F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Lessons Learned

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013 | 04:50 PM
|
Default F-Type Lessons Learned

Apparently there is a seating problem with the rear springs, not dangerous but you'll hear a "thunk" on uneven pavement, it may only be with the V8 models as I haven't seen anyone with a 6 mention it. Dealer says a repair is being worked by Jaguar and it will be rolled out to the appropriate cars.

The trim items you can change out are wicked expensive, however several Jaguar dealers are selling them at a discount. Naples Luxury imports in Florida is selling on eBay and Gaudin has been running specials on some of them. Be aware that Mina Gallery is working on a set and the pricing should be very aggressive. I expect they are 3 to 6 months off though. For instance the carbon fiber engine cover that Naples is selling at a discount for $3K they think they can sell for under $500. Something to keep an eye on.

This stuff also seems much cheaper if you order it on the car, installed by the dealer it is very pricey after the fact (it looks like most of this stuff snaps on buy haven't tried to do it myself yet). For instance the Carbon Fiber pack shows as a no cost option and the Black Pack, which includes a black grill, is $400 extra. The mirror covers alone in carbon fiber sell for $500 each and I have to figure the black grill and surround are more like $2K (haven't found one for sale yet).

Finally get the vision pack, it has front sensors. If you crack the front spoiler it is crazy expensive to fix (just ask the dealer what it costs to fix the XKRS front spoiler). Those sensors have saved my *** 3 times now.

The following 2 users liked this post by enderle:
Ken Roy (07-18-2013), SkipM (07-17-2013)
Old 07-05-2013 | 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by enderle
Apparently there is a seating problem with the rear springs, not dangerous but you'll hear a "thunk" on uneven pavement, it may only be with the V8 models as I haven't seen anyone with a 6 mention it. Dealer says a repair is being worked by Jaguar and it will be rolled out to the appropriate cars.

The trim items you can change out are wicked expensive, however several Jaguar dealers are selling them at a discount. Naples Luxury imports in Florida is selling on eBay and Gaudin has been running specials on some of them. Be aware that Mina Gallery is working on a set and the pricing should be very aggressive. I expect they are 3 to 6 months off though. For instance the carbon fiber engine cover that Naples is selling at a discount for $3K they think they can sell for under $500. Something to keep an eye on.

This stuff also seems much cheaper if you order it on the car, installed by the dealer it is very pricey after the fact (it looks like most of this stuff snaps on buy haven't tried to do it myself yet). For instance the Carbon Fiber pack shows as a no cost option and the Black Pack, which includes a black grill, is $400 extra. The mirror covers alone in carbon fiber sell for $500 each and I have to figure the black grill and surround are more like $2K (haven't found one for sale yet).

Finally get the vision pack, it has front sensors. If you crack the front spoiler it is crazy expensive to fix (just ask the dealer what it costs to fix the XKRS front spoiler). Those sensors have saved my *** 3 times now.
Not sure what you are talking about. I have no such problem and just checked with Gaudin no TSBs are out yet on this.

Old 07-05-2013 | 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by enderle

OK I did just hear from Dane (the shop foreman at Gaudin) he says there is no campaign and not even a TSB yet but there are a few owners who've complained of a "knocking" noise in the suspension. He's going to look into it. I don't have such a noise on my V8. He says it's not a safety issue for anyone who does have it but that it is a nuisance issue and Jaguar will fix it if someone complains.

You're absolutely right about ordering the car WITH CF items v. adding them on later. Cheaper to order with. Not been able to find any actual shipping discounts.

Old 07-06-2013 | 11:20 AM

There is no tsb or campaign yet, but there is an ssm and here it is
Reference SSM66717Models F-TYPE / X152
Title F-Type Suspension Knock / Creak from rear of VehicleCategoryChassisLast modified27-Jun-2013 00:00:00Symptom304000 Suspension SystemContent Issue: A Customer may report a Knock or Creak from the rear of the vehicle when going over bumps or maneuvering at slow speed.

Cause: Absence of an isolator sleeve fitted to the rear Coil Spring.

Action: A Technical Service Bulletin is currently being compiled and will be published shortly, please do not attempt any short term repair methods such as lubrication and non-approved parts.

The TSB will detail how to fit an isolator sleeve to each individual rear Coil Spring to eradicate the noise.

Old 07-06-2013 | 12:11 PM

I have the v8 and do hear a knock in the rear suspension. The times I hear it is when making a hard left slow speed turn. ( when leaving my subdivision.) I will mention it to the dealer when I go in , but not worth a special trip. Just enough to make you go HMMMM. Other than that 2500 miles and smooth sailing.

Old 07-06-2013 | 01:13 PM
|
Default knock

Agreed it really isn't that bad, just a bit annoying. I expect they'll have the fix before the car needs its first service.

Old 07-07-2013 | 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by gavin76
There is no tsb or campaign yet, but there is an ssm and here it is
Reference SSM66717Models F-TYPE / X152
Title F-Type Suspension Knock / Creak from rear of VehicleCategoryChassisLast modified27-Jun-2013 00:00:00Symptom304000 Suspension SystemContent Issue: A Customer may report a Knock or Creak from the rear of the vehicle when going over bumps or maneuvering at slow speed.

Cause: Absence of an isolator sleeve fitted to the rear Coil Spring.

Action: A Technical Service Bulletin is currently being compiled and will be published shortly, please do not attempt any short term repair methods such as lubrication and non-approved parts.

The TSB will detail how to fit an isolator sleeve to each individual rear Coil Spring to eradicate the noise.
Good to know. The last part is important. Wait until the TSB is issued. I wonder why I don't hear it in my car? I will try going over more bumps - I usually avoid those

Old 07-09-2013 | 01:37 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

Thanks for the posting. I have the V6S, and I hear exactly what you describe - only at low speeds, usually while turning left exiting my driveway.

Last edited by DJS; 07-11-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-17-2013 | 02:11 PM

I also have a thunk on slow speed. If I go over a speed bump or driveway lip

Old 07-17-2013 | 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Scott Bourne
OK I did just hear from Dane (the shop foreman at Gaudin) he says there is no campaign and not even a TSB yet but there are a few owners who've complained of a "knocking" noise in the suspension. He's going to look into it.
Dane is one of the best. I met him years ago at the Technicians competition. He won that year. He has a lot of respect throughout Jaguar from what I can tell.

Old 07-18-2013 | 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by BlackX300VDP
Dane is one of the best. I met him years ago at the Technicians competition. He won that year. He has a lot of respect throughout Jaguar from what I can tell.
Yep he's the only person I let work on my cars. He comes to my house, leaves his truck, takes my car to the dealership, does the work and then comes back same day. No fuss no muss. He IS the best.

Old 08-04-2013 | 01:13 PM

Just a small heads up:
My F-Type was in the dealer for installation of the battery conditioner harness, I asked about the service bulletin for the suspension knocking. It's in the system but parts are back-ordered (maybe not even available yet).

Last edited by tai4de2; 08-04-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-04-2013 | 08:16 PM
|
Default Thunk and center console glove box fixed

The dealer (British Motors) has now fixed a number of cars, mine being one of them. The thunk is gone and he still has two kits for the fix in stock (or did when my car was in). I also had the weird center console glove bin problem where the damn thing popped open when you locked car. He advised that factory fix was crap and instead replaced the locking mechanism and the problem is gone.

Be aware if you take a rock in the windshield it is $1,500, right now only the dealers have the glass.

Finally replacing the side scoops are a bitch, changed my chrome ones to black (for some reason the black kit I had on the car didn't include the grill or the side vents, I can live with the grill).