F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type R Performance VAP and other Upgrades Coming!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts
Default F-Type R Performance VAP and other Upgrades Coming!

Hi Group...

Been a little while since I posted or did any DIY's. Mainly been cleaning and driving the car a little. The only new gadget was the Dragy, which I have barely used...But plan to do more...

Soooo....Now I decided to order a pile of stuff and go at it on my R, and guess I will forego most of the warranty benefits, but will just pray more often

My Plan is...

NGK Iridium Plugs - Heat Range 8 (one range cooler than stock) - Gapped to .036 (is what I have seen) - Someone speak up if you know differently??
VAP ECU Stage 2 Tune - Ordered today!
VAP Lower/Crank Pulley - Ordered today! (I have a Black pulley on mine)
Methanol / Water Injection Kit - Looking at a few kits and leaning to Snow Performance or AEM. I have read all of the posts (I think) and online and cannot find much on this, so will be adventuring on this one. Any help, instruction, pictures appreciated.I am likely just going to use for cooling and octane improvements and not tune for/rely on it for anything more. (SAFETY)! Also hoping to tap into the Mina Gallery Upper Intake for nozzles and not drill into the large aluminum intake on top of the engine.

As usual...I will take photos, and share what I learn, and create DIY articles where possible.

Any constructive info anyone wants to share or help offered is welcomed and appreciated as well.

I Will post as, and when I get things done...Currently have 0 parts and unclear on a few items related to the Methanol approach...but will keep learning!....And waiting on parts and free time

DC

Last edited by Therock88; 09-09-2020 at 12:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
madmax1911 (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Sounds exciting, are you also planning to upgrade intercooler and remove engine cover to keep it cooler?

Old 09-09-2020, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
Sounds exciting, are you also planning to upgrade intercooler and remove engine cover to keep it cooler?
Took the engine cover off day 2 I am thinking I should get plenty of cooling with Methanol Injection (up to 100 degrees reduction in IAT)....So likely not going to go for IC upgrade just yet. Plus they do not appear to be giving them away...haha. Kind of pricey. So pacing myself...a little.

Thanks
DC

The following users liked this post:
SinF (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Therock88
Plus they do not appear to be giving them away...

Old 09-09-2020, 05:48 PM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

Will be following with enthusiasm 👍

Old 09-09-2020, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by madmax1911
You mean...Following with enthu$ia$m Trickiest part so far is trying to figure out the Meth Kit....not a lot of info...Will keep searching other forums and the web to see what info I can glean and transition to this format...

Now we wait for the delivery services.....

DC

Old 09-10-2020, 11:45 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You mean...Following with enthu$ia$m Trickiest part so far is trying to figure out the Meth Kit....not a lot of info...Will keep searching other forums and the web to see what info I can glean and transition to this format...

Now we wait for the delivery services.....

DC
Sounds like a very cool project, not inexpensive for sure. Looking forward to your results as well!

Old 09-10-2020, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Some thoughts on the Meth/H20....Reached out to VAP and Vieuza to see if they can help with a reference for boost? Still noodling in my head how I am going to do that, and need some info to help. Welcome any thoughts, as this can truly be a community project at my expense (but do not get offended if I do not use your idea )

Some Pics below on my initial thoughts. May change drastically when I start getting parts and decide on the Meth kit...

Going to see if I can get by with one center nozzle to reduce plumbing...and cost...If not will split and go with two...

Thinking voltage from one of these two sensors may give me my trigger pressure for the Meth controller? Not sure if the vacuum line on the right side (where I spray the PEA cleaner would work??)

Also hoping the Tank may fit in the opening in the picture...I looked n there and lots of room, when I remove that crappy alarm horn (tried 3 diff horns, and still sound horrible)....Will try to put the pump under the tank in that space also?? Another option kits offer is to re-purpose the Windshield solution reservoir...That will be choice D or F

Any thoughts or info or experiences or pictures appreciated! If I get all this to work without grenading my car, I will capture and share it with others for future posterity!

DC

Last edited by Therock88; 09-10-2020 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Did you check out the threads by Philly Single? He ported his supercharger and did NOS and Methanol injection (he put both tanks in the trunk of his vert). I can't remember his 1/4 mile times but I'm pretty sure they were the fastest ones posted on this forum.

Old 09-10-2020, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
Did you check out the threads by Philly Single? He ported his supercharger and did NOS and Methanol injection (he put both tanks in the trunk of his vert). I can't remember his 1/4 mile times but I'm pretty sure they were the fastest ones posted on this forum.
Hi....Yes I have read most threads.....including that one. I got excited at the first few posts, then it just fizzled and died like many others!

Forum ediquette....If you start something, you should always close the loop! Drives me crazy when people say...."Taking it to the shop tomorrow to see what the issue is"....Then nuthin'

Take care,
DC

Old 09-10-2020, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Hi....Yes I have read most threads.....including that one. I got excited at the first few posts, then it just fizzled and died like many others!

Forum ediquette....If you start something, you should always close the loop! Drives me crazy when people say...."Taking it to the shop tomorrow to see what the issue is"....Then nuthin'

Take care,
DC
+1. That usually means "no significant improvement" or "catastrophic disaster". But knowing the details of failure are as valuable to this forum as successes.
BTW, what methanol consumption rate do you anticipate under full throttle (maybe ounces/gallon of fuel burnt)? I've always imagined you'd need a 5 gal. drum of the stuff for a 45 minute track session.

Old 09-10-2020, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Take care,
DC
He seems to have closed the loop in this thread. He eventually got a 1/4 mile ET of 10.41 with a 135.89 trap speed on drag radials

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...ly-10s-164645/

Old 09-10-2020, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
He seems to have closed the loop in this thread. He eventually got a 1/4 mile ET of 10.41 with a 135.89 trap speed on drag radials
That 11.02 is what I remember; "All boost with meth/water injection / ported blower". For reference, I ran an 11.01 (as an AWD, almost identical 60') without the meth or ported blower, so logic says they didn't make a huge difference. I think we need more data to be sure...

The big question for me is if the meth/water will help with cooling to prevent the motor from pulling power/torque when hot lapping... we'd need to talk to VAP or similar to be sure, but so much of the tuning in this car is based on "calculated" values, which would need to be changed somehow if you were able to keep the motor cooler. If the motor is de-rating based on calculated values, the introduction of meth, bigger intercooler or an improve intercooler pump may provide no power/longevity benefit even though they physically improve cooling.

Old 09-10-2020, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1. That usually means "no significant improvement" or "catastrophic disaster". But knowing the details of failure are as valuable to this forum as successes.
BTW, what methanol consumption rate do you anticipate under full throttle (maybe ounces/gallon of fuel burnt)? I've always imagined you'd need a 5 gal. drum of the stuff for a 45 minute track session.
Well...That is a great question....And I am no expert...Just a willing participant Took me 20 years to become an expert with Porsches, and I am certainly no Jaguar expert or engineer.

Still pouring over lots of info and learning what I can, and going to give it a shot (no pun intended ). One kit I am leaning to will have a nozzle appropriately sized for 600-700 HP range (that is how they gauge it) and will/can spray 625 ML/MIN (~0.6 qts/min), based on boost level....i.e. will start spraying x% at say 3 PSI and will ramp up to y% at 9 PSI....So with a 1 gallon tank at full boost you could go for about 6 1/2 minutes or so....That would be at full boost. I usually just do straight shots, like 1/2 mile shootouts in my 997 Turbo....So that would last me all day ~ 20 WOT runs?? Just my Jethro Cypherin'

Again still learning and handling lots of other tasks. My plan is to get the ECU file downloaded and sent to VAP first. Then Install Pulley and wait for tune to come back....Then drive it for a day or so....Then add the Heat Range 8 Plugs....run a bit more....Then try the Meth/H20.

That way I can isolate better if I create a problem. If I throw it all on there at once and it craps out....I will have no idea what caused it ....Done that on building computers and cars before...lesson learned

DC

Last edited by Therock88; 09-10-2020 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stohlen
That 11.02 is what I remember; "All boost with meth/water injection / ported blower". For reference, I ran an 11.01 (as an AWD, almost identical 60') without the meth or ported blower, so logic says they didn't make a huge difference. I think we need more data to be sure...

The big question for me is if the meth/water will help with cooling to prevent the motor from pulling power/torque when hot lapping... we'd need to talk to VAP or similar to be sure, but so much of the tuning in this car is based on "calculated" values, which would need to be changed somehow if you were able to keep the motor cooler. If the motor is de-rating based on calculated values, the introduction of meth, bigger intercooler or an improve intercooler pump may provide no power/longevity benefit even though they physically improve cooling.
Yep...No idea actually....If I get cooling and / or some effective Octane / knock improvement great. If nothing else....I have seen where this stuff keeps the engines cleaner, which is an issue with these GDI not running fuel over the valves?
We will see,...if I am able to get it figured out, and installed! Haha

DC

???

Old 09-10-2020, 08:55 PM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax1911
Ditto

Old 09-12-2020, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Okay....A little more info. I was advised by Chris at VAP that I should likely NOT put spray nozzles in front of the Throttle Body as it will saturate two sensors and give inaccurate readings....That is why I ask a lot of questions before I do mods!!

So now it appears to be a bit more involved. I am likely going to have to remove the intake/plenum and drill a hole (or two if I decide on two nozzles) in the top. Also, appears I can perhaps get a boost reference from that sensor on the left intercooler, or I have seen elsewhere a tap into the backside of that plenum as well? Still working through options....More to come. This will likely be the last of the 4 upgrades I do.....Lower Pulley....Then add Tune (as I have to with the pulley)....Then drive/test for a bit....Then do the Plugs.....drive/test again.....Then add the Meth/H20....Then drive/test again.

Then I will say, I am done with mods for a bit. Then come upstairs and get on my computer and find something else, like a TCU tune....and there we go again . Perhaps when my ECU Tune/etc. gets here I will sell the RaceChip since I will have no use for it and it only has about 1000 miles on it?? That will help with more mod funding....haha

More to come....

DC

Last edited by Therock88; 09-12-2020 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:17 PM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

Okay....A little more info. I was advised by Chris at VAP that I should likely NOT put spray nozzles in front of the Throttle Body as it will saturate two sensors and give inaccurate readings....That is why I ask a lot of questions before I do mods!!

So now it appears to be a bit more involved. I am likely going to have to remove the intake/plenum and drill a hole (or two if I decide on two nozzles) in the top. Also, appears I can perhaps get a boost reference from that sensor on the left intercooler, or I have seen elsewhere a tap into the backside of that plenum as well? Still working through options....More to come. This will likely be the last of the 4 upgrades I do.....Lower Pulley....Then add Tune (as I have to with the pulley)....Then drive/test for a bit....Then do the Plugs.....drive/test again.....Then add the Meth/H20....Then drive/test again.

Then I will say, I am done with mods for a bit. Then come upstairs and get on my computer and find something else, like a TCU tune....and there we go again . Perhaps when my ECU Tune/etc. gets here I will sell the RaceChip since I will have no use for it and it only has about
1000 miles on it?? That will help with more mod funding....haha

More to come....

DC
Sounds like a well thought out plan. Now hurry up and get this done so I can leach off your experience
Don't feel used though, you and this board have helped me spend plenty of money, so there's that, LOL.

Old 09-12-2020, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Well...That is a great question....And I am no expert...Just a willing participant Took me 20 years to become an expert with Porsches, and I am certainly no Jaguar expert or engineer.

Still pouring over lots of info and learning what I can, and going to give it a shot (no pun intended ). One kit I am leaning to will have a nozzle appropriately sized for 600-700 HP range (that is how they gauge it) and will/can spray 625 ML/MIN (~0.6 qts/min), based on boost level....i.e. will start spraying x% at say 3 PSI and will ramp up to y% at 9 PSI....So with a 1 gallon tank at full boost you could go for about 6 1/2 minutes or so....That would be at full boost. I usually just do straight shots, like 1/2 mile shootouts in my 997 Turbo....So that would last me all day ~ 20 WOT runs?? Just my Jethro Cypherin'

Again still learning and handling lots of other tasks. My plan is to get the ECU file downloaded and sent to VAP first. Then Install Pulley and wait for tune to come back....Then drive it for a day or so....Then add the Heat Range 8 Plugs....run a bit more....Then try the Meth/H20.

That way I can isolate better if I create a problem. If I throw it all on there at once and it craps out....I will have no idea what caused it ....Done that on building computers and cars before...lesson learned

DC
Doesn't sound practical for a track. Much more suited for the strip like nitro.

Old 09-13-2020, 07:54 AM
Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Then I will say, I am done with mods for a bit. Then come upstairs and get on my computer and find something else, like a TCU tune....and there we go again . Perhaps when my ECU Tune/etc. gets here I will sell the RaceChip since I will have no use for it and it only has about 1000 miles on it?? That will help with more mod funding....haha

More to come....

DC
great timing As VelocityAP released thier data logger and should be shipped out in a couple of weeks! Great initiative! I’ll follow suit as I’m going to push my car as well! Currently adding half a can of Boostane to every 20 gallons of 93oct so might as well add meth into the mix as well ! 😅

Quick Reply: F-Type R Performance VAP and other Upgrades Coming!