Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F Type problems 3.0 V6

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2021 | 09:28 AM
|
Default F Type problems 3.0 V6

Hi everyone

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on an F Type with 33000km. Are there expensive problems with these cars? Do they have cam chain problems? What does this cost to fix and after how many km?

Old 02-12-2021 | 02:30 PM
Veteran Member

If you mean that you are interested in a supercharged V6 F-Type, the answer is that these are very reliable engines. Timing chains do not seem to be an issue on the V6; but other possible issues: leaking at the differential seals, and the timing chain cover seal (this, in turn, can cause alternator damage) - both of these should be checked. Other than these, there can be oxygen sensor failure or fuel injector failure (these are by no means limited to Jaguars). The supercharger coupling can cause rattling noise on start up and shut down.

The major issue with the F-Types is that they are addictive! Simply intoxicating - the performance and handling (and the 6 cylinder is generally thought to be the best balanced), the sound, everything - and they are stunningly beautiful, especially the coupe.

These cars, like all modern luxury cars, like to have full battery voltage all the time so if this is not to be a car in very regular use, fitting a battery minder is a very good idea.

there is a reason why owners of these cars are so enthusiastic...no, let me rephrase: there are many reasons why the owners are so enthusiastic.

The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
scm (02-12-2021), tec-9-7 (02-14-2021)
Old 02-12-2021 | 02:35 PM
|

Originally Posted by sov211
If you mean that you are interested in a supercharged V6 F-Type, the answer is that these are very reliable engines. Timing chains do not seem to be an issue on the V6; but other possible issues: leaking at the differential seals, and the timing chain cover seal (this, in turn, can cause alternator damage) - both of these should be checked. Other than these, there can be oxygen sensor failure or fuel injector failure (these are by no means limited to Jaguars). The supercharger coupling can cause rattling noise on start up and shut down.

The major issue with the F-Types is that they are addictive! Simply intoxicating - the performance and handling (and the 6 cylinder is generally thought to be the best balanced), the sound, everything - and they are stunningly beautiful, especially the coupe.

These cars, like all modern luxury cars, like to have full battery voltage all the time so if this is not to be a car in very regular use, fitting a battery minder is a very good idea.

there is a reason why owners of these cars are so enthusiastic...no, let me rephrase: there are many reasons why the owners are so enthusiastic.
Thanks - Do you know what it costs to replace the supercharger coupling?

Old 02-12-2021 | 04:22 PM
Veteran Member

Chris: I cannot answer that question because my F-Type (at 52,000 kms) has no extraneous noise from the supercharger coupler, but in addition I suspect that the cost of replacing the coupler might be quite different in Canada than it would be in South Africa.
Perhaps someone who has experienced this issue will comment. As far as I understand, the rattling noise as the engine is started and shut down is simply that: a noise - without further implications (but I stand to be corrected).

Old 02-12-2021 | 05:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sov211
Chris: I cannot answer that question because my F-Type (at 52,000 kms) has no extraneous noise from the supercharger coupler, but in addition I suspect that the cost of replacing the coupler might be quite different in Canada than it would be in South Africa.
Perhaps someone who has experienced this issue will comment. As far as I understand, the rattling noise as the engine is started and shut down is simply that: a noise - without further implications (but I stand to be corrected).
If the rattle is allowed to go on for several thousand miles/kms the spring will eventually wear quite large grooves in the snout shaft which will then negatively effect the operation of the SC. There are pics of this wear in this and other threads but I'm too lazy and incompetent to find them and post links!

Old 02-12-2021 | 05:35 PM
Veteran Member

The ftype like most jags can be Problematic , chain problems , battery and electrical faults but so are most modern cars . Yes jags can be fun so can the R8

Old 02-13-2021 | 12:33 AM
|

Originally Posted by George05
The ftype like most jags can be Problematic , chain problems , battery and electrical faults but so are most modern cars . Yes jags can be fun so can the R8
Does the chain get noisey? Any idea what mileage before the chain goes? Any idea on cost?

Old 02-13-2021 | 08:30 AM

Hi Chris. I’ve had 2 FType v6 and both have needed new exhausts at between 40k and 50k miles. The active exhaust became squeaky. I do c20k miles per year.

Old 02-13-2021 | 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chris_williamson
Does the chain get noisey? Any idea what mileage before the chain goes? Any idea on cost?

Again, the V6 engine does not seem to have chain issues. The F-Type does not have "electrical issues" unless the battery voltage is allowed to drop by lack of use, short runs, or battery defect...and as stated. "Electrical issues" are easily avoided by fitting a battery maintainer.

and in terms of the comparison between an F-Type and an R8...only one of these is both exciting to drive and beautiful, and it isn't the R8 🙂

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (02-13-2021)
Old 02-14-2021 | 04:44 PM

Locally, the dealer wanted $2,700 US for this; an independent shop was at $1,800 US, when mine failed at ~43,000 miles

Old 02-14-2021 | 05:07 PM
Veteran Member

The Book/Labor time listed to perform the Isolator/Coupler is 6.2 Hours(@ whatever labor rate the shop charges). If we assume Dealer @$175/Hr., which is likely toward the top end, it would be ~$1085 Labor plus the part. The part (there are spring type, and solid) is usually under $100.00.

Should give you some idea of what it SHOULD cost. If you do it yourself...It is less than $100!

DC

Old 02-14-2021 | 08:09 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

Not quite sure what I paid the dealer for this (I’m on the road right now), but I think it was closer to $2k. Took the opportunity to replace the suspect coolant pipes, and they reported the water pump was starting to leak, so they did that too.

Old 02-14-2021 | 11:46 PM
|

Originally Posted by Therock88
The Book/Labor time listed to perform the Isolator/Coupler is 6.2 Hours(@ whatever labor rate the shop charges). If we assume Dealer @$175/Hr., which is likely toward the top end, it would be ~$1085 Labor plus the part. The part (there are spring type, and solid) is usually under $100.00.

Should give you some idea of what it SHOULD cost. If you do it yourself...It is less than $100!

DC
Labour is about $45.00 in South Africa at an independant