F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F Type Modules reprograming, reflashing VIN number on used Modules

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 08:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default F Type Modules reprograming, reflashing VIN number on used Modules

I am embarking on a mission to re-flash the VIN numbers on used modules. I have several modules to replace and do no want to purchase new ones when I can purchased good used ones for 1/2 to 1/3 the price of new. I have a pretty good understanding of eprom and electronics. Has anyone embarked down this road? And does any one have any knowledge on this? I will be figuring it out but prefer not to reinvent the wheel if not necessary. Also does anyone have a list of the modules that carry VIN numbers in them.

Old 02-28-2021, 01:22 PM
Received 298 Likes on 171 Posts

Hello citadeltics,

Please be aware that changing VIN numbers is a security issue that will raise a red flag for most forum users.
You are a junior member with three posts as of this response. Your public profile is a bit sparse.
My honest reaction to your request for information about changing VIN numbers is ... whoa! what is this guy up to?
Are you on the up and up?
Consider beefing up your public profile and provide more discussion about what you intend to do.
Are you currently working on a salvage vehicle? Flood? Why do you need to change VIN numbers on more than one module?
With respect to security related information, I think that you will find "Those who know don't tell and those that tell don't know".
Try being more forthcoming with your profile and project description and maybe we can get a conversation going.

I am currently studying CAN and microcontrollers with an eye toward adding features such as OEM Blind Spot Monitoring on a model where Jaguar did not.
Collaboration would be welcome.

Best regards.
Bill
Mechanicsville, VA

Last edited by Bill400; 02-28-2021 at 01:27 PM. Reason: additional info & spelling
Old 02-28-2021, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try being more forthcoming with your profile and project description and maybe we can get a conversation going.

Old 02-28-2021, 06:41 PM

I am just not wanting to pay Jaguar the high price when good working ones can be purchased that have a different VIN in the module. I have however figured out the solution to this and how to circumvent Jaguar forcing you to buy new modules when you need a module. Tonight will be my first test on if I can move a VIN (which I believe resides in a 32kb eeprom chip on the board) from my old damaged module to a new module with a different vehicles information on it and overwrite it. If this works it will also tell me how to solve your issue.

The project

I have original module that is bad, I have a used module that is good but has wrong vehicle information in it. I want it to match up to my original VIN and vehicle information. Was wondering if there is a way to replace the module information on the used module with the downloaded bin file from Jaguar. Jaguar says no I need new module, but I believe this is sales ruse to get me to purchase new modules from them at triple the price for used ones. I would think someone has already accomplished this.

Old 03-01-2021, 10:33 AM

<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->

192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1

Old 03-01-2021, 12:49 PM

Citadeltics,

Most folks reprogram modules using Jaguar's own SDD. I have reprogrammed modules on X-Types, XJs and XKs. The only module that I was unable to reprogram was an ECM for an X-Type. That is not to say that I have tried all modules but the ECM VIN change was a problem. I have since learned that there are work arounds using SDD.

So, tell us a little about your F-Type: Year, model, coupe or vert? history of the car. how did you acquire?
Which module(s) are you trying to reprogram? What resources (SDD, etc) are you using?
Tell us about you: electronics professional or hobbyist? What is your experience?

One other thought: This post was made under the F-Type forum. A better choice may have been the General help forum.

Best regards,
Bill

Last edited by Bill400; 03-01-2021 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:10 PM

I have a 2017 F type, I am trying to program most of the modules. I do have a VCI and SDD. I have a new BCM module but the old one still works. I have a new KVM, and my ECU also works. This car took water damage but is in perfect condition except with the fried modules.

I am a hobbyist but have in extensive electrical knowledge. Before I spend the time reverse engineer the modules which will take a extensive amount of time I was looking to see if there is a quicker way. I know the SDD software will program new modules but I not sure that it will reprogram modules. I have tried on the PBM but it didn't seem to work, so I de-soldered the EEPROM chip from my original and moved it over with mixed results. Before when the SDD did a VIN check it would find an incorrect VIN that it was pulling from the PBM. Now it find the correct VIN but doesn't see the PBM until I do a second scan with the SDD diagnostics. The PBM module will no does a series of clicks and then when it settles out it will read it. The reason that I don't give a bunch of information is because it is really irritating to have a post replies where people just give their two cents and not any useful information. I don't need to hear posts that say buy a new one from dealer or don't buy one with water damage, these are not constructive or helpful for what I am trying to do. So the chip that is used by most the modules in this car seems to be a Microchip brand and it does carry encryption, not sure if the encryption is used I haven't tried a raw read of the memory. It is also possible that I can just replace the memory chip at $1.65 each and have the car think it is a new module, when the current SDD runs it says it will check the VIN before overwriting and will not replace if it has one or some such wording.

The following users liked this post:
vettegood (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 01:56 PM

There is a hack for Ford ECMs where the power is removed from the module when initiating SDD then energizing (plugging in fuse) in time for the re-programming to occur.
This is documented on a u-tube video. It may work.
RE: flooded modules, are they actually fried or is there a thin film of dirt?
I've had limited success with warm water/spray wash and oven baking to dry. Yes, sounds crazy but ...

Old 03-01-2021, 02:36 PM

I saw that video, I think it will not work until I have the IPC module. I cleaned all them with a toothbrush and electronics cleaner. I took some apart and it seems they had broken foil runs. So I don't think the cleaning will work. I did work the circuit and found that there is one similarity to most the module. It is the eeprom chip. It seems to house all the information for the module for the VIN and build. If I can clear the eeprom then it will think it is a new module. this might also work for what you are doing. Then you can use sdd to load the vin of a car with the options you want and program the module to respond accordingly. I do not think you can edit the file because it might be encrypted. I have yet to pull the information so I cannot confirm the encryption.

Old 03-01-2021, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by citadeltcs
I have a 2017 F type, I am trying to program most of the modules. I do have a VCI and SDD. I have a new BCM module but the old one still works. I have a new KVM, and my ECU also works.
I know the SDD software will program new modules but I not sure that it will reprogram modules.
There shouldn't be any need to reflash the VIN to the PBM or BCM, The PBM will just work (with the correct vehicle software flashed to it) and you can use SDD to reflash the CCF data and software to the BCM. In both cases you just run the new module initialisation process from within SDD/Extras. (If you replace the BCM, scan the old one first in a new session and then close the session, disconnect the battery, replace the BCM, power back up and then resume the saved session. Make sure the BCM is not the primary vehicle information source - bottom of Extras tab)

The KVM/RFA can likely be reprogrammed on the pre 2016MY cars as I've fitted a used RFA to my X351 after the original failed and the modules are the same part. Post 2016 is different as the RFAs have a lot more write-once memory.

A VIN mismatch on the PBM wont stop it working, and wont even flag a DTC. If it wasn't working for you then either the software on it was wrong, or the module was wrong/broken. Have you checked the software versions are correct and tried reflashing them?

The software download process will report that it cannot update the VIN, but it will continue past it and you can just ignore the warning.

A search online shows others replacing the BCM with used successfully. It is a bit more involved because you need to make sure your vehicle configuration master is not set to the BCM before reflashing the software to it. You'll find more hits for this on the LR forums.

AFAIK the only module that supports relearning the VIN is the IMC, if fitted. In all other cases the firmware routine that learns the VIN for a new module is the same as that that runs on a used module that you put through the new module process, so the check to see if it is already set is done in firmware not via the programming tool.

It it likely you can erase this on a bench. There may well be a hidden routine that allows it to be reset over CAN or serial, but I don't know of one. I did have a brief look for one in the IPMB module firmware about a year ago but couldn't find one, but it was not an extensive analysis by any means.

Old 03-01-2021, 10:19 PM

I tried reprogramming the new BCM, it will only pull ?????????? For the VIN. When I run the SDD software. But it does give me a green check in the box when I do the diagnostics. Now if I put the old BCM in it finds the VIN correctly on the auto read on SDD. I am assuming this is because I had it set to master. Before when I had the used PBM installed it would pull a VIN from it when I did the auto read for vin on SDD. This only when away once I pulled the PBM.

Old 03-19-2021, 04:56 PM

Does anyone know what modules care about the vehicle VIN being accurate. I need to purchase several more to finish this project out and would like to know which I can buy used and which to buy new. The next one I will purchase will be the IPC.

Old 12-05-2022, 05:15 PM

VIN can be flashed in all modules. I had to find the correct chip and I removed it and was able to stand alone program the numbers into chips.

The following users liked this post:
ddisme (12-12-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by citadeltcs
VIN can be flashed in all modules. I had to find the correct chip and I removed it and was able to stand alone program the numbers into chips.
Congratulations! Is there a checksum? Please provide some detail (maybe photos?) of the process and software/tools required.

Thanks,
Bill

Old 03-25-2023, 12:41 AM
Default Used gwm

Hello everyone.
I am trying to to the same with a used GWM from eBay.

I have a used 2014 f type S convertible. 30k miles and an electrical nightmare after you used power inverter in the cigarette socket a few months ago.
adaptive dynamics fault , no stability control, charging system fault, etc low voltage programs started at that time. I replaced alternator but have same issues. Now I think I need Voltage regulator fixed. But in research I have a GWm and I have installed it but I’m scared to configure it as new bc I don’t want tot brick the car. Any advice on what’s next ?

it will not learn vin number

Old 03-25-2023, 07:00 AM

Remove the battery for stress testing. Reinstall original module. Replace battery if required.
If battery is OK, fully charge and reinstall. Fixed?
If not, attach a 55A+ battery maintainer and try SDD again.

Last edited by Bill400; 03-25-2023 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-27-2023, 10:37 AM

The GWM coordinates the communication between different buses. The car configuration is stored in 3 places. Online via VIN number the BCM Module and the GWM module. If you only replacing one of the 3 it should be fine. You wont brick anything. If it sees the gwm then you can flash it. How are you planning on flashing it, are you using SDD. You can go in the SDD and choose which module you want as primary configuratioin. Is the GWM new or is it a used one? To give better answers need a little more information. The modules that arent working seem to be from several different computers. When running any kind of diagnostics computer you need to make sure you have ample battery voltage. It will not like to program or work correctly in the 11 to 12.5 range. I dont think SDD will even work if its not above 12.5. Get a good battery charger that will allow your voltage to go to about 13. The one I use has a programing mode in it that takes it to 14.1. I currently have 2 f types and use both SDD and pathfinder, and have replaced every module in one of the cars since it was flood damage when I bought it and they were all fried.

Old 03-27-2023, 10:39 AM

I see in the post that you have a used GWM, so I will assume it is already programed. You wont be able to reprogram the flash without a lot of fancy footwork. but the car doesnt personally care which you have in there. It does however store the options for the car on it. You can tell the car to use the BCM as the primary and the GWM as the backup. if you run diagnostics it will let you know that you have a vin mismatch but I am not sure that will throw a engine light on dash or not.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am in the same boat as you citadeltcs.

2017 Base X152 with water damage. What modules should be replaced?

So far, I have removed the BCM/CJB, seat modules, GWM, rear fuse box, Quiescent Current Control Module, and power distribution box.

I bought used the BCM, Auxiliary junction box, GWM, QCCM, integrated suspension control module and power distribution box.

1) So, I originally thought it would be plug n play but was so wrong. I replaced the old components with the used ones and when I connected the battery the dash lit up normally then shut off after I did its full cycle. I thought it did that because the battery was low on charge but after charging the battery it would still do the same. The only things I would get after were the interior lights, Jaguar picture on the touch screen, a lit fan symbol on the fan dial, parking lights if turned on ,emergency lights and the trunk button would work.

2) I put back in the old modules/components and this time got nothing besides parking lights when switched on.

I then changed the original modules out once again and it did the same as #1 with the used ones.

The original modules even though they were water damaged I was able to clean them and found no damage besides some minor corrosion. They used to work intermittently when I first got the car and now it seems that the BCM is not working. I did switch out the used BCM and replaced it with the original BCM and it would do the same as #2.

During all this I never put in the seat modules.

Any ideas?

Old 04-04-2023, 08:37 PM

The BCM seat modules and PCM have a coating on them that efectivaly makes them water resistant. The rest will be bad if they got any water on them.
So the first thing we need to determine is do you have SDD and a VCI. This would let you do a diagnostics so you could seat what modules are working and which arent.
The power to the dash then off is sometimes caused by the PCM relay. But the first and most important is seeing which modules the SDD sees.. Also so you are aware the harness needs to be plugged into the seat for the BCM to work. The wiring runs through the seat connectors. remove the seats and you will have no power.

How much water damage did you have. Is it salt water or regular. Has this car running then the water damage and now you are trying to get it back running, or did you buy it not running.
Please keep in touch, I have went through this exact situation and not to sound arrogant will be your best resource for this. I have all the manuals and the wiring schematics and have been all over theses modules for 2 years now.

Quick Reply: F Type Modules reprograming, reflashing VIN number on used Modules