F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type and iPod compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Type and iPod compatibility

Quick question: The F-Type doesn't recognize my old iPod (~5-6 years old and a few generations back) either as an iPod or as a USB device. I've tried all combinations of plugging it in while paused, playing a song, completely off, etc. Nothing seems to work. I wonder if the F-Type will only work with a newer iPod. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

-Kevbo

Old 05-14-2014, 06:37 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

I have a ton of iPods but the one I use for the Jag (and my Range Rover) is a 5th generation which is also a fair few years old. I will check the exact version later and will try to post back.

One thing that I did struggle with early on was that I could not get bluetooth audio streaming to work no matter what I tried. Discovered the remedy on here - bluetooth audio and iPod connectivity could not co-exist. When I unplugged the iPod, the bluetooth audio worked. Are you trying to do the reverse? If you do have the A2DP streaming connected and try to connect the iPod, it may not work just as it didn't for me in reverse. Perhaps try unpairing the phone audio and then reconnecting the iPod? As obvious as it sounds, are you also sure the 30 pin dock connector/cable are good? I've had issues there too and that may be worth double checking.

I'll post back on my specific iPod version as I have to think the one I use for the car is at least as old as yours.

The following users liked this post:
kevbo (05-15-2014)
Old 05-14-2014, 10:13 PM

swajames, thanks for the info. I am using the Bluetooth to connect my phone. I will try it without Bluetooth active on the phone. I just updated my iPod firmware to the latest version to see if that will help. It is an old iPod Nano that has been in the glovebox of my old BMW for years and years. Will post an update if it works.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:16 PM

Kevbo, to confirm, I am using a spare iPod 5th generation (late 2006) model in the Jag, and it also works in the Range Rover.

Keep us posted!

Old 05-15-2014, 10:01 AM
Default Resolved

Swajames,

Great suggestion. This morning, I turned off bluetooth on my phone and connected the iPod to my F-Type. Instant recognition and I'm rocking out to my old familiar tunes. Then I turn on bluetooth on the phone and the car finds it, connects, and we are all good. The next time I start the car, both iPod and phone connect. It was just as simple as doing it in the right order the first time. Thank you for the help.

-Kevbo

Last edited by kevbo; 05-15-2014 at 10:03 AM. Reason: stupid typos
Old 05-15-2014, 02:26 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kevbo
Swajames,

Great suggestion. This morning, I turned off bluetooth on my phone and connected the iPod to my F-Type. Instant recognition and I'm rocking out to my old familiar tunes. Then I turn on bluetooth on the phone and the car finds it, connects, and we are all good. The next time I start the car, both iPod and phone connect. It was just as simple as doing it in the right order the first time. Thank you for the help.

-Kevbo
Out of curiosity, will your phone stream music while the iPod is connected? Mine will not.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:59 PM

drgek - it does not - or at least mine does not. it's one or the other. With the iPod connected, the car won't connect to the phone as a streaming audio source (but the bluetooth works for calls etc), with the iPod disconnected the phone can stream bluetooth audio.

The following users liked this post:
drgek (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 08:00 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
drgek - it does not - or at least mine does not. it's one or the other. With the iPod connected, the car won't connect to the phone as a streaming audio source (but the bluetooth works for calls etc), with the iPod disconnected the phone can stream bluetooth audio.
Mine is the same way, also that way in my Range Rover. Thanks.