Sponsored by:

F type front license plate mounting

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by rav1up
Reasons for requesting exemption:...
....and best of luck to you! Quite entertaining.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Indeed, and if he wins the lottery and it lands with someone at DMV who actually believes some of it, a 5-minute phone call to a JLR dealer GM that they know and trust will result in a quick denial.

Even Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes and other US makes are now shipped to dealers with the front plate mounting brackets in the trunk. The DMV has probably heard this 100s if not 1000s of times.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
The DMV has probably heard this 100s if not 1000s of times.

Hey, even if Rav only has one chance in a million, it's one chance more than if Rav hadn't tried at all. (and the entry ticket didn't cost anything) I'd give him the waiver just for making me laugh.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:12 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy

Hey, even if Rav only has one chance in a million, it's one chance more than if Rav hadn't tried at all. (and the entry ticket didn't cost anything) I'd give him the waiver just for making me laugh.
That was the idea - try as opposed to doing nothing. Especially after I read the $224 fine in WA for no front plates.

Last edited by rav1up; 03-12-2015 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

As I said, "good luck, " and "I admire your creativity." However, those structural integrity, warranty compromise, interruption of engine flow, and loss of life things were way over the top. Often, less is more.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:20 PM

Essentially none of the above is true except perhaps for #1, but good luck. You should have stopped after #1.
Don't forget #7 - the one reason that drives this whole conversation!

Old 03-12-2015, 08:34 PM

In case I dont win the lottery, anyone got pictures of having installed front plates using both Jag provided or custom ones like No Holes License Plate Bracket?

Google and Bing Image search does not yield as much as I would like to see (except for one black coupe in CA from BMC dealer).

Old 03-12-2015, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member

Don't forget #7 - the one reason that drives this whole conversation!
Yes, while that is the only one that has some semblance of truth attached to it, it is the least likely one to influence a DMV.

Honestly, I don't see the front plate as a big deal, and it just doesn't really affect the looks of the car to me. I just look past it.

I can't stand that tow hook solution, because the off-center and angle of the mount really does look horrible. The two little holes in the bumper from the plate holder being attached can be made to disappear in about 5 minutes with black plastic trim fasteners that disappear into the front crossbar. They are less noticeable than the parking sensors.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:41 PM
LMS
Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I wish someone would just buy one of these and tell us all how it works out...

Retractable License Plate Holder - Hide That Plate Show-N-GO

Old 03-12-2015, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LMS

That's also been discussed here. I've measured, and I'm 99% sure there isn't enough room under the lower splitter or space in front of it to work.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:35 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bjg625
Nevada police seem to have a live and let live attitude. Law says must have front but most Nev. delivered cars don't come with the brackets on or hole drilled. When we see one with it on a lot we know it originally was a Calif. car. If you really **** off one then you'll get the ticket along with everything else the cop can throw at you.

This.

I mounted my front plate in the spare tire well in the trunk.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by LMS

Had one on my XKR and it was great... won't fit on the Ftype R.
Lawrence.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:42 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

In case I dont win the lottery, anyone got pictures of having installed front plates using both Jag provided or custom ones like No Holes License Plate Bracket?

Google and Bing Image search does not yield as much as I would like to see (except for one black coupe in CA from BMC dealer).
the Skene bracket linked in post #12 of this thread is the best I've seen for mounting a front plate. It screws to the underside of the front bumper bar, so if you have reason to remove it, there will be no visible holes... well unless you lay on the ground and look.

It can be mounted dead center, so it's got the tow hook style beat in that regard.
It's fully adjustable in height, so you can position the plate centered on the bumper bar, flush with the top of the bumper bar, beneath the bumper bar, or anywhere in between.
It also comes sized for Euro plate frames, and if the brackets are positioned correctly, the euro style will also hold a US style plate from the same position.

I ordered one yesterday. Under $60 with tax and shipping.

I will likely paint the bracket gloss black, then mount the hardware, position a plate, then unscrew and remove all but the smallest portion of the adjustable bracket that is affixed to the underside of the bumper bar.

I believe these pieces painted gloss black will be hardly noticeable, yet I'll have the hardware in place for the inevitable $25 fix-it ticket that I'll need to get signed off, for running with no plates whatsoever.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

Yes the skene is very adjustable. The only draw back is it makes it a little difficult to get it straight, just too many screws you do not want to fuly tighten until you have the position and then are easily moved again when tightening them. But once installed it is great. I recommend to get some self adhesive rubber bumpers to stick to the back of the plate were it might touch your (bumps in the road, wind pressure).

Old 03-14-2015, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Weird. My car has a plastic bracket mounted to the underside of the grill beam to which the front plate screws. This leaves the top edge of the plate parallel with and slightly below the upper edge of the beam. I'll look for the part number tomorrow.

Last edited by F-typical; 03-14-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds like a great solution for the longer and narrow Euro-style plate. I suspect it's not adaptable to the U.S. style.

Should I ever have an opportunity to remove the front plate, it's an easy fix to plug the two small holes left by the US-style, JLR-supplied, front plate bracket. They'll disappear into the bumper bar and are less noticeable than the parking sensors.

CURT® 22322 - Pro-Finishing Pack

Old 03-14-2015, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

There isn't a requirement relating to the shape - just the colour, font, spacing and size.

The tags on the front end of my Parent's Falcon would fit. Virginia mind.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:48 PM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
the Skene bracket linked in post #12 of this thread is the best I've seen for mounting a front plate. It screws to the underside of the front bumper bar, so if you have reason to remove it, there will be no visible holes... well unless you lay on the ground and look.

It can be mounted dead center, so it's got the tow hook style beat in that regard.
It's fully adjustable in height, so you can position the plate centered on the bumper bar, flush with the top of the bumper bar, beneath the bumper bar, or anywhere in between.
It also comes sized for Euro plate frames, and if the brackets are positioned correctly, the euro style will also hold a US style plate from the same position.

I ordered one yesterday. Under $60 with tax and shipping.

I will likely paint the bracket gloss black, then mount the hardware, position a plate, then unscrew and remove all but the smallest portion of the adjustable bracket that is affixed to the underside of the bumper bar.

I believe these pieces painted gloss black will be hardly noticeable, yet I'll have the hardware in place for the inevitable $25 fix-it ticket that I'll need to get signed off, for running with no plates whatsoever.

I bought one of these years ago for a BMW I owned and it worked great. I think I will order one for my F-Type to keep in the trunk in case I get a "fix-it" ticket. Keep us posted on how well it works on your F-Type.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by F-typical
There isn't a requirement relating to the shape - just the colour, font, spacing and size.

The tags on the front end of my Parent's Falcon would fit. Virginia mind.
Are you trying to say the bracket you referred to would allow a US style plate to fit?

We do have a requirement relating to shape. All US state plates are the same dimensions.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member

Are you trying to say the bracket you referred to would allow a US style plate to fit?

We do have a requirement relating to shape. All US state plates are the same dimensions.
Yes, in Maryland the law specifically states the plate must be issued by the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration.

Quick Reply: F type front license plate mounting