F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F Type Not Selling

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 09:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default F Type Not Selling

New to this forum and have been considering buying an F Type. My concern is how many of these cars are piling up on dealer lots. I've been quote at invoice and in some cases below invoice on the V8 S. I love the looks of the car and how it drives but don't want to spend upwards of 100K on a car that will have little resale value. Leasing is an option I've considered as well.

Just wanted to get the thoughts of people here on what's going on and why the cars arent selling...

Thanks!
Eric

Old 10-31-2013, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

We have to see the sales numbers to tell. I was at my dealer Monday and they did have an extensive stock of mostly V8 F-types. When I asked a sales guy about ongoing sales volumes, he claimed that they were selling well.

On resale value, Jaguars as a whole tend to have fairly poor resale. If you are much concerned about that than you're better off waiting for someone else to take the initial new car depreciation hit and you will get a much better price purchasing a 1 - 2 year old model.

Albert

The following users liked this post:
cdmoorer (11-04-2013)
Old 10-31-2013, 10:14 AM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

It's a niche market for the car. Not quite a super car, not an everymans car either. It's a very targeted vehicle. Plus it's two door, two seater, limited room. So it's a want, not a need.

The one thing I think is that due to the fact they stripped them down and then require you to add all the options you want, it's a turn off to some people.

First one I test drove had a manual seat without rear view camera. I was like "WTF"... Yah. It's a race car. Yah. It's supposed to be to go fast, but add some options. My wife was in it for 1 second and almost backed into a concrete pylon. LOL

I think had they included a few more things, things that didn't cost them much to add, they would have had a few more buyers.

I get mine today. Vision. Premium. Performance. Meridian. Leather Pack. Climate Pack. Black Pack. Loaded. I can't wait. The one I test drove, same price, but had all cosmetic options (carbon fiber rims for one). I'd rather have gadgets and tech than a $10k 'looks' pacakge. I can add rims (which I am doing) on my own anyways.

The V8s aren't selling it would seem. I think the V6s are selling just fine. Mine was build 5000 something. So it's not like the Vette where you see tons of used cars online already and will ultimately see dozens on the road at any given time. I've only seem one other F-type in Tampa.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:02 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by pnd4pnd
New to this forum and have been considering buying an F Type. My concern is how many of these cars are piling up on dealer lots. ........... Eric
Welcome to the forum Eric,

I'll add that you are in California for the benefit of members in other parts of the World.

That's an interesting observation on sales on the West Coast. The F-Type was introduced later here in the UK but and my local dealer tells me they are sold out for the next six months but I agree with comments others have made that it is very much a niche market.

One thing that is almost certain. The new buyer will take a big hit on resale values as has happened with every other Jaguar model.

Graham

cdmoorer (11-04-2013)
Old 10-31-2013, 11:14 AM

Graham,

Thanks for the welcome. I appreciate the honesty here. To give a perspective, Southern California has over 90 F types on the lots in just the LA area alone! Dealers down there are getting very aggressive on pricing as I mentioned. What are the people buying here able to get with respect to invoice? Even with 6K off a new V8 S I fear the depreciation will be huge. I might be best to wait....but of course I'm not that patient

Eric

Old 10-31-2013, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

California (but especially Southern California) is the world's largest automobile market, including the largest market for Jaguars, BMW's, Mercedes, and most other marques, so why wouldn't you expect to see the largest inventory of any given model on dealer lots. I can assure you that you won't see 90 cars piled up in Puyallup, Washington, probably not a single one. No dealer, anywhere in the world orders cars they don't think they can sell, there is no profit in letting cars sit on a lot. Remember, this is a 2014 model that will remain unchanged through this time next year, so the inventory has quite some time to be sold. And as previously stated in an earlier post, this is a niche car that I believe is selling to Jaguar's expectations. Depreciation is just a fact of life with Jaguars (and many other luxury automobiles), so if that is a big issue because the car will only be held for a couple of years, it might be a wise idea (as previously suggested) to wait a little bit and buy a gently used car.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:16 PM

No point in speculating about what they 'might' be worth. That's with every car. TESLA. Tesla is the only car lately that has a high resale value and that is due to production #'s. If Jaguar sees the cars not selling, they will reduce their output, inventory will dry up. Supply and demand.

Every car in this price range takes HUGE hits... what do you expect? If you're looking for resale value. Buy Camry.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:24 PM

It's not as much about the depreciation as I do expect that. It's the surprise it's not a hotter car in higher demand. Inventory is increasing, not decreasing. I realize we are heading into winter which could be part of it but usually when a new car like this is introduced, there is a wait and a premium. Just surprised how much they are discounting so early.

Eric

Old 10-31-2013, 12:35 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

We're selling em off the lot well. Maybe your dealer was more optimistic or wanted a higher vollume discount so commited to more.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:00 PM

I have made a few trips to my dealer's service department since I bought the car in June. I have noticed that there are different F-Types in the showroom each time I go.

I asked the salesman a couple weeks ago how they were selling. He said they were selling real fast when they first came out, but sales have slowed down right now. When a salesman says that sales have slowed, it means that they have really slowed. Maybe it is the time of year.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:14 PM

I know saying anything negative on a forum about one particular car is like calling an Apple fanboy names...

...but I will only insist that this is a convertible. And verts do NOT sell well in the winter. I'm in Florida so it doesn't apply here, but for the rest of you guys in the cold. What fun is a convertible if it's snowing.

Besides. The coupe comes out in April anyways and it is one smoking car. Definitely trading for one!

Old 11-01-2013, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

Jaguar has historically always been a "super value" for a 2 or 3 years old model due to it's extremely steep depreciation. I too am intrigued with the F Type Coupe, but also find that a 3 or 4 year old XK at about 50% of it's original MSRP seems financially like the better value for me at this time. In addition, it's also helpful for a new model to get some kinks resolved after being released for a few years.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:26 AM

How on Earth can you comparean XF or XK to a new Ftype?

The are so dissimilar it is like comparing The Patriots to the Gators. Or like saying, the 1968 Patriots to the 2008 Championship Gators. Of course you'd favor the Gators in this instance against an old team.

I take delivery today... so I am going to be playfully defensive throughout the day! ;-) :-)

Old 11-02-2013, 05:53 PM
cjp
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by pnd4pnd
It's not as much about the depreciation as I do expect that. It's the surprise it's not a hotter car in higher demand. Inventory is increasing, not decreasing. I realize we are heading into winter which could be part of it but usually when a new car like this is introduced, there is a wait and a premium. Just surprised how much they are discounting so early.

Eric
Hi Eric,
My F-Type was a purely emotional purchase, not rational. I haven't "wanted" a car like this since I heard my first Triumph V8 start up and rumble away as a kid of twelve. I had to wait thirty years to own that Triumph, but I got it in the end, and still have it. To heck with "need"!

No way was I waiting thirty years this time around for it to be affordable! To heck with "no car payment"!

However much I love the F-Type; the look, and the sound, and the handling, and the equipment, and the comfort, for this kind of money, I wanted it built my way, not specced by the forecasters or sales folks. So, nothing on the lot matched: I passed on them all, and had one built and shipped. To heck with "planned inventory"!

You should know that it did show up faster than I was promised, which may also indicate that supply is exceeding demand. To heck with "economics"!

I am like a dog with two tails every time I drive the F-Type or the Triumph. To heck with the "cost"!

I'm not planning on selling either. To heck with the "Market"!

Cheers,

Chris

The following 2 users liked this post by cjp:
alvaro1728 (11-19-2013), scm (12-22-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 05:43 PM
Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

i've had my 2012 XF for about a year now and love it. i've driven the V8 FType and THAT is the most amazing thing ever. 100k is pretty steep though. i like the idea of getting the kinks worked out in subsequent years as well so the plan is to buy a gently used 2015-16 V8 FType coupe in about 2017. the kinks will be worked out, someone else will have taken the initial depreciation hit and it will be a coupe (i think road & track called it "sex on wheels", i agree).

not a bad "plan B" for us non-trust fund types, right?

Old 11-04-2013, 07:09 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

There are a lot of F-Types on the lot at the Jaguar dealer I use in the Atlanta area. I have no idea of what they are willing to cut-off the list price. I'm not really into convertibles anymore so I'm waiting to see the coupe version. I don't buy first year models anyway regardless of brand. Comparing the Porsche Boxter/Cayman, 911 I would still rather have the F-Type. One thing that really turns me off though is the BMW and Porsche way of having to add a ton of expensive options to get the car the way you want it and now Jaguar is doing it with the F-Type. That was the best thing about my XK - getting the portfolio package as Std. equipment and the only option on the car was the Kalimnos 20" wheels. The F-Type V8 the way I would want it lists for about $109,000 I think, and I just don't love it that much. Since I don't buy used, I'm going to have to wait for the price to go down some (Got $20,000 off the list on my new XK in the fall of 2010) and see what the coupe looks like.

Last edited by v8cat; 11-04-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:40 PM

and so far... there have been very few issues with the Ftype at all. Nothing that seems to stand out other than it has the largest single aluminum stamping ever made. Do not think youre going to keep closing from the side of the hood and have it close evenly. Ive even seen a few owners tweek the hood. Damn its a Jaguar not a old chevy truck, and hell those hoods folded in half. I prefer to close from the front or lean over the side and close at the center once about a foot from closed..
Still cant get enough of that exhaust rap

Old 11-05-2013, 07:45 PM
Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

My lease is almost up on the 2011 XF S/C which I love so much. I'm debating between the FV8S fully loaded (~106K?), XKR conv. ($115K?) to Maserati Grantourismo S Cabrio (~150K , dealers discounting ~30K+ off MSRP of the 2013s). The Maser is more practical with real nice and useful back seats. - real 4 seater GT.

Got to do something by year-end.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:52 AM

And they must be selling well enough for aftermarket companies to start building performance parts for the cars. You dont get that for poor sellers with little interest in aftermarket customization!

Old 11-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default selling fine

First of all it is going into winter, Jaguar overbuilt the first go at this and they know it. They have already slowed production down. The car is selling very well. It turns more heads than any car I have owned fro Viper, corvette etc. Fun car to drive as well. Its a true sport car (2 seats) totally different than the XF S/C etc. The EXHAUST!! Need I say more!

Brutal (11-06-2013)

Quick Reply: F Type Not Selling