Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type model comparison

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 01:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default F-Type model comparison

Hello,

I'm on the verge of getting an F-Type (slightly used '16 or '17) and am still trying to determine if I want the S or the R. Few things on either side I like, particularly the exhaust look on the S for a more exotic look, but power is certainly a consideration.

I couldn't find the spec comparison through all the threads I've read, surely I just missed it somewhere, but could someone compare the 0-60 and quarter mile timings on the following?

F-Fype S with a VAP tune and pulley upgrade
F-Type R stock
F-Type R with VAP tune and pulley upgrade

From all of your discussion it seems like VAP is the way to go for an upgrade.

Thanks!

Old 08-04-2019, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

If performance is your goal, the R will be the choice. However, that's not to say a S with a VAP pulley/tune will be that far behind. It will just be about at the top of what it will ever do (without some major changes) where as the R will still have room to grow.

IMO, the S, even in stock form, as enough power to get you into trouble at any time on public streets. I also agree with you on the exhaust look. That was my exact reason for buying my S. That being said, there has been at least one person who has done an exhaust conversion on their S to the R exhaust. There is nothing to say you couldn't go the other way (with some work).

The following users liked this post:
Chawumba (08-04-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mahjik
If performance is your goal, the R will be the choice. However, that's not to say a S with a VAP pulley/tune will be that far behind. It will just be about at the top of what it will ever do (without some major changes) where as the R will still have room to grow.
I have an R1 that feeds my speed fix, so it doesn't need to be the fastest thing on the road, just enough so I don't quickly get underwhelmed by it! Figure I might be able to judge that based on 0-60 and quarter mile experiences. Rented an S for a week on Turo, haven't driven the R yet, but will be test driving both this week to compare stock at least.

Old 08-04-2019, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Driving is a better way to compare and judge by your feelings. There is no question the R is going to "feel" better from an acceleration point of view. Why wouldn't it? It really just comes down to what you really want for a car. Me, the exhaust look was too important. I'm not racing people on public streets and I have a track car.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:21 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the V6S, it's plenty quick from a dead stop. I'm not racing anyone on city streets, although I typically get to the speed limit faster than anyone else. Where I really appreciate the torque is when I pull out to pass others. I don't understand why people tend to speed up when being passed. When I punch it down I can get from 30 mph to 60 or 100 fairly quickly, The F Type has a wide power band and continues to pull until you let up. I have had some who try to prevent me from passing them, ha, they don't stand a chance. But the real pleasure of these cars is the handling, the twisty bits is what puts that grin on your face!

Old 08-05-2019, 08:52 AM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't have data on tuned cars, but stock R 0-60 is 3.3 vs 4.2 for the S. Quarter mile is 11.7@122 vs 12.7@110. The difference widens as the speed goes up, as expected. 0-100 8.0 vs 10.3, 0-130 13.7 vs 19.2, and a big difference at 0-150 19.0 vs 32.2.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by LaCroix
I have an R1 that feeds my speed fix, so it doesn't need to be the fastest thing on the road, just enough so I don't quickly get underwhelmed by it! Figure I might be able to judge that based on 0-60 and quarter mile experiences. Rented an S for a week on Turo, haven't driven the R yet, but will be test driving both this week to compare stock at least.
I don't know. Being a liter bike rider myself, I think there's a need for power in the blood.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by eeeeek
I don't know. Being a liter bike rider myself, I think there's a need for power in the blood.
If power is your thing, a liter is kinda puny. Try six.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I'm on the verge of getting an F-Type (slightly used '16 or '17) and am still trying to determine if I want the S or the R. Few things on either side I like, particularly the exhaust look on the S for a more exotic look, but power is certainly a consideration.

I couldn't find the spec comparison through all the threads I've read, surely I just missed it somewhere, but could someone compare the 0-60 and quarter mile timings on the following?

F-Fype S with a VAP tune and pulley upgrade
F-Type R stock
F-Type R with VAP tune and pulley upgrade

From all of your discussion it seems like VAP is the way to go for an upgrade.

Thanks!
Life is good when you get to choose between those two trims! I personally own an S trim and I chose it because it was a manual transmission, the R trim doesn’t offer that transmission. The S has plenty of power and the exhaust sound is fantastic, but you don’t even the same violence has the V8 from the R trim.

if you are strictly looking for a beast, go for the R. I think the S is more than enough power for the price but they are both great choices!

Old 08-05-2019, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
That's not a motorcycle. It's a tractor.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:33 PM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
If we are looking for motorcycles with seriously large and powerful engines

How about this 8 litre V10 Viper powered bike ?

Old 08-05-2019, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahjik

IMO, the S, even in stock form, as enough power to get you into trouble at any time on public streets. I also agree with you on the exhaust look. That was my exact reason for buying my S. That being said, there has been at least one person who has done an exhaust conversion on their S to the R exhaust. There is nothing to say you couldn't go the other way (with some work).
Very well said, as is everything our esteemed colleague Mahjik writes. As opposed to whatever nut did the exhaust conversion on their “S” to an “R”. That guy’s got to be UNHINGD!

Old 08-05-2019, 05:13 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While the exhaust sound of a S is nice... nothing compares to the wicked SNARL of the V8 (R)! And... although I know the V8 adds some weight... I like the extra weight in the front combined with the AWD.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:52 PM

Quick report back, well... after test driving both I can confirm owning an R1 has indeed ruined me! Both felt slow. Well, not slow, but not fast. This is actually good because I think I'll enjoy either similarly since I'm not going for the fastest thing on the road straight line, especially after a pulley/tune, so I'll be going after an S. Will make sure to drop into other forums for aftermarket wheels, etc.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:53 PM

(other threads, not forums)

Old 08-07-2019, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Is this the R1 you own?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...er/1062856001/

or this one?

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/sin/r1

Old 08-07-2019, 06:23 PM

It's faster than it looks

Old 08-07-2019, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

It's faster than it looks