F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is F type ownership/daily driving experience worth this sacrifice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 09:21 PM
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm a nostalgic person so I might be the lone person saying no. If I were you, I would find a way to keep both, but part ways with the Cadillac. I wouldn't be able to give up a classic beauty like that.

Old 09-22-2020, 03:53 AM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

She looks beautiful. You've kept her well all these years. Maybe you can have your cake and eat it too as parting is such sweet sorrow.

I have always preferred the Euro sports car styling over US muscle. But with the introduction of the totally redesigned 2021 corvette that mirrors Euro styling, I want one! It's a collector's item.

The post about boomers dying off and 60's cars losing value is true. MGB and Triumph mean nothing to my kids. When I bought my first car it was a 4 year old MGB convertible with 50k miles on it. It broke down every other day, you could see the road through the rotted floor boards but i loved it. But my real love was when i first saw the XKE convertible. In 1969 it was $3,500 - $5,000. for reference an upper middle class house cost $25,000. I couldn't afford one but I promised myself that some day I would own a jaguar sports car convertible.

In 2016, I turned 63 and realized that my life's runway was getting shorter and shorter. It was now or never. I have always given and taken care of everybody yet I was still nervous walking into the Jaguar dealership. It was love at first site as i saw the F-types in the lot. As this was a realization of a life's dream, I custom ordered exactly what I wanted. It had to be British Racing Green with a tan convertible top. I bought a 2017 F-type S with AWD. The day I picked it up and drove it out of the dealership was the realization that i made one of the best decisions in my life. The car doesn't know how to stay under 100mph. It accelerates, corners, brakes, rides and handles better than any car i have driven. We are a perfect match for each other.

The real shocker to me was everywhere I drive or park it, men and WOMEN come over and comment on how gorgeous the car is. I don't remember when the last time was that a woman commented on a car I was driving. On the highway I get thumbs up and race invites from drivers all the time. I live in the Boston area and I've yet to see another F-Type on the road. It is a rare breed meant for the rare driver who appreciates fine art covering a shadow of leaping jaguars under its covers.

No material object has given me such satisfaction and pleasure as the F-Type has. In March of 2018, a fire hydrant on the other side of the road got in my way. stupid fire hydrant. The left front section was smashed. I didn't think it would be a major repair job. The Jaguar body shop said other. The aluminum frame is the problem. So the insurance company considered it totaled. I was heartbroken. A few weeks later I received the check from the insurance company and went right back to the Jaguar dealership and said I want a new F-type. They had a number of them but no British Racing Green. I couldn't custom order because the books were closed. I had to wait until June before I could place my order. My new 2019 F-Type R AWD convertible arrived in September and suddenly I had meaning back in my life. I loved my S but the R is beyond awesome.

During the wait I purchased a 2016 Mustang GT convertible. It had muscle and looks but the acceleration of the F-type R is like being in a speed sled as you are pushed into the seat and the song of the exhaust rivals "a day in a life" or "stairway to heaven." I'm sure your corvette's muscle does the same.

The few issues as a daily driver, is as with most true sports car, the trunk/boot is small. Every weekly grocery run has paper towel packs and a few bags in the passenger's seat. Suitcase goes there too. and no spare tire. Lastly, it has summer performance tires. Drive in snow with these tires and you will slide slide slide... crash.. Snow tires help but on real snowy days its not worth the risk of driving it.

You will love your F-type and the new generation will too. Now, I just need to add that new corvette to my bucket list before the Austin Martin

Go for it!

The following 7 users liked this post by Fast Lane:
Ctan (09-23-2020), fujicoupe (09-22-2020), jorge429 (09-24-2020), mrjohnt (03-11-2021), OzXFR (09-22-2020), scm (09-22-2020), Uncle Fishbits (03-13-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-23-2020, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Welcome to the forum Fast Lane. What a great story. I'll look out for you in the Boston area. I'm in a grey SVR coupe.

The following users liked this post:
Fast Lane (10-02-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 08:54 AM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Absolutely...the 69 Vette is a beautiful machine ( I am a Corvette lover)...the F is just as beautiful , if not more stunning. I have owned several older Mustangs and Camaros...they rode fine but the quality of the ride in the Jag is superior IMHO-old school vs new school technology there is no comparison. I own an F-Type S AWD and it is such a beautiful driving machine...it never gets old or boring driving it. Good luck in your search and decision.

Old 09-30-2020, 10:40 AM
Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

Thank you all for your replies! I am very grateful. I am still thinking it over. The silver F type I had my eye on has sold, so my search continues.
As luck would have it, I drove my '69 to work yesterday and had a hard time starting her for the drive home. Was hoping it was just the battery, but it tested out fine. So, looking at a more costly repair I'm sure.

Old 09-30-2020, 11:37 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by SonofGaladriel
As luck would have it, I drove my '69 to work yesterday and had a hard time starting her for the drive home. Was hoping it was just the battery, but it tested out fine. So, looking at a more costly repair I'm sure.
You need to heed the messages the universe gives you ...

Old 09-30-2020, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by scm
You need to heed the messages the universe gives you ...
Yep, could be a sign. We'll see what the damage is and go from there.

Old 09-30-2020, 04:46 PM
Received 115 Likes on 66 Posts

I can think of a lot of cars I wish I didnt get rid of. A 69 vette is going to increase in value an f type wont, at least in a normal lifetime. If you absolutely couldnt keep both I would keep the 69. Just my opinion. No knock on the f type they are beautiful, thats why I got one.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:09 AM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I added a second F-Type early last year and have enjoyed the best of both worlds:
2014 Base Vert with VAP Tune, Pulley upgrade, High Flow Cats, and Lowering Springs
2016 V6S Coupe with a manual transmission

My only complaint is trying to keep them both clean at the same time

The following 4 users liked this post by evilftypedw:
datriani (03-11-2021), Luc Lapierre (03-12-2021), Martin Wade (03-13-2021), Mbourne (03-11-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 04:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The greatest risk you are undertaking is that you will be disturbed by how much you worship an inanimate object.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:14 PM
BHF
Received 94 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Go 4 it!

I owned a C3. Your’s is far nicer than mine ever was. I had the L48 with 185 hp stock. Took a lot of work to eventually make it go and handle better. It was heavy, hot and rode rather rough.
The F type is phenomenally better.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:16 PM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by evilftypedw
I added a second F-Type early last year and have enjoyed the best of both worlds:
2014 Base Vert with VAP Tune, Pulley upgrade, High Flow Cats, and Lowering Springs
2016 V6S Coupe with a manual transmission

My only complaint is trying to keep them both clean at the same time
That is a beautiful sight.

I picked up a '16 V6S as a daily driver and my only issue is how far I have to park to stay away from people in the lot and the knuckleheads who want to race but other than that, I couldn't be more happy walking into my garage to a warmed up F type (you can remote start with your phone or Apple Watch with the incontrol app), drive through my neighborhood with the active exhaust closed, and then open it up when I'm on the main road. I have a set of DWS tires on the factory 19's which isn't too bad in the snow but planning to get a set of 20's with high performance tires this spring and switch them according to the seasons.

I just turned 46 myself and was looking for something unique but mainstream enough that you can find a mechanic to work on it. 911, BMW, MB... dime a dozen. Anything exotic just means pricier repairs and parts. The Jag ain't cheap but it's within reason for a middle to higher end car. It looks like an Aston Martin but without the price and repair cost.

Any sports car is going to be fun to drive but the F type has something that's hard to put into words. Some cars knock it out of the park in some areas (100%) and lack (60-70%) in others areas significantly. The F type seems to do everything at 90% across the board.

The only other car I would consider at this point (besides and Aston) is a MB AMG - GT. Everything else is hard to justify or is too common.

evilftypedw (03-11-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 10:53 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

It's a tough call, apples and oranges really. Love the looks of the classic muscle cars but the driving experience is far from remarkable. Drove two seat sports cars for years but then the kids came along, and needed something with 4 seats. Bought a '68 Camaro RS SS Convertible . Great car to look at but it drove like a pick up truck. Wasn't fast, wallowed around corners and the chassis was so flexible you could watch the gap at the top of passenger door change under acceleration or in turns. That said, it got more attention from admirers than any of the sports cars I've ever owned and was always a thrill to walk up to in the parking lot. Like your C3 it wasn't matching numbers and also had the less desirable automatic, but it was an Arizona rust and accident free example which would be near impossible to replace today. My $.02 on your situation: If your C3 has features or personal value to you that would be extremely difficult to replace in future should you decide you need one later on, I would keep it. Otherwise sell and give the F-type a try! I don't regret owning the Camaro, but don't think I would want another one. Now a '71 Cuda convertible, that would be a different story, however I suspect the driving feel would be something akin to a 65 Ford PU. I very pretty pick up truck!

Good luck with your decision!

Old 03-12-2021, 05:59 AM
Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

Yep, could be a sign. We'll see what the damage is and go from there.
Could be a sign that the vette knows your "looking to see other people" and it's upset...

Old 03-12-2021, 08:27 AM

Fortunately, it was only the starter that had gone bad on the Corvette. Purchased a good quality from Summit Racing and installed it myself. $160 all in!
I have purchased a 2017 R. I do enjoy it very much. I did spend a bit more for this R than I had intended to as an S was what was originally planned. So, the '69 will be sold this Spring/Summer. Not in a hurry, but it will have to go. I'm not excited about it as I do love the car. It was a childhood fantasy come to life. But I don't need two sports cars and I would like to put the Jag in the garage.
My new to me 2017 R:

datriani (03-12-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 08:35 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I did spend a bit more for this R than I had intended ...
Everyone does! So we end up buying the cheapest car we can't afford!

Old 03-12-2021, 06:41 PM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts

Fortunately, it was only the starter that had gone bad on the Corvette. Purchased a good quality from Summit Racing and installed it myself. $160 all in!
I have purchased a 2017 R. I do enjoy it very much. I did spend a bit more for this R than I had intended to as an S was what was originally planned. So, the '69 will be sold this Spring/Summer. Not in a hurry, but it will have to go. I'm not excited about it as I do love the car. It was a childhood fantasy come to life. But I don't need two sports cars and I would like to put the Jag in the garage.
My new to me 2017 R:
Congrats!! beautiful ride.

Old 03-13-2021, 12:37 AM
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

Glad you got the V8!

Old 03-13-2021, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
There is no upside to 60s era cars - boomers who like them are getting to the end of driving days. Younger people like me don't want them because they handle very poorly unless you dump a lot of money and restomod them. You probably have another few years before prices start dropping. Just look at lack of demand for Model A to see where it going.

F-type is just day and night better car.
I've a friend in Oregon with a 60+ car collection. All 1900 - 1960s American roadster, utilitarian, or family cars... but there is an e-type in there! That being said, what you said nails it, and I scrolled this thread waiting for what is an absolute nuclear detonation in car valuations. Honestly, I go off a bit below, and it's because I'm ****ing pissed no one has the ***** to stand up and warn everyone.

I'm 44, & assuming you are younger.... I desperately want to start a collection. Now I've a one owner (me) restored body and engine 4cyl manual 1995 Wrangler YJ, and my 2019 F-Type (replacement from Jag HQ for 2016 failure). The cars i am looking at to collect are *not* cars born from a boomer's collection, nor like my friend's collection in oregon. There's a seismic shift in interest and valuation right now, and I was going to tell OP: SELL THIS CAR WHILE THE MARKET WILL DEMAND IT.

It's a good looking car, but 100% the people out there with money right now would buy a Miami Vice vehicle before his car. The interest in all of these American muscle and sports cars are waning to Japanese and Italian 80s or 90s cars, and weird to say but 4-wheel drives have more pull than 60s muscle cars, to some extent. At least, that is an obvious trend.

Anyone who likes this conversation should subscribe to Keith Martin's Sports Car Market, and I am also dead serious I will send you guys an old issue because I have a stack. It would be a random month of the last year, but there's not an issue where this struggle is not noted. I work in hospitality and food and beverage, and the changing audience is really described well by this:

Boomers are nearing end of traveling to luxury resorts, and their wine cellars are full. They're not buying more wine. Gen-X (me) are unfathomably small a replacement group for boomers, and we're basically a scant amount of cream filling between the giant cookies of boomer and millennial. That being said, Millennial doesn't want to afford luxury vs an airbnb, and they don't like wine vs a hard seltzer. Attitudes are changing, and for the people not paying attention, that luxury wine hotel resort is going to have a replacement problem.

Millennial are not into bullshit and grew up cynics, so they're not going to take your stale boomer fox memes, and they're not going to be tricked into thinking a TERRIBLE ride, and a REALLY EXPENSIVE to maintain vehicle is a "value". Not ever. There's no bullshit with these millennials who are JUST now maturing into luxury travel and money. That's literally what is happening to the car market, evaluations, millennials, and mid century cars. So this comment is literally nothing to do with an F-Type, my daily driver that I love at 6'6" and I've driven for 11 hours in it before and it's TOTALLY fine. This has to do with this:

This gent's car is pretty and its my favorite American mid century style. GET RID OF AN UNCOMFORTABLE RIDE YOU RARELY DRIVE. I know it's not a garage widow, but from my estimation of watching mid century american muscle cars... they will only depreciate. And likely fast.

I think the Boomer nostalgia artifice is giving way to the notion that a car that isn't comfortable to drive cannot be valued at $1M+ - $70M anymore. Boomers who fed off the ****ing planet had so much money they didn't know what to do with, so everything was overvalued. A boring car with lots of problems that is totally unsafe and a pain in the *** to maintain and take out is not a "value" to savvier younger generations with different interests. Boomers bought car for the thrill of it, but also esteem and to "hang that art" on the garage wall, so to speak. A millennial isn't going to value a car like that, especially with a generation paying the price for the excess of the boomers. They're not into artifice or bullshit, and they don't want to become the establishment with a garage of art cars.

THEY WANT TO DRIVE GREAT CARS AND THAT IS IT.

So sell you car, and my rant is over. Good day.
EDIT:
Also, you asked this in an F-Type forum. There's a certain cognitive dissonance? Did you ask this in the vette forum or "cars" subreddit? Because I would LOVE TO KNOW what non f-type people say. And I know you're not going to get my answer in this forum vs "F-type yay!" here. I would like to see some more serious collectors and people without bias comment on your question. Would you let me ask this on reddit if you have not? Like... this question is something I think about daily in the coming implosion of car evaluations, and we've not even spoken about the giant subset of millennial who rather be on their phone than drive, and the people who truly just want fleets of autonomous cars to take them wherever. What's coming is giant, and no one talks about it. Myopia is a bitch.

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 03-13-2021 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-13-2021, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Lane
Go for it!
I hadn't seen your comment prior to mine. I'm glad I'm not insane.... what's coming will be hard to comprehend for some people. I think this thread has me selling my 95 YJ while the 4x4 market is hot, and before the coming electric / autonomous craze makes petrol car insurance, or gas, unforgivably expensive. The only petrol cars driving will be dailys, because there isn't a generation alive that will act like boomers spending too much on too much garage for too many cars that are rarely driven and when they're started the oil falls out from brittle gaskets failing, etc. The Boomers had the luxury of being into nonsense that wasn't rational. Modern generations are far more no-nonsense.

Quick Reply: Is F type ownership/daily driving experience worth this sacrifice?