Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Gone . . . C7 Here

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalJagS
Congrats on the new Vette, they are really beautiful cars. Don't forget the sun screen when driving those convertibles, that wind and sun will take its toll and melanoma is nothing you want to risk.
SoCal,

Thanks, and that's an important reminder to everyone. I recently suffered a personal loss to melanoma.

In Annapolis, MD (home of the US Naval Academy) many families "adopted" midshipmen, which gave them a place to get away and relax when off-duty. A young man we were particularly fond of was diagnosed w/ it shortly after qualifying on F-18s and being assigned to an aircraft carrier squadron. He lost his fight a year or so later.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:13 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalJagS
Congrats on the new Vette, they are really beautiful cars. Don't forget the sun screen when driving those convertibles, that wind and sun will take its toll and melanoma is nothing you want to risk.
I wear a fitness tracker with UV meter (MS Band 2) - it basically pings the sensor every so often and reminds me if I'm in an environment that requires SPF 30+. It will also alert me to reapply sunscreen after a period of time out in the sun.

As to the OP, black is the perfect color for a C7. Excellent choice.

The following 2 users liked this post by meefer:
Foosh (06-09-2016), jaguny (06-12-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 02:18 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

foosh why not a used lambo or ferrari, dont get me wrong c7 looks great and drive great for the price jag interior quality is not up to its price c7 is even worst, and driving a jag you have a brand that have a luxury to its name corvette not so much

Old 06-11-2016, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by kamiar
foosh why not a used lambo or ferrari, dont get me wrong c7 looks great and drive great for the price jag interior quality is not up to its price c7 is even worst, and driving a jag you have a brand that have a luxury to its name corvette not so much
I know you didn't ask me, but my answer would be: if you need to buy your own parts for either of those 2 marques or need routine service, you need to take a second mortgage out on the house. For the C7, parts from NAPA or even the Chevy dealer are reasonable. Even the Jag parts and servicing are quite reasonable priced by comparison.

Old 06-11-2016, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I know you didn't ask me, but my answer would be: if you need to buy your own parts for either of those 2 marques or need routine service, you need to take a second mortgage out on the house. For the C7, parts from NAPA or even the Chevy dealer are reasonable. Even the Jag parts and servicing are quite reasonable priced by comparison.
i'm aware of the cost of ownership for a lambo as my friend have one, but there are some lambo with 1-2 years of warranty left on them in case you need some peace of mind, lets say for 50k usd a used aston martin

Old 06-11-2016, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member

i'm aware of the cost of ownership for a lambo as my friend have one, but there are some lambo with 1-2 years of warranty left on them in case you need some peace of mind,
Agreed, warranties are a short term equalizer. It all depends on the ownership assumptions. I, for one have never owned a car for less than 8 years (my C4 Vette that began to rattle itself apart had to go at that point). Except for the F-Type, my current stable of cars range in age from 14 years to 40 years, so maintenance costs are a major consideration.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Agreed, warranties are a short term equalizer. It all depends on the ownership assumptions. I, for one have never owned a car for less than 8 years (my C4 Vette that began to rattle itself apart had to go at that point). Except for the F-Type, my current stable of cars range in age from 14 years to 40 years, so maintenance costs are a major consideration.
see fosh is changing car often, i have a feeling he is like me get board easily so lets say a 2 year warranty should do it for him, but again his life he can do whatever he want just wanted to know why a vet over a supercar

2015 C7 Z51 convertible
2014 F-Type V6 convertible (sold 6/16)
2015 Mercedes C-300
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
2013 Winnebago Tour
2013 Kubota BX-2370

Old 06-11-2016, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

A C7 Z51 is going to outperform most used Aston Martins and you're going to pay less for a comparable 'vette.....newer, less miles, etc. It really depends what you want but if you want performance period and don't care about image, etc. the 'vette is almost impossible to beat.

I bought my F type over a 'vette because of the styling, the relative rarity and because I wanted a nice upscale touring sportscar....but that doesn't mean I'm blind to what the 'vette offers...which is a lot. Until you get into the subjective stuff, the 'vette makes a very hard argument based on virtually every measurable point

Dave

Old 06-12-2016, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member

I don't like Ferarris or Lambos, and I don't need to have a brand that has "luxury" attached to it. I don't care what other people think, and I am exclusively concerned with my own personal enjoyment of a vehicle.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPelletier
A C7 Z51 is going to outperform most used Aston Martins and you're going to pay less for a comparable 'vette.....newer, less miles, etc. It really depends what you want but if you want performance period and don't care about image, etc. the 'vette is almost impossible to beat.

I bought my F type over a 'vette because of the styling, the relative rarity and because I wanted a nice upscale touring sportscar....but that doesn't mean I'm blind to what the 'vette offers...which is a lot. Until you get into the subjective stuff, the 'vette makes a very hard argument based on virtually every measurable point

Dave
Exactly right Dave, except for one thing, a C7 Z51 is going to outperform [U]every[/U ]Aston Martin to date. It's also within striking distance of the Ferrari F12 and 458, as well as the Lambo Aventador

And, of course, the Z06 blows them all away.

Laguna Seca (post 1988) lap times - FastestLaps.com

Old 06-12-2016, 09:28 AM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Foosh - are you going to track the C7? I know that you do not need a C7 for puttering around public roads. You really cannot use all that power.

I bought my V8S because I like having power - I have never really used all that power I have on public roads. I do not track it either - I just like power for the sake of power.

Old 06-12-2016, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I don't like Ferarris or Lambos, and I don't need to have a brand that has "luxury" attached to it. I don't care what other people think, and I am exclusively concerned with my own personal enjoyment of a vehicle.
I commend you for knowing who you are and staying true to it. Your vehicle choice is for you and no one else. My XFR is my first upscale vehicle purchase and I like the extra attention it gives. But I wouldn't pay a lot more for it. I bought mine used for a very good deal and have loved it ever since. In fact, I don't know what I'd buy if something happened to this one.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (06-12-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 11:28 AM

i got you man, enjoy your new car bro

Foosh (06-12-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by enfield
Foosh - are you going to track the C7? I know that you do not need a C7 for puttering around public roads. You really cannot use all that power.

I bought my V8S because I like having power - I have never really used all that power I have on public roads. I do not track it either - I just like power for the sake of power.
Yes, I have a lot of track time in two previous Corvettes, and this one will see some track time as well. You're right, you really can't use that kind of power on the street very much except for short bursts up to sane speeds. It will also make an incredible autocross car.

However, as I've said over and over in this thread, this acquisition was more about having a superb MT, and superb handling in a relatively light car once again. Not having an MT for the 1st time in 40 years was taking a lot of the fun out of my driving experience.

drbill (06-12-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member

Not having an MT for the 1st time in 40 years was taking a lot of the fun out of my driving experience.
I can understand that. Never willing even to give it a try.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:29 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

"...Not having an MT for the 1st time in 40 years was taking a lot of the fun out of my driving experience."
Do I ever hear you there. I drove nothing but MT's for years. The chief reason I started even looking at AT's in the first place was the much improved designs (quick shifts) and my very long commute. I've really enjoyed my R, but have been looking for some time to go back to a MT.

All this said, Foosh, take good care and enjoy your new ride. I've thoroughly enjoyed your many contributions to the forum and wish you nothing but the best.

Foosh (06-12-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by deltagroup
I've really enjoyed my R, but have been looking for some time to go back to a MT.
Try a V6S MT with a 430hp/411tq tune. Really nice.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:47 AM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

However, as I've said over and over in this thread, this acquisition was more about having a superb MT, and superb handling in a relatively light car once again. Not having an MT for the 1st time in 40 years was taking a lot of the fun out of my driving experience.
I can definitely understand that. This definitely goes both ways. For me... I don't miss driving a manual at all and doesnt take away from my enjoyment of the car.

Foosh (06-13-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 05:12 AM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

Traitor.

But have fun anyway, it is a pretty cool car, not as good looking but way more muscular.

Foosh (06-14-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 06:23 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I am glad to see someone else went through this even it was a different outcome. I so wanted a C7 Z06. I was this close to buying one when the wife suggest we look at the F-Type. We had priced one out last year. Looked at the F-Type one last time and decide on that.
Having two Fifth Gen Camaros I know how easy they are to modify and how low maintenance and parts can be. I just wanted something different and for me the F-Type R was the way to go. I swore to myself I would keep it stock but two weeks in and I am already looking to tune and pulley down.
Enjoy your Vette they are awesome machines.

Foosh (06-14-2016)