Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Gone . . . C7 Here

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Exactly right Dave, except for one thing, a C7 Z51 is going to outperform [U]every[/U ]Aston Martin to date. It's also within striking distance of the Ferrari F12 and 458, as well as the Lambo Aventador

And, of course, the Z06 blows them all away.

Laguna Seca (post 1988) lap times - FastestLaps.com
Why do you think a F-Type R coupe finished at 57 (1:42) behind the S at 53 (1:40.81) with the same driver? Do you think the S was a vert (they don't state the year)?

Where wold you honestly assume a TESLA P90DL would fall on this list? I ask because I test drove this Tesla a month ago for 24 hours and honestly, I have never driven a faster car. Say what you will but the ludicrous pulls like a supercar, McLaren or GT40.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-14-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:42 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

V8S is by definition a convertible. Coupes are V8R (and now V8 convertibles are too.)

Old 06-14-2016, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
V8S is by definition a convertible. Coupes are V8R (and now V8 convertibles are too.)
For most marques, arent coupes better handling cars that would outperform a vert around a track? Perhaps coupes are heavier huh.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-14-2016 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:08 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

The F-type was originally designed as a vert, so it has decent stiffness. The coupe is stiffer, but the vert is already stiff. Usually, a vert is heavier than a coupe, because they need to add weight to stiffen it, when they chop the roof off. Not here.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
For most marques, arent coupes better handling cars that would outperform a vert around a track? Perhaps coupes are heavier huh.
There are a few issues here;

- while coupes are usually a bunch lighter than 'verts (500 lbs on the M4 IIRC though it is a HT vert), it isn't so on the F type with maybe a 50 lb difference. This is likely because they designed the F type as a convertible and then added the roof to the coupe without changing/lightening the chassis to compensate.

- the fastest F type around a track is the Project 7.....which is a convertible.

as far as the R track times go; it may be a bit quicker....or not. The issue is that the AWD R weighs 170 lbs more than the RWD cars. Also for consideration is the fact that the V8S cars while rated at 495 PS (and apparently HP in N.A. according to JLR) really run the same 510 PS tune as the XKRS AND since there is no hardware difference, the real hp difference between the two is around 40 PS.....and about half of that difference is eaten up by the extra weight on the AWD cars so that's why the performance isn't as different as you'd expect. In situations where traction becomes a bigger issue, the AWD should be able to widen the gap.....possibly more of an issue in real world, all weather conditions than the track with sticky tires. In theory, the fastest non SVR, non P7 F type should be a V8R RWD....most of the time.

2 cents,
Dave

Old 06-14-2016, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
The F-type was originally designed as a vert, so it has decent stiffness. The coupe is stiffer, but the vert is already stiff. Usually, a vert is heavier than a coupe, because they need to add weight to stiffen it, when they chop the roof off. Not here.
yep, pretty much it. This is actually one of the reasons I went with the F type is I only wanted a convertible and didn't want to pay a huge performance penalty vs. a coupe of the same model.

Dave

Old 06-14-2016, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPelletier
yep, pretty much it. This is actually one of the reasons I went with the F type is I only wanted a convertible and didn't want to pay a huge performance penalty vs. a coupe of the same model.

Dave
Makes a lot of sense and thanks for the thorough explanation.

Half way through I started thinking the 4wd should cut quite a bit of time in terms of handling (I noticed the slippery handling feel of my RWD (mad oversteer) and have read that the 4wd addresses this). You stated Seca isn't a traction dependent road course in terms that Nürburgring would shorten 4wd times quite a bit more. I'm sure you guys have seen this.

Speaking on Nurburgring...check this out.

"Although there are many great driving roads in the world, perhaps the most famous is the Nürburgring.

Built and completed in 1927 around the medieval castle city of Nürburg, it lies about 75 miles northwest of Frankfurt and 50 miles south of Cologne. Easy day trip distance, which is exactly our focus.

Though the Nürburgring is used mainly by car companies for testing and sanctioned races, examples of the latter being DTM (German Touring Car) and Formula 1, it is open to the public...if you can handle it.

Nürburgring is widely regarded as the toughest and most demanding race track in the world due to its long length and sheer number of corners. Public access is typically on the weekends, and all road-legal vehicles can pay to drive on this historic road. Sports cars and motorcycles are the of course the most common sights, but even RVs and tour buses are allowed to have their turn.

Here's the deal. The Nürburgring is a one-way toll road and German road laws still apply. During testing and racing events it is closed to the public, but there are plenty of accessible viewing areas all around the course.

The original and longest configuration of the road is called Gesamtstrecke (Whole Course), which is 17.5 miles (28.26 km) long. The most famous layout, however, is called Nordscheife (Northern Loop). It’s 14+ miles of road and corners have seen many famous racing drivers and about as many devastating crashes.

Since it is a toll road there is a charge for each vehicle. A single lap around Nordschleife is €26 ($35.50), four laps is €97 ($132.45), and nine laps is €202 ($275.83). You can also purchase an annual unlimited pass for €1,475 ($2014.11), if you live in the area or you just want to boast that you hold a Nürburgring annual pass (and who wouldn't?).

If you're Germany-bound and without wheels to take 'round the track, don’t worry. There are a few companies that rent cars for track use, so avoid renting at Avis and Hertz with the intention of driving one of their cars around the ‘Ring. The usual rental companies have been known to make you pay for the full damages inflicted if an accident occurs during your time at Nürburgring. All of the Ring-friendly rental companies can be found on a special site.

Need more info to make it happen? Head over to the Nürburgring’s official website and then save a spot for us. We totally call shotgun."

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-14-2016 at 05:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by polarisnavyxj:
DPelletier (06-14-2016), jaguny (06-15-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Half way through I started thinking the 4wd should cut quite a bit of time in terms of handling (I noticed the slippery handling feel of my RWD (mad oversteer) and have read that the 4wd addresses this).
Changing to the Michelin PSSs when it's time for new tires will take some of the oversteer out of the car.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Why do you think a F-Type R coupe finished at 57 (1:42) behind the S at 53 (1:40.81) with the same driver? Do you think the S was a vert (they don't state the year)?

Where wold you honestly assume a TESLA P90DL would fall on this list? I ask because I test drove this Tesla a month ago for 24 hours and honestly, I have never driven a faster car. Say what you will but the ludicrous pulls like a supercar, McLaren or GT40.

You have gotten some good feedbacks from others on this, but another thing is that this is just one test done once on the same track by the same driver but at two different times.

This is not anywere near enough to say that this is the result you would have gotten if this test had been performed repeatedly on other tracks by other drivers in other cars (of the same make and models).

In fact there has been meny comments that the lap time set with the R (at 1:42) was rather poorly driven.

If you want to see more lap times by different cars at different tracks, this is one place to find it:

Home - FastestLaps.com

ps: regarding the Nurburgring (die Nordsleife), they have tested different Tesla's there several times, but without any good results. The reason is not that the car is not fast, but it goes rather quickly into a kind of "safe" mode as the electrical system gets overheated.....

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (06-15-2016)
Old 06-15-2016, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Arne
You have gotten some good feedbacks from others on this, but another thing is that this is just one test done once on the same track by the same driver but at two different times.

This is not anywere near enough to say that this is the result you would have gotten if this test had been performed repeatedly on other tracks by other drivers in other cars (of the same make and models).

In fact there has been meny comments that the lap time set with the R (at 1:42) was rather poorly driven.

If you want to see more lap times by different cars at different tracks, this is one place to find it:

Home - FastestLaps.com

ps: regarding the Nurburgring (die Nordsleife), they have tested different Tesla's there several times, but without any good results. The reason is not that the car is not fast, but it goes rather quickly into a kind of "safe" mode as the electrical system gets overheated.....
Arne, all very good points above.

With regard to Tesla, yes it's very fast for relatively short periods of time in very straight lines. It certainly isn't receiving kudos for handling prowess.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

Arne, all very good points above.

With regard to Tesla, yes it's very fast for relatively short periods of time in very straight lines. It certainly isn't receiving kudos for handling prowess.
I get that, just was curious as to what a capable sedan could do. I know the limited ed. Caddy CTS-V put up a great time for a street car, or better, a Vette in street clothing.

Just curious as to Teslas results in this environment other than their impressive drag times.

I came extremely close to buying a P90DL before pulling this trigger.

The safe mode statement makes a ton of sense. The batteries do overheat with hard use. Thanks for the explanation as to why only a few Tesla track times are ever posted other than short 1/4 mile bursts.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-15-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:58 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Slightly related to that - my Mercury Milan hybrid (aka Ford Fusion) has a separate cooling system for the hybrid electronics.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Arne

Absolutely right IMO. For the record, I'm not suggesting that those posted times mean a V8S is faster than a V8R; my comments are only to illustrate why they may be closer than you'd otherwise think. Different days, temps, humidity, variances between individual cars, heck even whether the driver had one cup of coffee or two all conspire to make a test of just two times and two cars on two different days merely a couple data points.
You'd need a few of each and swapping drivers to get a meaningful picture of repeatable and expected differences.

Dave

Old 06-15-2016, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

....agreed; I was going to say the same thing. Tesla has made some amazing progress.....but not enough to retire internal combustion engines just yet.

Dave

Old 06-15-2016, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPelletier
Absolutely right IMO. For the record, I'm not suggesting that those posted times mean a V8S is faster than a V8R; my comments are only to illustrate why they may be closer than you'd otherwise think. Different days, temps, humidity, variances between individual cars, heck even whether the driver had one cup of coffee or two all conspire to make a test of just two times and two cars on two different days merely a couple data points.
You'd need a few of each and swapping drivers to get a meaningful picture of repeatable and expected differences.

Dave
FWIW, the lap times published at fastestlaps.com are supposedly the verified track record for various vehicles. And, of course, all kinds of variables affect track times, but having the same driver does eliminate one major variable.

I don't know how often these lists get updated, but the F-Type times are a nearly a couple of years old now, and the lap time for the R was the RWD version. Obviously, the V8S was also RWD, since it's last MY in the US was 2015.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-15-2016 at 01:36 PM.
DPelletier (06-15-2016)
Old 06-15-2016, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Default As long as the run is, I'd say the times are within the margin of error

of other variables. You are so right.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:51 AM
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Friend of mine just bought a C7 Z06 and gotta say, fantastic cars. Congrats, Foosh. You should still come with us on our next F Type cruise, lol.

Foosh (06-16-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ImNotFamousAnymore
Friend of mine just bought a C7 Z06 and gotta say, fantastic cars. Congrats, Foosh. You should still come with us on our next F Type cruise, lol.
+1. It's a collection of F-Type forum members, not just F-Types. We'd love to see your car.

Foosh (06-16-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Famous and Unhingd. I'm honored you'd still have me, and I'll make every attempt to make it.

I don't recall exactly, but wasn't it scheduled for July 9? We're talking the motorcoach down to Charleston, SC then for a long weekend.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Famous and Unhingd. I'm honored you'd still have me, and I'll make every attempt to make it.

I don't recall exactly, but wasn't it scheduled for July 9? We're talking the motorcoach down to Charleston, SC then for a long weekend.
Supercars on State Street Harrisburg July 30 .
No excuses, Foosh.

ImNotFamousAnymore (06-16-2016)