F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type EC tuned & back to the track...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 08:45 PM
Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts
Default F-Type EC tuned & back to the track...

Gents -

About two weeks ago, I had a pulley and ECU flash done from Eurocharged. Today I had a chance to get to the track.

No dyno time, just track time. Mixed emotions here, read on:

Sunny, 60F, mild wind - great weather, complete with sunburn to prove it.

Made 4 passes in total, here is the best one - but all others were relatively close:

60' 1.791
330' 4.976
1/8 7.574 @ 94.88
1000' 9.810

11.69 @ 120.21 - Tuned
11.83 @ 119.55 - Stock

I did get that ET after throwing in 4 gallons of 109oct. But to be fair, it ran 11.71 @ 119.62 with straight pump gas.

So, what did I learn? It would *seem* that the ECU flash is aggressive - meaning it picked up mph when the car saw more octane. And there's definitely something holding back the power EC is supposed to be making - it should trap 123-124.

However, I can also say it is definitely quicker. When bone stock I ran multiple 11.83-11.86 passes. Today, I ran multiple 11.69-11.73...no doubt it is leaving harder and accelerating harder.

Don't take this as a bash on EC at all. I was already exchanging text's with bway performance and EC to try different things, etc. Gonna keep working with them and try different things

I'll have to find a dyno and see how it does there too.

Jay

Old 04-06-2014, 10:12 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a tune but no,pulley yet. Going to dyno this week. EUROCHARGED did it. I hope in a few weeks I can get all the newest upgraded tune. I will call Jerry on it
Let me know how you make out. What did EUROCHARGED say you hot as increased hp ?
How hard was it to change pulley. I have it but didn't tackle it yet
Thanks gene

The following users liked this post:
Philly Single (04-07-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 11:34 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Good stuff! I've updated your spot on the leader board.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/m...andings-84783/

Old 04-07-2014, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Evl5
I have a tune but no,pulley yet. Going to dyno this week. EUROCHARGED did it. I hope in a few weeks I can get all the newest upgraded tune. I will call Jerry on it
Let me know how you make out. What did EUROCHARGED say you hot as increased hp ?
How hard was it to change pulley. I have it but didn't tackle it yet
Thanks gene
Hey Gene -

Awesome, please let us all know how it dyno's. EC said it should pick up ~55hp with the pulley and tune which jives with their estimate of a ~123-124 trap speed. That's the part I'm trying to figure out with them.

As for the pulley, I had broadway performance here in NJ do it. I swear they said they had to mod the blower snout a bit, no roadblocks - just something to keep in mind.

Jay

Old 04-07-2014, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Cambo351
Good stuff! I've updated your spot on the leader board.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/m...andings-84783/
Thank you sir - I'll keep trying to get deeper

Old 04-07-2014, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

I was just trolling the F-type section and saw this thread, and thought I'd chime in since I just had my '13 XKR tune by Eurocharged. The results were incredible but I have not taken it to the 1/4 mile as I'm waiting for my new calipers to be installed. I did attend a track day with it the following weekend as was a good 20MPH faster down the back straight at PBIR. I will follow up with a 1/4 mile as soon as my missing Alcon caliper arrives.

Hopefully after a Dyno you see similar results but as we hvae discussed in the XKR forum the transmission may be limiting some of the gains you see in the 1/4 mile.

Below is the before and after dyno results. The before already had a pulley and catback RSC Exhaust.

Attached Thumbnails F-Type EC tuned & back to the track...-2013-xk-r-tuned-vs-untuned.jpg  
Old 04-07-2014, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by MaximA
I was just trolling the F-type section and saw this thread, and thought I'd chime in since I just had my '13 XKR tune by Eurocharged. The results were incredible but I have not taken it to the 1/4 mile as I'm waiting for my new calipers to be installed. I did attend a track day with it the following weekend as was a good 20MPH faster down the back straight at PBIR. I will follow up with a 1/4 mile as soon as my missing Alcon caliper arrives.

Hopefully after a Dyno you see similar results but as we hvae discussed in the XKR forum the transmission may be limiting some of the gains you see in the 1/4 mile.

Below is the before and after dyno results. The before already had a pulley and catback RSC Exhaust.
Hmm, interesting. I see what you're getting at and wouldn't be completely surprised by that. It's very apparently that the transmission is limiting toque from a stop and you definitely cannot brake torque the car at the line.

However, even if the transmission was messing with 1-3rd gears (due to torque), I figure at the big end of the track the HP gains shown in your chart (and hopefully in mine) would be apparent; i.e. I feel like when the car is in the last 600' it should be pulling faster.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member

Our transmissions are different but I doubt the 8 speed has as torque rating over ~525ish. For whatever reason some cars have dynoed well but have not seen similar increases in 1/4 times. Soon as Jag ships the correct caliper I'll be on the track to see of my 12.33@117 increases which I'm hoping it does to around ~11.80@123 on street tires. If not there is definitely something in the transmission's TCU that is limiting the gains.

I'm really interested to see what your dyno numbers look like as well. I'm hoping the F-Types are not limiting power as well.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by MaximA
Our transmissions are different but I doubt the 8 speed has as torque rating over ~525ish. For whatever reason some cars have dynoed well but have not seen similar increases in 1/4 times. Soon as Jag ships the correct caliper I'll be on the track to see of my 12.33@117 increases which I'm hoping it does to around ~11.80@123 on street tires. If not there is definitely something in the transmission's TCU that is limiting the gains.

I'm really interested to see what your dyno numbers look like as well. I'm hoping the F-Types are not limiting power as well.
I had a '12 XKR before this and it absolutely would not go quicker than 12.07...in general it wanted to run 12.1x. If you can control that blown 5L engine on a true street tire, I applaud you

I'm anxious to see your results, as my XKR would not let me leave any harder than 1.73 60' - was generally in the upper 1.7x range.

Jay

Old 04-08-2014, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

I'm more of a track guy so if you could only pull off a 12.07 then thats probably better than I can do. I do get a better launch with my coilovers but the car is corner balanced and set up for track days. So the determining factor will really be trap speed.

Heres a link to my timeslips https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-times-110668/ Keep in mind at the time I was running a "fake" tune from some company that ripped me off.

Hopefully my caliper is here this week I'm booked for 3 straight track days and Friday night test and tune at the strip!

Old 04-08-2014, 10:23 AM

Keep in mind that 12.07 was on a drag radial too. My best street tire pass in the XKR was a 12.25 - it's just SO tricky to launch the car on a street tire. The drag radial takes that part out of the equation.

Regardless, yes, your trap speed will be the real indicator

I just scheduled myself for some dyno time this Friday - so stay tuned!

Old 04-09-2014, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member

Interested to see what your dyno comes in at, I'll check back later.

Wow I'm close on ETs already but I'm running Pilot Super Sports which grip better then the ice like Dunlops that came with the car. Lets see what my trap speeds are, I'll let you know as soon a I hit he track.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

hmmmm, I am more and more disparaged in getting an ECU tune. if it only works on a dyno under slow steady acceleration then hwta is the point? If the our electronics cut torque under hard acceleration to preserve whatever is the weak link in the transmission link then what is the point?

How come that even at the quarter mile the difference is so little?

Old 04-09-2014, 09:30 AM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwabe
hmmmm, I am more and more disparaged in getting an ECU tune. if it only works on a dyno under slow steady acceleration then hwta is the point? If the our electronics cut torque under hard acceleration to preserve whatever is the weak link in the transmission link then what is the point?

How come that even at the quarter mile the difference is so little?
I think you should do it, and then test it at the 1/4 mile track.

The XKR-S has the up-rated torque converter and the transmission control unit may be allowing the XKR-S to have more power at the wheels.

Also, Maxima said he was ~20 mph faster on the straight at his track, so it must not just work on the dyno. Even I can attest to that even though I have no plans to track my car. The tune is a very noticeable improvement, there is no doubt about that.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

I don't believe its Dyno only, now on a 1/4 mile we should see higher trap speeds but I'm not expecting 11.2 traps as any calculator will tell you a 4000 lbs car will do with 625HP.

I know for a fact I've picked up 20-30MPH at the end of a straight(depending on corner exit) and stressed my brakes to a point I've upgrade to more race ready set up. The stock brakes are great for 120MPH and below but have issues stopping hard from 150 MPH repeatedly

That being said the tune is worth it and I don't feel the TCU cutting power at all. I just need to validate it for everyone by hitting the strip to see the traps speeds. You will NOT be disappointed in the tune, just have it done on a Dyno so Jerry can tweak it for your car.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

It would be done at Eurocharge DC's location however Paul has been VEEEEERY slow responding, several days, now weeks between e-mails.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member

It took me a month to get my tune as they ship out the loaner tool to different shops and customers. It may be the fact that its not available yet. Ask him to get you scheduled in that what I had to do, but it took a while as they have one tool for jags and its always lent to someone.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member

I know the tool was in Texas and I was supposed to get done this week. Do not think this is going to happen.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member

that's what I thought for a month, was a bit frustrated, but very happy now..

Old 04-17-2014, 08:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So we have to figure out how to modify the torque limiters in the tcu. Is that what holds us back from faster ETs at the track?

Jay, we can race my f type vs yours from a roll and we can see how much faster yours is. Which I know for a fact is faster. After I finished yours and drove it felt awesome. Then I drove mine and it felt slow, if that's possible. Dyno time won't tell us much. It is obvious these cars are picking some power through the tune. Maybe you need to bring it back and we can start checking things, maybe yank traction/abs fuses and ser if brake torquing it works in the parking lot!

Quick Reply: F-Type EC tuned & back to the track...