F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F type is extremely expensive car to own and maintain

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2023, 03:17 PM
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry F type is extremely expensive car to own and maintain

Hey guys just want to say I love the car in its looks, power, and handling. However the cost this car has cost me after buying is insane.

I bought the car around 47k for a 2016 f type s. It had only 30k miles and was a florida car so no rust, great right? Nope.

I've spent 10k in repairs last year alone. The injectors were seized in place (which is a super common problem unfortunately to me finding out) and had to have the head taken off. Jaguar dealership is a joke and had to take it to a private shop that was willing to do the work. I had new injectors, plugs, and coils done. The car was gone for over 3 months of the 6 month season for driving and I was mad as hell. The job was over 35 hours long.

Now I will most likely have to spend 2-5k++++? on new fuel pumps. The fuel pumps are timing chain driven and the timing is messed up on the car. I had to take the car to the same private shop almost 2 hours away from my house.

I've had the car less than a year and I'm looking up to 15k in repairs for the first year. When I bought the car it had a brand new cooling system installed prior to me purchasing it, so I thought I would be OK. But no I guess I am wrong!!

What else do I have to look forward to breaking? It looks like these cars are nothing more than a HUGE money pit. Starting to really regret my purchase now, I could have spent the extra 15k and gotten a GTR instead.

UGH

Old 02-20-2023, 03:22 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Buying any used car leaves you at the mercy of how previous owners have treated/neglected it. My F-Type is my fourth Jaguar and my experience is nothing like yours - mine have been no more expensive to run and maintain than an "ordinary" car. Parts can be pricy, of course, you're buying a very expensive car, but mine haven't needed many parts.

No doubt others will chip with their experiences.

The following users liked this post:
Nodnarb (02-21-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 04:12 PM
Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

Sorry to read about your issues, I can feel your pain. Buying an expensive sports car comes with expensive repairs and maintenance. I think today luxury dealers are all the same, check out Porsche, you cannot change the oil yourself 😡 I know the general consensus is low mileage autos but I come the school that a car with 30k miles problem areas are usually fixed. In my case I bought a 30k mile V6 S and shortly thereafter it developed a pinion gear leak (probably during the original owner time) and subsequently a replacement rear differential, under warranty. The dealer also replaced the rear rotors, pads and a new battery. I’ve owned her since 2019 and driven 20,00 miles with no other issues. It’s always a crap shoot buying used, I was lucky with a one owner car who lived on Long Island NY and drove her 30,000 miles in three years, certainly not a garage queen. It’s still one of the most beautiful cars in the wild. Good luck in the future. Cheers Frank

Old 02-20-2023, 04:30 PM
Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Yeah, your frustrations are evident in the post. I'm not yet an owner, but from what I understand the injector problem is completely preventable via the use of some sort of fuel additive every so often. Perhaps a more directly knowledgable owner could speak to this, but this is what I remember reading somewhere. Perhaps you could start using this approach now if you are not already. Are you aware of this?

In any case, yeah, I have to agree with the thoughts of others. High performance used cars don't necessarily bring a lot of certainty depending how it was driven and maintained, what straw you drew, etc...This is a fact of all used cars, particularly a high performance car like you have there.

I wish you luck.

Old 02-20-2023, 04:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm the 3rd owner on my FL originated 2014 F-Type w/ 71k on the clock. When I bought mine I purchased a 2yr Warranty to cover a vast majority of problems for the reasons you are finding out the hard way. I am the king of getting every penny out of an extended warranty as they have saved my wallet many times over compared to the cost of the warranty. I know others that have bought them and never used them, which I think is the "normal". I shelled out over $500 for a dealer mechanic to tell me the Air Intake had popped off and he couldn't get it to stay on, which was causing misfires and for me to lose power on the highway when I let off the gas. He also said he wasn't able to track down the cause of the electrical issues I had been having. These together put the engine into all sorts of disarray and would shut it down forcing me to muscle it off the road, turn the car off and back on to restore the systems to normal and continue my drive. I ended up fixing it in my driveway with a Phillips #2 and about 10min of repositioning the intake clamp, and running a battery tester told me my battery had a bad cell. I essentially pissed away $500 at one dealer and left angry. I've since had to taken it to another Jag dealer to get a new key programmed to the car (so glad for the warranty as it saved me around $900 for a new fob, keyblade and programming) and while they had it they ran diagnostics and said all was good to go I was low on washer fluid (which I knew) and they topped it off.

You bought a vehicle that is just shy of a legit supercar. Cars of this caliber come with maintenance costs of this caliber not matter the maker. I and my family have owned Jag's since the early 80's and survived the Lucas Electric years. Get yours fixed, treat it properly and you will more likely than not have a good ride for a long while.

Old 02-20-2023, 04:54 PM
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GeaBaldyVx
I'm the 3rd owner on my FL originated 2014 F-Type w/ 71k on the clock. When I bought mine I purchased a 2yr Warranty to cover a vast majority of problems for the reasons you are finding out the hard way. I am the king of getting every penny out of an extended warranty as they have saved my wallet many times over compared to the cost of the warranty. I know others that have bought them and never used them, which I think is the "normal". I shelled out over $500 for a dealer mechanic to tell me the Air Intake had popped off and he couldn't get it to stay on, which was causing misfires and for me to lose power on the highway when I let off the gas. He also said he wasn't able to track down the cause of the electrical issues I had been having. These together put the engine into all sorts of disarray and would shut it down forcing me to muscle it off the road, turn the car off and back on to restore the systems to normal and continue my drive. I ended up fixing it in my driveway with a Phillips #2 and about 10min of repositioning the intake clamp, and running a battery tester told me my battery had a bad cell. I essentially pissed away $500 at one dealer and left angry. I've since had to taken it to another Jag dealer to get a new key programmed to the car (so glad for the warranty as it saved me around $900 for a new fob, keyblade and programming) and while they had it they ran diagnostics and said all was good to go I was low on washer fluid (which I knew) and they topped it off.

You bought a vehicle that is just shy of a legit supercar. Cars of this caliber come with maintenance costs of this caliber not matter the maker. I and my family have owned Jag's since the early 80's and survived the Lucas Electric years. Get yours fixed, treat it properly and you will more likely than not have a good ride for a long while.
I actually had the dealer contact me about an extended warranty lmao … I was like you contact me now after I spent the money already …..

honestly even after this fuel pump I should just buy the warranty … next thing I I know I’ll have a coolant pipe crack which I’ve seen some members freak out about… another possible few grand easy ….

only problem about a warranty is I was thinking about getting a velocity tune and pulley, which from my understanding would void any extended warranty

Old 02-20-2023, 04:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It all depends on what busts. I lucked out and that was already done on mine when I bought the vehicle and the dealer was unaware so they are stuck footing the bill for things not covered due to it being on the vehicle at time of purchase. I somehow have a knack for it, this is the 2nd car where something SHOULDN'T be covered but because the dealer didn't do their due diligence before selling the warranty they get the short end of the stick.

Old 02-21-2023, 06:14 AM
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry to hear about your experience. My ownerships story has been the opposite (knock on wood). I acquired my ‘14 V6S ‘vert a little over a year ago, putting on about 8000 miles. Total maintenance to date-O2 sensor (covered by Jaguar) and oil/filter change. I won’t count the new rear tires-they were on the edge when I bought the car. Hang in there, the F-type is an amazing car, with the highest smiles per gallon of anything I’ve driven. Oh, and watch Jeremy Clarkson’s review on YouTube if you get down.

Old 02-21-2023, 09:26 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 2018 that I bought new and the only thing that I had to pay for out of pocket was a new set of tires. I had the 4 year complimentary service and this March will be the first time that I have to pay for the oil change, etc.

I agree with the other posters that when you buy a used car, it is a gamble and a lot has to do with how the car was maintained. I love my F-Type and am counting the days that I take it out of storage.

Old 02-21-2023, 12:00 PM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

It is apparent and justifiable for your unhappiness and experience so far. I was very reluctant to buy a Jaguar from the poor reputation they seem to carry. I bought a very low mileage 2016 R and purchased a 4 year extended warranty to be safe. I am not typically one that ever buys a warranty but I did feel it was a piece of mind. My car only had 11k on the clock and now over 2 years after owning it still under 19k, so the car is driven minimally. As soon as I got the car the rear differential was leaking which is common and sadly the dealer I bought from didn't catch it but did pay for the cost of the repair. Then I had an O2 sensor which again is another common issue with these cars and that was covered by the OEM warranty. Most recently I had a pressure test done and they had to replace the overflow reservoir which apparently there was a TSB on that as well. Thankfully the extended covered it. I still smell anti freeze and would imaging at some point I will need to replace the coolant pipes but prefer if it gets done I have the warranty company cover the cost. I feel for you and at this point unsure what I would do if I was in your situation. Regardless, I would imagine it leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Old 02-21-2023, 02:04 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry you've been having lots of issues with your F-Type so far. I also was extremely reticent to purchase a Jag given the public reputation of reliability issues.

I think they can be reliable, but like others have said, it largely depends on how the car was maintained and treated. I probably paid a bit over for a CPO low mileage F-Type, still in warranty, and so far (knock on wood) the only issue has been a bad o2 sensor.

I don't think anyone would blame you if you threw in the towel, given the expenses you've incurred so far - it might be worth asking a trusted mechanic what they think of the condition of the car, and if it's worth continuing to put money into it, or if it's better to cut your losses. If you do end up swapping for another car, I think definitely worth getting an independent pre purchase inspection, hopefully you can have better luck going forward.

Old 02-21-2023, 04:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with all being said here, and am also sorry for your experience! I purchased my 2015 R used almost 2 years ago. The previous owners were a much older retired couple, who'd put 32k on her in 5 years. Prior to making up my mind to buy a Jag, I came to this forum and read up on all of the known and possible issues, which had me a bit at ease being that I'm not afraid to do the work myself. Not long after bringing her home, the coolant leak issue started. I had an extended warranty, but decided to crack her open and do the work myself. I replaced the upper and lower coolant outlet pipes, and after a few weeks still had the coolant smell. I took it to Jag, and had the water pump replaced, as I simply didn't have the time available to do it myself. The warranty took care of that, even though I'd replaced the pipes myself. I've since had an oil change, new tires, and a clean diag report. Total cost was around $3700 out of pocket. No regrets though, as the experience was worth it!

I hope you're able to get past the inherited issues with your Jag, as it's an amazing car! In any case I wish you well whatever your choice!

Old 02-21-2023, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by TheDrainPlug
I agree with all being said here, and am also sorry for your experience! I purchased my 2015 R used almost 2 years ago. The previous owners were a much older retired couple, who'd put 32k on her in 5 years. Prior to making up my mind to buy a Jag, I came to this forum and read up on all of the known and possible issues, which had me a bit at ease being that I'm not afraid to do the work myself. Not long after bringing her home, the coolant leak issue started. I had an extended warranty, but decided to crack her open and do the work myself. I replaced the upper and lower coolant outlet pipes, and after a few weeks still had the coolant smell. I took it to Jag, and had the water pump replaced, as I simply didn't have the time available to do it myself. The warranty took care of that, even though I'd replaced the pipes myself. I've since had an oil change, new tires, and a clean diag report. Total cost was around $3700 out of pocket. No regrets though, as the experience was worth it!

I hope you're able to get past the inherited issues with your Jag, as it's an amazing car! In any case I wish you well whatever your choice!

Did you see your expansion tank going down in coolant with the water pump leak? I still smell anti freeze as well but constantly check the tank and it is full. I know the water pumps seem to go around 30k range. I only have 18k on my car currently. I may end of taking mine back to the dealer to see if they can pinpoint the smell.

Old 02-21-2023, 05:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Whatsnext
Did you see your expansion tank going down in coolant with the water pump leak? I still smell anti freeze as well but constantly check the tank and it is full. I know the water pumps seem to go around 30k range. I only have 18k on my car currently. I may end of taking mine back to the dealer to see if they can pinpoint the smell.
Oddly, I didn't see any loss in coolant after I'd replaced the pipes, and didn't visually see a problem with the water pump before taking it to Jag for a pressure test. Since having the water pump replaced, I've barely driven my car, due to not having winter tires and working from home. Heck, the last time I had to put gas in the tank was August! When driving her to get the oil change, I did smell coolant, but the reservoir levels had not changed. I believe it's residue burning off since the water pump replacement. In a few months I'll know for certain if the coolant leak issue has indeed been resolved.

There's a coolant hose that runs under the upper intake manifold to the rear of the engine that can also fail. If you begin losing coolant, I'd take it in for a pressure test. Are you still under warranty?

Old 02-21-2023, 05:17 PM
Received 303 Likes on 198 Posts

Sorry to read of your horror stories of expenses! I agree with the above posts... really determined to some extent by PO. I was also lucky with my 2017, 24K miles in fall of 2020. It still had 18 months of factory coverage and I made use of that, since the car was telling me to drive it more.. and it turned out to be a dying battery, replaced under warranty. The F forums are the best place for uncovering incidences of what could go wrong and how to get it resolved. I also read about taking care of certain areas of the car, like not believing gear oil lasts for the amount of miles JLR says it does. I paid to have the diff oil replaced. However, with evidence from these forums, I was able to get the flanged coolant pipes replaced, along with some other related items and a new water pump. I never noticed any leaks or coolant loss, but all that was covered under warranty. I think that my tech took a look inside and saw early evidence of leakage. I was willing to pay for new SC oil, but after he got mine out, refilled it and put it back in, it was making such a racket that he ordered a second, that one was bad too. The third seems to be OK. My only cost was spark plugs and a belt.
So yesterday I had my upper engine clean and oil change appt. CHOKE! About $780 ($485 for cleaning $225 for oil change plus tax and their shop fees). I know there are detailed DYIs here on doing that upper engine clean, but I just didn't feel experienced enough to take that on and the downside of NOT doing it wasn't appealing either. I told myself that I got way more in that coolant/SC replacement work that I didn't have to pay for, so maybe I talk to my VWs indie garage about doing the Fs oil changes. However, I did save myself some major dollars, by diagnosing and fixing the right side door rattle... it took two attempts (popping the inner door card off) to get to the source, but I think it's resolved. We do what we can.

The following 2 users liked this post by Valerie Stabenow:
Simonusa0 (04-21-2023), TheDrainPlug (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by TheDrainPlug
Oddly, I didn't see any loss in coolant after I'd replaced the pipes, and didn't visually see a problem with the water pump before taking it to Jag for a pressure test. Since having the water pump replaced, I've barely driven my car, due to not having winter tires and working from home. Heck, the last time I had to put gas in the tank was August! When driving her to get the oil change, I did smell coolant, but the reservoir levels had not changed. I believe it's residue burning off since the water pump replacement. In a few months I'll know for certain if the coolant leak issue has indeed been resolved.

There's a coolant hose that runs under the upper intake manifold to the rear of the engine that can also fail. If you begin losing coolant, I'd take it in for a pressure test. Are you still under warranty?
I have an extended warranty good for 2 more years. So I am hoping if anything needs to be replaced I can push it through the warranty.

TheDrainPlug (02-22-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 05:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry about your first year, as already stated buying used is more dependent on how the previous owner took car of the car. I have a 2015 V8 S. Purchased in 2018 with 26K miles. Granted I only drive during nice weather in the Northwest so not to many miles but the most expensive work kI've had sone is an oil change. Love the look, drive and feel of
English craftsmanship, hope your luck changes after all your work.

Old 02-21-2023, 06:09 PM
Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Valerie Stabenow
Sorry to read of your horror stories of expenses! I agree with the above posts... really determined to some extent by PO. I was also lucky with my 2017, 24K miles in fall of 2020. It still had 18 months of factory coverage and I made use of that, since the car was telling me to drive it more.. and it turned out to be a dying battery, replaced under warranty. The F forums are the best place for uncovering incidences of what could go wrong and how to get it resolved. I also read about taking care of certain areas of the car, like not believing gear oil lasts for the amount of miles JLR says it does. I paid to have the diff oil replaced. However, with evidence from these forums, I was able to get the flanged coolant pipes replaced, along with some other related items and a new water pump. I never noticed any leaks or coolant loss, but all that was covered under warranty. I think that my tech took a look inside and saw early evidence of leakage. I was willing to pay for new SC oil, but after he got mine out, refilled it and put it back in, it was making such a racket that he ordered a second, that one was bad too. The third seems to be OK. My only cost was spark plugs and a belt.
So yesterday I had my upper engine clean and oil change appt. CHOKE! About $780 ($485 for cleaning $225 for oil change plus tax and their shop fees). I know there are detailed DYIs here on doing that upper engine clean, but I just didn't feel experienced enough to take that on and the downside of NOT doing it wasn't appealing either. I told myself that I got way more in that coolant/SC replacement work that I didn't have to pay for, so maybe I talk to my VWs indie garage about doing the Fs oil changes. However, I did save myself some major dollars, by diagnosing and fixing the right side door rattle... it took two attempts (popping the inner door card off) to get to the source, but I think it's resolved. We do what we can.
What is this upper engine cleaning business all about? In my research travels leading up to a purchase I've been taking note of the various preventative and other maintenance items that are common for the F-type. Never came across this. I remember reading that some fuel additive was highly recommended in order to proactively keep the injectors clean over time. I had the impression that as long as this was done from day one that there wouldn't likely be any issues. Is this something related or similar?

Old 02-21-2023, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by DMeister
What is this upper engine cleaning business all about? In my research travels leading up to a purchase I've been taking note of the various preventative and other maintenance items that are common for the F-type. Never came across this. I remember reading that some fuel additive was highly recommended in order to proactively keep the injectors clean over time. I had the impression that as long as this was done from day one that there wouldn't likely be any issues. Is this something related or similar?
They almost certainly used the BG cleaning system or similar (CRC also has an almost identical system), see here for example:
And another recent one by Rainman Ray one of my favourite automotive You Tubers:
So not a fuel additive but injected/administered through the air induction system.

Valerie Stabenow (02-22-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 11:13 PM
Cgo
Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by tolson
Hey guys just want to say I love the car in its looks, power, and handling. However the cost this car has cost me after buying is insane.

I bought the car around 47k for a 2016 f type s. It had only 30k miles and was a florida car so no rust, great right? Nope.

I've spent 10k in repairs last year alone. The injectors were seized in place (which is a super common problem unfortunately to me finding out) and had to have the head taken off. Jaguar dealership is a joke and had to take it to a private shop that was willing to do the work. I had new injectors, plugs, and coils done. The car was gone for over 3 months of the 6 month season for driving and I was mad as hell. The job was over 35 hours long.

Now I will most likely have to spend 2-5k++++? on new fuel pumps. The fuel pumps are timing chain driven and the timing is messed up on the car. I had to take the car to the same private shop almost 2 hours away from my house.

I've had the car less than a year and I'm looking up to 15k in repairs for the first year. When I bought the car it had a brand new cooling system installed prior to me purchasing it, so I thought I would be OK. But no I guess I am wrong!!

What else do I have to look forward to breaking? It looks like these cars are nothing more than a HUGE money pit. Starting to really regret my purchase now, I could have spent the extra 15k and gotten a GTR instead.
UGH
Most high performance cars are expensive to own. Theyre mainly a luxury item, a second, third, or fourth+ car, not typically daily driven.

Gotta pay to play. I know I didn't buy this car and exoect it to be a Camry or civic. Talk about exoensive? Try owning an Aston Martin, Lambo, or even a 911.

I bought my car new in 21 and have had zero issues. Jags have never had a stellar reliability reputation but the past couple years have seen a huge improvement in reliability thanks to goals at JLR.

Unfortunately many people buy higher end sports cars without considering the total ownership costs. They aren't cheap. Sure, you can find a used Ferrari for 60k which many can afford but wouldn't be able to afford the maintenance costs.

Quick Reply: F type is extremely expensive car to own and maintain