F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type R on it's way to Hennessy

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 04:47 PM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
He is self advertising his own product. No one who knows anything about the GT-R platform will use Hennessey. Yes, alphaperformance.com is one of the top GT-R tuners. If you were to go to the gtr forum, http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/index....&fromMainBar=1 , you will see no one their will go near Hennessey. So many better shops with far better reputations and so much less expensive. Hennessy is all about take your money and self marketing his product.

And if I go to a saleen forum no one there is using roush. If I go to a android forum no one there is using an iPhone, I might bend with 60lbs of force. Jaguar has had the same exact reputation as you're saying Hennessy used to have. So that would mean everyone here is an idiot for taking a risk with a company that can't figure out how to paint a friggin side skirt for a year and a half.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, to be fair, Jaguar never had a reputation for stealing from their customers. Quality and reliability issues sure, but they weren't thieves.

Hennesey on several occasions was caught stealing parts from one car to build others, giving customers the run-around for over a year, overcharging for upgrades that were never installed, etc... Some really shady and dishonest stuff that should have put him out of business years ago.

If you still want to go through with it, more power to ya... But do some research first because there are a lot of problems with Hennesey.

They didn't earn the moniker "Hennescrewed" for nothing.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:20 PM

Update: Car was picked up by transport company on Friday night. Hennessy called today and said it arrived this afternoon and they covered it with big signs that read "do not detail" as I requested. So far they've been nothing but professional in the month I've been emailing and talking to them. No issues with any of the paperwork or contract.

Anytime I have a car in for service or mods I always tell 'em not to wash or detail it. The thought of some intern or apprentice at the dealership grinding a dirty rag he just used on 16 other cars in the lot across my paint makes my eye twitch.

Anyway, the transport truck driver picking it up Friday wipes down the 360 scuderia and db9 he just unloaded to put mine on with windex and a old tshirt! Had a little talk with him about why that's a bad idea and no matter how dusty my car gets in the transport do not wipe it down with windex.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by sdpauly
Well, to be fair, Jaguar never had a reputation for stealing from their customers. Quality and reliability issues sure, but they weren't thieves.

Hennesey on several occasions was caught stealing parts from one car to build others, giving customers the run-around for over a year, overcharging for upgrades that were never installed, etc... Some really shady and dishonest stuff that should have put him out of business years ago.

If you still want to go through with it, more power to ya... But do some research first because there are a lot of problems with Hennesey.

They didn't earn the moniker "Hennescrewed" for nothing.
Like I said, I read all the horror stories. I chose to trust the two people I actually know who have dealt with them recently and aren't just a username on a forum off the 3rd page of a google search for Hennessy sucks. No I'm not talking about this one, and I get what you're saying, it is a reasonable concern and I appreciate it. But the positive info I have about them from friends I trust outweighed the zero info I had from anyone I trust about any of the tuners that have their pulleys on clearance this month. Trust me if they do something wrong I'll post it and eurocharged fanboy up there can rub it in my face. And then I'll just throw some more $$ at them and problem solved everyone is happy again.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:56 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by phillyweb
And if I go to a saleen forum no one there is using roush. If I go to a android forum no one there is using an iPhone, I might bend with 60lbs of force. Jaguar has had the same exact reputation as you're saying Hennessy used to have. So that would mean everyone here is an idiot for taking a risk with a company that can't figure out how to paint a friggin side skirt for a year and a half.

I don't follow this logic. Anyone on the GTR forum, Jaguar forum or any other forum has no affiliation with Hennessey just like all the other independent tuners. Some are just more honest, have a better reputation, have a better product and are more reliable than others.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:15 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Update: Car was picked up by transport company on Friday night. Hennessy called today and said it arrived this afternoon and they covered it with big signs that read "do not detail" as I requested. So far they've been nothing but professional in the month I've been emailing and talking to them. No issues with any of the paperwork or contract.

Anytime I have a car in for service or mods I always tell 'em not to wash or detail it. The thought of some intern or apprentice at the dealership grinding a dirty rag he just used on 16 other cars in the lot across my paint makes my eye twitch.

Anyway, the transport truck driver picking it up Friday wipes down the 360 scuderia and db9 he just unloaded to put mine on with windex and a old tshirt! Had a little talk with him about why that's a bad idea and no matter how dusty my car gets in the transport do not wipe it down with windex.

I understand you being **** about the care of your car while in someone else's hands. Someone in a few swipes can destroy a good deal job. I wish you were more **** about your selection of tuners. I hope Hennessey treats you good to your satisfaction.

Please be aware of some of the problems experienced on tuning the 5L SC engine in the XKR:

1) The ECM has several stock maps. If your ECM detects that some parameters are being exceeded such s boost, timing etc. it will overwrite your expensively installed Hennessey map with the stored stock map. If Hennessey is not familiar with the Jaguar ECM there is a good chance you will loose your tune.

2) The TCM will bleed off power if torque parameters are exceeded.

3) There are many more. You will need to do some research.

The Jaguar 5L SC engines are all the same. XKR, XKR-S, XKR-S GT, F-type V8S, F-Type R. All reputable tuners use the base XKR-S or F-Type R map as base and tweak it a bit to gain 50hp or so. Jaguar models with the 510 hp tune have the most to gain with a remap. Again the tuner needs to know what he is doing to keep your tune current. The TCM will need to be tuned also as to not interfere.

With the F-type R being a new model I hope Hennessey is not using you to gain expertise on the car. I certainly would not trust them with my car. I hope you don't have more to worry about than some guy putting scratches and swirl marks in your paint.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by DGL
I understand you being **** about the care of your car while in someone else's hands. Someone in a few swipes can destroy a good deal job. I wish you were more **** about your selection of tuners. I hope Hennessey treats you good to your satisfaction.

Please be aware of some of the problems experienced on tuning the 5L SC engine in the XKR:

1) The ECM has several stock maps. If your ECM detects that some parameters are being exceeded such s boost, timing etc. it will overwrite your expensively installed Hennessey map with the stored stock map. If Hennessey is not familiar with the Jaguar ECM there is a good chance you will loose your tune.

2) The TCM will bleed off power if torque parameters are exceeded.

3) There are many more. You will need to do some research.

The Jaguar 5L SC engines are all the same. XKR, XKR-S, XKR-S GT, F-type V8S, F-Type R. All reputable tuners use the base XKR-S or F-Type R map as base and tweak it a bit to gain 50hp or so. Jaguar models with the 510 hp tune have the most to gain with a remap. Again the tuner needs to know what he is doing to keep your tune current. The TCM will need to be tuned also as to not interfere.

With the F-type R being a new model I hope Hennessey is not using you to gain expertise on the car. I certainly would not trust them with my car. I hope you don't have more to worry about than some guy putting scratches and swirl marks in your paint.
Went over all of that during the month I said I was emailing and talking to them. Not telling me anything I don't already know. If the other tuners are so much better and have so much more experience, why does Hennessy back up their work with an extra year and 16,000 miles? Almost double the miles EC covers their work for.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:31 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lunagry
Yes he's good at getting his name out there.

Out of curiosity why did you sell your 2014 GTR? Does anyone get the 1,200 to 1,800 horsepower tunes on the GTR?

Long story. I've owned two 2014 GT-Rs and made money on both, a lot of money. The GT-R is not for everyone and is not my first choice of performance cars. However, I live in snow bound eastern Canada and may need to go back to the AWD GT-R. I prefer to drive my XKR but I don't live in LA. The XKR with it's rear wheel torque is not the easiest car for Canada winter driving. Consequently, my XKR is more of a garage queen than a road warrior. I will buy another GT-R or the next generation GT-R when available because it has AWD.

The guy that bought my GTR is currently doing a 1,000 E85 build on it. Most people who buy GTR's do so because they like to track and drag race. A completely different car than a Jaguar. The GTR is king on the track but the Jaguar is king on the street--much easier to live with in the proper climate.

Last edited by DGL; 09-30-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:50 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Went over all of that during the month I said I was emailing and talking to them. Not telling me anything I don't already know. If the other tuners are so much better and have so much more experience, why does Hennessy back up their work with an extra year and 16,000 miles? Almost double the miles EC covers their work for.

Words are easy to say and contracts are easy write. It's when things go astray, problems and damage happens and it's time to make retribution that matters.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by DGL
Words are easy to say and contracts are easy write. It's when things go astray, problems and damage happens and it's time to make retribution that matters.
Ok I get it, Hennessy is all liars. How does that keep EC from backing their product up for another 16000?

Old 09-30-2014, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Going to try to be the voice of reason here Phillyweb is aware of various issues Hennessey has had. He's gone ahead with the work base on other inputs (friends' experiences). Car has been sent off, wheels are in motion. No real point in belaboring things. Whatever company anyone chooses to tune their cars, I hope it all works out for the best. In the end, we'll just have another data point to compare against (hopefully the data point is positive).

The following 2 users liked this post by shift:
alexg (10-01-2014), schraderade (09-30-2014)
Old 09-30-2014, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by shift
Going to try to be the voice of reason here Phillyweb is aware of various issues Hennessey has had. He's gone ahead with the work base on other inputs (friends' experiences). Car has been sent off, wheels are in motion. No real point in belaboring things. Whatever company anyone chooses to tune their cars, I hope it all works out for the best. In the end, we'll just have another data point to compare against (hopefully the data point is positive).
Hopefully. I had the same concerns just buying a Jag. Besides the stupid paint issue, a power window that forgets how to automatically go up once a week, blind spot sensors that take every other Saturday off, stains on a wheel that took forever to get replaced because England decided to keep the wheel lock key, rumors of them under estimating weight and over estimating hp, and a nice rattle that turned up in the dash after 1k miles, I'd say I'm very happy with the car.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:36 PM

I do have one question though. If I want to list all of my cars in my signature block, do I have to list the super cars or the ones I think are super cars separate, or can I just list them all together?

Old 09-30-2014, 09:01 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

on your instagram I saw an f-type and a delorean. what else do you have?

Old 09-30-2014, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by lunagry
on your instagram I saw an f-type and a delorean. what else do you have?
The chalkboard daily driver that's on there. Left a modded saleen mustang back home. I'm not listing any cars or making a signature block I was just being a smart ***.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

I do have one question though. If I want to list all of my cars in my signature block, do I have to list the super cars or the ones I think are super cars separate, or can I just list them all together?
why don't you tell us your cars first, then we'll be the judge of what is "super"

Old 10-01-2014, 12:34 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am new to the forum and hoping that Hennessey does a great job for you. That gives me and other people on this forum another option. He may even find a way to get even more power out of the engine. Keep us posted. Cecil.......

Old 10-01-2014, 04:46 AM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

Hopefully. I had the same concerns just buying a Jag. Besides the stupid paint issue, a power window that forgets how to automatically go up once a week, blind spot sensors that take every other Saturday off, stains on a wheel that took forever to get replaced because England decided to keep the wheel lock key, rumors of them under estimating weight and over estimating hp, and a nice rattle that turned up in the dash after 1k miles, I'd say I'm very happy with the car.
Dude. Unless you go German, this is normal for most sportscar companies.

If you've ever owned a Ferrari or Aston there are lots of niggles like this. Jaguar is not alone. There are a lot worse marques too when it comes to this kind of stuff. Personally I've owned a RR Evoque for 1 year (driven every day) and not one issue with it and people say RR's are unreliable blah blah blah..... My F-Type, only issue I've had is the ambient lighting not turning on and itll be fixed during my 1 year service in November. You have just been unlucky. Regarding Hennessey, I wish you luck. I hope you do not get burned and if they do a top tune others will consider them, including me so keep us posted.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by alexg
Dude. Unless you go German, this is normal for most sportscar companies.

If you've ever owned a Ferrari or Aston there are lots of niggles like this. Jaguar is not alone. There are a lot worse marques too when it comes to this kind of stuff. Personally I've owned a RR Evoque for 1 year (driven every day) and not one issue with it and people say RR's are unreliable blah blah blah..... My F-Type, only issue I've had is the ambient lighting not turning on and itll be fixed during my 1 year service in November. You have just been unlucky. Regarding Hennessey, I wish you luck. I hope you do not get burned and if they do a top tune others will consider them, including me so keep us posted.
I know. I was making it sound worse than it is on purpose. Sorry, thought it was obvious. Ze Germans are too serious.

The following users liked this post:
alexg (10-01-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Really looking forward to hearing the results of your enhancement and hope it works out well !
I've had three Jag's in a row now, XJR, XKR, and now FtypeR and never a problem with any of them... at least so far..
Lawrence.

Quick Reply: F-Type R on it's way to Hennessy