Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type R first drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts
Default F-Type R first drive

I purchased an R from Jaguar Land Rover Metro West in Toronto, Canada back in February and picked it up today.
For those curious:
.Italian Racing Red
.Jet/Camel seats
.Leather package
.Camel seat belts
.Gyrodyne black and diamond wheel
.Alloy spare
.Heated windshield
.Illuminated tread plate
I also had Xpel Ultimate added on parts of the car, but thats another topic for anyone interested.
Also, we used earth magnets to attach the front plate and I'm not sure I like the look ... ie: the attachment should be ok, but its just a bare plate with no border.

The car handles great, better even than my XKR that I traded in, although the OPP (provincial police) where out today even thicker than normal with the 'road tax', so I guess they must be short on quota.. I had to be very careful.
I don't really 'track' the car, so my focus is on handling with our roads up here, which is about an hour north of Toronto and so far its fabulous, but only 100 Kilom. on the car and I think it will feel even better as I get used to it. Actually I did go to Homestead speedway for the Jaguar race academy a few years ago and it was really good..not sure at this point if I'll do it again.
The car came in with optional black diamond wheels and I had wanted the standards ($1,100.) .... I am pleased to say that Dominic at Metro Jaguar picked up the cost immediately or offered to order the others in... I actually like these better now that I see them in person so I stayed with them. The salesperson Dominic Bertucci has been great to work with.

I will try to get some pictures going, as soon as I can borrow my wifes camera phone and figure out how to attach them here.

Interesting how so many other drivers, pretty well all male, make sure they speed by me if the opportunity presents itself or even tail gate. If I had one of my other cars out, this would never happen. Curious behaviour. I just blow them into the weeds once and awhile for fun.
Lawrence

The following 2 users liked this post by Mulmur:
jleuz1 (05-31-2014), Lothar52 (05-31-2014)
Old 06-01-2014, 07:52 AM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

Lawrence, I am also thinking of switching to an F Type R from my XKR. Looking forward to seeing your pics and also your thoughts of the pros and cons of the switch. Has anybody else switched? Please chime in.

Jack

Old 06-01-2014, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jleuz1
Lawrence, I am also thinking of switching to an F Type R from my XKR. Looking forward to seeing your pics and also your thoughts of the pros and cons of the switch. Has anybody else switched? Please chime in.

Jack
So far, the biggest difference with the F type R; quite a bit more acceleration, quicker steering response and a bit firmer ride, flatter in corners, a lot more sound from the tail, personally I think it looks better although both cars are beautiful. Generally much more of a sport car than a GT car. On the down side is less cabin room and trunk room, although the seating positions have lots of room for me at 6' 1".. if someone was a lot taller it could be an issue.
I believe the electronics ie: differential, torque vectoring etc.. are all more sophisticated on the F as well. Overall, I'm really happy with it. My dealer is having a formal F type launch on June 25th, so I expect most or all dealers will and this would give you a chance to drive one.

I have seen comments regarding the audio quality and my own impression is that with the R, we are supposed to have the upgraded radio ( I assume I do ) and it seems that the source is very critical to the quality of sound on this system, more so than others I've had. For instance, I have only listened to C.D.'s and a couple of classic rock stations and determined the following.
C.D.'S: When I first played a C.D. I was concerned about the quality of sound as it all seemed to come out from the one center front speaker. What I did was, first to change the balance more to the back which brought in more surround and this applied to any source. Next, I went into the menu and found three key settings. Meridian, Dolby, DTS. By switching these settings as the music played I was easily able to really improve the sound. For my ear, the C.D.'s are best on DTS.
Radio: For this source I found the Meridian much better.
Its a small cabin and perhaps this has something to do with quality as well.. at this point, with the settings changed, I'm reasonably happy with it, but not blown away.

A few things that I still need to sort out or find out more about:
..Gas cover does not lock and I believe the Euro. ones do, so not sure why these don't, although I'm not overly concerned with this issue.
..The system takes one C.D. at a time only, yet you can store up to 10 discs in its memory and I simply have not done this yet. Curious to see if I can select only certain tracks of each C.D. for storage.
..I have the Vision Pack option and so the back up camera is great for visibility with this car as it is otherwise pretty meager. Last night I could not seem to notice the headlights swivel at low speed, and as they should with this option, I need to check it out further. It was not dark enough earlier when I was out on the main road to test out the automatic high beam/low beam dimming.
..The manual says that to charge the battery, it must be removed from the car. I don't drive it much in the winter up here, so I usually put a charger on from time to time. I can't see having to take the battery out every time I want to do this. Can't understand the reasoning, except it might have something to do the with the safety issue's around charging a battery in a confined space due to the gasses and possible fire. Anyway, I plan to have a talk with the service guys.
.. I have the optional spare and I planned to only use it for long trips, assuming we could otherwise travel light (trunk space), but wanted the tire repair kit for times when we took the spare out. Will speak to the dealer about this, not sure why we can't order both from the factory.

Will get pictures up as soon as I can, but it will be a few days.
Lawrence.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mulmur:
Dremorg (06-01-2014), jleuz1 (06-07-2014)
Old 06-01-2014, 11:55 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulmur
..The manual says that to charge the battery, it must be removed from the car. I don't drive it much in the winter up here, so I usually put a charger on from time to time. I can't see having to take the battery out every time I want to do this.
Jaguar sells a trickle-charger kit for the F-Type. I have it installed in my V8S convertible. There's a thread on here w/ pictures.

Maybe something different between coupe and convertible that makes the kit unsuitable for the coupe? That would be a shame.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tai4de2
Jaguar sells a trickle-charger kit for the F-Type. I have it installed in my V8S convertible. There's a thread on here w/ pictures.

Maybe something different between coupe and convertible that makes the kit unsuitable for the coupe? That would be a shame.
OK, thanks, that could be an option for me. I usually just give it a charge once a month, but the trickle would be fine.
Lawrence.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Default Pictures for the ftype R

Assuming the attachments works, these are a few pictures of the new car; the interior picture did not turn out right, it doesn't really reflect the colour.
A few of the wheels due to some earlier questions regarding various wheels.
Lawrence

Attached Thumbnails F-Type R first drive-photo-1-copy.jpg   F-Type R first drive-photo-2.jpg   F-Type R first drive-photo-3.jpg   F-Type R first drive-photo-4.jpg   F-Type R first drive-photo-5.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
jleuz1 (06-07-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

Assuming the attachments works, these are a few pictures of the new car; the interior picture did not turn out right, it doesn't really reflect the colour.
Lawrence
I should add that the seat belt itself is a bit less washed out and closer to the actual colour of the seat and stitching.
Lawrence.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:37 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Lawrence
Congrats! Beautiful! Drive it in good health!