Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type R intake/tube issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 07:16 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default F-Type R intake/tune issue?

Hello all,

I’m looking for some help and guidance. I installed a Mina Gallery upper intake tube, Mina Galley’s lower intake, and VAP Tune. When I’m cruising on the highway (75ish mph) and stomp on the gas, it downshifts and when it hits 6k’ish RPMs it starts to bounce like it’s hitting the rev limiter and won’t shift unless I come off the gas or shift manually. When I put the stock file back on the problem goes away. Chris from VAP has been great and is extremely helpful, he is sending me numerous updated tunes until the issue goes away. Has anyone else experienced this? What are your thoughts/opinions? And do you think it could be more so a tube issue or intake issue or both?

At this time I’m unable to upload the video clips.

Last edited by F-Type R 16; 07-28-2020 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Attachment not adding on
Old 07-28-2020, 07:30 PM

For some reason the video clips are not uploading or attaching...

Old 07-29-2020, 01:24 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by F-Type R 16
For some reason the video clips are not uploading or attaching...
Post them on YouTube and then link them.

The following users liked this post:
F-Type R 16 (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 07:46 AM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

Hello all,

I’m looking for some help and guidance. I installed a Mina Gallery upper intake tube, Mina Galley’s lower intake, and VAP Tune. When I’m cruising on the highway (75ish mph) and stomp on the gas, it downshifts and when it hits 6k’ish RPMs it starts to bounce like it’s hitting the rev limiter and won’t shift unless I come off the gas or shift manually. When I put the stock file back on the problem goes away. Chris from VAP has been great and is extremely helpful, he is sending me numerous updated tunes until the issue goes away. Has anyone else experienced this? What are your thoughts/opinions? And do you think it could be more so a tube issue or intake issue or both?

At this time I’m unable to upload the video clips.
If the problem is not present with the Mina setup and the stock tune, but is present with the Mina setup with the VAP tune, then I would think it is related to the VAP tune and not the Mina intake system.

F-Type R 16 (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax1911
If the problem is not present with the Mina setup and the stock tune, but is present with the Mina setup with the VAP tune, then I would think it is related to the VAP tune and not the Mina intake system.
+1 - Sounds like you have already identified the issue. Without tune(stock file) no issues, with tune issues. Many of us have both intakes and no tune, and NO issue....So sounds like a tune issue.

Also, these intakes "MAY" create a slightly higher air flow (maybe)...but mainly just increase sound, so I cannot imagine with or without a tune, that the intakes would do anything, unless they are not seated properly and you are somehow getting unmetered air into your system.

So leaks would be the only thing the intakes could possibly add to the issue in my opinion.

Good luck.
DC

F-Type R 16 (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 08:21 AM
Default Video Link

Uploaded the video on YouTube, here’s the link

Old 07-29-2020, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by JacksonvilleJag
Post them on YouTube and then link them.
great idea, didn’t even think of it. Thanks I just posted it.

JacksonvilleJag (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

great idea, didn’t even think of it. Thanks I just posted it.
Hard to tell from this clip, but from what I can see/hear, it looks/sounds like the rev limiter was lowered with the tune. Again, hard to discern, but sounds like bouncing off the rev limiter, but it is not to redline yet....rev limiter lowered (they can be changed with tunes).

You could probably hear better than I can on the video...just my thought.

DC

Old 07-29-2020, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Therock88
Hard to tell from this clip, but from what I can see/hear, it looks/sounds like the rev limiter was lowered with the tune. Again, hard to discern, but sounds like bouncing off the rev limiter, but it is not to redline yet....rev limiter lowered (they can be changed with tunes).

You could probably hear better than I can on the video...just my thought.

DC
That was my idea, when I spoke to Chris/VAP he said I have the standard tune he sends out for these cars and that the rev limiter is set currently. We’re both mind boggled but he’s working with me to find the issue out and fix it.

Old 07-29-2020, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

That was my idea, when I spoke to Chris/VAP he said I have the standard tune he sends out for these cars and that the rev limiter is set currently. We’re both mind boggled but he’s working with me to find the issue out and fix it.
Yeah....What I have found with Jaguars (I am much more familiar with Porsches and never had this issue), is you cannot assume ANYTHING (even on same model) is standard/consistent. Seems like they (JLR) use up whatever they have and then re-tool during assembly. Likely why my VAP AWD R Lowering springs that worked on 100's of cars, dropped mine like a Civic! Turned out my Factory stock F-Type R AWD, has RWD front springs...Other examples as well.

Good luck with it!

DC

F-Type R 16 (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 01:28 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Could it be that the tables are not setup for the free flow of the Mina intake, i.e it's setup for the OEM intake.

I know it's a long shot and doubt if it's really quantifiable, but seems like the only odd variable out.
So many people have the VAP tune and OEM intakes without any issues...

Old 07-29-2020, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tel
Could it be that the tables are not setup for the free flow of the Mina intake, i.e it's setup for the OEM intake.

I know it's a long shot and doubt if it's really quantifiable, but seems like the only odd variable out.
So many people have the VAP tune and OEM intakes without any issues...
Chris was saying that too but I informed him of all the mods and he said it shouldn’t be a problem but it may be worth trying to put the OEM intakes back on. I just can’t swap them out at the moment due to have my garage floor redone. But again, lots of people have intakes with the VAP and no issues too. It’s just a weird case in my opinion.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Chris was saying that too but I informed him of all the mods and he said it shouldn’t be a problem but it may be worth trying to put the OEM intakes back on. I just can’t swap them out at the moment due to have my garage floor redone. But again, lots of people have intakes with the VAP and no issues too. It’s just a weird case in my opinion.
The only significant difference I can think of is the relocation of the MAF sensor on the lower Mina intake. That might be creating an issue for a tuned engine.

Another few weeks we’ll see if we have the same problem on the V6.

F-Type R 16 (07-29-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The only significant difference I can think of is the relocation of the MAF sensor on the lower Mina intake. That might be creating an issue for a tuned engine.

That’s a good thought but under WOT the MAF doesn’t come into play, right? Wouldn’t it cause drive-ability issues throughout the RPMs and possibly throw a code? I’m stumped haha when I’m able to I’m going to put the stock intake on just to make sure.

Old 07-30-2020, 12:59 PM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

What's on the horizon in to weeks? My upper Mina intake should arrive tomorrow, woo hoo!

F-Type R 16 (08-10-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by SS4PK
What's on the horizon in to weeks? My upper Mina intake should arrive tomorrow, woo hoo!
As soon as my lower Mina intake arrives, I’ll be installing it. Hopefully I don’t suffer the same cut out at 6000 rpm.

F-Type R 16 (08-10-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 05:42 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

As soon as my lower Mina intake arrives, I’ll be installing it. Hopefully I don’t suffer the same cut out at 6000 rpm.
You will, however, suffer the same non-auto upshift the OP complained about ...

Old 07-30-2020, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Pray tell, how does one obtain this mythical Mina Gallery lower intake?
Every time I check their site, including 20 seconds ago, there is no trace of it!

Old 07-30-2020, 08:01 PM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Every time I check their site, including 20 seconds ago, there is no trace of it!
crickets, I think that means if Unhinged told you he would have to send someone down under to snuff you out.

F-Type R 16 (08-10-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
They do not have them on their product list yet. I believe you have to give them a call to order them as they are a newer product.

International callers: 1-818-342-0273

You can also email them @ info@minagallery.com

DC

F-Type R 16 (08-10-2020)

Quick Reply: F-Type R intake/tube issue?