F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type noise when driving slow (suspension?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 04:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default F-Type noise when driving slow (suspension?)

Hi All,

I'm a happy owner of a Jaguar F type 2016 with the 340HP engine. I have had the car for 4 months with just 15.000 miles on it and so far it has been flawless.

Today I drove the car in my garage and I noticed a strange sound. It felt like I was jumping on the bed and the springs of the bed were making a "scraping" noise. I could just hear this noise when I was driving really slow and when I tried to park the car. You don't hear this noise out of the garage , at least I tried to listen but didn't hear it.

I'm not sure where the noise comes from, the car has no issue at all when driving / doesn't pull and steers in a straight line. I've tried to look things up on the internet but could find a clear answer. I don't hear the noise when the windows are closed and the car doesn't act differently when driving.

Could anyone advise me of what this could be?

Old 09-18-2020, 05:13 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

When mine made a scraping noise when turning it turned out to be the Torx bolts holding the front offside brake shield in place unscrewing themselves and contacting the back of the disks. My indie retighened them and smoothed down the damaged area of the disk so everything worked properly (apart from a bit of extra wear on the pads, but he reckoned they'd be okay until they needed replacing). That was over a year ago and have had no ill effects so far.

Old 09-18-2020, 05:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scm
When mine made a scraping noise when turning it turned out to be the Torx bolts holding the front offside brake shield in place unscrewing themselves and contacting the back of the disks. My indie retighened them and smoothed down the damaged area of the disk so everything worked properly (apart from a bit of extra wear on the pads, but he reckoned they'd be okay until they needed replacing). That was over a year ago and have had no ill effects so far.

It is very strange as the noise I can only hear when driving very slowly. No need to turn the wheels whatsoever just in straight line. It could explain why my brakes are sometimes making a scraping noise? I visited the jlr dealer they told me they can't fix it all the cars have it... So I learned to live with that but this is a strange problem.

Old 09-18-2020, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

Mine made that noise when the service guys forgot to put the wheel nuts back on properly and it ended up that I lost one of the nuts and the wheel wouldnt have been far off following it. Drove for a few weeks like that, got progressively worse. Stuffed a bearing too.

The noise was a creak, like a dishwasher door opening or an old spring.

Last edited by BruceTheQuail; 09-18-2020 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by JagFtypev6
It is very strange as the noise I can only hear when driving very slowly. No need to turn the wheels whatsoever just in straight line. It could explain why my brakes are sometimes making a scraping noise? I visited the jlr dealer they told me they can't fix it all the cars have it... So I learned to live with that but this is a strange problem.
Could simply be a bent rotor shield.