Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F Type oil change - DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by FIRE550
Guys please forgive the noob question. Just got done extracting about 7 liters of oil with my mityvac from my 16' R (which I don't get cause my car is suppose to only take 6.5 liters, weird and it wasn't overfilled prior). However it Worked great!
Question is when filling it back up with oil the oil doesn't have to go in the little tube I extracted from right? I figure it is going to go some in there and some to the sides. Please excuse the dumb question I just want to make sure.

thanks
No need to get even a little bit of oil in the tube.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 398 Posts

I just use the traditional funnel in the oil cap hole....pour slowly.

Old 05-23-2020, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

According to this the extraction method gets more oil out then the traditional way.

Watch and enjoy!

https://youtu.be/65MMnubY4DA
The only problem with that vid for us Jag owners is that the Jag oil extraction tube is NOT the same thing as a dip stick tube, and the extraction tube on the AJ126 and AJ133 doesn't go anywhere near the bottom of the sump, it sits around 4 mm off the bottom.
That said I'm happy to stick with the extraction tube method.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:30 PM
Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Anybody know why my car specs for 6.5 liters but yet I took out 7L and added 7L to get it properly full. At first I put 6.5 in and it wasn't enough.
I don't get it, anyone have insight to this?

Old 05-23-2020, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

Anybody know why my car specs for 6.5 liters but yet I took out 7L and added 7L to get it properly full. At first I put 6.5 in and it wasn't enough.
I don't get it, anyone have insight to this?
Yep, being AWD your oil fill should be 6.5 litres and 7 litres should show as "overfilled".
The only thing I can think of is your measurement of 7 litres was a little off and it was really only 6.5 litres.
For example my cheap Chinese oil extraction pump (which works great) is miles out, when the level in the container shows as 7.25 litres it's really only 6.25 litres.

Old 05-24-2020, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yep, being AWD your oil fill should be 6.5 litres and 7 litres should show as "overfilled".
The only thing I can think of is your measurement of 7 litres was a little off and it was really only 6.5 litres.
For example my cheap Chinese oil extraction pump (which works great) is miles out, when the level in the container shows as 7.25 litres it's really only 6.25 litres.
Nope - put a 5 liter jug in and 2 one liter bottles in for a grand total of 7 full liters. Oil level is perfect.
Also my extractor container is marked in liters and it took out exactly 7 liters. Here it is, this is after running for ten minutes then cooling down for ten minutes on level ground.
Beats me but I'll live - lol.
Was just wondering why and wanted to know if anyone had any rhyme or reason for this.

Old 05-24-2020, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Was just wondering why and wanted to know if anyone had any rhyme or reason for this.
I did mine today and put in 7.25 quarts (~7 liters) and my level looks identical to yours. For reference, I used the sump drain method.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Stohlen
I did mine today and put in 7.25 quarts (~7 liters) and my level looks identical to yours. For reference, I used the sump drain method.
Is yours an AWD F-Type?
I put 6.5 liters in and when I checked it cold it said full. Then I ran it for ten minutes and let it cool down for ten minutes. Then checked it and it was a little over half full. So I dumped the rest of that seventh liter in and did the run for ten minutes, cool for ten and it read like my above picture. Perfect!
So yes ended up taking 7 full liters - not the 6.5 they call for.
Took a ride to my buddies house. Went out to the car about an hour later. Wanted to check it again. So let it run for the 10 on 10 off again, but this time it read overfilled. I was like what the F x x x!!!
I did noticed it was a very slight dip in his driveway where it was parked.
So I moved the car to a perfectly level part of his driveway, did the test two more times and boom both times it was perfect.
Tried one more time when I got home in my garage, and again perfect.
I'm done - my 2016 awd F- Type R takes 7 liters. It must be a manufacturer freak! LOL

Old 05-24-2020, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member

Is yours an AWD F-Type?
I put 6.5 liters in and when I checked it cold it said full. Then I ran it for ten minutes and let it cool down for ten minutes. Then checked it and it was a little over half full. So I dumped the rest of that seventh liter in and did the run for ten minutes, cool for ten and it read like my above picture. Perfect!
So yes ended up taking 7 full liters - not the 6.5 they call for.
Took a ride to my buddies house. Went out to the car about an hour later. Wanted to check it again. So let it run for the 10 on 10 off again, but this time it read overfilled. I was like what the F x x x!!!
I did noticed it was a very slight dip in his driveway where it was parked.
So I moved the car to a perfectly level part of his driveway, did the test two more times and boom both times it was perfect.
Tried one more time when I got home in my garage, and again perfect.
I'm done - my 2016 awd F- Type R takes 7 liters. It must be a manufacturer freak! LOL
Yep, AWD, it's in his sig (which you may not be able to see on a mobile device).
This whole oil level malarkey, AWD vs RWD etc etc, gets curiouser and curiouser!
It looks like the only real answer is "get your car dead level then add whatever amount of oil brings it to smack on the max mark".

Old 05-24-2020, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

It looks like the only real answer is "get your car dead level then add whatever amount of oil brings it to smack on the max mark".
Which I did, on the locks of my professionally leveled hoist. No concerns about an unlevel vehicle.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:15 PM

Yep, AWD, it's in his sig (which you may not be able to see on a mobile device).
This whole oil level malarkey, AWD vs RWD etc etc, gets curiouser and curiouser!
Yea man I always do the forum here on my phone. Can type faster on my phone nowadays. LOL .....So yea I don't see his signature.

Yep agree. Mine was 7 liters. Actually happy about that, now I can just dump two 1 liter bottles in and 1 five liter bottle. Won't have to measure. Make the 15 minute oil change even easier!

Old 05-25-2020, 01:10 PM

Does checking the oil in the morning before you run the car at all give you an accurate reading?
When I check it it says okay and is to the Max line like it is suppose to be. Then if I let it run for awhile then check it after ten min cool down is says okay still but not at the Max line. I already put 7 liters in my car that is suppose to only get 6.5 and don't want to add more.
This **** is getting annoying.

Old 05-25-2020, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 398 Posts

With the electronic dipstick, repeatability is the goal, not absolute accuracy.

Check it in the morning before starting...if it drops THEN think about adding some more.

If you really want to see an absolute value, you need to check oil level under each condition (Cold in the AM, and ten minutes after a warm shutdown) with the OBD tool, as mentioned in a couple Topics here. Note the OBD value that corresponds to the gauge (which I bet is rounded off, hence the RESET AVERAGE READING part of the oil change procedure).

I would not be apprehensive about the readings you are getting.

Old 05-25-2020, 04:46 PM

Well I have put 7.2 liters of oil in my 2016 awd that call's for 6.5 liters. It is finally perfect, checked it about twelve times now, lol.
I am using liquimoly 0W-20 maybe that has something to do with why I needed more then the 6.5.
Oh well - longs she is running good and she is like a beast!

Old 05-29-2020, 12:25 PM

My car never had a problem with oil level before I did the first oil change on it. Bought my 2016
F Type R six months ago with 4800 miles on it. Oil level always read full to the max and OK.
Decided to change the oil at 6400 ish last week.
Took roughly 7 liters out of it with the evacuator. For a car that is suppose to only have 6.5 in it.
Then filled it with 6.5 liters, wasn't enough so put the other half liter in. It was full and perfect for a day or two then it showed low again. So I added another point 2 liters. That brought it perfect again. Now a week later I haven't driven it in a couple days. Went out there and the oil level is showing okay still but isn't at the Max level like it was.
Hopefully someone replies to me here. Do you think I am plagued with a car that burns oil?
I did use liqui moly as my oil in the change - maybe that is the culprit?
Can anybody help at all and give me some insight to this.
Why was the oil always at Max level showing okay up until I changed it?
so weird.

Thank You.
Eric

Old 05-29-2020, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Are you familiar that the oil sensor is very temperamental and ridiculously sensitive to ground level.
I do the same as you, rely on how much oil is pulled out to get accuracy of how much oil is in there. But I do that every so often, and pump the oil back in.
Hillbilly Oil analysis- but hey its 100% accurate.

Old 05-29-2020, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Are you familiar that the oil sensor is very temperamental and ridiculously sensitive to ground level.
I do the same as you, rely on how much oil is pulled out to get accuracy of how much oil is in there. But I do that every so often, and pump the oil back in.
Hillbilly Oil analysis- but hey its 100% accurate.
Yea I am beginning to realize how temperamental it is for sure.
So like I said above the oil read okay after my car sitting in the garage for two days untouched but wasn't at the max line like it was leading up to that point.
Then I started it, let it run for ten minutes and cool for ten minutes and wouldn't you know right back to max fill line and okay.
Very annoying and said Fuxx it!
Chalking it up to a very touchy feely sensor for the oil check.

Old 05-30-2020, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Very annoying and said Fuxx it!
Chalking it up to a very touchy feely sensor for the oil check.
You actually took the most important step to avoiding oil starvation. Dont trust emerging technology, the sonar has too many variations that impact it.
To make matters worse the computer tries to compensate for it by having a wide margin of error.
Use it as a convenience, but verify.

Not to further complicate matters, but I think by design a garage is not supposed to be level. Does it read the same if you are backed in vs parked straight?

Old 05-30-2020, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
You actually took the most important step to avoiding oil starvation. Dont trust emerging technology, the sonar has too many variations that impact it.
To make matters worse the computer tries to compensate for it by having a wide margin of error.
Use it as a convenience, but verify.

Not to further complicate matters, but I think by design a garage is not supposed to be level. Does it read the same if you are backed in vs parked straight?

You know I have never backed in and tried it. Huh - shocking actually! Haha....
Although before the oil change I never had this fluctuation problem. Where it reads below the max ok line in the morning before starting for the day, then after ten min running, then ten min cool off, reads perfect.
I was thinking maybe it is because I changed the brand of oil to the Liquimoly, ya think?

Old 05-30-2020, 08:01 PM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

I use liquimoly. I put in 7L right on the money. Used last 2 years.

The following users liked this post:
schuss (12-28-2020)

Quick Reply: F Type oil change - DIY