F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F Type R Coupe- Black Pack Option

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 12:54 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default F Type R Coupe- Black Pack Option

I am going to order the F Type R Coupe and not sure whether to order the Black Pack option. The description online for the option says that the black pack "option consists of a Gloss Black finish to the front grille surround, front splitter and aero splitters, outer meshes, hood louvers, side power vents and side window surrounds".
My questions: (1) aren't the front splitter and aero splitters the same thing? (2)isn't the standard front grill meshe already gloss black, so are they saying that the 2 stock outer meshes on each side of the front grill are not gloss, unless you chose the option? (3)aren't the stock hood louvers also gloss, regardless of choosing the option?

in other words, are they saying that they just paint any chromed parts?

Old 10-26-2014, 01:12 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Jaguar's options are confusing and I don't think you get much with the black pack if you're buying the R any way.

But on this topic, some people who buy the F-Type regret not getting the design pack. Instead of coloring the lower parts of the car black, it colors them the same color as the rest of the car, which makes the car look like it's lower to the ground.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by lunagry
Jaguar's options are confusing and I don't think you get much with the black pack if you're buying the R any way.

But on this topic, some people who buy the F-Type regret not getting the design pack. Instead of coloring the lower parts of the car black, it colors them the same color as the rest of the car, which makes the car look like it's lower to the ground.
Thanks for the reply- I agree with the confusion and the local dealers don't have many cars to look at. I got online and the design pack option is evidently not available for the R type.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:42 PM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RobsnTX
Thanks for the reply- I agree with the confusion and the local dealers don't have many cars to look at. I got online and the design pack option is evidently not available for the R type.
The border around the front grill and windows come chrome standard, along with the "vents" behind the front wheels and on the hood. Black pack turns all this black. Go on the website and build an R, check and uncheck the black pack option to see the dif. Does a pretty good job rendering it.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:23 PM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

The Design Pack comes standard on the F Type R and is painted black. If you're not a fan of chrome (side vents, window surrounds, grille surround) go with the Black Pack.

The following users liked this post:
RobsnTX (10-26-2014)
Old 10-26-2014, 03:14 PM
Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

You might just consider ordering without the black pack and having the chrome wrapped with gloss black. MUCH cheaper, and if you don't like the look you can just remove it. That's the route I ended up going and it worked out well. I've got pics posted under the Pic Offer thread if you want to see what it looks like (though none close up)

Old 10-26-2014, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

I have the black pack and really like it. From the photos I've seen, yes, it's just all the chrome is painted black. The chrome works well on certain colors.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

oh, clarification. the badges (including the jaguar on the back) are not blacked out. Still that plastic chrome.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by mm767cap
You might just consider ordering without the black pack and having the chrome wrapped with gloss black. MUCH cheaper, and if you don't like the look you can just remove it. That's the route I ended up going and it worked out well. I've got pics posted under the Pic Offer thread if you want to see what it looks like (though none close up)

The black pack on the R is $400... you won't save much. Why bother?

Old 10-26-2014, 03:30 PM

I did, but I still couldn't tell if all of the parts that they say they will do in gloss black, whether some were already in gloss black (versus dull black).

Old 10-26-2014, 03:53 PM
Banned
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Lots of conflicting information here.

The Black Pack is different for each model.
and the price is different as well.
$1000 on the Base Model
$600 on the S
$400 on the R

Since the Coupe R already includes the Design Pack from lower models, most of the parts listed in the Black Pack are already upgraded to Gloss Black.

The ONLY trim parts on the Coupe R that are not already Gloss Black from the lower models are the Window Surround, Side Vents, and Front Grille Surround. All the other parts listed in the OP are already upgraded to Gloss Black on the R as standard equipment.

Regarding the comment above that the Side sills and Splitters make the car look lower to the ground when they match the body color... Conversely, many would argue that the entire style of the F-Type Coupe becomes profoundly sleeker and sexier when these aerodynamic enhancements are in fact, not the same as the body color -- as they are inclined to be overlooked by the eye when they are black instead.

-

Last edited by aJAGMan; 10-26-2014 at 04:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RobsnTX (10-26-2014)
Old 10-26-2014, 04:47 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jleuz1
The Design Pack comes standard on the F Type R and is painted black. If you're not a fan of chrome (side vents, window surrounds, grille surround) go with the Black Pack.
I wonder why they don't let you paint it the same color as the rest of the car.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by aJAGMan
Lots of conflicting information here.

The Black Pack is different for each model.
and the price is different as well.
$1000 on the Base Model
$600 on the S
$400 on the R

Since the Coupe R already includes the Design Pack from lower models, most of the parts listed in the Black Pack are already upgraded to Gloss Black.

The ONLY trim parts on the Coupe R that are not already Gloss Black from the lower models are the Window Surround, Side Vents, and Front Grille Surround. All the other parts listed in the OP are already upgraded to Gloss Black on the R as standard equipment.

Regarding the comment above that the Side sills and Splitters make the car look lower to the ground when they match the body color... Conversely, many would argue that the entire style of the F-Type Coupe becomes profoundly sleeker and sexier when these aerodynamic enhancements are in fact, not the same as the body color -- as they are inclined to be overlooked by the eye when they are black instead.

-
^why? He clearly says he's ordering an "R".

Old 10-26-2014, 05:15 PM

I did, but I still couldn't tell if all of the parts that they say they will do in gloss black, whether some were already in gloss black (versus dull black).
If you order an "R" with the black pack the only chrome you'll be left with are the badges, center wheel caps, exhaust pipes, and lug nuts. Black pack is all gloss black paint. The standard rear diffuser is like a matte black plastic.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:17 PM
Banned
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by phillyweb
The border around the front grill and windows come chrome standard, along with the "vents" behind the front wheels and on the hood. Black pack turns all this black. Go on the website and build an R, check and uncheck the black pack option to see the dif. Does a pretty good job rendering it.
Why? I presume you are referring to my reference to "misinformation".

For starters, because the OP seems unclear from the descriptions on the Jaguar site about what is included in the Black Pack on the R...
And then there is this post by you which is inaccurate. The Hood Vents are always Black, unless you choose to order them different (i.e. chrome or carbon fiber) as a separate accessory from the dealer.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by aJAGMan
Why? I presume you are referring to my reference to "misinformation".

For starters, because the OP seems unclear from the descriptions on the Jaguar site about what is included in the Black Pack on the R...
And then there is this post by you which is inaccurate. The Hood Vents are always Black, unless you choose to order them different (i.e. chrome or carbon fiber) as a separate accessory from the dealer.
No I just meant all that about everything but the "R".

My bad about the hood vents. Swear they were default chrome on the website when I built mine, but it was a while ago, there's a few thing they've changed.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:42 PM

I am going to order the F Type R Coupe and not sure whether to order the Black Pack option. The description online for the option says that the black pack "option consists of a Gloss Black finish to the front grille surround, front splitter and aero splitters, outer meshes, hood louvers, side power vents and side window surrounds".
My questions: (1) aren't the front splitter and aero splitters the same thing? (2)isn't the standard front grill meshe already gloss black, so are they saying that the 2 stock outer meshes on each side of the front grill are not gloss, unless you chose the option? (3)aren't the stock hood louvers also gloss, regardless of choosing the option?

in other words, are they saying that they just paint any chromed parts?
If you like the way a car looks with cheap plastic chrome stick with that. If you like carbon fiber that's just for show, pay for that. Black pack looks really good on white cars. It's just your personal taste. I blacked out all the badges on mine cause I thought the chrome just looked tacky. We're all invested now so let us know what you go with lol

F Type R Coupe- Black Pack Option-img_5003.jpg

Last edited by phillyweb; 10-26-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:03 AM
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

You are right on one point. It's all a matter of taste because I think the blacked out badge looks really tacky. I prefer the chrome. And the plastic chrome looks just like the classic chrome on my 67 Dino. Just my 2 cents though.

If you like the way a car looks with cheap plastic chrome stick with that. If you like carbon fiber that's just for show, pay for that. Black pack looks really good on white cars. It's just your personal taste. I blacked out all the badges on mine cause I thought the chrome just looked tacky. We're all invested now so let us know what you go with lol

Attachment 99355

Last edited by ajmarton; 10-27-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by ajmarton
You are right on one point. It's all a matter of taste because I think the blacked out badge looks really tacky. I prefer the chrome. And the plastic chrome looks just like the classic chrome on my 67 Dino. Just my 2 cents though.
Yeah the 3 options are just a matter of personal taste. I think the color and the type of the car matters too. Metal chrome looks good on old cars, just think the car looks too modern for it.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:53 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Attachment 99355
It's interesting that you think the chrome looks cheap. I think the black pack looks cheap. You see Plastic is typically matte black.

If the black pack was Black chrome then I would be all over that. If I don't like the chrome when my car arrives then I will switch to carbon fiber. But no way am i putting black plastic trim on my car.

Quick Reply: F Type R Coupe- Black Pack Option