F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Owners - San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 07:59 PM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts
Default F-Type Owners - San Francisco

Just wondering if there are any other F-Type owners in the SF area and if they might be interested in a casual driving morning up the coast etc.. perhaps one Sunday.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:19 PM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

In south bay - los gatos. Always up for a drive.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:27 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

I'd be interested. Do a few drives a year with a BMW group and I'd love to not be the odd one out for a change!

Old 07-26-2014, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

I'm up for a casual/spirited drive. I posted in the western forum but don't think too many folks visit that. some suggestions

- tomales bay (30 days left for oysters)
- SF to half moon bay via devil slides tunnel (tunnel!)
- half moon bay down to santa cruz

Old 07-26-2014, 10:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I may be interested in meeting up for a drive. SF isn't too far from Fresno and it would be fun to get away from this inferno and drive top down!

Old 07-27-2014, 03:42 AM

I think a Sunday morning would be best if that works for all.

I like the suggestions from shift. Will be awesome to have 5-6 F-Types ruling the roads!

I only moved here from Europe last year so it'd be good if one of you local guys led the route. Shift?

Old 07-27-2014, 10:44 AM
Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

I'd be interested in a Sunday drive up or down the coast. If I can fit it into my schedule, the wife likes to keep it full. In the one year that I have owned the car, I have only seen one other F Type on the street.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sunday works for me!

Old 07-27-2014, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member

how are people's schedule looking for Aug 16 (Sat) or Aug 17 (Sun). It's Monterey Car Week. Perfect weekend to do a cruise down to Monterey, lots of car stuff happening that weekend. I think Saturday would be ideal. There's a cars and coffee from 8am-noon on Saturday: Monterey Car Week, Monterey, California, your only source for complete events schedules and local information. 

Old 07-27-2014, 09:26 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Was just on a drive today

Club Sportiva (Santa Clara based) had a boy/girl drive today to the coast. Traffic was brutal. Girls went in one group (wife had the F-Type) and boys in the other (I drove the XKR). Was fun when we finally got some room though sharp corners, steep hills, and a small pulley Eaton with waterless coolant and a hot day set a record for how hot my car got (just below the red-real gages). The guy driving the McLaren roadster just missed meeting a truck at speed around a blind corner passing a Fiat. Exciting. If I'm around I could try to drive up and join. August is a bit crazy though.

My F-Type used to be in the Club fleet but we decided to pull it out in June. Didn't want to share it anymore.

Club Memberships | Club Sportiva

Old 07-27-2014, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member

you're spot on with the traffic concerns. when the weather is nice, as it is around this time of year, traffic is brutal along the major coastal roads. this weekend I was trying to get out to santa cruz and half moon bay for a nice drive but the traffic was insane. a cruise down to monterey on sat/sun would need to start at 6 or 7am to avoid the traffic. can't beat monterey though. it's heaven for me, cars + golf.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

As some of you know,I live on the Monterey Peninsula and while I don't have my car yet,would love to meet up with like-minded F-Type owners at anytime.

We were in Sonoma for the NHRA races and traffic was brutal,especially near Gilroy yesterday on the way home because of the garlic festival.

Car week here will be amazing as always,I have a car being auctioned on Thursday @ Mecum both otherwise my calendar is pretty much wide open...would love to meet some Jaguar owners in the corral at Laguna Seca.

Had my eyes peeled all weekend and again...no F-Type sightings...still have yet to see one on the road and we've been to SF 3 times now since I've ordered my car,lol.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:57 AM

There are some great driving roads around here. The drive I did last week was around 60 miles or so up Bear Creek and Highway 9. Lots of corners, so you can't go super-fast which makes for a great drive, and just wonderful roads to be on. A few of our party did get tickets, however.... That kind of drive with lunch at somewhere like Alice's might make for a nice meet and greet

here's the route we took

Attached Thumbnails F-Type Owners - San Francisco-bmw-drive.png  

Last edited by swajames; 07-28-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:17 AM

While Monterey sounds nice, I'd prefer a less busy road/route and the focus to be on the drive. The Monterey route from what I can tell seems like it would be very busy. There must other routes with fewer cops and faster corners?

Old 07-29-2014, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by alexg
While Monterey sounds nice, I'd prefer a less busy road/route and the focus to be on the drive. The Monterey route from what I can tell seems like it would be very busy. There must other routes with fewer cops and faster corners?
The route I posted is a better driving route. The car comes alive on roads like these.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

A cruise down to Monterey would be more of a cruise than spirited driving. Just enjoying a nice drive and the beautiful monterey scenery. Once we get on 17 mile drive there'll be great photo ops. Otherwise it's more backroads for spirited driving but honestly I prefer to do that solo. Large group driving fast is asking for accident and tickets.

The following users liked this post:
buickfunnycar.com (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by shift
A cruise down to Monterey would be more of a cruise than spirited driving. Just enjoying a nice drive and the beautiful monterey scenery. Once we get on 17 mile drive there'll be great photo ops. Otherwise it's more backroads for spirited driving but honestly I prefer to do that solo. Large group driving fast is asking for accident and tickets.
This is a fair point. If we are cruising are we bringing WAGs along too?

Old 07-29-2014, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by shift
A cruise down to Monterey would be more of a cruise than spirited driving. Just enjoying a nice drive and the beautiful monterey scenery. Once we get on 17 mile drive there'll be great photo ops. Otherwise it's more backroads for spirited driving but honestly I prefer to do that solo. Large group driving fast is asking for accident and tickets...
Totally agree...Monterey/Big Sur/Carmel/Pebble Beach is all about the sights and sounds (from our cars,lol) and personally I'm really into that...just the sight of 4-6 F-Type coupes cruising the area would be unbelievable...great food and fantastic places to stop for photo ops...it's not for really all out speed...but it more than makes up for that in sheer beauty.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member

This is a fair point. If we are cruising are we bringing WAGs along too?
Wives, GFs, well-behaved pets, wives' hot single friends, all welcome!
I'm probably going to do this route: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...c.kG6s6gHgoJFg

Leave 6am, should get down by 8:30. Then maybe stop by one of the concourses like Concorso Italiano in the afternoon.

alexg (08-01-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member

There is SO much to do during Car Week here on the Peninsula that you can't possible take it all in...unless you're traveling by helicopter!

I'm busy most of the time from Tuesday the 12th until my car goes off on Thursday the 14th at 2:15, otherwise I would love to host you guys for a meal or drinks so PM me as we get closer...

shift (07-29-2014)

Quick Reply: F-Type Owners - San Francisco