F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

f type or maserai gt

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 01:45 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
for the F-Type, and there aren't enough of us to have created a negative image - yet.
Fixed the sentence for you.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dogbreath!:
DJS (12-15-2016), Uncle Fishbits (12-16-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by myironlung
The service price discussion above is discouraging but maybe they do something like jag and include free service for all 3 years of the lease. I can't see the service being that much more than the jag anyway.. .
I find the cost of Jag repair parts to be remarkably inexpensive compared even to my MINI Cooper.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

The Maserati GT is more akin to an XKR rather than an F-type, more GT less sports. Great exhaust sound, nice interior, terrible service records as with most Maseratis. XKR and F-type R will easily outperform the Maserati.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
Fixed the sentence for you.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:58 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

whats the deal with the shotty maserati service records? does their stuff just break easy? how can they be such a high end car with those issues? Mo' complex engine mo' problems? Is it comparable to the old jaguar unreliability stereotype?

Old 12-16-2016, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
The Maserati GT is more akin to an XKR rather than an F-type, more GT less sports. Great exhaust sound, nice interior, terrible service records as with most Maseratis. XKR and F-type R will easily outperform the Maserati.
I consider the F-Type to be more GT than sports as it is, but I do not always find myself in the majority opinion.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

lizzardo,
I was more or less referring to the 2+2 configuration, plus the size and wheelbase. The Gran Turismo is a big car, even bigger than the XK/XKR. Its contemporaries would be something like the Mercedes S-class 2 door or the 6 series BMW 2 door since the XK series is now extinct.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:37 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by F12guy
I agree, I like the sound of the GT over the F-Type.

Here are a few sound battles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgIec_GY3Cw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isxADhpFGbc
Those aqua shorts and flipped up collar tho

Old 12-17-2016, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
lizzardo,
I was more or less referring to the 2+2 configuration, plus the size and wheelbase. The Gran Turismo is a big car, even bigger than the XK/XKR. Its contemporaries would be something like the Mercedes S-class 2 door or the 6 series BMW 2 door since the XK series is now extinct.
I see the basis of your statement. Mine was based on the facts that the F-Type is not exactly compact itself, and tends towards the luxury side rather than the spartan. I knew this going in, and in daily driving can appreciate it. When I finally get it to the track though, I don't know that I'll be thinking about my suedecloth upper environment, panoramic roof, infotainment, or those enormously heavy multi-adjustable seats. I'll be wishing for higher spring rates with damping to match, and 600 pounds less weight.

The following users liked this post:
tberg (12-18-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 12:41 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

One of the things I was concerned about was the increase in HP from my current f type base (340). Its RWD. If I go and upgrade to an R, I think I would do AWD. The increase in HP (550) is a little worrisome with fishtailing and losing traction. I understand some people like the unpredictability but I side more with safety here (relatively speaking of course). Anyone with an R notice the amount of slippage much more with the R than the base? Or with RWD vs AWD? Or is it marginal? Also, do you chew through tires more frequently with either? I would imagine more so with R.

Old 12-26-2016, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member

Lack of traction under power is far more an issue of restraint (or lack thereof) than of predictability. With all the models, it is quite easy to predict when it's going to cut loose and to correct accordingly. Easier to predict accurately with the PSSs than the P-Zeros.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:31 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits

The car is for slimeball pimps, over there. This is anecdotal, but I'm not too keen on that image. LOL I cannot get that idea out of my head. It matches the mid 80's popped collar coked up Lawyer that drove 911's in the day.
LOL YES! You should come down here where I live...they're everywhere and all the people driving it look slimey.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I Own both, a GT and an f Type R these are totally different cars in all regards and cant really be compared. reliability is a wash both have been great. Maserati is higher cost of ownership and insurance if not using special insurance. f type is way faster hands down, both of my cars have work done to them extensively. the GT sounds way more Ferrari exotic as it should. and the ftype is more raw. both draw the same crowd but who really cares about that to me personally its more of an annoyance. heres the bottom line

Maserati

great long distance trip car
smooth ride
roomy
exotic sound
handles better than you expect
amazing daily driver

Ftype
Raw
fast
handles on rails
cramped on 5 hour rides at 6'3

there is a reason I own both because I love both for their intended purpose. one is not better than the other just different and have their own character. personally I think the Maserati is more timeless and built with more love, the interior quality and finish is far better than the ftype, both cars in 20 years wont look their age. I personally love my Maserati because its character (it is not the best at anything I know that. many cars do better things for a lesser price).

compare the Maserati to a Bentley or s coupe

compare the f type to a Porsche or amg gt.

my honest opinion of the ftype. if a Shelby gt500 or 04 cobra mated with an aston martin you get the ftype, raw and classy lol.

The following 2 users liked this post by vinson581:
Mbourne (12-27-2016), SGT h0llywood (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 03:58 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by vinson581
I Own both, a GT and an f Type R these are totally different cars in all regards and cant really be compared. reliability is a wash both have been great. Maserati is higher cost of ownership and insurance if not using special insurance. f type is way faster hands down, both of my cars have work done to them extensively. the GT sounds way more Ferrari exotic as it should. and the ftype is more raw. both draw the same crowd but who really cares about that to me personally its more of an annoyance. heres the bottom line

Maserati

great long distance trip car
smooth ride
roomy
exotic sound
handles better than you expect
amazing daily driver

Ftype
Raw
fast
handles on rails
cramped on 5 hour rides at 6'3

there is a reason I own both because I love both for their intended purpose. one is not better than the other just different and have their own character. personally I think the Maserati is more timeless and built with more love, the interior quality and finish is far better than the ftype, both cars in 20 years wont look their age. I personally love my Maserati because its character (it is not the best at anything I know that. many cars do better things for a lesser price).

compare the Maserati to a Bentley or s coupe

compare the f type to a Porsche or amg gt.

my honest opinion of the ftype. if a Shelby gt500 or 04 cobra mated with an aston martin you get the ftype, raw and classy lol.
Awesome response!

Old 12-30-2016, 01:42 PM
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Ftypeisapos
Price out the Jag/Maserati, monthly payments, down payment, extra cost for gas, insurance, and then get a car a smart person buys, and every month -- look at the amount you saved and be proud.

Saving lives one post at a time.
Im curious? Why are you here on a jaguar car forum but bashing on a car you obviously don't own or care much for? I think everyone here understands the car is an expensive toy for entertainment. Yes it will deprecate, it's not an investment, it's expensive, and yes it's fun as h@$$ to drive. It's a car most of us love because it speaks to us. No one is expecting you to like it or tell us how much you don't like it. Most of us have made our purchases and are enjoying our cars. You should probably go else where like the pruis forum and show your love instead of trolling this forum.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:47 PM

I purchased a piece of crap F-Type for $100k in 2014 and now I'm here to save lives, one post at a time.
Maybe you should start a thread and tell us your story about why the F-Type left you with regret pain and sorrow? Then we can sympathize better.

The following users liked this post:
SoCalJagS (12-30-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 02:12 PM

Edit2: And the engine is the same pos V8 Jaguar's been making for decades. That's why it doesn't have a cool Ferrari (or even Maserati) exhaust sound. You're basically driving a 2000 XJ with the mufflers opened up.
I hate this car so much.

I think you mean since 2009, that's when the AJ133 was first introduced. I completely new engine block design and an evolution over the previous AJ engines.

Old 12-30-2016, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by zmoothg
Maybe you should start a thread and tell us your story about why the F-Type left you with regret pain and sorrow? Then we can sympathize better.
Don't encourage the guy. If you ignore him, maybe he'll go away. As you suggest, though, if he were to calmly explain his experience, others could draw value from the explanation. As it is, flaming just isn't welcomed on this forum. Twitter seems to be a better venue for that sort of thing.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member

Anything interesting happen here today?

Old 12-31-2016, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

For the same money why not get a used CPO Ferrari (with bumper-to-bumper warranty)? To me, Maserati is a 'poor man's Ferrari' and they're too many in my (predominantly Chinese) area.