Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type owner making payments by renting via Turo

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 05:46 PM
JagForums Town Crier
Received 155 Likes on 104 Posts
Default F-Type owner making payments by renting via Turo

Now, I don't know too many enthusiasts who would be cool renting out their car on Turo. Think about it like Air BnB for cars. But some of my friends and I have spittballed ideas about how to use a service like this to essentially own a car for free. We started with the cheapest luxury cars we could find that would fetch the highest rate. And we also decided we'd just do it until the car was paid off, then service and drive it.

That said, there's apparently a guy in CA doing this with an F-Type. You can read the full story here. Has anyone actually used this service? Lent out your car?

Old 11-02-2017, 06:00 PM
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Great idea if you want the crap beat out of it.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:23 PM
SVR
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Nope.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:32 PM
Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts

Does commercial use of the vehicle void the warranty? I'm suspecting 'yes'.

I got a good laugh from this though:

" Recently one of his F-Types caught fire and burned to the ground. Aside from these incidents he has nothing but high praise for the car rental platform. "

I'm a big fan of clever business ideas, but not sure if i'd want to rent my car out. I might rent someone else's though.

Last edited by 15FTypeR; 11-02-2017 at 06:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Johnny Mayday (11-03-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by 15FTypeR

" Recently one of his F-Types caught fire and burned to the ground. Aside from these incidents he has nothing but high praise for the car rental platform. "

I'm a big fan of clever business ideas, but not sure if i'd want to rent my car out. I might rent someone else's though.
Yeah...kinda like putting your plane on the line for hourly rental. Something's always breaking down with other pilots at the yoke.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Yeah...kinda like putting your plane on the line for hourly rental. Something's always breaking down with other pilots at the yoke.

+1

AND...I can't stand the thought of someone farting in my seat!

Old 11-03-2017, 12:06 AM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Yeah, I saw that story! First one was stolen, and the Jag caught fire. Greeeaaat....
When I was deciding if a Tesla was too big for me (I like small cars) I rented a P90D for a day. It was super convenient for me as the guy was just a couple miles away and I left my car there. Yes, I beat the crap out of it (he said I could) and then gave it back. The acceleration was amazing.
What they don't tell you until the check-out procedure is almost complete is that they charge you an extra 10% over the quoted fee. They also say they have insurance but I think that is an add-on too. I've looked at renting a cheap one in another city but with the extra 10% they never seem to be as cheap or convenient as just getting a rental at the airport. Some of the people do deliver to the airport. Sometimes there is a fee for that, sometimes not.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by akc70
Great idea if you want the crap beat out of it.
This.

After the car paid off you'd have trashed luxury car that would cost more than normal to maintain and would be both mechanically and esthetically worse than average.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:14 AM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

I've thought about it, but the Turo market (AFAICT) doesn't seem that good for high end cars where I live.

The following users liked this post:
Johnny Mayday (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 06:15 PM
JagForums Town Crier

Originally Posted by 15FTypeR

Ha ha ha. "Aside from that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

Old 11-03-2017, 06:16 PM
JagForums Town Crier

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
I've thought about it, but the Turo market (AFAICT) doesn't seem that good for high end cars where I live.
I might give it a shot in Seattle and see? The one I saw here was an F430 for like $600 a day. But while that's cheaper than what you'd pay to rent an exotic in Vegas, it's still more than I want to pay, for sure. A Maser Quarttroporte for 250 might be kind of fun though. Always wanted to drive one, but would never in a million years own one.

Last edited by Johnny Mayday; 11-03-2017 at 06:22 PM.