F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type R Lag at 4K RPM

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 07:18 AM
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Default F-Type R Lag at 4K RPM

Hey, guys - driving a ‘17 F-Type R (bone stock)

Noticing a lag at 4K rpm where the needle stops (maybe even drops a bit) before regaining momentum. Traction control light isn’t coming on, so doubt the car is cutting back my power. Could it be the choppy front wheel assist kicking in? (i.e., I haven’t lost traction but the rears need a hand and the pause/drop is the transfer of power to the fronts) Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,
Rick

Old 03-27-2020, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Could be lots of things, and hard to tell with brief description. How many miles on your car? Any Error/warning lights?

You said "Traction control light isn’t coming on, so doubt the car is cutting back my power.", so why don't you turn off the traction control and verify that first?

Is it a hesitation? Sputtering? or just goes flat? 4-6K hesitation usually points to ignition (coil(s) or plug(s), depending on mileage. Some have also experienced a slipping Supercharger belt...tensioner pully or belt could be worn?

Do you still have a warranty? If so, dealer should be able to tell quickly.

DC

Old 03-27-2020, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Therock88
Could be lots of things, and hard to tell with brief description. How many miles on your car? Any Error/warning lights?

You said "Traction control light isn’t coming on, so doubt the car is cutting back my power.", so why don't you turn off the traction control and verify that first?

Is it a hesitation? Sputtering? or just goes flat? 4-6K hesitation usually points to ignition (coil(s) or plug(s), depending on mileage. Some have also experienced a slipping Supercharger belt...tensioner pully or belt could be worn?

Do you still have a warranty? If so, dealer should be able to tell quickly.

DC
Thanks for the quick response. 15k miles, no error/warning lights. Haven’t tried turning off TC, but will give it a shot. Still have ~2yrs factory warranty on it. Trying to attach a video showing the loss in momentum

Old 03-27-2020, 07:56 AM

Hopefully this worked and there’s an attachment - let me know if not.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ftype_rick
Hopefully this worked and there’s an attachment - let me know if not.
Do not see any attachments yet.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Therock88
Do not see any attachments yet.
File size is too big for the forum and unable to compress enough - do you have an email address I could send the video to / other ideas on sharing?

Old 03-27-2020, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Post the video on Youtube or Google Drive or some other hosting site, then post the link here.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mahjik
Post the video on Youtube or Google Drive or some other hosting site, then post the link here.
Still working to post the video - I’ve got it on Google Drive, but sharing still requires permission.

Regarding the 4K lag, I’m starting to believe after some runs today that it may be the computer and nothing mechanical. My launch was in sport shifting but without paddle shifting activated - it could be that the computer started me in second (not 1st), then did a down shift at 4K into 1st to get better pull. Is anyone aware of the computer doing this? At a standstill puts or keeps you in second when slapping the shifter into sport mode rather than dropping you to first?

Old 03-28-2020, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member

Still working to post the video - I’ve got it on Google Drive, but sharing still requires permission.

Regarding the 4K lag, I’m starting to believe after some runs today that it may be the computer and nothing mechanical. My launch was in sport shifting but without paddle shifting activated - it could be that the computer started me in second (not 1st), then did a down shift at 4K into 1st to get better pull. Is anyone aware of the computer doing this? At a standstill puts or keeps you in second when slapping the shifter into sport mode rather than dropping you to first?
At first. I thought you were having consistent hesitation at 4K RPM while accelerating. Now sounds more like you have a lot of variables going on and seem to be "playing around" with different features. I suggest reviewing the manual (paper or online) and learning about how the different features work. I doubt there is anything actually wrong with your car based on your various posts and questions.

DC

Old 03-28-2020, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Actually, it doesn't. There is an option to create a shareable link that "anyone" who has the link can access the file (regardless of the file type). If you are on a PC, just go to Google Drive in your browser. Right click on your video in it's folder and select "Get Shareable Link". In that menu, enable "Anyone who has the link".

Old 03-28-2020, 12:44 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I know you can’t PM until you reach a minimum number of posts, but perhaps attachments and links are limited too?

Old 03-28-2020, 01:39 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Hey, guys - driving a ‘17 F-Type R (bone stock)

Noticing a lag at 4K rpm where the needle stops (maybe even drops a bit) before regaining momentum. Traction control light isn’t coming on, so doubt the car is cutting back my power. Could it be the choppy front wheel assist kicking in? (i.e., I haven’t lost traction but the rears need a hand and the pause/drop is the transfer of power to the fronts) Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,
Rick
If its a persistant lag around 4K RPM, I would flip the supercharger belt inside out to see if it changes.

Old 03-28-2020, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX
If its a persistant lag around 4K RPM, I would flip the supercharger belt inside out to see if it changes.
your recurrent solution of turning the belt inside out reminds me of the StarTrek remedy for any adverse situation: Reverse the polarity!

The following users liked this post:
BruceTheQuail (04-07-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 408 Likes on 280 Posts

Problem will be car hitting limiter kicking in , next question

Last edited by George05; 03-28-2020 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by George05
Problem will be car hitting limiter kicking in , next question
Eh?
The F-Type has a default rev limiter set at 4,000 rpm, but that is only while sitting still in either N or P.
A VAP tune (and I guess others) removes this.
No doubt the OP is NOT talking about this, he is talking about a flat spot at 4,000 RPM while driving.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Eh?
The F-Type has a default rev limiter set at 4,000 rpm, but that is only while sitting still in either N or P.
A VAP tune (and I guess others) removes this.
No doubt the OP is NOT talking about this, he is talking about a flat spot at 4,000 RPM while driving.
Hi ozzie my bets still on the limiter , jaguar for some reason as you have pointed outy set that to 4000 revs go to top of the class and pour a cuppa tea or what ever you do in ozz . if You remember i had a race chip gs instaled in my xkr it would hit that limiter from a standing start IE. flooring it from 0. jaguar fitted this to stop the engine from exploding it is not a race car. over to you

Old 03-28-2020, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Old 03-28-2020, 09:44 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
your recurrent solution of turning the belt inside out reminds me of the StarTrek remedy for any adverse situation: Reverse the polarity!
It was a fix for me. As long as the behavoir changes, its an 10 min free way to rule-in belt slip. But I didn't realize the Enterprise was supercharged. They probably liked pops and crackles.

Last edited by RacerX; 03-28-2020 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:21 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by George05
Hi ozzie my bets still on the limiter
Out of interest, what's your ratio of wins to losses for your bets?

Old 03-30-2020, 05:16 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

If im reading this correctly, this only happens from a standing start not when accelerating in say 3rd, 4th etc.
Sounds like the car is starting you in 2nd, its supposed to unless you chose 1st and then when you accelerate hard it kicks you down into 1st.
Its definately not a rev limiter as others have said, why would you have a rev limiter at 4k lol

Quick Reply: F-Type R Lag at 4K RPM