Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An f-type that lost its soul - exhaust note problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
I don't have nearly as high of an opinion of VAP as the rest of this forum and it has nothing to do with actual tune they offer. If I were to tune, which is unlikely, it would be by another vendor.
Your reasoning for this thinking would be greatly appreciated and perhaps helpful for others considering a tune.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:38 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

My experience with my V8S - K309 muted the exhaust, lost all pops and crackles. K309v2 restored full soundtrack.

Took car in for service last year and they updated the software to the latest versions. Lost all pops and crackles and exhaust sounded muted again. Wasn't able to get them restored this time. Have since sold the car.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:06 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

I had K309b (possibly the same as K309v2) done, which left all the sound effects in place.

Old 05-24-2019, 06:39 PM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
T. It also always reverts Dymanic mode to off after an ignition cycle (no 6 hour retention).
I brought MY18 F-type in for a leather seat issue but had them fix the spoiler (which would intermittently just stay deployed). Turned out to be an issue with the software of the "Chassis Control Module". No clue what that is, but when I got the car back it now has this same phenomenon where the Dynamic mode is reset after every ignition vs the previous 6 hour retention. I'm also thinking it's not popping as much. Would the paperwork say that they upgraded the O2 sensor? Mine says:

Read and Clear Fault Codes (the error code was CHCM U2011-71)
Diagnostic Allowance
Configure Existing Powertrain control module
Software download Chassis Control Module

Below this the verbiage says the CHCM and PCM software was updated.

I gotta get my pops/crackles back

Old 05-24-2019, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,259 Likes on 2,405 Posts

Originally Posted by bb_sam
I brought MY18 F-type in for a leather seat issue but had them fix the spoiler (which would intermittently just stay deployed). Turned out to be an issue with the software of the "Chassis Control Module". No clue what that is, but when I got the car back it now has this same phenomenon where the Dynamic mode is reset after every ignition vs the previous 6 hour retention. I'm also thinking it's not popping as much. Would the paperwork say that they upgraded the O2 sensor? Mine says:

Diagnostic Allowance

Yep, the lines "Configure Existing Powertrain control module" and "PCM software updated" are the giveaways as to how/why you lost your pops and crackles,
Those pops and crackles are caused by the PCM software telling the injectors to squirt some fuel in on the exhaust stroke which then ignites in the exhaust pipes.
Very naughty now under CAFE/emissions/noise regs so it's been neutered.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member

I used to get paranoid whenever I took the car in for the annual service, always warning them not to apply updates. Not so finicky anymore. I really don’t care what they do to the OEM tune anymore. I always make certain that’s in the car whenever they have it just in case they go wild with the SDD.

Old 05-25-2019, 02:33 AM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Why should the car not pop anymore due to regulations when others still do? Yes, because of the new particulate filters in Europe all the new cars, even Ferraris or Lambos, don't sound as good and extreme as before but they are still pretty loud and do pops and crackles, although they are a little bit muted. The same applies for a C63 AMG, it's still really rad and was only castrated a little bit, not as much as on the F-Type V8 which seems to nearly has lost all its pops and crackles?

Old 05-25-2019, 06:24 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Mine still pops and crackles as loudly as before, so maybe it's a region specific thing?

Old 05-25-2019, 11:25 AM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I used to get paranoid whenever I took the car in for the annual service, always warning them not to apply updates. Not so finicky anymore. I really don’t care what they do to the OEM tune anymore. I always make certain that’s in the car whenever they have it just in case they go wild with the SDD.
I have a Canadian 2015 V8 S that has lost it's crackles and pops. I am not really interested in more power; however, if there is a power bump then I will 'reluctantly' accept it.... The warranty is done and I was thinking of getting a tune to return the pops and crackles. Any suggestions?

Old 05-25-2019, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by enfield
I have a Canadian 2015 V8 S that has lost it's crackles and pops. I am not really interested in more power; however, if there is a power bump then I will 'reluctantly' accept it.... The warranty is done and I was thinking of getting a tune to return the pops and crackles. Any suggestions?
The VAP tune has all of the fireworks you would ever want.

Old 05-25-2019, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The VAP tune has all of the fireworks you would ever want.
Would you say the VAP tune has more fireworks than the stock tune did (before they killed it with the updates)? Also, does the tune keep the concepts of the various modes: regular, snow, dynamic? And does it allow for the default ignition start to be dynamic mode?

Old 05-26-2019, 03:44 AM
Veteran Member

Would you say the VAP tune has more fireworks than the stock tune did (before they killed it with the updates)? Also, does the tune keep the concepts of the various modes: regular, snow, dynamic? And does it allow for the default ignition start to be dynamic mode?
The VAP tune added more fireworks. All DSL modes remain available. The last set of tunes they sent me included:
1. OEM tune
2. most recently dyno 'd tune (early version)
3. updated tune, all features left intact
4. updated tune, shift indicator disabled
5. updated tune, shift indicator and ECO stop/start disabled.
I am running tune 3 . The updated tune evened out the throttle response, making power application far more precise.

Last edited by Unhingd; 05-26-2019 at 03:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
bb_sam (05-26-2019), enfield (05-26-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 02:13 PM

Diagnostic Allowance

Ok -- so here's an update. I happened to be back at the dealership doing an (overpriced) oil change -- I mentioned the missing pops and crackles. The tech noted the following: "found rear left muffler control chamber vacuum hose disconnected. Refitted hose and checked open/close operation -- working fine". Just to further complicate matters they also found that I needed a "Powertrain Control Module update" ... again ??

I've only had the car back for a few hours, but it does sound better. I can actually force the pops/crackles like I was able to do before by laying off the accelerator -- a phenomenon I wasn't able to do before the "hose" was reconnected. So, it appears that they may have solve my problem. Wanted to share this with others -- not sure if they were the ones that disconnected the hose (by accident) the last time I was in -- but either way, happy to have the soul back in the car

The following users liked this post:
Mahjik (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

I was reading that the new AMG45 is a lot quieter than the old to comply with european noise emission requirements, and has lost the pops and crackles. Not sure that I am thrilled where that is headed, considering it is the Jag's party piece

Old 07-31-2019, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member

Ok -- so here's an update. I happened to be back at the dealership doing an (overpriced) oil change -- I mentioned the missing pops and crackles. The tech noted the following: "found rear left muffler control chamber vacuum hose disconnected. Refitted hose and checked open/close operation -- working fine". Just to further complicate matters they also found that I needed a "Powertrain Control Module update" ... again ??

I've only had the car back for a few hours, but it does sound better. I can actually force the pops/crackles like I was able to do before by laying off the accelerator -- a phenomenon I wasn't able to do before the "hose" was reconnected. So, it appears that they may have solve my problem. Wanted to share this with others -- not sure if they were the ones that disconnected the hose (by accident) the last time I was in -- but either way, happy to have the soul back in the car
Odd. A disconnected vacuum hose should leave the muffler valves wide open, not hold them closed.