F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

f type or maserai gt

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 09:13 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default f type or maserai gt

So I made a previous thread talking about the bmw i8 vs f type, but now I'd like to get some opinions on the maserati gt. The one I configured on their website was about 132-134K. Hopefully the link below works for my build. I think it sends you to a default build but I used grigio body with black wheels, red interior leather. I figure I can negotiate that down about 7-8K at best. Still higher than the f type R but not by a whole lot. Haven't test driven the maserati. Which would you prefer the f type or maserati? I think both look pretty damn nice. I was trying to wait until the alfieri came out but who knows when that will be.

Maserati Car configurator

Old 12-11-2016, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Maserati - 1) more snob appeal - just saying you drive a Maserati sounds cool, 2) nicer interior (and four seats if you need them), 3) more exclusive/exotic.

Jag - 1) Nicer exterior looks, 2) prob easier/less costly to maintain, 3) able to park it in most places with vandalism worries, 4) more fun to drive all around, 5) nicer sound.

Other factor - do you have an excellent local dealer for either or both cars. Depreciation looks to be about the same.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 12-11-2016 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Maserati - 1) more snob appeal - just saying you drive a Maserati sounds cool,
It's more fun ton say:" I drive a JAAAAG !!" lol

Old 12-12-2016, 12:02 AM
Veteran Member

I guess a lot of the snob appeal went out the door with that awful bi-turbo 80s car - forget the name, but Ted Nugent seemed impressed.

Now what you gotta do, I'll tell you what you gotta do
You got to pretend your face is a Maserati
It's a Maserati
It's a Maserati
It's a gettin' hotty
It's a Maserati, Maserati, Maserati
It's a fast one too man, that thing's turbocharged
You feel like a little fuel injection honey?
I'll tell ya about it, I'll tell you about it
I'll check out the hood scoop
I gotta get that hood scoop off, shine and shine and buff
I gotta buff it up, buff it up, buff it up, buff it up, buff it up,
Yeah, shiny now baby, heh heh heh
You've been drivin' all night long
It's time to put the old Maserati away
So you look for a garage, you think you see a garage
Wait a minute, Hey!, there's one up ahead
And the damn thing's open
Hello! Get in there!

Old 12-12-2016, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Jag - 5) nicer sound.
I disagree on this point. Of all the cars I have driven in the last five years, the Maserati Gran Turismo sounds the best.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:01 AM
Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I disagree on this point. Of all the cars I have driven in the last five years, the Maserati Gran Turismo sounds the best.
I agree, I like the sound of the GT over the F-Type.

Here are a few sound battles.

The following 2 users liked this post by F12guy:
Burt Gummer (12-12-2016), MaximA (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 10:54 AM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

I agree, I think the Maserati won the exhaust sound war. The F-Type sound is still pretty amazing, but it just lacks some bass and on the raspy side.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:11 AM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

The Maserati is a huge car, kind of apples and oranges. If you don't need the back seat, get the F type.

The Maserati sounds great, very refined, very European. The Jaguar sound menacing and brutal. In this case I prefer menacing brutal over refined.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Agreed; a bit apples and oranges to me.

short version; The Maserati is more exotic, the F type looks better and is faster.

Dave

F12guy (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 11:57 AM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalJagS
The Maserati is a huge car, kind of apples and oranges. If you don't need the back seat, get the F type.

The Maserati sounds great, very refined, very European. The Jaguar sound menacing and brutal. In this case I prefer menacing brutal over refined.
+1 I'd give the win to the f type, but just barely. The gt sounds glorious.

Another consideration for op... If you're in the US, the gt can be purchased at a great discount. Take a look at their official nation wide lease offer on their website. They are basically assuming the sale price is 15% off msrp. Honestly, I don't remember the exact number, but it's pretty big. Buy one off the lot, and you should be able to get 20k off.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

I stand corrected on the sound. That Maserati sounds amazing. If it is an active exhaust is a winner.

Yes it is a 2 seat vs 4 seat equation. I prefer 2 - less opportunity for leaches looking a ride. If I wanted a big 4-seater it would be a Hellcat Challenger.

The Ferrari/Maserati dealer here requires you to take a second mortgage out for an oil change. The F-type is about as far as I'd go with disposable income. I have no LT debt - old school that way.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 12-12-2016 at 12:43 PM.
F12guy (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

You won't hear the Maserati when its 4 car lengths behind you. It's a nice car and I see 5 a day here in Miami. I see maybe one F-Type, beside the Maserati is Ferrari engine, how can you beat it.

I think some aftermarket exhausts I've heard here sound better than the Maserati.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

The Jag could use a little more low end on the acceleration, but I'm sure Velocity AP has a fix for that problem.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:22 PM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by MaximA
You won't hear the Maserati when its 4 car lengths behind you. It's a nice car and I see 5 a day here in Miami. I see maybe one F-Type, beside the Maserati is Ferrari engine, how can you beat it.

I think some aftermarket exhausts I've heard here sound better than the Maserati.
Same here, I see many more Maserati's on the street, but then they have been around much longer. These clips aren't the best either. I've heard the R with stock exhaust sound much better than in these clips, I chalk it up to the driver of the Jaguar.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Maserati well develpoed and still looks good. No modern tech. Service on Maser is high, most delaers are Ferrari also. We have Ghibli that cost less than my F Type, has a twin turbo 3.0 V6 yet dealer service is twice that of Jag! I would buy a used GT or GTS, '13 are about 50% of new and '14 about 60% and plenty of low mileage in the west!

Old 12-13-2016, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Unfair comparison. Match the V6 up to the GT. The Jag will sound more resonant. The V8 is just too raspy to win a singing contest.

F12guy (12-13-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 01:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have owned both. I had a 2013 Maserati GT Sport and now a 2016 F Type S AWD. The sound of the Maserati was incredible but the car felt MUCH bigger and heavier than the F Type. The infotainment system on the Maserati was a complete joke and something out of the mid 90's. While Maserati may have improved their reliability my GT and later my Ghibli had many issues which left me stranded several times (battery and electronic issues to name a few). The F Type to me is the clear winner as far as handling and I only have the S as I need the AWD for winter driving and not the R.

Burt Gummer (12-13-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

I've mentioned before.... sometimes brands target other countries because of what they've become in their home country. My wife is 1st gen US Sicilian, and any time we talk cars with her old world family, mention of Maserati's immediately lead to laughs.

The car is for slimeball pimps, over there. This is anecdotal, but I'm not too keen on that image. LOL I cannot get that idea out of my head. It matches the mid 80's popped collar coked up Lawyer that drove 911's in the day.

I got so much flack for asking what the Jag F-Type image was, and we found out after a bit of character assasination and ad hominem that there is literally zero demographic (I think ages were 20 - 82 or so??) for the F-Type, and there aren't enough of us to have created a negative image.

Take the better car with a less negative image. =)

Old 12-15-2016, 12:16 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I like the f type exhaust sound better actually. The GT sounds more high pitched and whiny. I do have a dealer of both close to me so that shouldn't be a problem. I would definitely lease the car for 3 years, like I am doing currently for the f type. The service price discussion above is discouraging but maybe they do something like jag and include free service for all 3 years of the lease. I can't see the service being that much more than the jag anyway.. Oil change for the f type is maybe $170 with filter change and labor.

The slimeball italian image just isn't here in the US, at least from what i've seen. I've seen more f types than maseratis where I live, which is wealthy suburbs. The maserati wins in rarity for me so far, which is highly desirable, as it makes life more interesting. The 4 seater is great too, not just for extra passengers but for basic stuff you pick up from routine errands and so forth. I'll have to test drive it when the weather gets warmer and then decide.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:30 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

The test drive is the key. I drove both before deciding on the F-Type and it wasn't close. The GT is a beautiful car (as is the F-Type), but it felt big and heavy. I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I was hoping.

Burt Gummer (12-15-2016)