Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type R exhaust valves stuck open

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 08:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default F-Type R exhaust valves stuck open

Hi,
I have searched the forums and only solution I could find was to replace the whole muffler (including the exhaust valves). Other say you should be happy that the valves are open all the time, but the F-Type will then fail the legal road test in a few months. So this needs to be fixed.
It's an 2016 F-Type R with a vacuum pump. No more warranty, German car. Both valves are stuck open. I can't move them by hand. I tried with PTFE spray at the actuator but since both valves fail at the same time I do not believe it is the actuator or anything related to the muffler. I suspect it is the vacuum pump.
I had the check engine light popping up some weeks ago and it disappeared. Checked the failure code today and the engine light was related to O2 sensors (P0420 and P0430). It said it was historic, not permanent.
I am not driving the F-Type that often, sometimes it is not used for 3 weeks or so. Usually I drive in dynamic mode only. However I realized the valves are stuck open when I switched off dynamic mode. They simply do not close anymore

Could the open valves be related to O2 sensor issue? The error is cleared now but valves stay open.
Is there any way to check the vacuum pump? Or anything else that could be checked? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Chris

Old 10-14-2021, 10:23 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

The vacuum pump is powered via fuse F43, under the passenger (US) footwell. Mine is noisy (as are the valves), so it's easy to tell when it's working. Valves are open 100% of the time with F43 removed or blown (or a failed vacuum pump.) There's a TSB to remove the vacuum pump and run vacuum lines back from the engine instead.

The valves have strong springs, but you should still be able to move them with your hands.

Old 10-14-2021, 10:51 AM
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Stuck open exhaust valves. Get the owners manual and find out what fuse handles the exhaust valves. If that fuse is blown or removed, the valves are “fail safe” open. I’d check that first, easy to do. Several owners have simply removed the fuse to get a stronger exhaust note.

Old 10-14-2021, 01:00 PM

Hey,
I forgot to mention that checking fuse f43 was the first thing I did. The fuse looks good and was in the correct spot. Valves are still open. I did not look up fuse f15 yet, not sure if that is relevant for my 2016.

I am just curious if it could have to do with P0420 and P0430, or is it just a coincidence that this happened at kind of the same time and I am looking and two completely separate issues?

thanks
Chris

Old 10-15-2021, 03:37 AM
Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

I had one valve stuck open. The garage soaked the valve, and kept re spraying, for hours while gently manipulating to free it up. In other words, it wasn't a mechanical/electrical fault as such, just stuck! They freed it, and works fine now.

Old 10-16-2021, 11:18 AM

I wasn't able to proceed, but another thing that jumped into my eye is that the active exhaust button becomes active automatically when starting the engine. So it realizes the valves are open

Old 10-16-2021, 11:50 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Suboshi
I wasn't able to proceed, but another thing that jumped into my eye is that the active exhaust button becomes active automatically when starting the engine. So it realizes the valves are open
Is that because you're in dynamic mode and you haven't had the software update that disables it at each restart? I don't think the switch monitors the state of the valves, just sets the circuitry to enable them to open.

Old 10-17-2021, 05:47 AM

Nope, afaik the dynamic mode disables after 6 hours not using the car. I was definitely not in dynamic mode.
Dynamic mode is "off", active exhaust is "off", when starting the car dynamic mode stays "off" but active exhaust button comes "on". For that reason I believe it must be either the vacuum pump having issues or a control module. Can't find anything about it.
If the valves are stuck, how would the car know that the valves are open and switch active exhaust to "on". It is something else causing the issue.
Chris

Old 10-17-2021, 11:09 AM

So this is the Info I found regarding the functionality of the active exhaust vacuum pump functionality:
The solenoid valve is connected to ground through the engine control module. When the ECM determines the exhaust valves require closing it connects the solenoid valve to ground. When the solenoid valve energizes it opens the pipe connection from the reservoir and vacuum pump to the exhaust valves; and closes the atmospheric vent. The depression at the reservoir and vacuum pump is then sensed at the exhaust valves, via the check valve, and the exhaust valves close
So the valves close via command of the ECM. I suspect it is somewhere between the ECM, the solenoid valve or the reservoir. Will see if I can check that someday next week.
If anybody can guide me through that I would really appreciate it.
thanks
Chris

Old 10-17-2021, 12:15 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Hello everyone,
If I take out the F43 fuse, is the flap always open as far as it is during a cold start? My cat sounds mega with a cold start, but as soon as I shift into gear, it becomes significantly quieter! Does that also work with the R AWD MY 2017? Do I get other problems, error codes, etc.? Or does the car just get louder and the flap control already? Thank you for this assessment ...
BR
Andi

Old 10-17-2021, 12:37 PM

Hi Andi
You are hijacking my thread
As far as I understand f43 only works until MY16. I have read threads where pulling that fuse immediately threw errors on later cars since the vacuum for the valves is coming from the engine and not from a vacuum pump anymore. You might want to try, and once you get errors just put it back in. Someone might correct me
Chris

Old 10-17-2021, 01:08 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Andi Jaguar G
Hello everyone,
If I take out the F43 fuse, is the flap always open as far as it is during a cold start? My cat sounds mega with a cold start, but as soon as I shift into gear, it becomes significantly quieter! Does that also work with the R AWD MY 2017? Do I get other problems, error codes, etc.? Or does the car just get louder and the flap control already? Thank you for this assessment ...
If you're in dynamic mode the noise shouldn't decrease when you put it in gear, th valves should stay open all the time (subject to any MY-specific software updates that may have been made). With dynamic off, the valves will close when you shift into gear because it follows the engine revs - viz. don't open until 4,000 rpm.

Old 10-17-2021, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

Doesn't noise just decrease when you put it in gear as revs drop (so less noise)? That's why when I start early morning I immediately put it in reverse as it quiets down the startup roar...

Old 10-24-2021, 11:31 AM

Hi,

before this gets too much off topic, let me explain to you what I did to make the valves open and close again.

First of all, it was the valves that were really stuck, and I was able to free them.

I initially expected the vacuum pump or the solenoid to be the root cause of the issue. However, when I removed the left rear wheel and the cover I did not find a pump as you can see in the picture below. Then I focused on the valves again.
As I mentioned before, my F-Type is a 2016, and it turned out is has no vacuum pump.

There is no vacuum pump!

I tried to use Ballistol PTFE and Ballistol Universal Oil the other days, however, I could not even move the valves by hand.

Now what I used was WD40 and a wooden stick.
I sprayed WD 40 on the actuator and into the exhaust at the valves directly.
Be careful, and don't do that with a hot exhaust!!! And yes I know WD40 is not the best to use, but apparently it supported in freeing up the stuck valves. I just need to find a way to get rid of it now.

Then I used the wooden stick (wood to avoid damage in the exhaust) which I put into the exhaust right up to the valves and gently tried to move the valve. DO NOT USE BRUTE FORCE HERE!
It just took a short moment, then the valves could be to moved!

Now I need to get rid of the WD40 and spray proper spray on the actuator. I also need to find a way to clean the exhaust from inside, maybe a long brush, to remove the carbon that build up there, and maybe even spray the valves in the exhaust. Just need to think about heat resistance, I do not want to spray anything in there that will start burning once the exhaust is hot.

I can now freely move the valves with either the stick in the exhaust, or by hand with the actuator. A first test drive proved that my work was successful, valves open and close as expected.

To end up with a good result, I will continue spraying PTFE on the actuator. I might even try to move the valves from inside the exhaust a few more times. Plus I will try to clean the inside of the exhaust.

I uploaded two videos to youtube where I explained what I did:

keep on PTFE-spraying
Chris

Last edited by Suboshi; 10-25-2021 at 01:09 AM.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:26 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Good work!

Old 11-01-2021, 09:09 AM
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Potential thread hijack here, but have any of you noticed the exhaust the exhaust valve opening (by itself) on cold starts, like 10-30 seconds into the warm-up cycle when the RPMs are still elevated? The exhaust switch light doesn't come on or anything, but the exhaust definitely suddenly gets louder by itself (not sure if that is a telltale sign of a failing valve or solenoid or spring or what). And if you drive off in that "mode" the drone is actually worse than with exhaust in Dynamic (open) mode (almost like a 3rd mode that is not normally selectable?). But if you press the exhaust switch, it "wakes" up and fixes itself again. Anybody ever experience that before?

Old 11-01-2021, 09:34 PM
Received 447 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by gearFX
Potential thread hijack here, but have any of you noticed the exhaust the exhaust valve opening (by itself) on cold starts, like 10-30 seconds into the warm-up cycle when the RPMs are still elevated? The exhaust switch light doesn't come on or anything, but the exhaust definitely suddenly gets louder by itself (not sure if that is a telltale sign of a failing valve or solenoid or spring or what). And if you drive off in that "mode" the drone is actually worse than with exhaust in Dynamic (open) mode (almost like a 3rd mode that is not normally selectable?). But if you press the exhaust switch, it "wakes" up and fixes itself again. Anybody ever experience that before?
This is normal behavior. The valves are vacuum activated and are always "open" on start-up until enough vacuum pressure comes online to close them. So they will be louder on initial start-up and then they close.

Old 11-03-2021, 12:12 PM
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder Dump
This is normal behavior. The valves are vacuum activated and are always "open" on start-up until enough vacuum pressure comes online to close them. So they will be louder on initial start-up and then they close.
I think I may not be describing the situation properly. I'm talking about them getting even louder than at start-up (louder than even Dynamic mode, like there is some kind of additional bypass or by "open" Jaguar is really only opening it 75% of the way, but in these rare cases it sometimes goes all the way to 100%). Unless you are saying it takes a few seconds to build up vacuum? But then why does the exhaust not get louder 95% of the time? Thank you for the reply btw, just trying to understand how the system works. Here's a different way to describe what I am observing:

90% of the time, start car in Comfort mode = exhaust normal dB
5% of the time, start car in Dynamic or with exhaust on/open = exhaust at louder dB
5% of the time, start car in Comfort mode and after a few seconds, exhaust will change tone by itself and get immediately louder, to an excessive dB (louder than Dynamic) with lots more drone once you start driving.

Last edited by gearFX; 11-03-2021 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-03-2021, 01:45 PM
scm
Veteran Member

I think "normal behaviour" varies wildy depending on the MY and what software updates have been performed. The newer models do seem to deviate more in their behaviour from the previously accepted norm.

Old 11-03-2021, 03:40 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Suboshi
Hi,

before this gets too much off topic, let me explain to you what I did to make the valves open and close again.

First of all, it was the valves that were really stuck, and I was able to free them.

I initially expected the vacuum pump or the solenoid to be the root cause of the issue. However, when I removed the left rear wheel and the cover I did not find a pump as you can see in the picture below. Then I focused on the valves again.
As I mentioned before, my F-Type is a 2016, and it turned out is has no vacuum pump.

There is no vacuum pump!

I tried to use Ballistol PTFE and Ballistol Universal Oil the other days, however, I could not even move the valves by hand.

Now what I used was WD40 and a wooden stick.
I sprayed WD 40 on the actuator and into the exhaust at the valves directly.
Be careful, and don't do that with a hot exhaust!!! And yes I know WD40 is not the best to use, but apparently it supported in freeing up the stuck valves. I just need to find a way to get rid of it now.

Then I used the wooden stick (wood to avoid damage in the exhaust) which I put into the exhaust right up to the valves and gently tried to move the valve. DO NOT USE BRUTE FORCE HERE!
It just took a short moment, then the valves could be to moved!

Now I need to get rid of the WD40 and spray proper spray on the actuator. I also need to find a way to clean the exhaust from inside, maybe a long brush, to remove the carbon that build up there, and maybe even spray the valves in the exhaust. Just need to think about heat resistance, I do not want to spray anything in there that will start burning once the exhaust is hot.

I can now freely move the valves with either the stick in the exhaust, or by hand with the actuator. A first test drive proved that my work was successful, valves open and close as expected.

To end up with a good result, I will continue spraying PTFE on the actuator. I might even try to move the valves from inside the exhaust a few more times. Plus I will try to clean the inside of the exhaust.

I uploaded two videos to youtube where I explained what I did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-6IwuRws7c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W098OcYYZiA

keep on PTFE-spraying
Chris

Hi Suboshi,

I am facing the same issue as yours, my 2016 R Active exhaust is stuck at open. Did you manage to fix your issue?

My car is out of warranty and I have a service scheduled next week. I suspect the dealer will suggest replacing the muffler.

Quick Reply: F-Type R exhaust valves stuck open