Sponsored by:

F-Type R Oil Catch Can DIY

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts
Default F-Type R Oil Catch Can DIY

Hi group,

I decided to put an Oil Catch Can on my F-Type, and documented the approach I took, and put it in a DIY to help others that may decide to do it as well.

I chose to buy a used PCV tube/pipe and sacrifice it, by cutting it and using the snap on end fittings and adding heater/fuel hose to reach the Can. I also installed it in the compartment where the Cabin Air Filter is located, so like most all of my mods/updates it is barely, or un-detectable.

I also decided to do it on the Partial Load side (right/passenger) after reading on how the system is working. The Full Load PCV could be done in a similar fashion and is on the (left/driver) side.

There are many was to do this, and this is just how I chose to do it. Also, not buying or selling on whether or not you should, should not, need, or don't need. The purpose is to offer a way to do it that is neat and tidy, works well, and preserves your OEM PCV tube It is not to debate if they work, or don't work, or if they are needed or not.

I will also add this link to my DIY thread for ease of those searching later.

Take care,
DC

TheRock88's Oil Catch Can DIY

The following 5 users liked this post by Therock88:
blgN8 (11-01-2022), karamayoko (10-28-2022), Phantomf4collector (02-14-2021), WayneB (02-14-2021), XJ8JR (03-05-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 08:34 AM
EdG
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Great write up, once again. Has intake valve "crud" build up been a documented issue? There are high mileage F-type out there now. I have not heard of the need for walnut blasting that is required for some BMW and VW direct injection engines. Just curious.

Old 02-14-2021, 10:47 AM
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Just curious. My experience with catch cans is they tend to smell. Is that a vented can or just a closed circuit you will drain once in a awhile? Because an open vented can will cause a smell next to the cabin filter.
Also, let me know how much you collect in the next month or so. Theres always water build up in these things and they need attention after so many miles or they end up filling up and dumping a bunch of crap oil/water into the system.

Old 02-14-2021, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by EdG
Great write up, once again. Has intake valve "crud" build up been a documented issue? There are high mileage F-type out there now. I have not heard of the need for walnut blasting that is required for some BMW and VW direct injection engines. Just curious.
Thank you !

As I said, I am not suggesting it is needed or not. It is, however, a fact that GDI engines do tend to gunk up, and I have actually seen many cars of various brands needing them. Jaguars would be no different.
I simply did it because it won't hurt, may help, and was relatively cheap. I am hoping between this and the Water/Methanol Injection system I built/installed, it will help clean the top of the engine much cleaner.
When I have a chance (if I ever get to drive it again) I will check to see what it is catching if anything? It has a nice drain on it, so should be easy...

You can also use the top-end cleaners like CRC and BG 44K to help keep the valves, etc. cleaner. Many seem to feel that helps.
Here are some others' posts on the subjectthere are many more)
LINK1
LINK2

Take care,
DC

Old 02-14-2021, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart Satter
Just curious. My experience with catch cans is they tend to smell. Is that a vented can or just a closed circuit you will drain once in a awhile? Because an open vented can will cause a smell next to the cabin filter.
Also, let me know how much you collect in the next month or so. Theres always water build up in these things and they need attention after so many miles or they end up filling up and dumping a bunch of crap oil/water into the system.
If I smell oil at all in this system I have done something wrong and will have other issues. I did NOT vent this system, so it is sealed and just filters out additional oil/water/crap potentially. You can vent them, but I chose the closed/sealed install. Will see what I end up catching in it.

DC

Old 02-15-2021, 06:55 AM

I like the idea and I hate how tight that L shaped hose is on the side of the blower. When I took mine off, I saw some oil and water. So Think Ill make one too. Thanks for the idea!

Old 02-18-2021, 02:52 PM
EdG
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Can you send us an update with how much oil you "catch" and over how many miles?

Old 02-18-2021, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by EdG
Can you send us an update with how much oil you "catch" and over how many miles?
Sure can...Once I can start driving it again! Maybe April?? 🤷

DC

Old 02-19-2021, 07:41 AM

Looking for cool place to install it in view. Also, easy access to drain it. Any suggestions?

I hate this snow.... We have 2 feet on the ground here.

Old 02-19-2021, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart Satter
Looking for cool place to install it in view. Also, easy access to drain it. Any suggestions?

I hate this snow.... We have 2 feet on the ground here.
It is really tight in there, and you have to consider how to run the hoses. You may be able to fit it on the outside of the Cabin Air Box...It appeared there was enough room...except I have a Methanol/Water Solenoid there on mine. Tried to depict it with a picture below??

There are really not many options that I could find (Plus I wanted mine hidden). Maybe others have some better ideas.

DC

Old 03-05-2021, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member

Update:

After 1 month and ~350 Miles the Catch Can had maybe 1 - 1/2 Teaspoons of pure, clean looking oil. No apparent water or moisture...just oil. Hard to get a good photo since the can is black anodized aluminum …but you get the general idea.

DC

The following 3 users liked this post by Therock88:
Phantomf4collector (03-08-2021), Reaxions (09-27-2022), XJ8JR (03-05-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 07:01 AM

Thats not bad. Looks like your car is running pretty good.

Old 02-28-2022, 02:01 PM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts

Thank you Rock for the DIY instructions and the support over the weekend a few weeks ago. I finally got around to finishing the installation of an ADDW1 oil catch can. Took about 2 hours and was relatively easy. I threw an in-line check valve to prevent any reverse flow.

I’ll post up results after 500 and 1000 miles which shouldn’t take too long because I drive quite a bit.

The following 2 users liked this post by datriani:
Reaxions (09-27-2022), Therock88 (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by datriani
Thank you Rock for the DIY instructions and the support over the weekend a few weeks ago. I finally got around to finishing the installation of an ADDW1 oil catch can. Took about 2 hours and was relatively easy. I threw an in-line check valve to prevent any reverse flow.

I’ll post up results after 500 and 1000 miles which shouldn’t take too long because I drive quite a bit.
Nice work! Looks professional.

DC

Old 02-28-2022, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Therock88
Nice work! Looks professional.

DC
Thank you, sir.

Old 02-28-2022, 07:25 PM
Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

These posts reminded me of a pcv breather I replaced on my 330 back in 2014. I opened it to see for myself. The vaned section on the right is supposed to spin under engine vacuum and separate the solid back down the dipstick and the vapor back to the valve cover, if memory serves. It works until it doesn't. Pic is from 2014. I didn't save the part.

Old 03-04-2022, 04:06 AM
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by davidmaria1

These posts reminded me of a pcv breather I replaced on my 330 back in 2014. I opened it to see for myself. The vaned section on the right is supposed to spin under engine vacuum and separate the solid back down the dipstick and the vapor back to the valve cover, if memory serves. It works until it doesn't. Pic is from 2014. I didn't save the part.
BMW breather/vacuum hose systems are a nightmare. Try replacing the CCV hoses on an E46 without taking the intake manifold off...

More on topic, the catch can looks like a success from the results posted. I'm intrigued to see what it looks like over the course of 1000+ miles.

Old 03-04-2022, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
BMW breather/vacuum hose systems are a nightmare. Try replacing the CCV hoses on an E46 without taking the intake manifold off...

More on topic, the catch can looks like a success from the results posted. I'm intrigued to see what it looks like over the course of 1000+ miles.
I have had mine on for a while. Pretty consistent results...Small amount each time I check(ed) it. I still never see moisture/water - Just pure oil, and only as small amount.

One thing I noticed early on, was that you need very stiff hoses. I started hearing a weird sound at idle, and I was able to determine that a hose was collapsing when it got hot enough.
So be sure not to use cheap, or flimsy hoses. You want a good solid wall on them so they do not collapse and become restrictive.

DC

The following users liked this post:
Reaxions (09-27-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 07:24 AM
Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

I like the relative simplicity. Attempting to recycle and/or separate vapor and solids is futile. I wonder if direct injected engines are more or less prone to oil/water issues from short trips.

Old 03-09-2022, 09:38 AM

Just checked the oil catch can after about 600 miles and there’s about 1/3” of oil in there. I didn’t empty it and will keep driving until 1000 and provide another update.

Not sure if it’s my imagination but the idle seems to sound a little bit smoother. Is that possible?

Quick Reply: F-Type R Oil Catch Can DIY