F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F Type, Evora, 718 Cayman S or Alfa 4C?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 10:18 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default F Type, Evora, 718 Cayman S or Alfa 4C?

I have narrowed my search down to these four cars, after half-way toying with buying a Challenger Hellcat (just too heavy and ponderous, and all the various versions of Challenger make it way too common)

Has anyone cross-shopped the Evora, 718 Cayman S or Alfa 4C vs. the F Type V8?

I am really having a tough time deciding. All four of my choices are like hot women with different and very alluring quirks.

I will be selling my low mileage 944 Turbo, and I have an Audi S5, Miata, and Alfa Stelvio- so I want a fast and great handling, and not too common sports car. I do like manual transmissions, which makes some of the choices more difficult- but does not rule them out.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:28 AM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

My opinion. I assume you are not blind.

Most of us would agree the F-Type is the most beautiful car in the world.

Evora, not so much, but not common either.

718 Cayman = common

Alfa 4c = Not beautiful and fun to live with.

No contest / F-Type!

The following users liked this post:
Chester7 (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Chester7
so I want a fast and great handling, and not too common sports car...
You just described the Cayman 718 S to a tee....

Old 06-07-2018, 10:33 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
You are correct. The 718 Cayman S does have a grip on me. But the styling component of the other three cars is so much better IMO. And styling matters a lot to me- that is why I compared these cars to women.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 728 Likes on 501 Posts

Well again it's intensely personal in terms of tast but I offer the following: Evora and the 4C are interesting cars and fun to drive, nimble and quick but they both have a dramatic drawback. After 30 minutes or so your butt and back will be killing you or will not to long after. They are just not comfortable for longer drives. The 718 Cayman S is a great car from a handling perspective and corners better than most class challengers. Downside is that you pay through the nose for ever part and piece in the a la carte purchasing and service costs are brutal, worse than the 911.

Now depending on what you want the car for, is a factor. If your looking for something on the weekend for sunny day short drives than that may lead you to the Evora or 4c. If you want crisp, but somewhat soulless handling then the Cayman should be your choice as it can be comfortable for longer spirited drives. Costs are also factors in terms of value for the $. The FTYPE in either the V6 or the V8 are great values compared to all of your choices for handling, speed, comfort, and bests them all in looks. I have the RWD V8 Vert and love it even though it doesn't have a stick. The V6 380hp manual may even be a better bet for you. It's got more than enough power, sounds fantastic and has great looks that all FTYPEs share. I love the V8 but bang for buck, either FTYPE is a better overall value than any of your choices.

Of course this is the FTYPE forum so bias does play a bit of a factor, but if you search the many threads here comparing cars almost all of us did a lot of research and soul searching before deciding because the choices can be difficult. Good luck in your decision and we look forward to welcoming you to the FTYPE family soon!

Chester7 (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 10:40 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Curious why you prefer the V8 over the V6S /w 6-speed MT? Some think the V6 handles a bit better, with a bit less weight up front. Of course, the V8 has much more power/torque, although you can do a tune/pulley on the V6 to close the gap some.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,384 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Its simple deduction.

Porsche, clinical machine that lacks character.
Lotus, closest you will get to true track handling on your list, has the creature comfort of an F1 car.
Alfa has the handling, has the fun, has the character to spare, its pure- forget comfort entirely.
Ftype- a blend of all the above strengths, with no significant compromise in any dept.

The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
Chester7 (06-07-2018), Don1954 (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 11:01 AM

So glad I posted. My "locked on" choice of 718 Cayman S is a "head/intellectual" decision that is constantly nagged by my Id. And my Id is persistent and usually gets what it wants!! I do love this agony of deciding- but since I keep cars so long (my 944 Turbo for 23 years and counting) I don't want to be too impulsive.

I am heading for an F Type test drive at the Austin, Texas Jaguar dealer soon!

Old 06-07-2018, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
If you are interested in turbo boxer 4-cyl, then Subaru WRX does a much better job and for less money.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
If you are interested in turbo boxer 4-cyl, then Subaru WRX does a much better job and for less money.
I am no longer 20-30 years old. The Subaru is not for me- that car is an average looking woman with a rocking body. Certainly nothing to sniff at. But my mind needs mental stimulation and some teasing!

Queen and Country (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,288 Likes on 1,382 Posts

Originally Posted by Don1954
My opinion. I assume you are not blind.

Most of us would agree the F-Type is the most beautiful car in the world.

Evora, not so much, but not common either.

718 Cayman = common

Alfa 4c = Not beautiful and fun to live with.

No contest / F-Type!
Absolutely true. Why anyone would purposely choose an ugly car is beyond my comprehension - the F-Type, particularly in the right colour and in coupe form, is simply the most beautiful performance car available. And it is a performance car that is relatively rare on the road.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 861 Posts

I am heading for an F Type test drive at the Austin, Texas Jaguar dealer soon!
Game over! Bring your checkbook.

ndabunka (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

I dont mind the looks of the new Cayman though they arent as pretty as the F Type and they are too "safe" to be desirable for me.

Here are some interesting comparison reviews though:

(6 cyl vs 6 cyl) https://www.caradvice.com.au/335714/...arison-review/

(4 cyl vs 4 cyl) https://www.caradvice.com.au/616223/...18-cayman-pdk/

SinF (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

quite the spread there; all nice cars but they all look/drive very, very differently. My only advice is to drive them and listen to your heart, not your head; these things aren't logical purchases or we'd all be driving Corollas.

Cheers,
Dave

The following 3 users liked this post by DPelletier:
Don1954 (06-08-2018), Mbourne (06-07-2018), Queen and Country (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 424 Posts

Cayman-S was my runner up. Great car. Solid. You'll have lots of company and the general public will ignore you. The new 4-bangers don't appeal to me, so at this point, I'd opt for a GT3 or Turbo.
Alfa wasn't around when I bought, but I've driven only. Nice solid car. Styling didn't quite do it for me. I don't want any part of the franchise.
Evora - Great, light, drives like you're part of the road, but feels a bit tight as I've aged (or I'd still have my old Europa JPS).

I'll second the nomination to look at a V6S. To me, it's the right power balance for RWD. And, in TX, get a 'vert if you enjoy the wind, the exhaust tones, and the added attention.

PS, hang on to the 944 Turbo.

Last edited by uncheel; 06-07-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:23 PM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
Absolutely true. Why anyone would purposely choose an ugly car is beyond my comprehension - the F-Type, particularly in the right colour and in coupe form, is simply the most beautiful performance car available. And it is a performance car that is relatively rare on the road.
Hey, don't leave us vert lovers out - my baby is gorgeous as well.

I don't know as much as the others here about all the options you've picked, but between the Porsche and F-Type - I did the Porsche Driving Experience here a couple of weeks ago. Granted I drove the 911 Targa 4 GTS and not the one you're looking at, but here is my takeaway:

For driving on their track and in the various modules, it was a lot of fun. Did it make my heart sing and make me wish I'd gotten one? No. It handled well, was fast, had various exhaust options, etc. but it just didn't speak to me at all (other than it was fun to drive fast, drift, etc. in a great car that belonged to someone else).

However, when I first SAW my car, even before I got to drive her, I was in love. Granted I'm one of those who got a V6S and a convertible, which in some circles each are looked down on a bit compared to others, but I'm a convertible type of girl and with where I live and the type of driving I do, it's plenty. Once both my warranties have run, I'll do a tune and that will be more than enough.

Also on the MT v. auto - I've had manuals for years, always preferred them, was a bit bummed that it wasn't an option for me in this car and almost looked elsewhere, but I'm glad I gave it a chance. With it in sport and dynamic mode (is there another way to drive?) it's very aggressive with shifting and honestly, I've only used the paddle shifters to override once or twice. Maybe one day I'll miss it again, and if that happens, maybe I'll get a newer one with that as an option.

Like has been said before - go drive them and get the one you fall in love with. Head has very little to say here (I have my husband to hold my heart in check and I still won this one).

ndabunka (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Has anyone cross-shopped the Evora, 718 Cayman S or Alfa 4C vs. the F Type V8? I am really having a tough time deciding. All four of my choices are like hot women with different and very alluring quirks.
All great cars but I would not necessarily put those into a pile. The Alfa 4C & the Evora are both super light weight toys that ride like roller skates (e.g. teeth chattering rough) and have ZERO amenities beyond just a radio and I think you can even option that out so not really in the same class as the Porsche or the F-Type.

I think that the F-Type R actually lines up favorably against the 911 GTS for handling and performance. The v8 F-Type has about 100HP over the 911 but the 911's handling can make up for that. IMHo the Caymen is a nice performing car that would line up better with an F-Type S with it's v6 and similar performance.

The F-Type if more of a GT car than any of the aforementioned options you are considering so similar options are the Mercedes SL (vert) or the AMG GT or perhaps a Corvette but on second thought.....never mind as there isn't ANYTHING like the F-Type for its price point so just go ahead and buy it! :icon_st eer:

Last edited by ndabunka; 06-07-2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:39 PM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I used to work for Porsche, and LOVED the 718 (before the turbo). If you are going to own it long-term, be aware that due to its mid engine design, the entire rear bumper (and usually more) need to be removed to perform even basic service. This is why the guy mentioned service costs on the Porsche above. Short term, it really doesn't need much in terms of service, but long-term, I would add a significant amount to cost of ownership going in that direction....

The other factor in the 718 vs F Type argument is interior space. The porsche is very tight inside (not too tight, but more roadster miata tight), where as the f gives you a lot more room to move around and feel at peace...

Just one other thought (don't kill me for bringing it up) but have you driven the Mercedes GT? Great power and handling, but weird interior placement and the dual clutch SUCKS for city driving. Still, amazing car and in a similar price point to an F-Type R...

I would still go for the R, but alas we are biased here....

The following 2 users liked this post by Breaker841:
Don1954 (06-08-2018), SinF (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 04:47 PM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

If great looks, awesome sound, tons of performance and lots of comfort at a great price appeal to you, get yourself an F type. Used, they can be a ridiculously good value. They are not perfect (tall cowl, a few too many pounds), but unless you are a track rat most won't care. And thanks to this forum, if you do get an F-type, we are starting to get numerous upgrade options to spend any extra money you have so you don't get bored.

I keep the cars that really speak to me a long time too, and I think the F type (especially in modified R flavor) is one of those I'll enjoy for a very long time.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:37 PM
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Breaker841
I used to work for Porsche, and LOVED the 718 (before the turbo). If you are going to own it long-term, be aware that due to its mid engine design, the entire rear bumper (and usually more) need to be removed to perform even basic service. This is why the guy mentioned service costs on the Porsche above. Short term, it really doesn't need much in terms of service, but long-term, I would add a significant amount to cost of ownership going in that direction....

The other factor in the 718 vs F Type argument is interior space. The porsche is very tight inside (not too tight, but more roadster miata tight), where as the f gives you a lot more room to move around and feel at peace...

Just one other thought (don't kill me for bringing it up) but have you driven the Mercedes GT? Great power and handling, but weird interior placement and the dual clutch SUCKS for city driving. Still, amazing car and in a similar price point to an F-Type R...

I would still go for the R, but alas we are biased here....
Agree with everything you said except your "kill me" thought. I also own a couple of M/B's and have spent time in several M/B dealerships having service performed. I've actually looked at 3 different AMG GT's....all priced in the $150K area. You probably could order a bare bones one from the factory in Germany and wait for 8 weeks +/- for delivery, at a price point equivalent to to loaded SVR, but looking at USA local inventory, I seriously doubt anyone would find any AMG GT at less than a $140K+ number....the M/B dealers love to bring them in with lots of bells and whistles. You can purchase a new, 2018 F type R coupe, fairly loaded, right now at or close to the $100K number with the factory $11,000 rebate that is currently in place. In my opinion, there is a significant price point difference between these two automobiles. I just did buy a new F type R at this $100K number and it is a terrific car....thanks!

Quick Reply: F Type, Evora, 718 Cayman S or Alfa 4C?