kind of cheap to replace stone age technology. I don't think it's a matter of over engineering the lights either. This is no JLR specific rocket science but plain technology that's been around in all kinds of cars since a decade or so.

The culprit here seems to be the French supplier Valeo that produces these lights and just seem to have supplied a big batch of lights with a manufacturing fault.

Having said that though, JLR is definitely to blame here too because they obviously are ultimately responsible for the procurement of these parts and should own up and replace them as a goodwill gesture also for cars out of the initial warranty, considering the ridiculous cost of the headlight assembly.

I just consider myself lucky that my driver side DRL is only slightly dimmer and not 50% like in some other cars, hoping that it doesn't get worse. I also noticed that the difference is virtually invisible when I have the LED headlights on. Maybe it's also something for you guys to check. Maybe having the headlights on is a way to conceal the issue a bit.