F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type R 5.0 V8 Idle - Rough, shaky, stuttering? Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2022, 05:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@NBCat Thank you once again!

But what do you think about lack of any sign of bad injectors on the set of spark plugs that were just replaced? No dark spots, no burn marks, all equal in color. Wouldn’t single dark plugs be the ultimate indication of injector issues?

Old 10-19-2022, 10:32 AM
Received 2,626 Likes on 1,810 Posts

If one or more of the injectors on Bank1 are sticking open momentarily, but enough to starve Bank2 cylinders 5 and 7 of fuel, there may not be any indication on the spark plugs from the Bank1 cylinders until the injectors fail and cause raw fuel to get sent into the the catalyst. Once one or more of the injectors permanently fail, raw fuel enters the catalyst causing damage with the resulting flashing MIL and smoke from the exhaust.

Old 05-06-2023, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by NBCat
If one or more of the injectors on Bank1 are sticking open momentarily, but enough to starve Bank2 cylinders 5 and 7 of fuel, there may not be any indication on the spark plugs from the Bank1 cylinders until the injectors fail and cause raw fuel to get sent into the the catalyst. Once one or more of the injectors permanently fail, raw fuel enters the catalyst causing damage with the resulting flashing MIL and smoke from the exhaust.
Quick update:

I never got around to doing the Bank 1 injector set replacement last year as the weather ended the F-Type driving season early.

This year the engine still wobbles in the same fashion, i.e at one stoplight it is smooth, at another stoplight it is wobblier, at another one randomly it shakes the car very noticeably.

So I thought I would follow the advice from @NBCat and with closest oil change next week I would replace the 4 Bank 1 injectors.

Had it plugged into the scanner yesterday and surprise surprise - for a long time at idle in the driveway there were NO Misfires on any of the cylinders. Then during a 25 minute druve around town with the scanner plugged in, misfire (1) was noted at Cylinder 7 (so just as last year) BUT then, another misfire (1) showed up at Cylinder… 2! Not a single misfire read at Cylinder 5 as before.

With these new results I believe that the theory that some injectors on bank 1 sticking open and causing bank 2 cylinders 5 and 7 to be starved of fuel and throwing misfires is now not accurate? Now with Cylinders 2 and 7 showing misfires (but small enough to not cause any misfire fault or CEL) it looks like there is a diffrent issue?

Additionaly here are the faults that were read by the scanner, from last few months of driving it, any tip from these?

P0173-00 Fuel Trim Bank 2 (Pending)
P013E-00 Oxygen sensor delayed response rich to lean bank 1 sensor 2 (Historic)
P0430-00 Cat system efficiency below threshold bank 2 (Historic)

Last edited by Sgratmtv; 05-06-2023 at 06:01 AM.
Old 07-31-2023, 12:58 PM
Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgratmtv
Quick update:

I never got around to doing the Bank 1 injector set replacement last year as the weather ended the F-Type driving season early.

This year the engine still wobbles in the same fashion, i.e at one stoplight it is smooth, at another stoplight it is wobblier, at another one randomly it shakes the car very noticeably.

So I thought I would follow the advice from @NBCat and with closest oil change next week I would replace the 4 Bank 1 injectors.

Had it plugged into the scanner yesterday and surprise surprise - for a long time at idle in the driveway there were NO Misfires on any of the cylinders. Then during a 25 minute druve around town with the scanner plugged in, misfire (1) was noted at Cylinder 7 (so just as last year) BUT then, another misfire (1) showed up at Cylinder… 2! Not a single misfire read at Cylinder 5 as before.

With these new results I believe that the theory that some injectors on bank 1 sticking open and causing bank 2 cylinders 5 and 7 to be starved of fuel and throwing misfires is now not accurate? Now with Cylinders 2 and 7 showing misfires (but small enough to not cause any misfire fault or CEL) it looks like there is a diffrent issue?

Additionaly here are the faults that were read by the scanner, from last few months of driving it, any tip from these?

P0173-00 Fuel Trim Bank 2 (Pending)
P013E-00 Oxygen sensor delayed response rich to lean bank 1 sensor 2 (Historic)
P0430-00 Cat system efficiency below threshold bank 2 (Historic)
Hello @Sgratmtv,
Wanted to see if you have any updates. I think I have a similar slight misfire at idle that does not register a fault code.
i bought a 2015 FTR 6 weeks ago and couldn't tell if this idle was normal or not. Then 1 week and half ago I got a MIL light for Code P0430.
Cleared the code and it returned a week later. I threw in a bottle of cataclean this time to buy me some until to figure out the root cause.
Looks like I might be in your boat as well.

Old 08-01-2023, 10:54 AM

Hey,

At the time I created the thread here I had zero experience with another V8 F-Type.

Now however I have two buddies with V8 cars - one is a 2014 V8S and the other is a 2017 SVR and surprise, surprise - they BOTH do this too. Very similar shaky idle, not very obvious but it is there when you focus.

Later I also searched a facebook f-type owners group and found a thread in which there are like 30 responses with most people saying their V8s do the exact same thing.

All in all I guess this is how these are. Surprising, sure, but what can one do.

I guess you can relax now and enjoy it, just like I do, even when the jag is a bit shaky at the red light.

„It’s not a flaw, it’s a feature!”

The following users liked this post:
BlackKat (08-02-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 12:22 PM
Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgratmtv
Hey,

At the time I created the thread here I had zero experience with another V8 F-Type.

Now however I have two buddies with V8 cars - one is a 2014 V8S and the other is a 2017 SVR and surprise, surprise - they BOTH do this too. Very similar shaky idle, not very obvious but it is there when you focus.

Later I also searched a facebook f-type owners group and found a thread in which there are like 30 responses with most people saying their V8s do the exact same thing.

All in all I guess this is how these are. Surprising, sure, but what can one do.

I guess you can relax now and enjoy it, just like I do, even when the jag is a bit shaky at the red light.

„It’s not a flaw, it’s a feature!”
Glad to hear. Thanks brother!
You'll catch me on the FB groups well.

Old 07-09-2024, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2015 f-type r

Good evening, sorry about the lengthy post I just really need some help or information.
I have a 2015 F-TYPE R with 60K miles on it (Not under warranty). Had for about 2 years no major issues, previous owner I bought it from had it tunned with the lower pully from J.A.G.S tunning group. Over the past few months, I've had a lot more issues. Recently had a check engine light that flagged a fuel injector problem, I replaced all 4 injectors on bank 2 and all 8 spark plugs. Almost a month later replaced the driver side catalyst. Since then, the car has had a rough idle during the open loop/warm up. After it warms up rpms drop, and it is as smooth as a whistle and drives with no issues. At the time it was throwing no codes so mechanic believes that it is a software issue as a result of the tune. Took the car home and almost another month later I get a P0302 code for cylinder 2 misfire. I've only put ~70 miles on it since it has left the shop with one hard night of driving (next morning threw the code). Just wanted to pick you guys brains on what do you think it could be, Tune? O2 sensors? Mechanical Issue?

- Thanks in Advance !!

Old 07-10-2024, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

Misfire only when cold IME is usually a spark plug...gap too wide or narrow, if damaged during replacement on cylinder 2?

++++++++++++

Often, ECUs will not trigger a CEL during conditions of warmup. You didn't get the code until it caused a sufficient # of misfires after warmup.

If you have a shop pull the plug, swap positions with another cylinder to assure that the issue doesn't 'move' with the plug. Also, it is important to pull them after starting on a cold engine...that way, inspection will indicate any issues BEFORE the engine warms and the ECU begins to compensate.

Be sure to review this Topic. Especially #22.

Just my WAG...