F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Gets A Manual Tranny!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 07:53 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by pragmatic
I don't think you'll get awd with a manual (not that you asked for that), too hard on the clutch. I still feel the 4 cylinder is coming to satisfy CAFE. If so having the MT available only with the 4 cylinder would help increase sales of the 4.
My TT-RS is AWD and a manual. Clutch has no issues and it is pulling quite a bit of torque. 476TQ at the crank with stage 2 tune.

Personally I would probably want the R with a stick but not with AWD. I want the tail to be a bit happy, which my TT-RS is not. However being AWD it launches like a rocket.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Having spent a lot of time driving my business partner's Audi S5-6 speed on the track and street, I can't describe just how pleasurable and smooth this shifter/clutch combination really is. It's a gearbox that begs to be shifted and is almost "sucked" into up and down shifts. It's a completely different feeling than paddles or an automatic. As others have said, it's not about the speed. It's one of the reasons why I like driving the S5 more than the R8 v10 that I've driven with the auto. And if Jaguar adds a manual, they should emulate this kind of quality feel.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

I had an A5 as a DD with about 45 minutes of stop-n-go traffic in DC, absolute joy and no burden at all. The shifter was fantastic, short throw, smooth, positive engagement .... really just click click ...

Old 05-09-2014, 08:52 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I just returned from the Jaguar Performance Driving Academy at COTA in Austin (which included driving the F-Type R Coupe pretty hard. Needless to say, AMAZING). I spoke at length with a JLR rep, and while he obviously couldn't answer any direct questions about future offerings, he heavily implied that they were testing the manual transmission for the F-Type (good news). The bad news is that if/when it does come out, it will only be on the V6 models, and not the V8, due to the inability of manual transmissions to cope with the immense torque/hp of the V8.

So in short, if it comes, it will be on the F-Type V6/V6S. That would be a tough choice.... V6S manual or V8 R (or R-S) paddleshift.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by texevora
So in short, if it comes, it will be on the F-Type V6/V6S. That would be a tough choice.... V6S manual or V8 R (or R-S) paddleshift.
That doesnt really make much sense. If you don't give a manual transmission to the highest performance model then whats the point?

Go tell corvette manual transmissions can't handle torque. If you put a manual in the V8, you get my money. If you don't, i spend it on an aston. Hopefully someone who matters will read these things.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:28 PM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
That doesnt really make much sense. If you don't give a manual transmission to the highest performance model then whats the point?
There are three possible points:
1. They want to use a cheaper clutch/transmission or
2. They want a slight bump in V6 sales to help CAFE numbers or
3. They want the take rate to be so low that they can say "see no one wants a manual transmission".

Old 05-09-2014, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

There are three possible points:
2. They want a slight bump in V6 sales to help CAFE numbers or
3. They want the take rate to be so low that they can say "see no one wants a manual transmission".
All very bad business decisions.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:57 AM
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

If you have to ask you'll never know.
This was spot on

Old 05-10-2014, 04:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
All very bad business decisions.
As is a manual v8.
The volume is just not justified for Jaguar.
They are barely at-scale as it is.
Manual shift vehicle sales have been declining not just in the US but worldwide.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:52 PM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

This would be the case as it's slush boxes that have problems handling too much torque.

Anyway my number one reason for a manual is my left leg is just bored to death with me driving automatics for the past 6 years. Along with that the pulse of a V8 heart is also a must.

I think for my next car I'm going to switch Callum brother.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:24 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Tested a Vantage S with the manual transmission before I bought my V8s. Wasn't overly impressed with transmission to be honest, and the car is noticeably slower than the Jag.

As an aside, autos have no problem handling high torque. In addition to the high HP jaguars, there are 911 turbos running huge hp/torque with the stock auto.

Last edited by swajames; 05-10-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:54 PM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by schraderade
As is a manual v8.
The volume is just not justified for Jaguar.
They are barely at-scale as it is.
Manual shift vehicle sales have been declining not just in the US but worldwide.
Yes the sales of manual cars have been dropping, but how you look at sales is also important.

The percent of BMW 3 series with manuals has been falling for the last decade, but the overall number of manual 3 series sold has barely declined due to increases in overall sales.

Similar with the VW GTI. In 2005 they first offered the GTI with an DCT which out performed the manual GTI. GTI sales doubled, but half the sales were with the 6 speed. So no real decline in MT sales.

Both of these cars are harder to buy in MTs (low dealer stock or dealers requiring special orders). So if introducing good automatics in these models did not cause a big drop in manual sales tells me that there is a segment of the buying public that will go manual (if a good manual is offered).

Granted the F-type is a different market and Jag has always been stingy with the MTs so we will have to wait and see wha they offer and how it sells.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Yes the sales of manual cars have been dropping, but how you look at sales is also important.
Don't disagree. If Jaguar had the same scale (volume wise) as the BMW 3 series or the VW, it might make sense (and even barely then) to offer MT.

Unfortunately the reality is Jaguar doesn't have anywhere close to that scale, so it just doesnt make business sense for them.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by schraderade
Don't disagree. If Jaguar had the same scale (volume wise) as the BMW 3 series or the VW, it might make sense (and even barely then) to offer MT.

Unfortunately the reality is Jaguar doesn't have anywhere close to that scale, so it just doesnt make business sense for them.
It's probably just me, but I have trouble taking any sports car seriously that isn't offered with a manual transmission, at least in base form. A GT car, supercar, muscle car, etc., I can. But a sports car whose purpose is to really make the driver and car as one really must have a manual transmission! It's not just the F-Type, though. I'm very surprised the Alfa 4C isn't offered with a stick either!

Old 05-11-2014, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Neither are any Lamborghinis offered any longer with manual trans.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

You can certainly make arguments for either side, the new Vantage S is no longer offered with a manual either, as is Porsche's quintessential sports car the GT3.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:05 AM
Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

The F-Type will be my first sports car without a manual. I've test-driven several cars with auto/paddle-shift, but I never could get a feel for the engine RPMs and powerband by ear alone in such a short time. I know I'll adapt quickly with the F-Type's auto, but it is kind of sad to see the manual fade out. I will say traffic jams in the Lotus with a manual were pretty rough, so I have learned to appreciate auto-transmissions in this metroplex.