Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Paint/Wrap/Color Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 06:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Type Paint/Wrap/Color Question

Hey all,

For the past several months, I have been tirelessly searching for a MY 2015 R Coupe in Firesand Metallic to no avail. I am concerned that when I DO find one, that the chances it has the options I am looking for at a reasonable price is slim to none (strangely enough, I have noticed that used F-Types that are in Firesand Metallic have been priced well above cars with similar specs/miles, most likely due to the scarce supply).

I am quite unfamiliar with this area, which is why I am deferring to you guys for some information/tips/know-how. I have a few main questions.

1. What are the economics/logistics of getting an F-Type repainted?

2. What are the economics/logistics of getting an F-Type wrapped?

3. What exactly is the difference and why would one choose one versus the other (I know re-painting a car is a huge endeavor due to having to remove the engine and possibly damaging the car and all that).

4. As such, I am currently entertaining the idea of trying to find the best specced/priced 2015 R Coupe in whatever color I find and then repainting/wrapping it to Firesand Metallic. Is this a feasible plan?

Thank you all for taking the time to read my post and helping me out! I am super grateful.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:13 AM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

An engine out, quality repaint job will run somewhere in the neighborhood of about $15k depending on where you live.

Wraps anywhere from 2-6k depending on material and how extensive and where you live. Alot of people will full wraps will only do the exterior panels, without pulling off bumpers and leaving door jambs, etc still the original color.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Two additional considerations. Repaints are rarely as good as the original baked finish, and cars not kept in the original color are discounted to those in the original color when resold. A wrap is far less costly and adds to the long term value of the car by protecting the paint underneath. The downside, of course, may be in not finding a wrap color that is exactly Firesand.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:07 AM
Received 43 Likes on 20 Posts

Paint:
A good paint job will cost you 8k+ and sometimes even more.
In order to protect it, plan on spending some additional money on a ceramic coat or clear bra.
Once you paint the car, you can't go back to it's original color unless you paint it yet again.
In order to keep the paint and clear coat looking good, you will need to re-do the cermaic/bra every 2-3 years.

Vinyl:
If you spend over 3k on getting the F Type wrapped, you got taken.
You can remove it easily.
It protects your paint under it.
It will last 3-4 years (unless you go with chrome colors which only last ~2ish).
Quick to install

Biggest issue with vinyl is that it will NEVER be perfect. Under our hoods you will be able to see the old color as it is virtually impossible to wrap all of that. You will have some corners where it will start to come up a bit and be visible where it is a wrap, once again, nothing you can really do about it.

Mine is wrapped, I am 99% happy with my choice but I plan on changing the color again within 12 months because I am stupid and like doing stupid things to my cars.

I would honestly say get a wrap and if you hate it, within a year or two you got your moneys worth and then you can resort back to paint.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:20 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

It sounds like you'll be most happy with a wrap. I would never recommend repainting a somewhat new car unless you plan on keeping it forever and resell value is not of concern.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:41 PM
Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrus
Hey all,

I have noticed that used F-Types that are in Firesand Metallic have been priced well above cars with similar specs/miles, most likely due to the scarce supply).
How much cost over non-Firesand F-Type R are you seeing? Is it a significant increase in price?

Old 05-19-2017, 05:11 PM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Boy, talk about targeted marketing, this was an add on a page I was on:
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=170065433
It's only a V6 S though, sorry... But it's a manual!

Last edited by Misujerr; 05-19-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DYC painted vinyl

Anyone try Dip Your Car (DYC) for an alternative to wrapping? It's a vinyl that is painted on and peels off after 2 - 4 years. Seems like an improvement over wrapping? Anyone heard of it or seen it?

Old 05-19-2017, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

If I was to buy a car with a view to wrapping it, I'd look for a black one. That would look the least odd under the bonnet and the other bits where the wrap doesnt go, and it might even look intentional. There are plenty of black cars out there so it is probably a cheap option too.

I've seen dip for bits of cars or for wheels which tend to get good feedback, but not for a whole car. I'd have thought it would be as tedious to do as painting, whereas wrap would give an even finish.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:44 PM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Some considerations for you ...

- by the time youve wrapped will you not have paid the same as the premium priced Firesand versions?
- if you consider the wrap route, you'll probably get close Colorado match, but unless special order (more $$) then you still dont have what you're looking for!
- be 110% sure you have only OEM paint if you intend to wrap ... Whilst a wrap will nearly always come off OEM paint ok, it will nearly always take paint with it when removed if the paint isn't of the same quality and baked like OEM finish ... (Ask me how I know ��) ... So then you need to paint anyway ...

HTH

Last edited by Senninha; 05-19-2017 at 07:46 PM.