Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F Type Lightweight Please

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 09:06 AM
YRS
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
Default F Type Lightweight Please

So...why no real F Type "Lightweight"? While I appreciate the idea behind the Project 7's; they're wonderful machines, they seem to more on the order of retro/glamour/concepts than out and out performance monsters. How about something more on the order of Porsche's GT3? Frankly, engine output is fine at 575, but perhaps a small 25 hp bump to make a round number. But focus really on reducing weight, enhancing handling, and maximizing track performance...I can't believe Jaguar's come close to exploring the real limits of the platform. Carbon fiber to the maximum extent...essentially the entire front end and roof, seat shells, interior bits, lean down the comfort-oriented accoutrements (the CF brakes and roof are already available)...etc. Again, more in the spirit of the original E Type Lightweights. Will certainly be outside my price range, but I just think Jaguar needs to bring some attention to the F Type. And please, keep it a Coupe...for all the right reasons; heritage, rigidity, safety, and just because it's more beautiful (no offense meant to the Roadster brothers and sisters). Seems Jaguar could do this right, garner some pundit's love, and even make some profit on the exercise.

Old 12-27-2020, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

I think we're lucky to have the F-type period and should be counting our lucky stars that it exists at all. The f-type doesn't sell. Everything you mentioned would cost a tremendous amount of money to R&D, and Jaguar just isn't going to invest that kinda money into something that only sells 2000 units a year in the US. Hell, they did away with the SVR entirely, probably because it wasn't profitable enough.

The following 3 users liked this post by Stohlen:
Carbuff2 (12-28-2020), Mahjik (12-27-2020), scm (12-27-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 11:30 AM
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
I think we're lucky to have the F-type period and should be counting our lucky stars that it exists at all. The f-type doesn't sell. Everything you mentioned would cost a tremendous amount of money to R&D, and Jaguar just isn't going to invest that kinda money into something that only sells 2000 units a year in the US. Hell, they did away with the SVR entirely, probably because it wasn't profitable enough.
I would tend to agree with this. You are better off going the weight reduction road yourself if you're sold on the idea (replacing the enormously heavy heated leather seats with lightweight buckets is probably worth a couple hundred pounds by itself).

Old 12-27-2020, 12:59 PM
YRS

Well, no argument on being fortunate that the F Type is in production given the US' truck and SUV fixation and the European market's tax/restrictions on performance cars... just musing out loud.

Old 12-27-2020, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

You can thank Ralph Nader for the mobile boat anchors. Eliminating 18 airbags and multiple crush zones, could cut a thousand pounds of weight. I, for one, have never needed any of that (nor have them on half my cars), and think it’s a glorious waste of weight and money.

The following 3 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Mbourne (12-27-2020), scm (12-27-2020), Sparky H (12-27-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 06:16 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
You can thank Ralph Nader for the mobile boat anchors. Eliminating 18 airbags and multiple crush zones, .....
It's all part of the policy of letting anyone drive, regardless of aptitude or skill. Autonomous vehicles, self parking, etc. are merely continuing the trend. I wonder why there are so many "accidents".

Old 12-27-2020, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
It's all part of the policy of letting anyone drive, regardless of aptitude or skill. Autonomous vehicles, self parking, etc. are merely continuing the trend. I wonder why there are so many "accidents".
I don't wonder, it's obvious to me that the Nanny State and anti-car "green" politics have been dumbing down drivers since around 1973 (when we had a "speed kills" supercar scare here in Oz).
The standard of drivers I see now is absolutely woeful, many of them struggle to keep the car within their lane on a dead straight road, throw in a few curves or bends and forget it!

The following users liked this post:
Paul Fisher (12-31-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

I first lamented the lack of a successor to the Lightweight shortly after I put a few tanks of fuel though mine. There's no doubt that the cars today are safer than ever before, but at a cost (money and weight). I'd like an F-Type that drops the GT gear and goes properly sports. The 400 Sport pretended to do that. It was a little more sporting, but still a GT.

I knew what I was getting when I bought but a more pared down choice would have been welcome, although it would have sold in even smaller numbers that the manual transmissions did.

Old 12-27-2020, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 889 Posts

Well I suppose that if they saved the life of someone I know (and didnt hate), I'd put up with the consequences. And I think we all know someone who has walked away from a serious incident unscathed.

But Oz, about the straight roads my understanding is that in Oz we have bends put in roads to keep drivers engaged and awake (contrary to the Eyre Highway which you might have gone along - 150km without a bend!). This comment put me to googling some facts about the US interstate system (to see whether what was said about them in Jack Reacher novels is true) and it is quite fascinating.

Old 12-27-2020, 07:54 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
This comment put me to googling some facts about the US interstate system (to see whether what was said about them in Jack Reacher novels is true) and it is quite fascinating.
Well, I recall there are straight sections every so often without overpasses, to allow strategic bombers to land in case the Air Force bases get blasted. And it’s named for Eisenhower. The uniform signage is helpful, especially for those of us with limited reading comprehension.

Old 12-27-2020, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Well I suppose that if they saved the life of someone I know (and didnt hate), I'd put up with the consequences. And I think we all know someone who has walked away from a serious incident unscathed.

But Oz, about the straight roads my understanding is that in Oz we have bends put in roads to keep drivers engaged and awake (contrary to the Eyre Highway which you might have gone along - 150km without a bend!). This comment put me to googling some facts about the US interstate system (to see whether what was said about them in Jack Reacher novels is true) and it is quite fascinating.
Yep, I drove from Adelaide to Perth and back in 2001 (around 5,000 km in total), including the "90 miles no bend" stretch of the Nullarbor Plain. Where I decided to test out the top speed of my car seeing as I could see for at least 3 or 4 km ahead. It was a lowly "family" car but I got it to 225 km/h indicated, 215 km/h real.

The following users liked this post:
BruceTheQuail (12-28-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 08:39 PM
EdG
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It seems to me F Type not designed to be a light weight hard core sports car. It is designed to be a grand touring sports car. You could go light with wheels, rotors, battery, seats, remove mobile vents, and sound deadening but what are we talking about, maybe 500 lbs. That will get the R to 3500 lbs. You will still have ZF gear box. Great gear box for road but not as fast as dual clutch. I think Jag did the math and even if they tried to make the R as hard core as possible, it still wouldn't touch a GT2s, would sell a handful, making development costs unreasonable.

People buy GT2s so they can sell them, not drive them. Think I am wrong? Look at the milage of GT2s on sale. Porsche can pull off the grand touring or hard core sports car all under the same 911 model, but is there another car that can do it? I can't think of one. Sport cars along with sedans are dying in US market. Porsche would be dead if it weren't for SUVs. Hopefully, Jag will start selling more SUVs so they can keep developing the F type or whatever is next.

In addition, there will only be electric cars in a decade so F Type will be super light weight in comparison to our future.

Old 12-27-2020, 08:59 PM
Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

I have heard these arguments before. On the Viper Owners Association, near the end, there were plenty of comments of "At least we have the car......". This was right before they axed the whole shebang. Car companies are in it to sell autos......period. Despite having an icon of an automobile, they just don't care. Having a light weight version makes sense, as it will not be super expensive to produce. This whole Covid thing, however, is making everything very difficult. Would hate to be an Engineer at Jaguar Land Rover.......Their capital budgets must be poor and not much work.

Old 12-28-2020, 04:03 AM
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Probably the only manufacturer focusing somewhat on weight right now is Porsche. That's why you can get a 911 that weighs 3200lbs. Not exactly light but a significant step. For everyone else, what's the point? There's no profit in lightness.

Old 12-28-2020, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
You can thank Ralph Nader for the mobile boat anchors. Eliminating 18 airbags and multiple crush zones, could cut a thousand pounds of weight. I, for one, have never needed any of that (nor have them on half my cars), and think it’s a glorious waste of weight and money.
I categorically disagree with you. At least in the current stage of my life, where others still depend on me.

Airbags and crush zones make cars undeniably safer, so when drunk driver runs the red light and plows into your car, you stand a chance of walking away.

You don't even have to look into distant past to see where these made tons of difference - offset crash tests:

Old 12-28-2020, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

When shopping for a new car, I always check IIHS scores. The same reason I take roll cage in my track cars seriously.

Even if you are a good driver, you don't always control all the circumstances.

The following 3 users liked this post by SinF:
Paul_59 (12-28-2020), scm (12-28-2020), WayneB (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 12:57 PM
YRS

Wow, didn't expect to go there. Not a big Nader fan, but old enough to remember how truly bad older cars were with respect to safety; and leaving the Corvair out of it...a fine machine he sacrificed to the gods of "look at me". My second car, was a 74 Bonnevile, and the only "safety" stuff on it was a padded dash and headrests...and that bad boy was truly a boat anchor. I applaud airbags, ABS, side intrusion beams, three point belts, and the like. I've no issues with most safety gizmos but also believe active safety is crucial too.

Old 12-28-2020, 01:42 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

As far as extra weight, try to count the number of electric motors/actuators in the:
1. Power seats
2. Steering column
3. Mirrors
4. Spoiler
5. Active exhaust vacuum pump (first 2 model years)
6. Center vent
7. Electric parking brake
8. Coupe: powered lift gate, soft close?

I suppose the one in the CD player doesn’t weigh much...

Last edited by DJS; 12-28-2020 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-28-2020, 01:54 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
As far as extra weight, try to count the number of electric motors/actuators in the:

4. Spoiler
Another win for my fixed rear spioiler.
Though I suspect the spoiler weighs about as much as the motors it doesn't need ...

Old 12-28-2020, 02:12 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scm
Another win for my fixed rear spioiler.
Though I suspect the spoiler weighs about as much as the motors it doesn't need ...
I added #8 just for you.

Quick Reply: F Type Lightweight Please