F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F Type Modules reprograming, reflashing VIN number on used Modules

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 10:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Q) So the first thing we need to determine is do you have SDD and a VCI.
A) No, I do not. Any recommendations on acquiring them?

“The power to the dash then off is sometimes caused by the PCM relay. But the first and most important is seeing which modules the SDD sees.”

A) Can the PCM relay be tested?

“Also so you are aware the harness needs to be plugged into the seat for the BCM to work. The wiring runs through the seat connectors. remove the seats and you will have no power.”
A) Thanks, this helps out

Q) How much water damage did you have.
A) The water on the interior went about 4 inches below the armrest. In the trunk it went about midway on the QCCM fuse box.

Q) Is it salt water or regular.
A) Salt water.

Q) Has this car running then the water damage and now you are trying to get it back running, or did
you buy it not running.
A) I bought it not running but I did not see any water in the engine oil, tranny or differential. I also removed the spark plugs and scoped the engine just in case and no water.

Thank you for helping me out and for the quick response, I really appreciate it. I'm sure I will be having quite a few questions as this progresses. From reading your other posts, You’re the Man on this type of damage!

Old 04-04-2023, 10:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are any of the modules or fuse box plug n play?

Old 04-05-2023, 11:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Q) So the first thing we need to determine is do you have SDD and a VCI.
A) No, I do not. Any recommendations on acquiring them?

A) SDD is easy to come by, the VCI programmer is what you will need to find. The cost for these are a couple hundred dollars. I have the jaguar original, you can search all over, and I have the second generation for the 2018 and newer since I have a 2017 f type and a 2020 f type. Keywords would be JLR VCI SDD.

“The power to the dash then off is sometimes caused by the PCM relay. But the first and most important is seeing which modules the SDD sees.”

A) Can the PCM relay be tested?

A) No this is inside the PCM, the one I am referencing, do you have the schematics. If not let me know we can figure something out as to getting you what you need, not familar enough with the rules on this forum to know what I can offer or cant offer.

“Also so you are aware the harness needs to be plugged into the seat for the BCM to work. The wiring runs through the seat connectors. remove the seats and you will have no power.”
A) Thanks, this helps out

Q) How much water damage did you have.
A) The water on the interior went about 4 inches below the armrest. In the trunk it went about midway on the QCCM fuse box.

A) This is actually good, how long did it sit in the water. The depth of this water means that you didn’t hit a majority of the electronics. Mine was to middle of windows so I had to replace tons of modules, wasn’t salt water though. Did it hit the drive side firewall fuse box, if so just remove it and clean it real well. It will be right about the height you are talking about. Also right behind it is the park assist module. On the passenger side you will have the bcm the gwm and the RFA/KVM, and Headlight module at that height. KVM sits a little higher so hopefully that is good because it controls your keys. In the trunk you going to have the quintecence and the Power distribution module. And of course the seat modules. Now the seat modules are tied to the VIN but they will still work even if you have incorrect one, and like I said before they have a coating on them to prevent water to a point.

I had similar symptoms as you when I played musical chairs between swapping BCM modules, only light would work and glove box. But after persistence I got everything working. You are going to need a voltmeter also and schematics to see where to test for voltage on wires. You are also going to probably need some seat motors or possible even lower half of the seats, if they aren’t currently moving back and forth then you will have a hard time getting the bolts out to remove them.

Q) Is it salt water or regular.
A) Salt water.

Q) Has this car running then the water damage and now you are trying to get it back running, or did
you buy it not running.
A) I bought it not running but I did not see any water in the engine oil, tranny or differential. I also removed the spark plugs and scoped the engine just in case and no water.

1. make sure you drain the fuel. If water got in the fuel and you try to start it, not only will it not run but it will flood the water that doesn’t ignite into the oil then you will have soupy oil. Make sure you change the oil also. The differential is easy to change but make sure you know what diff you have there are 3 different types. Standard which just takes gear oil and then LSD which takes gear oil with LSD. The third I cant remember off the top of my head but it takes BOT720 it is the best of the three, just make sure you know what diff you have. As for transmission fluild you can use any kind you prefer for the brand but remember to flush it out. I flushed mine about 10 times and it gets expensive. If you doing a complete transmission flush you have to buy a bottom cover, as the filter is built in. Back to draining the fuel, this is not super easy as it is blocked from syphoning and the fuel tank is behind the seats, the way I did it and only had ¼ tank in was to unscrew the ling on the passenger side of the front of the engine, I ran it into a tube and kept turning the car over for about 30 seconds at a time 3 times then let sit for 10 minutes, the fuel pump only would run when the car is running or attempting to start, and I limited my time to avoid overheating the starter. I know we aren’t there yet but just giving a heads up on the road ahead. Also you might be looking at replacing the starter since it sits pretty low and does it damaged if in flood. No worries here because you can buy a startedr used and it is cross compatible with all jaguar models so they are around 40 to 70 dollars all over ebay.
Lets figure a way for me to get you the docs you need, I will try to send you a PM.

Old 06-15-2023, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by citadeltcs
The GWM coordinates the communication between different buses. The car configuration is stored in 3 places. Online via VIN number the BCM Module and the GWM module. If you only replacing one of the 3 it should be fine. You wont brick anything. If it sees the gwm then you can flash it. How are you planning on flashing it, are you using SDD. You can go in the SDD and choose which module you want as primary configuratioin. Is the GWM new or is it a used one? To give better answers need a little more information. The modules that arent working seem to be from several different computers. When running any kind of diagnostics computer you need to make sure you have ample battery voltage. It will not like to program or work correctly in the 11 to 12.5 range. I dont think SDD will even work if its not above 12.5. Get a good battery charger that will allow your voltage to go to about 13. The one I use has a programing mode in it that takes it to 14.1. I currently have 2 f types and use both SDD and pathfinder, and have replaced every module in one of the cars since it was flood damage when I bought it and they were all fried.
I am impressed and contemplating doing the same with a flood f type. Do you have a list of all the modules you replaced? Which ones you had to buy new?

Old 06-15-2023, 11:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You dont have to buy any new. You just need to make sure that certain ones match. you need the dash, the kvm, the immobilizer and the ECU to match.
The best thing you can look for is someone parting out a car and buy them all in bulk, probably around 2k.
First thing you need to know is which ones you have that are bad. Depedning on the damage you might need seat motors also. You might need lumbar pumps also, and transmission servos.

Old 07-29-2023, 05:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello citadeltcs I made an account to see if you would be able to help. Basically, the situation is that I have a Jaguar xe 2017 the telecommunication module went bad part number t2h18589, the part is out of stock and no one knows when the part will be back in stock. My dealership tried to find the part, I contacted roughly 15 - 20 best dealerships in the USA to see if they had it, I also contacted dealerships in the UK and tried anything to find a new oem part. I could not but the dealership said we could try a used part but it might not work due to vin etching, tried the used part but the vin made it so the part would not work. I was wondering if I can pay you to rewrite the vin on the used module that I bought, or if you know anyone that provides that service, I emailed roughly 6 places so far but no one has gotten back to me I plan on calling when shops open Monday.

Old 07-30-2023, 10:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Looking For some help to a 2014 F type Convertible. Have tried a used convertible module with no luck. Sounds like the OP have the experience to help out.

Old 07-31-2023, 02:00 AM
Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by PotatoJunior
Hello citadeltcs I made an account to see if you would be able to help. Basically, the situation is that I have a Jaguar xe 2017 the telecommunication module went bad part number t2h18589, the part is out of stock and no one knows when the part will be back in stock. My dealership tried to find the part, I contacted roughly 15 - 20 best dealerships in the USA to see if they had it, I also contacted dealerships in the UK and tried anything to find a new oem part. I could not but the dealership said we could try a used part but it might not work due to vin etching, tried the used part but the vin made it so the part would not work. I was wondering if I can pay you to rewrite the vin on the used module that I bought, or if you know anyone that provides that service, I emailed roughly 6 places so far but no one has gotten back to me I plan on calling when shops open Monday.
Used modules with foreign VINs work fine. Your issue is a lack of professionals in The States who understand Jaguar Land Rover vehicles well enough.

Old 07-31-2023, 08:26 AM
Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Citadeltcs and Bill 400 I applaud you along with others. I just read this entire thread and was simply in awe of the way you have figured these electronic programs out. I'm an old guy who grew up with Muscle cars and figured things out mechanically and reading old schematics. I understand a little of what is going on as I have worked on computers and when I was out of school also repaired televisons. But this is a whole new level of what you're doing.( As long as you're keeping everything on the " Legal" end) Good luck and hang in there!!