F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type R on it's way to Hennessy

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 10:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hennessey? I would't trust them to change a tire. Good luck!

What exactly did Hennessey do to make himself so bitterly despised? : cars

Old 09-30-2014, 12:01 PM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by sdpauly
Hennessey? I would't trust them to change a tire. Good luck!

What exactly did Hennessey do to make himself so bitterly despised? : cars
Yeah I've read the horror stories from everyone that knows a guy that knows a guy that had a bad experience. I've never met mr. Hennessy myself and I only know 2 guys with tuned zl1s that have dealt with the company. They haven't had any issues so hopefully I have the same luck.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Another way to look at it is this: Hennessey is now under a lot of scrutiny. He's spent a lot of time/energy rebuilding his reputation. Would be very unlikely he tries another stunt like that.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by shift
Another way to look at it is this: Hennessey is now under a lot of scrutiny. He's spent a lot of time/energy rebuilding his reputation. Would be very unlikely he tries another stunt like that.
No matter who you use there is a risk involved. Onviously I hope everything goes smooth. I also think it's pretty ironic that people on a Jaguar forum are discussing another companies reliability issues.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by phillyweb
No matter who you use there is a risk involved. Onviously I hope everything goes smooth. I also think it's pretty ironic that people on a Jaguar forum are discussing another companies reliability issues.
In fairness, this isn't about reliability. No one (at least not me) is questioning Hennessey's reliability or work. He obviously has done some amazing work (even if it's not my cup of tea). But there were seriously charges/questions of theft that concerns some people about this ethics. Like you, I have no dealings with Hennessey. Only read about the crazy part re-selling incident online.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:20 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Also you have to keep in mind that the main reason you know about Hennessey's supposed bad work is because he's famous. If my garage down the street ruins my car and I go on Reddit or to a reporter and complain about it, they wouldn't give a ****. Not sure if a complaint about Euro would get national attention.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:25 PM

In fairness, this isn't about reliability. No one (at least not me) is questioning Hennessey's reliability or work. He obviously has done some amazing work (even if it's not my cup of tea). But there were seriously charges/questions of theft that concerns some people about this ethics. Like you, I have no dealings with Hennessey. Only read about the crazy part re-selling incident online.
Yeah that whole part re-selling stuff seems crazy. Not saying it's not true or does not happen.

How could you not have your old parts put in your trunk or shipped back to you. Just seems so obvious of a theft.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by lunagry
Also you have to keep in mind that the main reason you know about Hennessey's supposed bad work is because he's famous. If my garage down the street ruins my car and I go on Reddit or to a reporter and complain about it, they wouldn't give a ****. Not sure if a complaint about Euro would get national attention.
Yeah and it's the whole tell 100 people a bad story about someone and they'll all repeat it. Tell 'em a good one and 2 or 3 might. If say there was a day back in highschool where you got a 100 on a test and punched someone in the face what story would everyone spread?

Old 09-30-2014, 01:31 PM
Banned

I wasn't really bothered by a mechanic re-selling parts that the original owner didn't really have any use for anymore, and probably didn't want.

With mechanics, who as a profession generally have a really bad reputation, my concern is: (a) a mechanic claiming to be able to do work that he can't do, just because he wants my money, and then charging me to fix his errors (without ever acknowledging that they were his errors) or not fixing his errors. This happens a lot with performance cars and their weird engineering; (b) a mechanic finding problems that do not exist so he can charge me to fix them; (c) a mechanic overcharging me for cheap parts like a 400% markup; I could go on and on.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:36 PM

I wasn't really bothered by a mechanic re-selling parts that the original owner didn't really have any use for anymore, and probably didn't want.

With mechanics, who as a profession generally have a really bad reputation, my concern is: (a) a mechanic claiming to be able to do work that he can't do, just because he wants my money, and then charging me to fix his errors (without ever acknowledging that they were his errors) or not fixing his errors. This happens a lot with performance cars and their weird engineering; (b) a mechanic finding problems that do not exist so he can charge me to fix them; (c) a mechanic overcharging me for cheap parts like a 400% markup; I could go on and on.
Yeah. I'll let everyone know if they try and pull anything.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member

BTW, do you have an ETA on when the work will be done? Very exciting, can't wait for the results.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:42 PM

BTW, do you have an ETA on when the work will be done? Very exciting, can't wait for the results.
Estimate I was given was about 3 weeks. Could be earlier or later depending on how busy they are. And then transport time.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:50 PM
Received 320 Likes on 218 Posts

I wonder if they could put up videos of them tuning/dynoing your car like they do for some of their other clients

Edit: I'm guessing this will be more or less the results for your car since I think the two jags have basically the same engines.

2014 Jaguar XFR-S Baseline Dyno and Quarter Mile Testing - YouTube
Looks like my 15y old Jag with 117K miles engine wins new XFR-S

Old 09-30-2014, 02:37 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Hennessey has a sketchy reputation. In the world of GT-Rs, the king platform for tuners, no one would have Hennessey come near their car. Hennessey is a joke on the GT-R forum. So many better tuners around for the GT-R. No one with a GT-R would put a Hennessey badge on their car to degrade it. What I'm saying is Hennessey is certainly no better than any other tuner and is probably worse because for the Jaguar 5L SC engine a lot of the bugs have already been worked out by other tuners experience with the 5L SC engine, Jaguar TCM, and Jaguar ECM check sums and map reverting parameters.

Check out the XKR forum for tuning the 5L SC engine. Many disappointments and unanswered questions. Spend a few thousand on a tune with Hennessey and then deal with them to fix your blown engine because your warranty would be void. Google Hennessey on their reputation for looking after their customers. Throw $100K on a car and another $?,??? to destroy to it. Before you have your car tuned read the Hennessey contract. This should be interesting in 12 months.

Last edited by DGL; 09-30-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:56 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Read my book... Spend a smart $600 to save your $100K or recklessly spend $?,??? to blow it up.

Attached Thumbnails F-Type R on it's way to Hennessy-97078d1412022834-f-type-r-its-way-hennessy-image.jpg  

Last edited by DGL; 09-30-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by DGL
Read my book... Spend a smart $600 to save your $100K or recklessly spend $?,??? to blow it up.
I'm glad I didn't buy a Nissan, wouldn't want to be a joke on a gtr forum.

Contract says 3/36000.

No tuner has a perfect record. One friend's boost logic gtr has had issues and the other one hasn't. It happens. If eurocharged or whoever had a spotless record they'd be charging double what they are. You think they're selling that stuff cheap cause they want to be your friend?

Old 09-30-2014, 04:24 PM
Banned

That's surprising that some GTR forums don't like him. In passing I read somewhere that his 1000hp GTR upgrade is possibly the best GTR upgrade out there right now (maybe he has really good marketing folks lol). His website shows a bunch of GTRs having gotten his 700 and 800hp upgrades. But I think his packages are relatively expensive. Like this guy will give you a 1,200 hp GTR for only $65,000 which seems like a good deal for the amount of work involved. http://alphaperformance.com/packages...mance-package/

By the way, do you know why people tune their GTRs so much? No other car seems to have as many packages.

Last edited by lunagry; 09-30-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:38 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

That's surprising that some GTR forums don't like him.

In passing I read somewhere that his 1000hp GTR upgrade is possibly the best GTR upgrade out there right now (maybe he has really good marketing folks lol). His website shows a bunch of GTRs having gotten his 700 and 800hp upgrades.

But I think his packages are really expensive. Like this guy will give you a 1,200 hp GTR for only $65,000 which seems like a good deal for the amount of work involved. Alpha Performance R35 GT-R Alpha 10 Performance Package

He is self advertising his own product. No one who knows anything about the GT-R platform will use Hennessey. Yes, alphaperformance.com is one of the top GT-R tuners. If you were to go to the gtr forum, http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/, you will see no one with a GT-R will go near Hennessey. So many better shops with far better reputations and so much less expensive. Hennessy is all about taking your money and self marketing his product with no customer service.

Last edited by DGL; 09-30-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:42 PM

That's surprising that some GTR forums don't like him. In passing I read somewhere that his 1000hp GTR upgrade is possibly the best GTR upgrade out there right now (maybe he has really good marketing folks lol). His website shows a bunch of GTRs having gotten his 700 and 800hp upgrades. But I think his packages are relatively expensive. Like this guy will give you a 1,200 hp GTR for only $65,000 which seems like a good deal for the amount of work involved. Alpha Performance R35 GT-R Alpha 10 Performance Package

By the way, do you know why people tune their GTRs so much? No other car seems to have as many packages.
I'd say it's just as tuned as mustangs. One of the boost logic guys out here has 1200hp in his gtr and it'll have days where it makes consistent run after run with no issues. And then next week something goes 1st time down the track. But yeah his is well over $200k. Yeah Hennessy has some nice ones on their page.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:43 PM
Banned

Yes he's good at getting his name out there.

Out of curiosity why did you sell your 2014 GTR? Does anyone get the 1,200 to 1,800 horsepower tunes on the GTR?

Quick Reply: F-Type R on it's way to Hennessy