F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F Type Quality Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 12:33 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default F Type Quality Issues

Still doing my research before taking the plunge ........... but its been mentioned a few times that the interior quality is not great.

what are your general impressions so far ?

Old 01-13-2016, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

I don't have any issues with interior quality, but I'm not coming to this car from a Bentley.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I completely disagree with comments about an inferior interior. For example, I think it's superior to comparable BMWs. It may not be the very best out there, but it's quite respectable in terms of quality and looks.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:12 PM
Received 400 Likes on 211 Posts

It really depends on the trim package you get along with what your definition of interior quality is.

If you step up and get the extended leather package which comes with a leather dashboard, upper door trim and roof liner..then its pretty good.

If you get the base interior, it leaves a LOT to be desired in my opinion especially in this price bracket. To be honest, I feel that the interior is what I would find on my old Acura TSX. Great for its price point at around 30000 but not acceptable for a 65000+ car.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:31 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

I've got the extended leather and in my opinion the interior quality is fine. It's not as luxurious as some competitors but I'm happy with it and it's certainly nicer than the $50k car I moved up from.

The interior electronics on the other hand... OMG.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:33 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ioneabee
Still doing my research before taking the plunge ........... but its been mentioned a few times that the interior quality is not great.

Quite pleased with the interior. Guess it depends how one frames "interior quality." Aesthetics? Quality of materials? Fitment? Ergonomics? Switchgear? Trim accents? Electronic interface? Etc.

Have you sat in a F-Type?

Old 01-13-2016, 01:36 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws

The interior electronics on the other hand... OMG.
could you expand ?

Old 01-13-2016, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by deltagroup
Quite pleased with the interior. Guess it depends how one frames "interior quality." Aesthetics? Quality of materials? Fitment? Ergonomics? Switchgear? Trim accents? Electronic interface? Etc.

Have you sat in a F-Type?
yes - just the once though and didn't notice anything wrong
I'm trying to arrange a test drive towards the end of this month
my closest dealer is about 50 mls away, so not just round the corner

Old 01-13-2016, 01:47 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

yes - just the once though and didn't notice anything wrong
I'm trying to arrange a test drive towards the end of this month
my closest dealer is about 50 mls away, so not just round the corner
Understand. Certainly do let us know how your test drive goes.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

If you're like me - and, of course, you are not - on my test drive (over a year and a half ago), I was so enamored with the exterior (lust at first sight), the sounds of the exhausts (intoxicating) and the sublime handling (splendid) I did not even notice that the F-Type (mine's a 2015 V6S which I now have for 15 months) had an interior. In a word, it's "STUNNING". Sure, an interior is important but, IMO, a hell of a lot less so in this baby.

See for yourself. One test drive is, basically, all it look...I mean took!

Good luck,
RJ52

The following users liked this post:
Flinger (01-13-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member

What are your expectations? Perhaps that is the crux of the biscuit. Some expect more luxury than others. The car sits kind of in between Sports and Grand Touring. A little more Sports would have suited me (and saved considerable weight) but others like the GT aspect.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:32 PM
Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
If you're like me - and, of course, you are not - on my test drive (over a year and a half ago), I was so enamored with the exterior (lust at first sight), the sounds of the exhausts (intoxicating) and the sublime handling (splendid) I did not even notice that the F-Type (mine's a 2015 V6S which I now have for 15 months) had an interior. In a word, it's "STUNNING". Sure, an interior is important but, IMO, a hell of a lot less so in this baby.

Good luck,
RJ52
This just about 'sums it up', but I have a 16' coupe and the thing is stunning in every category. Fits like a glove. Even my wife loves it as a passenger. If you like smiling and laughter.... just go buy the thing. You will never regret it. Oh, and every.... single... person... that has seen the interior and ridden in it just smile and laugh while reaching for and feeling the leather. It is gorgeous.

RickyJay52 (01-13-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 02:36 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

could you expand ?
Sure. The navigation is already out of date and the interface for it is very frustrating. It can take a full second to respond to finger presses and menus are hidden in bizarre areas and act unintuitively. It's actively worse than my 2007 Garmin.

The audio system quality is.. debatable. Some people here find it fine. I find it awful. I just picked up my F-Type from the stereo shop today and now that I've dropped an aftermarket system into it I'm 100x happier.

All that being said.. when you are accelerating like an angry banshee who really cares about the nav?

Old 01-13-2016, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
Sure. The navigation is already out of date and the interface for it is very frustrating. It can take a full second to respond to finger presses and menus are hidden in bizarre areas and act unintuitively. It's actively worse than my 2007 Garmin.

The audio system quality is.. debatable. Some people here find it fine. I find it awful. I just picked up my F-Type from the stereo shop today and now that I've dropped an aftermarket system into it I'm 100x happier.

All that being said.. when you are accelerating like an angry banshee who really cares about the nav?
The F-Type has NAV??? When did this happen? Darren!!! I could have used it last night while driving home in a white out [read = snowstorm].

To us, angry banshees united!

Old 01-13-2016, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
What are your expectations? Perhaps that is the crux of the biscuit. Some expect more luxury than others. The car sits kind of in between Sports and Grand Touring. A little more Sports would have suited me (and saved considerable weight) but others like the GT aspect.
I think you nailed it Steve. It all depends upon how one prefers to use and experience a car like this. I've had the nav system on maybe 3 times to test it against Waze on my iPhone. I have no need for it anymore. The audio system is usually off because I don't want any interference w/ my enjoyment of the exhaust note. My center screen is either dark or displaying the "leaper" 90% of the time.

I have the base interior and base seats, which I find both aesthetically pleasing, well put together, and extremely comfortable. I'd also prefer it to be a little more stripped and more oriented toward sport a la my former Lotus Elise.

I don't want a cushy living room in a car like this.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:20 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

This is so personal preference driven. I had an SLK55. The interior on my V8S vert with extended leather is hands down nicer than what I came from. I don't have any complaints about the NAV but frankly I use the car as my daily driver and most days I remember where my office is. I think that the upgraded stereo is fine, again a lot better than the HK that was in the Benz, but I've had a lot of years of chain saws and motorcycles to tune my ears. And as others have said, when you drive it, you won't even notice that it has an interior.

On your test drive, turn the stereo off, put the windows down and nail it, but be prepared to write a check.

4Holer (01-13-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

My 2 cents: The interior features are far more extensive and luxurious than they need to be for a beautiful and agile sports car. When I ordered the car, had I known what I do now, the various performance options had been available ala carte, and my preferred interior color didn't require upholstering the ceiling, I would have gone with a V6 base rather than a fully decked out V6S. Could have saved me several hundred pounds and $20k. The few times i've needed a Nav, it has worked perfectly fine.

TR64ever (01-13-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 07:07 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

I wanted red leather on the seats, so I had to chose the Performance seat package, which included the extended leather. I think it's perfect for this car; very sporting. I love the look of the interior: the way the interior lights accent everything, the switches, gauges, panoramic roof and steering wheel. And the comfort is perfect. The driver's seat seems to have been custom made for me. Like a bespoke suit of clothes. The saloons need wood accents; the F-type does not. I swear, the way the interior is finished really reminds me of how my series 1 E-type was finished. The F-type is a little more "GT" than a true sports car, but not too plush as to keep it out of the sports car category. Very British; a proper Jaguar for sure.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:08 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52

Good luck,
RJ52
I care greatly about my car's interior, so whenever I'm looking at a cat (edit:car) model, I go to the dealer and sit in the car for a few minutes. I touch everything, and explore the interior, visualizing what it would be like to call this stuff mine.
I've walked out of dealerships far too many times without test driving a car just because the interior didn't quite feel right.
To op, just go sit in it for a good ten minutes. When the salesman says 'can I help you', say 'later', and ignore the weird looks you're sure to get

Old 01-13-2016, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hardwired
I care greatly about my car's interior, so whenever I'm looking at a cat (edit:car) model, I go to the dealer and sit in the car for a few minutes. I touch everything, and explore the interior, visualizing what it would be like to call this stuff mine.
I've walked out of dealerships far too many times without test driving a car just because the interior didn't quite feel right.
To op, just go sit in it for a good ten minutes. When the salesman says 'can I help you', say 'later', and ignore the weird looks you're sure to get
You're at the other end of the spectrum than I am. If the driving experience is right, everything else disappears. Sadly, I have to commute, so the amenities do come into play, but this car is the plushest I've owned.

I'd gladly trade all the power adjustments on the seats for some weight loss though. I'm the only driver, so three memorized settings is useless to me.

Quick Reply: F Type Quality Issues